• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ain't

Kri3o

Smash Apprentice
Hanging out with my badass dragon friends in Chica
Link to original post: [drupal=1114]Ain't[/drupal]

So about yesterday I was in one my collage art classes. I was talking to my friends while the teacher was explaining a new lesson (as always) and I said "No way dude, you ain't going pass the test." to someone and the teacher heard me and gave me a detention for talking and another one for saying the word "ain't". I always say ain't all the time so I couldn't help saying that word. I said back to my teacher "what! That's ain't right to give me a detention just for that." and again I got another detention.

So is "ain't" really a word?

The Dinkoman

Smash Lord
Isn't ain't a combination of "am not", but also used for "is not", "are not", "has not", or "have not"?

So every time you say ain't go back through your head and say the words or phrases ain't is supposed to mean and see if it makes any sense if it does it's a word if it doesn't well, you get the point.

The furosious robot has left

Smash Journeyman
I think it is a word.
as a matter of fact:
ain't (ānt) Pronunciation Key
Nonstandard

1. Contraction of am not.
2. Used also as a contraction for are not, is not, has not, and have not.

Kri3o

Smash Apprentice
Hanging out with my badass dragon friends in Chica
I think it is a word.
as a matter of fact:
ain't (?nt) Pronunciation Key
Nonstandard

1. Contraction of am not.
2. Used also as a contraction for are not, is not, has not, and have not.
Yeah I know all that crap but my teacher says it's not but it's slang.

She used to be an english teacher so she takes her english WAY too seriously.

The furosious robot has left

Smash Journeyman
Your not it COLLEGE! they dont give detention in college and you cant even spell right

edit:My stupid sister who can't even sign up for her own account fails epicly (stupid bimbo).

Chaco

Never Logs In
Ain't is proper English in the south. Lol. I swear even our English Teachers use it.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Lol, you should've told your teacher to shut the hell up.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I think when enough people use the word, it becomes a a word, but it is still slang...right?

Scyphozoa

Smash Cadet
Ain't is not a word, but a contraction. While it is perfectly okay to use when talking to your friends, it should never be used formally. All contractions should never be used formally. Writing out, "Josh is not going to the movies," looks a lot better than, "Josh ain't going to the movies." The same thing goes for, "Cyrus was not at the movies," instead of, "Cyrus wasn't at the movies."

/grammarnazi

bobson

Smash Lord
Ain't is common enough in the vernacular that it should by all means be a word at this point. The only reason it isn't "officially" recognized as a word by now is because the "ain't is only used by the ignorant lower class" meme started up by overzealous prescriptivists managed to work its way into general public consciousness.

Writing out, "Josh is not going to the movies," looks a lot better than, "Josh ain't going to the movies." The same thing goes for, "Cyrus was not at the movies," instead of, "Cyrus wasn't at the movies."
On both counts to me the contractions appear more natural and the alternatives stiff.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
To me "Josh isn't going to the movies" seems better than both...

Officially, ain't isn't a word. it's slang, but not really an official word. Still, getting punished for using it is a bit extreme...

I don't know, it's like saying "dunno" instead of "don't know".

Personally, I don't like using ain't, but that's probably because I'm an english major. There's really no reason to look down upon anyone who uses it.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
It ain't slang anymore because everyone uses it. I think "cuz" should be a word cuz when people are talking seriously who actually says "because?" lol everyone just says cuz...

Top Bottom