• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

After 1600 DDD games, dropped him. He's not good enough.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
I don't play alot of 1v1, so I can't say much on that.

However, I get alot of victories in Free-For-All with him, but I think that goes without saying for just about any heavyweight character.

Idk. I'm kinda new to the competitive things.

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, if you're expecting to do amazing with King Dedede as a main, especially against higher-tier characters, you're already setting yourself up for failure.

As good as Dedede is, he's too slow and too big (like the other heavyweights) to do much against characters like Diddy Kong and Shiek. He's easily combo'ed and has very little counters to them to the point that unless you're amazing at predicting, you're going to have to play really conservatively. That being said, is he gonna have a 1-100 matchup against some of the higher tier characters when the meta stabilizes? Definitely not. He's a character that relies on punishing your opponent, as most heavier characters do, because he's too slow to initiate and his only option for spacing or camping is, without a doubt, the easiest to counter.

atomicblast360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AtomicBlast360
King Dedede in this game is far from bad or Nerfed from Brawl imo. He does struggle against some higher tier characters, but he can stay alive very long, especially against characters like Shiek who can't KO that fast.

Vic

Smash Cadet
NNID
victimer3
This thread must have been made before the discovery of the ability to re-throw gordos that have been reflected back at you. Either way, as a general stance you should play characters you love playing and overcome difficult matchups. As a big boy Triple D is gonna have issues against a lot of the cast, but work out strategies and overcome.

AmsA is a good example of this.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
This thread must have been made before the discovery of the ability to re-throw gordos that have been reflected back at you. Either way, as a general stance you should play characters you love playing and overcome difficult matchups. As a big boy Triple D is gonna have issues against a lot of the cast, but work out strategies and overcome.

AmsA is a good example of this.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but we haven't heard much about AmsA's Yoshi in Melee recently because people have figured out the matchup, right? That's the issue with lesser characters- they only have so many viable options, and they really feel the pressure once the other players have adapted to them.

Unfortunately I haven't really had the chance to go to a tournament in person yet, at least for Smash 4, but I simply don't see Dedede performing very well. I definitely think he'll have good match ups, but he really struggles against many of the better characters as it is. Right now I'm starting to play around with ROB to possibly cover Dedede's weaknesses. I don't want to drop him as I enjoy the character to much, but I do think you'll need a second character to cover certain matchups if you do plan to play as him.

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the problem with more niche characters like Dedede and AmsA's Yoshi is that they aren't all-around good like Shiek or Captain Falcon are, so as soon as somebody figures out how to play around the character, you just can't win (unless they screw up). Dedede's destroyed by good rushdowns or good projectile characters, which means he has very little leverage if, say, a good Mega Man or Shiek is your next opponent.

Top Bottom