• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Air grabs? good or bad

ksadkiller

Smash Apprentice
how would you guys feel if they put the ability to grab in the air, like bowser's forwardb except everyone can do it with Z, you know. i personally think it would be kind of cool, as long as they have it run smoothly im for it

Mistle

Smash Apprentice
I would actually really like to see this in the game. I can image great aerial combos with air grabs. They'd have to make 'em pretty smooth though, because if they were kinder rough and tricky to do, it could ruin the whole concept.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Sounds like an awesome idea.

I always wondered why you couldn't do it in the past games... but maybe I'm just weird.

iMichael

Smash Lord
wow air grabs?! think of the possibilities....we'd come up with some of the craziest combos

Roadie-Toe Joe

Smash Cadet
Sounds like a great idea.

I imagine it would be useful for recovering, for instance grabbing someone just before they try to meteor you, turning the tables as you land safely on the platform. =)

tiger81

Smash Rookie
I think air grabs could be implemented smoothly. I would like to see it.

Revven

FrankerZ
But, wouldn't that somewhat ruin Link's and Samus' way of getting back onto the platform with their hookshot/chain? How would it work if say your opponent jumped off on purpose to stop you from grabbing onto the ledge by getting in the way of the hookshot/chain causing you to grab the opponent and commit suicide (hey, it's a possibility! :p)

It's a nice idea though. However, I think an air grab should allow diagonal throwing as well. So, you can throw your opponent off to the corner if need be. You can't do that on the ground, so it'd make the air grabs more unique.

Eaode

Smash Champion
what is the point of air grabs?? They'd be incredibly redundatn with atacks, except for the fact that they introduce a lot of problems like universal suicides.

The only point of grabbing is to counter someone who is shielding, so they aren't invulnerable. There are no shields in the air (and that idea is also pretty dumb) so air grabbing is pretty unnecessary

Wreked

Smash Lord
I could see this happening. What would be cool if you grab them in the air then press down on the D Pad and you and the person you're holding plummets down to the ground where you hit his/her head. Think Kirby's up grab.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Aerial grab techniques would definitely shake up the competitive smash scene. I personally think it would be a bad idea because aerial attacks are essentially a trade off. In exchange for fast high-knockback moves, the character sacrifices the ability to shield and grab. If characters had all options available to them both on the air and in the ground, it would be much harder to win. >_<

ksadkiller

Smash Apprentice
samus airgrab would be sweet :D
yea i can imagine it, like an air grab from a distance. but i think air grabs would over power aerial attacks. like people wouldnt even bother with aerials if they can just grab em and keep doing it and stuff

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
Aerial grab techniques would definitely shake up the competitive smash scene. I personally think it would be a bad idea because aerial attacks are essentially a trade off. In exchange for fast high-knockback moves, the character sacrifices the ability to shield and grab. If characters had all options available to them both on the air and in the ground, it would be much harder to win. >_<
Yup, attacking from the ground would be useless...

Melee is already a game that focuses heavily on aerial approches.

cubican62

Smash Cadet
IMO this would be even better if there were different throws for aerial and ground grabs.

Frogla

Smash Ace
I vote no we already have people just about doing infinite combos.

Grab-Throw Down- Up Tilt- Air Grab - Air Throw Down- Dair- Up Tilt-Air Grab
The cycle continues

Adi

Smash Lord
Yeah I could see potentially dangerous situations but than again, everything has the potential to be completely exploited to the point of being completely imbalanced so eh, if they do it well by all means that'd be cool.

Hallowed Storm

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I think they would be a good move to add to the game.
Even if you couldn't throw in the air, I think it would be cool to hold onto the opponent and spiral downward, or tackle them in midair and drive them into the ground.

Teben

Smash Apprentice
I think they should be left to specific characters, like it was done with falcon and bowser and ganon. Provides some uniqueness.

Xanderous

Smash Lord
I'm all for aerial grabs, but it seems like they would be pretty difficult to implement and exceptionally hard to balance.

If they can do that, however, I'm totally for it.

I was thinking about this the other night. Implementing this would be pretty pluasable.

Here's my idea:

Fox example, when you Air Dodge, there is a 30 frame window (approximately), and within those frames, there are invincibility frames by which you can't be damaged. Now, what if the amount of frames for the Air Grab was the same as the Air Dodge? It would possibly work, and it can be balanced.

When you grab an opponent, you remain in the air for a breif period just like the Air Dodge, but the amount of time you have to throw has the same amount of time as the Air Dodge. So if you don't hit a direction within the 30 frame window, your opponent will break free.

The throw velocity will vary based on damage(Melee Terms, assuming that Brawls throws increase in strength). So don't expect to get an easy kill.

I'm thinking whether or not that the Air Grab should count as a 3rd jump.

Any ideas?

@ Frogla

Name me one character besides Fox that can do an infinite?

Not to mention using the DrillShine infinite combo is crappy and can only work on a few characters. DrillShines only work on noobs who play with Link.

And that combo can't be looped considering the percentage increase.

Frogla

Smash Ace
@ Frogla

Name me one character besides Fox that can do an infinite?

Not to mention using the DrillShine infinite combo is crappy and can only work on a few characters. DrillShines only work on noobs who play with Link.

And that combo can't be looped considering the percentage increase.
Ice Climbers...

Top Bottom