• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Against CPU's

SilentFalcon

Smash Apprentice
Ok, a question to all you pro Brawl falco's out there...

When you practice against CPU's, (which I assume you do) do you consistently 3-stock all CPU's?

Personally, I don't. A lot of battle are easy, but a few of them like MK, Peach, etc. I just can't beat perfectly.

(I obviously never lose to CPU's though... LOL)

Thanks,

SF

LikeTheWhirlwind

Smash Rookie
I'll start about by saying that practing against level 9's is really only good for working on your defense. Real players act nothing like CPU's as far as offense goes.

With that said: MK and Peach are kind of difficult matchups for Falco, so don't feel bad. But I typically 3 or 2 stock most CPU opponents when I do play them. Especially the ones that are chaingrabbable.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
what if you could make the cpu and put them against other cpus?

SilentFalcon

Smash Apprentice
Ok, I realize they're nothing like humans, but I've heard that pros like MewtwoKing, KoreanDJ, etc. always had practiced against CPU's.

Besides, I can't be expected to drag a friend over to my house every day to play Brawl! How else do you upkeep skills?

null55

Smash Master
Ok, I realize they're nothing like humans, but I've heard that pros like MewtwoKing, KoreanDJ, etc. always had practiced against CPU's.

Besides, I can't be expected to drag a friend over to my house every day to play Brawl! How else do you upkeep skills?
No they don't.

You have to play people to get better. It's best if those people that are better than you.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Just work on wifi to get used to character match-ups.

Or go to IRL tournaments. CPU's won't help at all.

Zanoske

Smash Journeyman
Just work on wifi to get used to character match-ups.

Or go to IRL tournaments. CPU's won't help at all.
This or don't practice at all. But usually i just practice my techs on computers but not actually practicing my metagame. Much like melee with the advanced techs.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Mm, elaborate on what CPU's can do to make you better.

Come up with a good reason, I'll probaly change my opininion on them.

JordPWN

Smash Cadet
Stop being pretentious. Any practice is good practice. Just don't expect a real person to react the same way. Obviously he's asking because he can't play against friends all the time.

There's no better way to hone your dexterity than against a CPU who's far more capable of powershielding every hit, and it helps you practice timing of certain moves (such as the SHL and SHDL) without projectile spam or excessive amounts of pressure to perform. What's better, to practice against someone predictable, or not to practice at all? As long as you realize that it's a computer (which I'm sure the empty seat next to you would affirm) I'm pretty sure you're always going to get better.

There's been a lot of bad advice on these boards lately...

Post Scriptum
Don't use Fair. Ever.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
``There has also been speculation that the AI at level 9 reads button commands and reacts accordingly, which has sparked anger among some smashers who feel that the AI should be made better rather than do what they term as 'cheating'. Some inconclusive experiments were performed by the SLAPAHO crew to see if this allegation is true, and though no definitive results were obtained, their findings justify future experimentation and research.`` -SmashWiki
This was posted awhile ago, but if they do read your button movements, it could help somewhat with teching. Possibly if they knew where you were going to move to next. As to SHL and SHDL, they would probaly just use their Reflector or start shooting Ground lasers immediately.

My opinion. I agree with you guys whatsoever I guess. For the TC as well. :\

LikeTheWhirlwind

Smash Rookie
This was posted awhile ago, but if they do read your button movements, it could help somewhat with teching. Possibly if they knew where you were going to move to next. As to SHL and SHDL, they would probaly just use their Reflector or start shooting Ground lasers immediately.

My opinion. I agree with you guys whatsoever I guess. For the TC as well. :\

It's my opinion that the lvl9 AI most definately does react to button inputs, sometimes at super-human speeds. The AI has the potential to react to a button push one frame after you do it. I suspect they did not make the AI THAT unfair. If that was the case, you'd never score a hit on them unless you were responding to end-lag on one of their moves.

SilentFalcon

Smash Apprentice
Actually, it's been proved that the "playing ability" of lvl 8's and lvl 9's are exactly the same,

Except... a lvl 8's reaction time has been matched to a human, whilst a lvl 9's has been matched slightly above... Therefore, it actually doesn't matter whether you practice against lvl 8's or 9's...

But yes, I practice against computers, being fully aware that they are computers, and only have set ways of playing. I would play over WiFi, but the 1/3 second lag or whatever is dreadful.
I hate having to push the buttons, and then watch my character pwn...
I might as well be playing Fire Emblem or something... LOL

SF

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Mm, I agree with you LTW.

Silent, it doesn't, but there isn't actually a point to practicing against CPU's; My opinion. But if you find it useful, or just want to play against them, go ahead. Nothing is stopping you ;].

And Fire Emblem rocks >_>.

BlackYoshi7

Smash Apprentice
They do help tech skills. Just getting the timing down on things, movements, and such. They don't DI that well so don't use them to help work out strings and such (guaranteed combos, such as the Gatling, don't really matter and you can practice it all you want.)

SilentFalcon

Smash Apprentice
I have another question...

Well, personally, when I play against someone (a human), I'll find the best and worst games I've played. Then I'll save the replays, and watch them later, to see what I should improve upon...

Does anyone else do this, just out of curiosity?

Zanoske

Smash Journeyman
Actually, it's been proved that the "playing ability" of lvl 8's and lvl 9's are exactly the same,

Except... a lvl 8's reaction time has been matched to a human, whilst a lvl 9's has been matched slightly above... Therefore, it actually doesn't matter whether you practice against lvl 8's or 9's...

But yes, I practice against computers, being fully aware that they are computers, and only have set ways of playing. I would play over WiFi, but the 1/3 second lag or whatever is dreadful.
I hate having to push the buttons, and then watch my character pwn...
I might as well be playing Fire Emblem or something... LOL

SF
WiFi is better than nothing, although the lag kills us all, you can at least try to time your attacks instead of mashing everything. If you don't want to then its fine, not my life. CPU's do help with teching but not your real gameplay. As these people say, as long as you are aware they are CPU's not humans.

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
people sometimes get better when they don't play the game for a while and computers are stupid, go against a lvl diddy in jungle japes, run to the small platform make him grab that ledge and i swear the rest is just stupid.

Zanoske

Smash Journeyman
people sometimes get better when they don't play the game for a while and computers are stupid, go against a lvl diddy in jungle japes, run to the small platform make him grab that ledge and i swear the rest is just stupid.
CPU's have been stupid and will be unless you put a human brain in them.

null55

Smash Master
CPU's have been stupid and will be unless you put a human brain in them.
Because then they wouldn't be CPUs... >_>

And yes SilentFalcon... Watching your replays is a good idea.

Top Bottom