• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Afraid of balance patches..

SillySymphony

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1977-0515-5257
So basically I'm a rosalina main and I'm afraid that she will continue to be nerfed in updates to come. To me it's especially unfair because I see that people automatically decide she needs to be toned down just because she's often considered one of if not the best character in the game. She has already been nerfed more than any other character. Do any other rosalina mains feel this way? I'm hoping the smash bros team doesn't read any of the nonsense players who can't figure out how to defeat her post. They always say she has no weaknesses which is completely false.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I'm not really afraid of balance patches, I actually just dislike balance patches because it ruins replays.

I'm not really worried about that, she only got minor nerfs and buffs after 1.0.4 patch.

Totally agreed, and I personally think that balance patches don't really balance the game that significantly. If you look at Sheik, she is really a character that has nearly no weakpoints. And worst of all, she was already nerfed before. So I guess this slightly proves that balance patches don't really effect the competitive Smash gameplay. I hope the team can focus on the bug glitches fix updates.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
So basically I'm a rosalina main and I'm afraid that she will continue to be nerfed in updates to come. To me it's especially unfair because I see that people automatically decide she needs to be toned down just because she's often considered one of if not the best character in the game. She has already been nerfed more than any other character. Do any other rosalina mains feel this way? I'm hoping the smash bros team doesn't read any of the nonsense players who can't figure out how to defeat her post. They always say she has no weaknesses which is completely false.
Not afraid of them annoyed by them. Rosalina is the mist interesting smash 4 character to me. If they continue to nerf her I'll just look for a new main.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
ever since 1.0.4 i've worried about patches and to be honest it really killed my enthusiasm with rosalina.

i continued playing the character for a little while but i eventually quit for a few months, and it was partially due to customs as well. i came back to play again but my heart wasn't really in it. when ryu came out i got excited to play smash again and i'm less worried about nerfs so i feel excited about finding new things with ryu.

also the meta development of rosa died drastically for rosa on these forums, everything went underground out of fear of balance patches, and people only want to talk about matchup ratios and their favorite rosalina dresses.

if sakurai came out and said tomorrow 'we won't be releasing any more patches' i'd probably delve back into rosalina but i dont see that happening.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
ever since 1.0.4 i've worried about patches and to be honest it really killed my enthusiasm with rosalina.

i continued playing the character for a little while but i eventually quit for a few months, and it was partially due to customs as well. i came back to play again but my heart wasn't really in it. when ryu came out i got excited to play smash again and i'm less worried about nerfs so i feel excited about finding new things with ryu.

also the meta development of rosa died drastically for rosa on these forums, everything went underground out of fear of balance patches, and people only want to talk about matchup ratios and their favorite rosalina dresses.

if sakurai came out and said tomorrow 'we won't be releasing any more patches' i'd probably delve back into rosalina but i dont see that happening.
Yeah these boards really died off.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I ain't afraid of no balance patches because I don't take those seriously. Whether they buff her, nerf her or some **** like that, it ain't stopping me from playing as her. In fact, I find myself playing Rosalina way more than my other mains in the game.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I ain't afraid of no balance patches because I don't take those seriously. Whether they buff her, nerf her or some **** like that, it ain't stopping me from playing as her. In fact, I find myself playing Rosalina way more than my other mains in the game.
Same for me as long as her nerfs aren't that notable.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
I guess it depends on whether any future patches have any major mechanic changes or are simply quality of life tweaks. The only 2 notable changes that I think hurt rosa were the Luma Shot/Recall mechanics in 1.0.4 and the knockback reduction on the jab in 1.0.8

Base game rosa was definitely a formidable force to be reckoned with and they probably did overreact harshly with some changes but it seems like they and making small various changes each time, seeing how that goes and then going from there.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I guess it depends on whether any future patches have any major mechanic changes or are simply quality of life tweaks. The only 2 notable changes that I think hurt rosa were the Luma Shot/Recall mechanics in 1.0.4 and the knockback reduction on the jab in 1.0.8

Base game rosa was definitely a formidable force to be reckoned with and they probably did overreact harshly with some changes but it seems like they and making small various changes each time, seeing how that goes and then going from there.
I find the shot/recall mechanic more reliable since Luma can come back quicker, but it depends on everyone whether it's a buff or a nerf.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Rosie is good enough I think to where even if she gets nerfed, she'll still be good. Once you're top-tier, you're not gonna be bad. Look at Diddy Kong.

But if the fear of losing your additional power over everyone else scares you into playing someone else, you may want to reconsider why you play that character in the first place. But hey, I play characters that I actually like as characters, so everybody's different.

