• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

aerialling onto the platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
So with most char i can do all the aerials while getting onto the platform...but with roy i've been having problems nairing on.

To fair onto a platform is the easiest, i can either tap away, and then Forward + A while jumping onto the platform (to hit near opponents)..or just jump onto the platform and then hit A + forward later.(for ones farther away)

Anyways, for the nair i have problems. I was having problems doing it by hitting A later in the jump..so instead i immediately begin the neutral A while jumping then move myself while the aerial is occurring.

If i wait to hit A later i end up just getting one of the two hits from the nair to come out..or i end up not making the platform at all.

My question is whether it's feasible to learn to nair on the platform without doing the aerial before the DI...because it's rather hard for me to rememember to do the aerial before starting to DI...i'm too used to an immediate DI towards the ledge after releasing due to a paranoia of falling off the ledge

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
So with most char i can do all the aerials while getting onto the platform...but with roy i've been having problems nairing on.

To fair onto a platform is the easiest, i can either tap away, and then Forward + A while jumping onto the platform (to hit near opponents)..or just jump onto the platform and then hit A + forward later.(for ones farther away)

Anyways, for the nair i have problems. I was having problems doing it by hitting A later in the jump..so instead i immediately begin the neutral A while jumping then move myself while the aerial is occurring.

If i wait to hit A later i end up just getting one of the two hits from the nair to come out..or i end up not making the platform at all.

My question is whether it's feasible to learn to nair on the platform without doing the aerial before the DI...because it's rather hard for me to rememember to do the aerial before starting to DI...i'm too used to an immediate DI towards the ledge after releasing due to a paranoia of falling off the ledge
you are not talking about DI. DI is when you get hit.

Sky2042

Smash Apprentice
You still understood the message, the question he was trying to get across.

Don't nitpick.

Sky2042

Smash Apprentice
Helping him would be the same as answering his question.

You did not do either of these things.

Tsukuyomi

Smash Journeyman
Wait exactly what are you talking about??? Cliffhang to Platform or being knocked off and recover???

Cliffhang to Platform
Yes, doing a Nair back onto a platform is quite hard, though it seems to be the most pointless for Roy's case... His Nair is the twin slash, where his first slash is just a basic hit and the second slash is what sends the players flying... Jumping from a cliffhang onto a platform is slightly a little lower than a short hop... Roy's Nair is slow, so you'll only get his first slash before landing... Unless you decide to do a Nair off the side of the platform, you'll get your two slashes, though you'll have to recover yourself again... I suggest sticking with the basic Fair, Uair, and Dair...

Flown Off and Recover
Should be quite easy... Just DI back towards the platform and just let go the control stick and press A... Though, your aim wouldn't be to grand if you actually attempt this...

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
yes, the former..just wanted to confirm that i would have to start the aerial off the platform to get it out before landing..

sorry for the misuse of term...anyways, just been trying hard things to increase my speed...finally getting the basic waveshine down and pillar...I play roy for low tier sometimes and the other day i killed myself trying to do the nair off the platform so i was just curious..granted it's not that usefula move...though sometimes fairing on the platform doesn't get a full hit of the blade..probably swinging too early...but one gets nervous when you're in marth's range.

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
dont bother with low tier until you are good enough to do low tier. keep up with those space animals and i guarantee you will have more fun, because you will be winning more.

Sky2042

Smash Apprentice
Hank, see http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=92025 please.

kkthx

Oh yes, look at Roy vs Fox specifically. The only real reason Roy is 'low tier' is because of Shiek and Ice Climbers, along with Ganon and Samus to a lesser extent.

So no, it is plausible for a Roy to go up against a Fox of equal skill and win.

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
Hank, see http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=92025 please.

kkthx

Oh yes, look at Roy vs Fox specifically. The only real reason Roy is 'low tier' is because of Shiek and Ice Climbers, along with Ganon and Samus to a lesser extent.

So no, it is plausible for a Roy to go up against a Fox of equal skill and win.
at low level yes. at high level, no. roy goes even (barely) against fox on fd only. other stages fox wins.

also, dont ever try and quote phanna as a reliable source of information. hes a scrub *** samus form florida lol.

Sky2042

Smash Apprentice
at low level yes. at high level, no. roy goes even (barely) against fox on fd only. other stages fox wins.

also, dont ever try and quote phanna as a reliable source of information. hes a scrub *** samus form florida lol.
1. I'm not quoting Phanna. I'm quoting the dozens of pages and posts that spawned from Phanna's. Please, expand your mind a little.

