• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice for the new DK player?

Switchblades

Smash Apprentice
Well, coming from a YL main : Does anyone have any specific advice for someone beginning DK (how to play certain matchups, potential combos, counter stages, anything)?

I really have only played DK when I hit a bad run with YL, but I've found myself getting better and better with him. Im starting to be able to beat my friend's Fox consistently, and was able to keep up with another friend's Ganondorf the one night I played it (Could keep up, but couldn't win).

Any positive feedback appreciated.

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
Marth and DK are pretty similar. So if you main with Marth, you should be descent, if not near ex(cellent) with DK. Shffling with DK is simple enough 'cause short hopping DK is easy. I don't Wavedash with DK, unless edgegaurding or showing off. Learn it though. Also learn how to short hop Dair, Uair, Chain grab, Bair and Nair. Those ( to me ) are the basics. Short hop Fair when edge gaurding. Of course when you feel cozy with DK you can short hop Fair and Headbutt Spiking and wind up kills. DK is cool charcter cause he's heavy, powerful and quick. As always watch DK vids at youtube. They help alot. Good Luck.

Switchblades

Smash Apprentice
Heh, I should have mentioned that my Sig is out of date (updated it before I posted this), I don't really play Marth as much anymore. Most of the time Im playing YL and Jiggs (don't get me wrong, I can still play Marth somewhat well =P)

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
Some Basics

1. Learn to Spam the Bair

2. Cargo up throw to up air

3. UpB, learn to use it at the right times

I think those are the basics, learn to do those first, and other techniques such as using tilts and edgegaurding will come naturally.

halfDemon

Smash Lord
Just watch some videos on YouTube. It really is the best way to learn without actually playing. It's not that difficult. He's pretty much the same as all of the other tie-wearing apes in the game.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Advice:

Dash in and CC dtilt. Do it repeatedly if your opponent doesn't block them. Stop tilting and JC a grab him after a few. :D

Spam Uairs to uairs to uairs.

Spam the occasional ftilt to space yourself.

KlassixFTW

Smash Cadet
I like DK cuz of his size, such a big hit box is fun to run around and grab with. his size alone provides a sort of intimidation or sense of being smothered to smaller characters

d2Law89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PolarUrs
3DS FC
1263-6319-5484
Lol you need to Up B out of a shield a lot...it catches people by surprise

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
If you're near the ledge and you're facing away from it, try up throw to up b vs fast fallers. The fist will knock them off the edge.Then practice your edgeguarding until its near flawless and you have an almost instant way to KO. I found using f-tilt against a fox or falco's illusion works nicely because you can tilt it downwards if they try to sweetspot the ledge.

jdawgizzle

Smash Rookie
why is dk ranked in the lower tier- it seems like to me his big size is really his only major downside

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
why is dk ranked in the lower tier- it seems like to me his big size is really his only major downside
He's one of the easiest characters in the game to juggle. He can be chain grabbed like a mother f*cker. He has a horrible and easily ***** shield. He has an easily ***** recovery if your opponent really knows their stuff. Dk's approach sux. He has a lot of virtually useless moves. Huge target as you said. Most of his advantages are taken away almost completely on most stages. And any experienced player knows that dk is gonna use and abuse the bair, giant punch, and try to go for grabs, and that if dk can't use those effectively, he has no chance. Any questions?

pkmvodka

Smash Lord
He's one of the easiest characters in the game to juggle. He can be chain grabbed like a mother f*cker. He has a horrible and easily ***** shield. He has an easily ***** recovery if your opponent really knows their stuff. Dk's approach sux. He has a lot of virtually useless moves. Huge target as you said. Most of his advantages are taken away almost completely on most stages. And any experienced player knows that dk is gonna use and abuse the bair, giant punch, and try to go for grabs, and that if dk can't use those effectively, he has no chance. Any questions?
Yes, I have one.

What chainthrow are you talking about? I don't remember ever getting chain thrown.

Also, your claim about dk's approach being bad could be debated, his back air is one of the best.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Yes, I have one.

What chainthrow are you talking about? I don't remember ever getting chain thrown.

Also, your claim about dk's approach being bad could be debated, his back air is one of the best.
He can be chainthrown by a lot of characters. Sheik has d throw, to a jab, to regrab that works pretty well. Doc can cg, i think mario can, ganon can if you don't influence to his back, but even if you do he can usually f tilt you before you hit the ground or can jump. Marth's f throw at low damages, etc. It's not really that bad though, he can usually escape most chaingrabs pretty easily, but it is possible to be cg'd. And although dk's b air is really good, against a lot of characters that can spam a lot, its not as usefull. Especially someone like falco. Its nearly impossible to approach falco since his lazers turn you around every time you try to b air him, but thats falco, and he ***** all approaches. But even characters like young link or maybe even doc can make it more difficult for you to effectively use the bair, and if it becomes too difficult to use effectively, you don't have many alternatives.

Yeah, those two points aren't that huge of a deal, and they can be overcome (in most cases), but still, it is something more that you have to worry about.

pkmvodka

Smash Lord
He can be chainthrown by a lot of characters. Sheik has d throw, to a jab, to regrab that works pretty well. Doc can cg, i think mario can, ganon can if you don't influence to his back, but even if you do he can usually f tilt you before you hit the ground or can jump. Marth's f throw at low damages, etc. It's not really that bad though, he can usually escape most chaingrabs pretty easily, but it is possible to be cg'd. And although dk's b air is really good, against a lot of characters that can spam a lot, its not as usefull. Especially someone like falco. Its nearly impossible to approach falco since his lazers turn you around every time you try to b air him, but thats falco, and he ***** all approaches. But even characters like young link or maybe even doc can make it more difficult for you to effectively use the bair, and if it becomes too difficult to use effectively, you don't have many alternatives.

Yeah, those two points aren't that huge of a deal, and they can be overcome (in most cases), but still, it is something more that you have to worry about.
I agree that it's hard to approach falco, but that's pretty much it. Doc isn't fast enough, nor is young link.

And none of the CG you mentionned are real chain throws. Sheik chain throwing DK is a fat myth, you can jump / up b his face after a jab.

And how is ganondorf doing a ftilt after a down throw a chain throw? :)

Sorry but no, just no.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I agree that it's hard to approach falco, but that's pretty much it. Doc isn't fast enough, nor is young link.

And none of the CG you mentionned are real chain throws. Sheik chain throwing DK is a fat myth, you can jump / up b his face after a jab.

And how is ganondorf doing a ftilt after a down throw a chain throw? :)

Sorry but no, just no.
I didn't mean that the f tilt was a chainthrow, i was just saying that its either get cg'd or get f tilted. And i know that a sheik cg is escapable, its just a little more difficult at certain damages because she can do other moves and regrab afterwards, or just combo dk. Sheik isn't the main problem that i was talking about when it comes to getting cg'd, i shouldn't have used her as an example. But dk can be chaingrabbed by characters like doc. And as far as the approach goes, i didn't say it was impossible to get around the projectiles, i just said it was more difficult, and that really good doc or y link players can make it extremely difficult to approach them. But like i said, difficult, not impossible

Top Bottom