• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aerial Trouble

shadowzero

Smash Cadet
Zelda's pretty efficient with moving around on the ground, but I'm having some trouble attacking from up above.

It seems her d-air doesn't have much priority compared with other character's u-tilts or up-smashes. I can't really think of a way to get back down safely other than to fall away from the opponent and launching off a Din's Fire. I don't know, maybe it's because she falls really slow for me. Stuff like Ike's up-smash keeps getting me....>_>

Luthien

Smash Ace
This is when you combine air-dodging, teleporting, and attacking. Zelda is weak from below, in the air and on platforms. Airdodge if you see an attack coming, and if you think they'll outsmart you, try to FW as far away as you can. This is one of Zelda's weaknesses; she requires sweetspots in the air, and the attack that don't require sweetspots have hitboxes above her waist. Just use everything you know and find different ways to get back to the stage.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
^^Basically what he said. With Zelda it's generally best not to attack from above. Her Dair has very low priority and is really only decent as a spike (but she has better edgeguarding options anyway). If you're in the air with Zelda, it should really only be to KO an opponent with a kick or her Uair. As far as attacking while falling goes, if you're far away enough that her Nair won't hit you can either wait for her to fall and take your chances or use Farore's Wind to get to the ground more quickly.

shadowzero

Smash Cadet
Okay, thanks for the tips; I'll try to keep them in mind next time.

Also, what's the best way to sweetspot her b/f-airs? For me, it usually connects with the head, but I can't tell if I'm supposed to tipper it or stay close when using it. Those aerials would sure be deadly if someone could connect with them consistently...

Luthien

Smash Ace
Zelda info thread covered the fair/bair sweetspot, I believe. You should be focusing hitting with the kick right away, the sweetspot frames only last for a split second.

shadowzero

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I know airdodging is useful; I just can't time it right...Too bad you can't change directions with it like in Melee. Was the whole purpose of not being able to control your airdodge's direction to stop wavedashing?

But thanks, I haven't tried using Farore's Wind to try and get to the ground quicker.

Luthien

Smash Ace
Yeah, I know airdodging is useful; I just can't time it right...Too bad you can't change directions with it like in Melee. Was the whole purpose of not being able to control your airdodge's direction to stop wavedashing?
I don't think it was to stop wavedashing; that sort of just happened as a byproduct. But there were a lot of suicides due to airdodgeing by accident; Sakurai probably just figured it was better to give characters multiple airdodges. You can't change momentum with unlimited airdodges because that means you can pretty much fly.

But thanks, I haven't tried using Farore's Wind to try and get to the ground quicker.
Careful when you use it, though. You'll wind up eating uairs if you aren't careful.

shadowzero

Smash Cadet
Careful when you use it, though. You'll wind up eating uairs if you aren't careful.

^Wait, in what way? If Zelda has invincibility frames while using Farore's Wind, she won't get hit, right? That is, I'm assuming it goes straight into the ground, where you could follow up by sheilding into d-tilit, grab, etc.

Luthien

Smash Ace
^Wait, in what way? If Zelda has invincibility frames while using Farore's Wind, she won't get hit, right? That is, I'm assuming it goes straight into the ground, where you could follow up by sheilding into d-tilit, grab, etc.
Yeah, but the frames don't last for long during the animation. Zelda has plenty of time to get interrupted.

Also, good following up with anything after FW. You're wide open if you land next to the enemy with the move's lag. The only thing that might save you is shield, dsmash or Naryu's invincibility frames.

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
FW is an amazing aid for getting to the ground quickly.
Whether it's hitting your opponent, teleporting past them when they jump up and try to hit you, or just moving to the other side of the stage.

Also, if you're falling too slow maybe you can jump and then fastfall?

S2

Smash Lord
Golden rule is to never come down on any opponent as Zelda, especially if they are on the ground (her D-air only sweetspots aerial opponenents).

That's a weakness and there isn't much you can do about it. Get good at airdodging and abusing FW with good mindgames (as to where you tele). Its better to get back to the ground and start fighting than try to fight on the way down. Unless you see a golden sweetspot opportunity, don't be aggressive when your falling back to the stage.

Random_X

Smash Rookie
Eh, fastfalling is still kinda slow; still enough that the opponent can catch up. I like the FW idea, though; I just need to learn how to use it corrrectly XD
It can be a good tool, but like people said try to mix it up. I actually caught MK with this a few times in the tournament I was in Sunday(too bad two days of not playing before it showed:(). Just be careful to time it right with the first few frames our you will get punished for it.

Is there any other way to spike with Zelda other than d-air? I tried to get people a few times when the opportunity showed, but it has not worked for me yet.

rampant_apart

Smash Apprentice
It can be a good tool, but like people said try to mix it up. I actually caught MK with this a few times in the tournament I was in Sunday(too bad two days of not playing before it showed:(). Just be careful to time it right with the first few frames our you will get punished for it.

Is there any other way to spike with Zelda other than d-air? I tried to get people a few times when the opportunity showed, but it has not worked for me yet.
Hmmm...I know her d-tilt meteors, that's about it I think.

Top Bottom