But I wouldn't worry too too much.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
I find the shot/recall mechanic more reliable since Luma can come back quicker, but it depends on everyone whether it's a buff or a nerf.
Myself I see it as a nerf. There are lots of matchup's where you aren't going to send Luma out a lot because you need him to keep close to protect especially against anyone who wants to get up all in your face so you would think it's a buff but if you arent going to send him out minus hard reads and edgeguarding its a bit of a mute point.

In the MU's where you have a bit more flexibility it doesn't matter whether it was base game or post 1.0.4 speed. However the main thing with the Luma Shot/Recall mechanic change was that is much hard to reliably get luma to attack upon return. I used to love doing all sorts of combo's because its not the easier thing for people to have to anticipate both rosa and luma attacks and positioning. I think they decreased the distance in which the non-charged luma shot goes so as a result that makes it hard to command luma to attack during the return because the distance is a bit short to trigger it reliably.

Rosie is good enough I think to where even if she gets nerfed, she'll still be good. Once you're top-tier, you're not gonna be bad. Look at Diddy Kong.

But if the fear of losing your additional power over everyone else scares you into playing someone else, you may want to reconsider why you play that character in the first place. But hey, I play characters that I actually like as characters, so everybody's different.

But I wouldn't worry too too much.
Diddy is still good, however he lost a lot of rep's and I think that's Zero's sheer skill and ability to adapt compensate for the nerfs. As the man said himself Diddy is at a disadvantage when it comes to the Shiek MU. Imagine if he could fight himself, Diddy probably wouldn't look quite as good but still top 15.

We probably have a balance patch in august so we will know soon enough.

Last edited:

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Yep, i were naive enough to think importing a japanese 3ds to practice would help me win the first tournament here to also win some of that investment back(still hae japanese gunvolt though, which is a really cool game, they "nerfed" the japanese songs when translating them to english XD). Then the nerfs happened before we had any tournaments and i didnt win the tournaments, and since shes kind of a glass cannon im still working towards that first win slowly but surely.

The lumarecall speed change was a huuuge nerf. Jab were one of the best moves in the game just before that nerf.
Later kills means gimmicks are even more important, so getting those 50% upairkills can be very crucial, but is for me hard to set up and happens way to rarely to rely on.

Last edited:

Ritronaut

Smash Apprentice
I honestly don't think Rosalina will be nerfed for several reasons. People seem to forget that Rosalina was OP before 1.0.4. Straight up broken. They nerfed her a lot, probably the most any character has been nerfed in this game, it was overlooked because Rosalina is still good. I think the reason that she was so good (and will remain good) was to compensate for the huge skill curve this character has. I'm not saying that this makes her invincible, but it seems like they balanced her out quite well. She's top tier, but not broken. Another reason is that with the recent patches they've been doing nothing to Rosa, except tinkering with Luma's HP and weakening her jab a little, which isn't too major. And honestly? Why would they nerf her? She really hasn't been getting incredible results like Sheik. I mean sure Dabuz got 5th at Evo, but honestly, that means the character is kind of perfect right where it is doesn't it? 5th doesn't mean over centralizing or broken, hell, I think he might have been the only Rosa in the whole top 32, not including abadango's Rosalina. On the other hand, the top 2 were sheik mains, Sheik is the only over centralizing character in smash 4. I doubt Rosalina will get nerfed, people overrate her anyway. But who knows? I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Eternal Blue Syaoran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueEternal
I'm not afraid of nerfs. Honestly I think the only thing they would consider touching is Luma's base knockback or whatever it is called on it's up air. Cause of the odd kills that do it early. But other characters can do that kind of stuff too if high enough on the stage. Samus vs Sheik in top 8 anyone?
I personally think she is too over rated. Once the game has been out for a year people will learn way better ways to deal with her and she wont be as scary.
I doubt they will touch her much, and if they were too I would still play her. No reason to be afraid of patches I guess.. XD

xDizxy

Smash Journeyman
The next patch might come on August and the character that definetly needs the most nerf is shiek. Rosalina needs a nerf too but shiek needs it more. Rosalina is popo and luma is nana but unlike ice climbers, luma always comes back to life and doesn't need Luma to do her recovery. I also hope they nerf ness big gay thunder.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
The next patch might come on August and the character that definetly needs the most nerf is shiek. Rosalina needs a nerf too but shiek needs it more. Rosalina is popo and luma is nana but unlike ice climbers, luma always comes back to life and doesn't need Luma to do her recovery. I also hope they nerf ness big gay thunder.
Next patch is a few days, whether 1.10 will bring any balance changes however we don't know. Shiek is a extremely good character however with EVO and SF4 has showed she isn't an S character above everyone else, she does have flaws and weaknesses which can be capitalised on however that doesn't mean I'm saying she shouldn't receive some tweaks.

I think if they buff more characters to improve their game that overall would be better. So far characters have definitely seen notable improvements and I think with further positive tweaking to characters who could use it it'd lead to a more diverse character selection overall.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't see why Rosalina needs any more nerfs than what she has received recently.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rosalina doesn't need a nerf.

