• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

advice on a Dark team

fire emblem guy

Smash Rookie
A few friends and myself are doing a little event together and after having been out of the game for a while I was wondering if I could get some pointers on my team I have planned.

First off the rules we are following are, one main element, I chose dark. Then the last two can be anything but they have to know at least one dark move each. And no legendarys. Ok, now my team.

Sableye @ Razor Fang
Nature: Hardy
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: focus on attack, speed, and HP
--------------------------------
1.zen headbutt
2.shadow claw
3.dig
4.fire punch

Leading with Sableye to have decent attack and defense against any type because of his lacking a weakness to any type.

Absol @ Razor Claw
Super Luck
Naive
EVs: half to attack, half to speed
1.psycho cut
2.night slash
3.perish song
4.super power

Fast hitting with high attack and high chance to get critical hits, moves also chosen to help with that.

Houndoom @ Flame Orb
Flash Fire
Rash
1.fire blast
2.over heat
3.dark pulse
4.nasty plot

Fast and high special attack, fire blast as main fire move, over heat for a last hit type move.

Umbreon @ Quick Claw
Synchronize
Serious
EVs: spread over HP, special defense, and special attack
1.dark pulse
2.psychic
3.hyper beam
4.moonlight

Special attack tanker with some special attacks.

Skarmory @ Razor Fang
Keen Eye
Serious
EVs: half to attack, half to defense
1.sky attack
2.steel wing
3.x-scissor
4.night slash

Kinda basic attacker/physical tank.

Rhyperior @ Muscle Band
Solid Rock
Relaxed
EVs: spread between HP, defense, and attack
1.Payback
2.Earthquake
3.rock wrecker
4.superpower

Strong physical tank and hard hitter.

Any advice as to pokemon that would work better in the team is welcome along with any other helpful ideas anyone may have. Thanks in advance ^^

c3gill

Smash Ace
Sableye @ Razor Fang
Nature: Hardy
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: focus on attack, speed, and HP
1.zen headbutt
2.shadow claw
3.dig
4.fire punch

Leading with Sableye to have decent attack and defense against any type because of his lacking a weakness to any type.

Not a great dark team lead. It doesnt set up, and it doesnt act as an anti-lead. Your giving your opponent a chance to set up on you. And if you must use Sableye, there are much better sets.

Absol @ Razor Claw
Super Luck
Naive
1.psycho cut
2.night slash
3.perish song
4.super power

Fast hitting with high attack and high chance to get critical hits, moves also chosen to help with that.

"Half to attack, half to speed"....wow? Absol prefers either a LO or Band. Perish Song isnt a very good 4th move....Swords Dance is better if you pick LO. And Sucker Punch is nice....

Houndoom @ Flame Orb
Flash Fire
Rash
1.fire blast
2.over heat
3.dark pulse
4.nasty plot

Fast and high special attack, fire blast as main fire move, over heat for a last hit type move.

Overheat doesnt work well on a nasty plot set. HP Fighting does.

Umbreon @ Quick Claw
Synchronize
Serious
EVs: spread over HP, special defense, and special attack
1.dark pulse
2.psychic
3.hyper beam
4.moonlight

Special attack tanker with some special attacks.

Umbreon is NOT a special attacker. 65 is not an acceptable attacking stat (umbreons higher attacking stat, attack). Umbreon functions as a tank, and should be EVed as such. Using those moves on Umbreon is absurd. Consider either a Wish passer, a trapper, a curse user, or just team support

Skarmory @ Razor Fang
Keen Eye
Serious
EVs: half to attack, half to defense
1.sky attack
2.steel wing
3.x-scissor
4.night slash

Kinda basic attacker/physical tank.

Skarm with sky attack? night slash? This isnt a set you want to be using.

Rhyperior @ Muscle Band
Solid Rock
Relaxed
EVs: spread between HP, defense, and attack
1.Payback
2.Earthquake
3.rock wrecker
4.superpower

Strong physical tank and hard hitter.

Well this is a step up from Skarm, but still way off.

Any advice as to pokemon that would work better in the team is welcome along with any other helpful ideas anyone may have. Thanks in advance ^^
http://www.smogon.com/dp/types/dark

Lots of mistakes, some rather large. You have no set up, no true sweepers (either set-up or choice), and basically no team compatability. Not a very good team at all, in my opinion. It really needs some work.

Please post full EV spreads, not just "half here, half there" what about the other 4 EVs?

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion

fire emblem guy

Smash Rookie
Thank you very much c3gill, I appreciate your taking the time for each of those, that helps me greatly with seeing how things need to be set up in a team.
Thank you too KrazyGlue, I've been going over the things in that guide on the set ups on that site and they have been very helpful. Im working on changing most everything around for them now lol. Would Weavil be a good replacement for Sableye?

c3gill

Smash Ace
Weavile is definatly a good pokemon to use on your team- its massive attack and speed stats would be great for a sweeper. Make sure to EV it properly, and either use a Choice Band, Life Orb, or something akin to those. Tyranitar should probably be used as well. If you used Tyranitar, you could do Cacturne- who is great once Sandstorm is up.

Dark teams actually have a lot of options (I did mono-dark for Pink Reapers mono type tournament :)), you just need to make sure your team goes well together.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Weavile is definatly a good pokemon to use on your team- its massive attack and speed stats would be great for a sweeper. Make sure to EV it properly, and either use a Choice Band, Life Orb, or something akin to those. Tyranitar should probably be used as well. If you used Tyranitar, you could do Cacturne- who is great once Sandstorm is up.

Dark teams actually have a lot of options (I did mono-dark for Pink Reapers mono type tournament :)), you just need to make sure your team goes well together.
^This is really good advice

For the last 2 pokemon that need a dark move, ghost is a great type for you. They often know dark moves and fear neither fighting nor bug attack, which are the weaknesses of dark pokemon. They are a great complement to your team.

Try Gengar- it's an amazing sweeper that is unaffected by fighting and double resists bug. Heracross is also an option. It resists fighting and bug, and carries night slash, which helpfully complements close combat. Skarmory is a good bulkier option, so you could consider keeping that. Drapion is an interesting option for a dark type due to the fact that he isn't weak to bug or fighting. He might be able to surprise somebody who was planning to take advantage of your weaknesses.

I'm not saying you should take all of these pokemon; just trying to expand your options. But I would strongly consider Gengar or Heracross.

fire emblem guy

Smash Rookie
Thanks again, you guys have given me a few really good and helpful ideas to change things around alot, I appreciate very much. I will finish up redoing them and post what I come up with. It should look alot better and hopefully you guys will be willing to help me continue working it out :D

c3gill

Smash Ace
Thanks again, you guys have given me a few really good and helpful ideas to change things around alot, I appreciate very much. I will finish up redoing them and post what I come up with. It should look alot better and hopefully you guys will be willing to help me continue working it out :D
no problem- as long as you are willing to work on your team, im sure you will find people here willing to offer advice and a few suggestions.

Maybe once your finished we could do a little dark team battle on shoddy? :)

fire emblem guy

Smash Rookie
sounds good :) I just installed that last night and started putting in my team :p
Ok, changed a lot in my team and I think this looks a lot better then the first after reading over everything.

1.Aerodactyl @ focus sash
Nature: jolly
Ability: presure
EVs: HP 4
attack 252
speed 252
1.taunt
2.stealth rock
3.ice fang
4.rock slide

set up and kill other persons lead

2.Weavile @ choice band
Presure
careful
EVs: HP 40
attack 252
speed 216
1.pursuit
2.ice shard
3.brick break
4.ice punch

"revenge killer"

3.Houndoom @ Flame Orb
Flash Fire
Rash
speed 216
special attack 252
1.over heat
2.dark pulse
3.flame thrower
4.nasty plot

Fast and high special attack

4.Tyranitar @ leftovers
sand stream
adamant
EVs: HP 176
attack 252
speed 80
1.earthquake
2.crunch
3.stone edge
4.pursuit

tank and hard hitter, sets up for cacturne

5.Cacturne @ bright powder
sand veil
adamant
EVs: attack 252
defense 4
speed 252
1.sucker punch
2.substitute
3.focus punch
4.sword dance

avoid hits with evade and substitute and hit fast and hard

6.Garchomp @ life orb
Sand Veil
adamant
defense 4
speed 252
1.stone edge
2.Earthquake
3.crunch
4.sword dance

tank and hard hitter.

The only issue I see is that I don't have much of a counter to water types. You guys think I would be ok with just going with dark moves against the water or would there be a good way to work in something more of counter to it in the team?

c3gill

Smash Ace
sounds good :) I just installed that last night and started putting in my team :p
Ok, changed a lot in my team and I think this looks a lot better then the first after reading over everything.