2. That chart is based off of 'high levels;' almost all evidence given to support a case is based on players such as Isai, etc.

Oops?

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
1. I'm not quoting Phanna. I'm quoting the dozens of pages and posts that spawned from Phanna's. Please, expand your mind a little.

2. That chart is based off of 'high levels;' almost all evidence given to support a case is based on players such as Isai, etc.

Oops?
lol, there is only one true high level roy player, neo. it confuses me how noobs revere him as a god, yet never listen to his advice.

neo has said before that roy goes even with fox on fd, AND THATS IT. if you disagree, then you disagree with not only me, but neo as well.

oops?

and im sorry but discussion in a phanna thread has the intellectual value equal to one of your posts ( which is not so high)

TedBoosley

Smash Ace
Phanna is a beast, sorry. I've played him in both tourney and friendly matches, so don't even go there.

Though, you ARE right about Fox pwning Roy, and you're ALSO right about how this guy should start off with a higher tier character, since Roy, as much as I love him, is pure butt.

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
Phanna is a beast, sorry. I've played him in both tourney and friendly matches, so don't even go there.

Though, you ARE right about Fox pwning Roy, and you're ALSO right about how this guy should start off with a higher tier character, since Roy, as much as I love him, is pure butt.
first off, no one besides me is "a beast", as i am The Beast.

next, because you got ***** by him, doesnt mean he's good. it means you are even worse.

ToP CaT

Smash Lord
Yes, regardless of how good phanna is, that chart he made is bull**** and useless, so people shouldnt be using it to prove points, its ridiculous

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Seth... you can jump out of the uair combos after the first uair. As long as you keep badgering DK with overb etc, and don't get totally destroyed by CCdtilt, it's not so bad.

IMO it's an even match... but I am consistently the most optimistic about Roy's matchups.

Also in a tourney a while back I gave Phanna's samus a couple close matches with Roy. Emphasis on 'a while back' though.

Roy-san

Smash Cadet
Only thing i can mention about hank being right as vs. fox goes is on a flat stage. However as tourney's go beating foxes isnt that hard once you get them off the ledge. As far as i play once you get a fox off a simple counter can get them. Ive done this several times and it works perfectly. However once you fight a really good shiner....you kinda die.

Note: nothing in this post was to offend you hank.

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
Only thing i can mention about hank being right as vs. fox goes is on a flat stage. However as tourney's go beating foxes isnt that hard once you get them off the ledge. As far as i play once you get a fox off a simple counter can get them. Ive done this several times and it works perfectly. However once you fight a really good shiner....you kinda die.

Note: nothing in this post was to offend you hank.
play cunning kitsune, then tell me how easy it is to edgeguard.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Hey, I'm in the Roy forums, talking about Pros that I've only read two posts from and played once or twice! Also, I'm arguing semantics!

My posts was for lulz. If you're not serious about improving Roy's game, then please take your posts elsewhere.

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
Hey, I'm in the Roy forums, talking about Pros that I've only read two posts from and played once or twice! Also, I'm arguing semantics!

My posts was for lulz. If you're not serious about improving Roy's game, then please take your posts elsewhere.
are you serious? do you think i dont play people i reference? im not a ****ing scrub, i go places and play good people, onlike 99% of the roy forum population (aka, me, seth, and lk)

Roy-san

Smash Cadet
your right frank, as anyone can find a way around a move. I assume it all depends on who your playing.

-FATE

-Clan-We hate marths, Peachs, and Sheiks.

dReAMCloUd - Assault K 40

Smash Apprentice
Yo Hank, don't talk like you know anything.

DI = Directional Influence, it doesn't matter whether you are hit or not, holding a direction whether on the ground or in the air influences how your character moves and reacts.
Also, don't talk about high-level roys as if you've ever played one, and it seems your knowledge is limited to videos you've seen online.

SCRUB, any good marth's roy would demolish you.

Dr. Steve Brule

Smash Apprentice
Yo Hank, don't talk like you know anything.

DI = Directional Influence, it doesn't matter whether you are hit or not, holding a direction whether on the ground or in the air influences how your character moves and reacts.
Also, don't talk about high-level roys as if you've ever played one, and it seems your knowledge is limited to videos you've seen online.
yo, that's not di, lol. di is when you are hit. lol imstill laughing how you are trying to correct witht he WRONG thing.

also i've played sethlon and USED to be the best roy main in midwest.

SCRUB, any good marth's roy would demolish you.
lol. we should play sometime

for your health.