She's the best character in the game, but she requires a lot of skill and practice to use at a high level.

A lot of people, including Dabuz, don't send Luma out much and only play defensively. That cripples her or at least greatly limits her in a lot of match ups that are otherwise fine.

I also think she got better after 1.0.4 anyway, for the most part. She became harder to use, but overall, the skill ceiling she has now compared to her potential then is through the roof, and you can do so many cool things now, mainly due to the changes to Luma Shot and the callback mechanics.

shockwave98

Smash Rookie
I doubt any character will get nerfed or buffed. If they are going to do something it's going to be minor.

A small nerf for Rosalina would only be fair if sheik got one too. I don't get why people who main top tier characters complain about Rosa's up air or down air. You can't play characters better then Rosa and still want her nerfed.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't see why "if Sheik gets nerfed, Rosalina does to and vice versa" should be a thing.

I don't think either need to be nerfed to begin with (Sheik may need tweaking if buffing lower tiers can't help them), but they are characters with completely different players and playstyles. One is abused in tournaments because of how easy she is, the other is arguably stagnating because people think "playing like Dabuz = playing Rosalina optimally", and she's just unique and different in general and competitive Smash 4 players can't handle that. So I don't see why they should have to follow each other just because they are both S tier right now.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
That lumaspeed was her biggest nerf, and it was huuuge, makes alot situations worse for Rosalina, and her pressuregame much more committing. How much the jab lost on that alone i think moved her down several tiers.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That lumaspeed was her biggest nerf, and it was huuuge, makes alot situations worse for Rosalina, and her pressuregame much more committing. How much the jab lost on that alone i think moved her down several tiers.
People seriously still think the Luma callback speed increase was a nerf? I think it's a huge buff, and it's also been highly beneficial in a tech I'm developing (not posting anymore on it yet, the video will be done when it's done).

Number Three

Smash Cadet
Well, the new patch has been out for a few hours now and no one has discovered any changes with her. She wasn't the most nerfed character, though. It was Greninja by far. I do hate all of the Rosalina hate, too, (ESPECIALLY considering that Sheik gets off scot-free) but don't let it get to you. Rosalina is perfectly fine. People just think that since she's not your typical character and that she's good, it means she's completely broken (which is completely untrue).

I'm personally not afraid of patches. I have full faith that Nintendo knows what they're doing and that the decisions they make for the characters are for the best. If Rosalina doesn't get nerfed, that's great. If she does, then that sucks, but it still really doesn't matter to me in the long run. I absolutely love Rosalina as a character and that's why I've been maining her since the 3DS's launch. I will stay with her even if she gets nerfed to bottom tier. Whether you like Rosalina as a character or because she's a good fit for your playstyle, you shouldn't be afraid of nerfs. Sure, they do suck, but you shouldn't let tiers control who you play. I've stuck with Ness in every game because I love EarthBound and I've just become so used to his playstyle that it just works for me. I'd rather play a bottom tier character who I like playing as and that fits my playstyle than a top tier character just because they're top tier. That's just me, though. I'm the type of person who completely acknowledges the existence of tier lists and even makes their own, but still goes on to pick characters I like as my mains regardless of tier placement.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
I have a good background in brawl modding so I can read the code to some degree, here's the changes that are on Dantarion's mastercore. Just giving general stuff, nothing specific until I get more time.

Rosalina has no changes made to her this patch. It's really easy to tell because her page is empty.

THAT BEING SAID, there might have been changes to Luma or her projectiles as Master core didn't extract that information yet.

You guys can choose to believe me or not, but I implore you guys to check out my background in brawl coding both on Smashboards and KCMM.

shockwave98

Smash Rookie
Thank God people on Twitter don't make the balance patches. If they had their way, Rosa would have been lighter then Jigglypuff and Luma wouldn't be able to respawn.

It's still too early to 100% confirm no changes. Last time everyone said she only got a buff for Luma. When her Jab was nerfed too.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
I'm not afraid of nerfs. Even if she gets nerfed to the point where she'll be a bottom tier, I'll still main her because I love her as a character and fighter. People need to grow up and stop considering her over powered while she's not and has flaws like every other character. Honestly, I hope this is the last patch because no top tier needs to get patched and either just focus on bottom tiers or fix glitches. Also, hopefully she don't get unnecessary nerfs because she's fine the way she is and don't need anything more patches.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
I doubt Rosie will get nerfed (if she does, she'd still be quite powerful IMO). On top of that, as much as she wrecks my boy, I love the challenge. Rosie is good, but not only is Shiek considered better with less weaknesses, but pre-patch Diddy was nigh-invincible for this game. Rosie is fine where she is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom