• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aerial Angel Rings Applications

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I've heard time and time again, that the Angel Rings are not a great move to use. That there are always better things you can do. We'll i've always aimed to test things out for myself. I believe that Angel Rings are useful in certain conditions, such as jab>angel rings, or even Admiral Pit's" Gravity Well". This just may be an addition use for them.

Pros:
Angel rings has alot of range in the air and a semi controllable duration.
Stuns them on the way down.
If timed correctly, upon landing it will stop and result in have no ending lag while they still have a small effect of the stun.
ART can be an alternative.
Prevents air-dodge escapes.
If started before interception, less chance of DI effects.
Aerial Angel Rings are harder to DI out of since you can DI toward them as well.

Cons:
If timed incorrectly, can result in landing lag.
Possible to DI out of though, mostly up.
I cant think of anything else

Combo Examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLUV4sULvRM (45-53) 0- 65%
Fthrow>Dthrow>Nair>(Aerial)Angel Rings>Dtilt>Uair> Arrow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoP3Ne-bwCE&feature=channel_page (18-32) 0-107%
(Weak)Bair>Infinite Jab>Fthrow>Arrow>Dash Attack>Utilt>Bair>(Aerial)Angel Wings>Utilt>Uair>(Aerial, probably should have arrowed first)Angel Rings

Side Note:
I also made an interesting discovery for myself that i never considered. But apparently its possible to glide attack while holding an item. 1:38-1:44 in this match http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1vcfa1_t84 Idk if its new but its new to me. And its my own match. lol.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Im guessing u didnt even look at the matches for what i was talking about. Fine ill make it easier with the time, % damage given in combo and, combo itself (none of that no combo blah blah either.)

Is there anything aside from the possibility of DI that may effect it?

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Personally, I use the ar sometimes when someone is edgeguarding. They never seem to be able to hit me because the ring is in front of you,which stuns them on the way down, and it doubles as a reflector so projectiles are out of the question. Just something to think about

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I dont think its a very good edge guard. The rings count as a hurt box or w/e for pit. You can hit his rings sometimes and he takes damage, even if it doesnt hit pits body. It usually wont work for an edge guard, most of the ledge attacks will out prioritize angel rings if memory serves. Though i dont know for sure.

MrEh

Smash Hero
I dont think its a very good edge guard. The rings count as a hurt box or w/e for pit. You can hit his rings sometimes and he takes damage, even if it doesnt hit pits body. It usually wont work for an edge guard, most of the ledge attacks will out prioritize angel rings if memory serves. Though i dont know for sure.
He was talking about using the Angel Ring when someone is edgeguarding, not using the Angel Ring as an Edgeguard. (which is stupid)

Ryos4

Smash Lord
which is why i thought it was a bad idea. Idk i think i would rather use his mirror shield against projectiles. Angel rings takes rather long, especially if the opponent isnt being hit by it. A good player will most likely get behind you by then. And it causes pit to fall pretty far before it cancels.

But i guess if ur way above stage, it could help. Though if they are a fast character, they would get behind you. Like if i were toon link and i saw that i would just run off stage jump behind and bair.

However, if u do hit them with the angel rings. You would drag them down a bit. But i dont know how good of a position it would leave you in. Usually when people escape the angel rings they end up above you. Thats not too great of a position off stage. But i guess u could fast fall and then fly under the stage.

I'll probably have to actually do it before i can say the possible usefulness of it. Might as well just turn this into an angel ring thread or something.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
I don't know, AR is a pretty good way of nullifying horizontal approachers. It does little knockback but it is very hard for people to get past making it so that you can deal some damage and push them even further back without giving them height thanks to its wind push effect.

SSD

Smash Journeyman
I've always wondered about this. I definately see that it can be used against edgeguarders, and I have used it to create a hitbox that extends through landing lag, to defend myself as I land after recovering above the stage with WoI.

or even Admiral Pit's" Gravity Well".
huh?

Ryos4

Smash Lord
If you want to know more about Admiral Pit's Gravity Well. I suggest you ask him directly.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
We don't need to name every different frame you do an attack on.

and the only real use I have found for Angel ring in the air is either landing on a shield to help eat it, to use it as an ART, or to stop Pika's thunder or Snakes ^ smash.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
lol i dont name things. It makes things too complicated when u name things. And it sorta sounds gimmicky. but to each their own i suppose.

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
actually i seldomly use ar as an edgeguard like when im agenst a marth or someone with not so great recovery but it only rlly works if its over the edge
also it stops their momentum in the air and traps them so its actually a decent way to go over the edge cuz it pulls them down and stops momentum

Top Bottom