• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aerial Combat Strategies

Ryazan

Smash Ace
Many of my battles with other characters who have multiple midair jumps culminate in high-percentage scuffles in the air between the edges of the stage and the side blast lines. I'd like to hear what you guys think would be the most effective strategies to use in these situations. I will compile any tips you guys think of for fighting each of the multi-jump characters so we can all use them for reference.

-If you are attacked directly while recovering, dodge and DI into a multi-hit aerial.

-Near the edge, Bairs or Fairs may be used, but take caution as these are more punishable.

-At high altitudes where the opponent can't reach you, loop an arrow at him or in the direction of your approach.

-If off the side of the screen, shoot an arrow forward, keep it off-screen, and direct it towards the stage at ground level.

-If you are just above the opponent, jump and Dair. If they approach they will take the hit, but if not you can use it for spacing, which is good because spacing is a weak point for Pit.

-If beneath the opponent, you may try a Uair, although it is usually better to focus on returning to the stage.

-If you are falling to the stage and the opponent near, airdodge toward the ground and input an attack during the animation. You will then perform the attack immediately upon landing, which can disrupt many of your opponent's attacks.

-A glide attack can be useful if you first hop, then DI away, then start the glide. The glide attack is lag-free and so can easily be used to start a combo.

-If the opponent has a weak air game, try chaining together as many Fairs as possible. If you knock them too far away, you can switch to a glide attack. They will normally fastfall to avoid this, so try to anticipate it and quickly go into a dive. Unfortunately, this tactic can't be used often, as intelligent players who main air-weak characters will avoid aerial confrontations.

-

WhatIsPie?

Smash Apprentice
If they try to attack you in midair while you're recovering then air dodge while DIing downwards into an u-air. Works wonders for me.

Always try to hit with a multi-hit attack like u-air and n-air. They're easier to hit with.

If you guys are near the edges, then use the b-air or f-air. Careful though, they are hard to hit with and are more readily punished than u-air and n-air.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I do different things at different times. If I'm REALLY high up and my opponent can't reach me I loop an arrow and rain it down at my opponent or in the direction I intend to descend in. If I'm off the screen sometimes I'll shoot it forward and keep the arrow off the screen, just to have it come in from the side of the screen at ground level.

If you're above the opponent and he/she is close, I typically jump and Dair at the same time. If they approach they get hit. Other then that it's just for spacing as that's Pit's weak side.

If beneath you can never go wrong with a Uair. However it's typically best to try to get to the ground again.

From either side you're pretty much free to do whatever. Attack or retreat, it's all up to you and pretty safe.

If falling to the stage into the hands of a waiting opponent, you can trick the games buffer a bit to help you out. Typically if you airdodge to the ground you come out of your invincibility with contact with the ground. However, if during your airdodge you give an attack input, say a Forward Smash of the C-Stick, you will do a Forward Smash the moment you land! If you do this with, say a AAA combo, you'll be able to interrupt slow attacks that you'd normally be open for, or foil quick attacks or grabs.

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
Basically try muilti frame attacks like U-air and N-air like "what is pie" said you could also try a hop than hop (DI away from opponent) into a glide, the glide attack is hard to stop with 0 landing lag which you can combine with a c-stick right afterwards. Mess around with it.

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
if the character is no good in the air i will try to chain together as many Fairs as i can and if i hit them too way i jsut hold the jump button and glide after for a GA, they normally try to fastfall so if you are gonna do this you have to almost immediately dive

Top Bottom