1.Aerodactyl @ focus sash
Nature: jolly
Ability: presure
EVs: HP 4
attack 252
speed 252
1.taunt
2.stealth rock
3.ice fang
4.rock slide

set up and kill other persons lead

Much better lead. I like Stone Edge over Rock Slide, but the accuracy and flinch rate in Rock Slide is great. Good set to lead with- if you expect your opponent is running a Fake Out lead, drop Ice Fang for Protect.

2.Weavile @ chople berry
Synchronize
careful
attack 252
speed 216
1.pursuit
2.ice shard
3.brick break
4.ice punch

"revenge killer"

Chople isnt what you want to be running on this set- Band or LO for more power. As you plan on using it as a revenge killer, it shouldnt be taking any damage other than from switching in and out. Careful isnt a good nature to run on him, go Jolly- more speed on this dude the better. Im assuming you took your EVs straight from Smogon... eh, im all for 252 speed evs- Weavile speed ties are ugly.

3.Houndoom @ Flame Orb
Flash Fire
Rash
speed 216
special attack 252
1.over heat
2.dark pulse
3.flame thrower
4.nasty plot

Fast and high special attack

Timid over Rash. Not Overheat. HP Fighting over Overheat. Still taking EVs from Smogon? again, I like 252 speed, but your call. Flame Orb, if it works, is a **** good idea.

4.Tyranitar @ leftovers
sand stream
adamant
EVs: HP 176
attack 252
speed 80
1.earthquake
2.crunch
3.stone edge
4.pursuit

tank and hard hitter, sets up for cacturne

2 Options:
1)Drop Pursuit for Dragon Dance, your not running a banded set so change those EVs up as well. 252 Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP.
2) Drop EQ for Aqua Tail and throw a Choice Band on this beast.

5.Cacturne @ bright powder
sand veil
adamant
defense 4
speed 252
1.sucker punch
2.substitute
3.focus punch
4.sword dance

avoid hits with evade and substitute and hit fast and hard

Problem with Water? Drop Something for Seed Bomb.

6.Garchomp @ life orb
Solid Rock
adamant
defense 4
speed 252
1.stone edge
2.Earthquake
3.crunch
4.sword dance

tank and hard hitter.

Garchomp gets sand veil, not solid rock. This set needs Dragon Claw over Stone Edge- that STAB is better than the coverage.

The only issue I see is that I don't have much of a counter to water types. You guys think I would be ok with just going with dark moves against the water or would there be a good way to work in something more of counter to it in the team?
This team is MUCH better. While I like TTar+cacturne+Chomp, i think you need to replace Cacturne- you have 4 attackers on your team as is. Might I suggest a support Umbreon? Ttar and Chomp work very well with a wish passer to keep them healed up, especially if you choose to run Scarf Chomp and Band Ttar.

Another issue is your massive weakness to fighting and bug types- answer to that is Honchkrow. Yes it still takes neutral damage from both, but manages to hit back with STAB SE moves. definatly something to consider, probably over weavile (:cry:, I love weavile).

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
As a sidenote, the comment c3 made about fire orb on Houndoom to activate flash fire doesn't work. Just thought I'd let you know before you try it out. :p

c3gill

Smash Ace
As a sidenote, the comment c3 made about fire orb on Houndoom to activate flash fire doesn't work. Just thought I'd let you know before you try it out. :p
drop it for LO then, imo

edit: it is a good idea (works for those Breloom F_CKERS), pity it doesnt work

i ****ing hate breloom. to the point of it is the sole reason my Dugtrio knows Aerial Ace. ****head ****tard breloom *****es. its such a lame *** strategy. i have more respect for people who use those flinch hax sets.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
drop it for LO then, imo

edit: it is a good idea (works for those Breloom F_CKERS), pity it doesnt work

i ****ing hate breloom. to the point of it is the sole reason my Dugtrio knows Aerial Ace. ****head ****tard breloom *****es. its such a lame *** strategy. i have more respect for people who use those flinch hax sets.
Yeah...I'd agree. Drop it for LO. If you're going to activate flash fire, just do it with a predicted switch-in. Oh! That reminds me! If you do get rid of Cacturne, then maybe consider a sunny day Shiftry set? I know it sounds weird to put it on a team with sandstorm and all, but if you need to use your Ttar early then you may want to have something that can disrupt the sandstorm for the rest of your team later in the match. Also, it can be used as bait for people to draw out their fire-type moves, and that's good for your Houndoom. ;) I don't know how well it will work, but you can at least consider it?

Oh, and yeah...I still don't understand why the hell it works for Breloom to heal but not Flash Fire users to get the boost. It makes no sense.

Hey! I run a Breloom on my TR team. D:< Mine runs a different set (it's more like the hypno-bulk up-drain punch set of a Gallade), but it's still a Breloom! Jk...I can understand. I'd hate it too if I didn't use it. XD

WouW

Smash Lord
Oh, and yeah...I still don't understand why the hell it works for Breloom to heal but not Flash Fire users to get the boost. It makes no sense.
Simple.

Houdoom can't be burned and therefore Flash Fire doesn't activate by a Flame Orb. Breloom with Poison Heal can be poisoned; therefore that does work.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Simple.

Houdoom can't be burned and therefore Flash Fire doesn't activate by a Flame Orb. Breloom with Poison Heal can be poisoned; therefore that does work.
But Flame Orb basically works in the same sense as Will-o-Wisp, which automatically activates the opponent's Flash Fire when used. Thus, Flame Orb should do the same thing. ;o

That's why I don't get it.

fire emblem guy

Smash Rookie
Sorry had a few typos in the abilities and items that didn't get changed before you looked at it XD
and thanks for the heads up on that timssu, that makes me sad though ;-;

Weavile- yeah I think I am going to drop the HP and go with the 252 speed
Houndoom- not sure what I was thinking with rash...was wondering why fighting for HP though? and I guess through life orb on him since the flame orbdoesnt work
Tyranitar- think I like option 2 :) I know I will be going against someone who mainds fire type so aqua tail would be sweet
with switching out cacturne with umbreon would one like this do well?
Umbreon @ chople berry
Synchronize
careful
EVs: HP 252
special defense 92
speed 164
1.wish
2.baton pass
3.yawn
4.taunt

I actually kinda like the sunny day idea alot, Im going to take a look at that more :D

c3gill

Smash Ace
Sorry had a few typos in the abilities and items that didn't get changed before you looked at it XD
and thanks for the heads up on that timssu, that makes me sad though ;-;

Weavile- yeah I think I am going to drop the HP and go with the 252 speed
Houndoom- not sure what I was thinking with rash...was wondering why fighting for HP though? and I guess through life orb on him since the flame orbdoesnt work

coverage. HP fighting+ Dark Pulse hits everything in the game for neutral. if you hit for SE, all the better.

Tyranitar- think I like option 2 :) I know I will be going against someone who mainds fire type so aqua tail would be sweet

umm you have rock STAB- you should be using Stone Edge on his fire pokemon. or just send in houndoom and **** faces

with switching out cacturne with umbreon would one like this do well?
Umbreon @ chople berry
Synchronize
careful
EVs: HP 252
special defense 92
speed 164
1.wish
2.baton pass
3.yawn
4.taunt

needs an attacking move, give it payback over taunt-otherwise your a sitting duck. i like Toxic over yawn, but thats your call, a lot of stuff is immune to toxic in the game, but you can only put 1 pokemon to sleep on your opponents team. why the speed EVs? chople is meh, if you know your going to get hit with fighting its ok, but Scizor would rather kill you with X-scissor anyway, and Lefties you get a bonus with whatever your attacked by. your call.

I actually kinda like the sunny day idea alot, Im going to take a look at that more :D

Shiftrys sunnybeamer set...... I dont like it. It is the only pokemon to get a massive benefit (and its not that good of a pokemon), Houndoom likes the fire bonus but doesnt get a speed bonus. It is considerable, I wouldnt advise it though, unless your dropping Chomp or Aero for a pokemon that can use the speed bonus (not worth it at all, imo)

comments in teh red.

fire emblem guy

Smash Rookie
what would the aqua tail be there to cover then? just other rock/ground ppl? sorry not catching all those kinds of things :p
I like the yawn on the umbreon cause it can give me a turn for sword dance or dragon dance, and yeah I know I will be going against a person who mains fighting, what would you advise for the EVs? drop the speed then maybe put them into attack for payback? and I was thinking swap leftovers for people other then the fighter main.

Top Bottom