• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Air/Platform game

Kaloshade1

Smash Rookie
I have always played Lucas from the ground, and it has worked well. But as I get to the higher levels, I notice if my opponent jumps up onto a platform I get lost. I fumble around, I shoot PK Freeze randomly, I have no idea what to do to punish. Same goes for people who prefer an air fight. When a wario or a jiggs jump are shooting out Fairs/Bairs, I just sit there wondering wtf do I do? Anyone have any advice?

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
You stay on the ground. Simple as that.

Lucas is not very good at combating aerial characters.

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
^ basically that

Lucas' ground to air combat sucks and you'll either trade or end up getting hit in an effort to catch opponents falling down.

==

Using triangle stages as an example (Battlefield, Dreamland, FoD in some cases, Yoshi's Story), but mainly keeping Battlefield in mind --

If you're down and need to approach, see how patient your opponent is first. Most people only try platform camping for a short while to get their opponent to throw out something unsafe so they can get a free punish. If the opponent is reluctant to approach (see: Westballz vs Armada game 1 at TBH4), then use the side platform to force them down onto the side platform / main stage.

If you're simply saying "jigglypuff & Wario jump in the air and use their back air to poke & approach at me, I need to counter this," then absolutely only stage grounded. Find openings between their hits and make them uncomfortable with tighter spacing. Best examples on how to close space vs Jiggs would be Mango/Armada vs Hbox. They are proficient at using their shield & wavedashing / dash dancing around these aerials.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
woah woah woah woah woah woah woah
djc is like, best aerial tool in the game (edit: forgot about hover but whateva), you can definitely challenge any character with the right djc/wavebounce mixups.

i dont wanna discredit anyone's advice here, but definitely try experiment with varied djc timings/wavebounced mag or pkf to see how you can weave around hitboxes.

Last edited:

D e l t a

If I'm going up and they have a move that goes down, odds are that I'll lose the exchange

Not saying that you can't ever try going up there to attack an opponent, but good players will see your full jump a mile away. Especially if they're intentionally platform camping

If they absolutely refuse to come down, I guess you could try throwing PKT1 up there and force them down as a last resort.

Almost always, patience is key to beating platform camping

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
Sorry Jamwa, I'm sticking with my opinion on staying grounded.

I've tried using DJC vs characters in the air and it hardly make a difference if they're above me. Most characters are still going to either have better aerial mobility or bigger hitboxes (or both) to challenge the aerials that Lucas throws out. There's really no reason NOT stay grounded when that is where Lucas still keeps all of his options. Full hops are pretty telegraphed, but if the opponent is low enough in the air to where you can DJC and land quickly while hitting them, then they probably arent doing a very good job of air camping.

There's also the fact that full hop -> DJC aerial vs someone above me leads to like...such a weak punish. You get one or two hits max when you could be getting a huge amount of damage or even a whole stock by converting off of a hit closer to the ground.

You dont camp on a platform and NOT see someones full jump coming. Even if you were to do something like DJC uairs from under a platform, they still have enough time to shield drop punish or even move to a different platform. It's a game of patience and showing them that you're not going to lose your **** just because they started platform/air camping is a good way to mentally tell them that you don't really give a damn that they're trying to camp you.

I can see magnet vs characters on a platform being decent since you'll be able to descend and land on the platform, giving you youre jump back for a longer punish, but other than that I'll stick to the ground 90% of the time unless I know my opponent has bad aerials (vs aerial characters) or bad OoS options (vs platform camping)

People also seem to hate when I start charging for OU while they're platform camping... Gets em almost every time and they try to either interrupt me or prevent me from fully charging. And if they still don't approach it's cool. I'll wait.

Last edited:

D e l t a

People also seem to hate when I start charging for OU while they're platform camping... Gets em almost every time and they try to either interrupt me or prevent me from fully charging. And if they still don't approach it's cool. I'll wait.
Literally this

Also, OU upsmash can hit shielded opponents on the top platform of battlefield lol

Top Bottom