Smash Apprentice
One question...........who do you play with?

P.S. And since nobody has said anything about this yet. Yah, Phanna..........blows, 17th in a southy tourney where he's supposedly a good samus. WOW.

Dr. Steve Brule

Smash Apprentice
i played roy for a good year (maybe 1.5 years) id say. i had a ton of other backups: falco, peach, shiek.

now i play shiek. all day, every day, pappa.

for your health

Smash Apprentice
By who do you play.....I was asking who in REALITY you play as in which people, persons, homo sapiens.

Also, apparently you haven't progressed beyond the point of...."My charachter dictates my playstyle." Therefore naming of your secondaries and mains wouldn't matter anyway.

As for D.I., you never explained why I was wrong, just mimiced everyone else and stated, "D.I. is when you get hit." What again does D.I. stand for? GET MY POINT. Maybe you should look a little bit futher into the definition rather than sputtering nonsense like most everyone on the boards.

Dr. Steve Brule

Smash Apprentice
By who do you play.....I was asking who in REALITY you play as in which people, persons, homo sapiens.
pretty much anyone and everyone in the midwest. mainly the wisconsin (lol) / illinois/ indiana area. the only real other smash state in mw is ohio, which i live too far from, but i have played with them at some tourneys.

Also, apparently you haven't progressed beyond the point of...."My charachter dictates my playstyle." Therefore naming of your secondaries and mains wouldn't matter anyway.
um.............rofl? your character DOES dictate your playstyle. i guarantee you you cannot play jigglypuff or roy or dk the same way you play shiek or fox or etc

As for D.I., you never explained why I was wrong, just mimiced everyone else and stated, "D.I. is when you get hit." What again does D.I. stand for? GET MY POINT. Maybe you should look a little bit futher into the definition rather than sputtering nonsense like most everyone on the boards.
i dont have to explain a definition. it is what is. do you need me to explain what "is" is?

technomancer

Smash Champion
Quit flamin on the Roy boards, god.

Character certaintly doesn't neccisarily dictate playstyle, mostly due to the fact that almost every character has a usable grab, spotdodge, WD, DD and forward smash, and you can mix them all up to create a pretty well rounded style that works with everyone. That's why Chu Dat can 4-stock you with Pichu; you don't need that much character specific stuff to be good at smash, just a good overall sense of spacing and movement and mixup, and be good with the basic stuff.

Dr. Steve Brule

Smash Apprentice
Quit flamin on the Roy boards, god.

Character certaintly doesn't neccisarily dictate playstyle, mostly due to the fact that almost every character has a usable grab, spotdodge, WD, DD and forward smash, and you can mix them all up to create a pretty well rounded style that works with everyone. That's why Chu Dat can 4-stock you with Pichu; you don't need that much character specific stuff to be good at smash, just a good overall sense of spacing and movement and mixup, and be good with the basic stuff.
ya that's not true either.

zeldas grab is unusable
dk and bowsers spot dodge are unusable
zelda wd is unusable

if your style is based on just using those techs you said then you dont know how to play this game.

Dr. Steve Brule

Smash Apprentice
Which is likely why he said ALMOST every character.

And if you want a clarification of exactly what DI is: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=60218
lol. sethlon. you should know by now who i am. also, if you think that a person can have the same style for nearly every character they play then you need to learn a bit more about smash. saying that if you run around doin the basic techs he described with any character then you will have the same style and perform about equally as well with all of them is just as valid as saying tiers dont exist.

also, it doesnt matter if you post a link to what DI is. we've told him what it was, he just wants to disagree with it.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Okay, lemme clarify.
Im not saying (or agreeing) that you can take just he basic techniques and using them in the exact same way be good with everyone. Definately not true. BUT, a good person, say Caveman or Chu or Azen, can play a char that they barely use and is lower tier and still win; because of their 'playstyle', because in general how good they are. Although i think that might not be what you have in mind when you're talking about playstyle.

Obviously, yeah, your character dictates your playstyle with that character; every char has different stats, and have different basic techs that can be used easier and to a better extent than other basic techs. To try to use a characters worse techs like a different chars is just stupid.

And of course I knew who you are by now. The first posts you made got me wondering why you made another account :psycho:. I wasn't trying to completely denounce your logic with my quote, just saying that you overlooked something a little important to his argument.
And I think you know as well as I do that i'm not lacking in knowledge of smash in general. I'm definately no pro, but I've been around for quite some time.

Gah, wall of text.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom