• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice for improving my game

Takumaru

Smash Lord
I like to think that I main samus and that she's my best character but when I see videos of other people playing samus I feel slow. I understand wavedashing, fast falling ,and all the technical jargon and can do all of it with a few slip ups here and there. But my big question is how can I improve my samus when all I have to play against are level 9 computers and some... less serious friends? Any tips would help, and yes I've read aftermaths guide and watched the video. ;)

Liengod

Smash Rookie
i know how u feel and i am the same way dont worry but see try and see if there is any tournements going on around u and enter them even if u dont do good its playing against other people thats what i did i lost every mach but now i got beter. and this was on saterday. it helps that quick

Famine

Smash Rookie
Two things....

1.Watch some Wes videos...he's really good and you can learn mindgames from watching his video's......Mindgames son...

2.Try sucking less.....

Flavor_Flav

Smash Journeyman
Two things....

1.Watch some Wes videos...he's really good and you can learn mindgames from watching his video's......Mindgames son...

2.Try sucking less.....
1. Don't watch Wes. Watch Hugs or Phanna, preferably Hugs (nothing against Phanna or nothin). Hugs has better mindgames than Wes so yeah and also Wes is retired if I am correct, either that or you dont hear about him anymore.. EVER!! If you wanna learn how to be flashy and stuff then yeah watch Wes and Phanna's earlier videos from like 2006.

2. Harsh...

Famine

Smash Rookie
1. Don't watch Wes. Watch Hugs or Phanna, preferably Hugs (nothing against Phanna or nothin). Hugs has better mindgames than Wes so yeah and also Wes is retired if I am correct, either that or you dont hear about him anymore.. EVER!! If you wanna learn how to be flashy and stuff then yeah watch Wes and Phanna's earlier videos from like 2006.

2. Harsh...
A couple things again....

1 .Wes didn't retire, he was Bum's teammate at MLG Newyork..they came in 5th....

2. Support your above statment with Videos.....[off topic] I seem to remember an Fc3 where Wes took out two of HuGs lives before he lost his one [/off topic]

3. He should still try sucking less....

hugQ Cortex

Master
Famine -

-Both Wes and HugS are awesome. You can learn a lot from either of them.

-Wow, don't bring up **** that's over a year old. What will that accomplish?

-"Try sucking less..." - Grow the **** up, dude. Seriously.

Takumaru - Here's some general advice that I think will help: Learn to incorporate the technical stuff in your game like the L-Cancel and Wavedash. I think this is the first step most Samus players take. Don't completely forget about certain moves during matches. I've seen Samus players forget that they have tilts, jabs, u-airs, etc...I think the number one move most inexperienced players tend to throw out into the open is the dash attack, followed closely by reckless aerials and blind smashes. Learn to control your bad habits and urges. Remember to use everything useful Samus has to offer. Watch videos of the top Samus player, HugS, but don't neglect watching other Samus players. You can always take something from watching any video, whether it's a Do or a Don't. If you want more specific advice, ask more specific questions. I'm definitely not a Pro, but I'll try to help you to the best of my knowledge :)

Takumaru

Smash Lord
Meh, this question is gonna sound stupid but what exactly are you trying to achieve with mind games? A lot of videos I see often times consist of people wavedashing around and maybe the first 20 seconds are spent not actualy attacking. I THINK that the first few seconds are to see how your opponent is going to react to certain things like if you short hop what do they do in reaction. Is that the purpose of mind games, to see how your opponent reacts to your actions and then mix them up or am I missing something?

Corigames

Smash Hero
Find someone to mentor you... I'm pretty sure there are good people in every state and in every town that can help you... I don't actually believe that, but there are tons of great people out there to help you get started. Just find one who can help.

Navo

Smash Apprentice
1. If your going to play againced a computer go againced a level 1 not a level 9, playing againced level nines isn't a good idea.

2. Don't think that mindgames are useless becuase they're useful and you can't become a very good samus player without mindgames.

Top Bottom