• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aesthetic Changes for Project: M 3.0b/3.1

D

Deleted member

After looking at the Project: M and playing it for quite some time now, I must say I'm extremely impressed with the PMBR's fantastic devotion and work on the mod. In Project: M other than some slight character unbalancing that will be found and fixed in the future, there are a few aesthetic details I think should be implemented to the game.

The Camera:
I think the Camera needs to be Zoomed in a tiny bit more. It feels very wide and it doesn't want to focus on the match at hand and rather marvel at as much of modeling work behind the stages as it can.
Following this I think the camera's horizontal and vertical borders should MUCH closer. In Project: M (and Brawl, for that matter) the Camera was slow and pans over to action. In Melee, the camera is constantly moving and springs as action happens in-game.

A Foreground Shader:
In Melee, when you are hit with a hard-hitting attack, a white flash will quickly appear on the screen. This small little detail goes a long way into making sure the player realizes they should avoid getting hit. (example here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=s07TuofVGKw#t=37)

Melee Hit/Launch Sound Effects:
I really think P:M as a whole deserves Melee SFX. Not because P:M is trying to emulate Melee's gameplay and style, but because P:M as a competitive game needs more dramatic indications of being hit. In brawl, when you get it, it feels like nothing. You can just shrug it off because it doesn't sound like anything is really happening. The 'air swooshes' are pointless! In Melee, there is a BANG. It feels like an intense fist fight. It makes your heart pump and when you get hit you know it, you know you need to avoid getting hit again. It also feels rewarding to hit your opponent.

Little changes in SFX will go a long way. I'd like to point out that the addition of Ness' Double Jump Cancel PSI sound in 3.0 makes Ness feel 10x better in P:M. The little air-swooshes from before just don't fit the character.
If the PMBR truly are out to put 'umph' into the game's characters like Ness/Roy/MewTwo, I see no reason to add more 'umph' to the overall game itself.
One a side note, I can personally provide clean rips of Melee's Hit/Launch SFX if the PMBR wants them.

Turbo Mode On-Hit Flash:

Canon brought up a brilliant solution to help people realize they can do another move in Turbo mode rather than have the entire animation cancel. Similar to when a player L-Cancels a move and the character flashes a colour to indicate a successful L-Cancel, the character who has landed a move could quickly flash a colour like blue or purple to indicate that the players can immediately do another move. This flash solution will fix a problem with characters with low knockback/no knockback moves such as A character's jab combo or Jigglypuff with Sing in Turbo mode and clearly let new and veteran players realize they can do another attack.

Whether or not these changes make their way into future versions of Project: M or are even considered, remember this: Super Smash Bros. isn't just a competitive game. It's also a spectator sport.
As The_NZA put it,
I personally feel PM isn't necessarily as fun as Melee to watch even if I think PM is a more fun game to play. I think a lot of the spectator value that was missing comes from the colors of characters (a less vibrant palette), weaker sound effects, and most importantly, a action oriented camera. The camera is quite a bit better and we have some good alternate costumes (although I would prefer a superior pack like the vibrant pack being a default to make this feel like its own smash game). The SFX could be updated. I understand people who say you can customize your own packs, but if the generic pack isn't loaded with these custom SFXs then it can be highly distracting to play on a tourney set with custom SFXs.

Thanks for reading,
-Aliami Armador

Last edited by a moderator:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
better turbo mode solution: purple flash upon hit, to keep up with the aesthetic

neutral state wouldn't work well enough, especially with any move that hits multiple times

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
better turbo mode solution: purple flash upon hit, to keep up with the aesthetic

neutral state wouldn't work well enough, especially with any move that hits multiple times
Having the entire screen flash purple every time a character gets hit in a mode made for stringing insanely long combos sounds annoying, but I would like that as a foreground shader.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I meant on the character, similar to l-cancel flashes
oh, ok then. That would be a lot of purple though, so much purple.........

BLUE IS A STUPID COLOR! I BET BLUE CAN'T EVEN PURPLE BECAUSE THAT'S JUST HOW BAD IT IS!

Paradoxium

Smash Master
This is probably impossible, but it would be pretty cool if numbers appeared above your character In turbo mode that count how long your combos strings are, just like in other fighting games.

MattNF

Smash Lord
I like these ideas. Especially about the sound effects, I'd love to see more Melee and even Smash64 hit sounds to make the game seem more hard-hitting. But not all the Brawl sound effects are bad, dat sound when you land Ike's f-air or f-smash... hngggggggggg

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I like these ideas. Especially about the sound effects, I'd love to see more Melee and even Smash64 hit sounds to make the game seem more hard-hitting. But not all the Brawl sound effects are bad, dat sound when you land Ike's f-air or f-smash... hngggggggggg
Or ganon's bair.

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
If the general impact sounds are changed to anything, I'd really prefer Smash 64's. If you want hard-hitting impacts, Smash 64 is where you go. Melee and Brawl have nothing on the original in that regard.

I'd also like PM to have some different-looking menus from vanilla Brawl to differentiate it a bit more.

Most of all, though, I wish PM had a unique victory screen. The pure black one just looks... sloppy. Obviously it's supposed to be a Melee reference, but it just doesn't look good at all.

OidBirdie

Smash Cadet
Can somebody explain what people mean by air swooshes? Are they talking about the noise the crowd makes when a character gets hit and goes somewhat far?

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
At first I was thinking that the "weakness" I felt in Melee vets like Marth, Falco, Falcon, etc. was only the sound effects, but I was playing Melee the other day and noticed that the camera seems to shake around a lot when strong hits are landed. It's pretty empowering, too, when a Knee rocks the very foundations of the stage as your foe flies to the blast line. I got to thinking that it might be that P:M's camera is just less "responsive" to these power hits, in addition to sfx and other various screen effects.
So, is this an actual thing or am I imagining it?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Can somebody explain what people mean by air swooshes? Are they talking about the noise the crowd makes when a character gets hit and goes somewhat far?
In Melee, when a character is hit by a move that sends them at varying high speeds, one of three "swoosh" SFX play based on the intensity of the hit. Along with the accompanying screen shake and character pain yell, it leads to more aesthetically pleasing impacts. In Brawl, there's just this obnoxious and flat "breeze" SFX that plays like a whole second after the hit occurs. It's incredibly dull.

And Smash 64 straight up doesn't have/need these as the audience more than makes up for it.

Bleck

Smash Master
I know that walking is rarely a good idea anyways, but Roy's walk cycle is the silliest looking thing and I demand that it be fixed posthaste.

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
I got to thinking that it might be that P:M's camera is just less "responsive" to these power hits, in addition to sfx and other various screen effects.
So, is this an actual thing or am I imagining it?
IIRC from when I used to make PSA's, the camera shaking is not controlled by the actual camera but the individual character PSA's. So if they wanted the camera to shake off of strong hits they'd have to edit the individual moves to do so at a certain percent. Although that was back in 2009, things might have changed from then to now.

D

Deleted member

Good point, and I'll agree. A Purple (or Blue since the aura the characters have is purple and it might be a tad hard to notice) l-cancel like flash would be perfect for indicaticating a player can input another move. Updating main post.

Last edited by a moderator:

DocterClocker

Smash Rookie
As someone who is mainly a spectator of Competitive Smash, I wholeheartedly agree with the OP's suggestions. Re-adding the dynamic camera and powerful sounding hit SFX of Melee would definitely make Project M even more exciting to watch.

I was actually watching some Melee matches this morning after a long stint of PM vids and was amazed the difference the SFX can make.

As it stands the camera is miles better than Brawl's and PM is still very fun to spectate, but these changes would definitely be positives in my book.

Gotta love those Melee TWHACKS and THUDS!

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I'm still in for 64 crowds. Those guys knew how to make things hype.

Ooooooooohhh.... OH!!

wiiztec

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wiiztec
You guys are crazy melee has the weakest sounding sfx of the 3 games they sound like their punching pillows

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I don't mind Brawl's generic punch and kick hit SFX, but most of everything else is bad. The electric and sword hit SFX are the worst offenders by far.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Now that Roy has the Melee sword swing SFX to counterbalance Marth's lighter swing SFX, I'm actually pretty okay with the sword swing effects across the whole cast. It's the hit SFX that sound like you're pricking someone with a needle.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Best Brawl sound effect?

*DUN!*

everyone knows that sound. That's the heroic sound of Ike's fair!

Renji64

Smash Lord
If the general impact sounds are changed to anything, I'd really prefer Smash 64's. If you want hard-hitting impacts, Smash 64 is where you go. Melee and Brawl have nothing on the original in that regard.

I'd also like PM to have some different-looking menus from vanilla Brawl to differentiate it a bit more.

Most of all, though, I wish PM had a unique victory screen. The pure black one just looks... sloppy. Obviously it's supposed to be a Melee reference, but it just doesn't look good at all.
A new Menu would be great.

Top Bottom