• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advantages over Toon Link?

Birdo!

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2036-8689-4968
What does Link have that makes him a viable contender when compared to Toon Link? What does he do better?

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
What does Link have that makes him a viable contender when compared to Toon Link? What does he do better?
Well there's not much I can think of. They seem pretty even to me, though Link has better kill setups and follow ups. The only real negative thing I can think of is that they completely alienated Toon Link by drastically changing him up, but that's an opinion.

Last edited:

Birdo!

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2036-8689-4968
The only real negative thing I can think of is that they completely alienated Toon Link by drastically changing him up, but that's an opinion.
I really liked Toon Link's new moveset when I first saw it cause it distanced him from Link more and also was more Toon-y and more like his Wind Waker incarnation, but now it kinda irritates me (mostly cause I main Link and it confuses me when I switch :p )

Last edited:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
They're honestly not very similar, with the exception of both of them having projectiles and a tether.

They should play very differently though.

Link has arguably better combos and kill options across the board, also much more range on attacks and grabs.

TL makes up for that by being much more mobile and having a better aerial killer.

They both have issues dealing against pressure. Imo link has an easier time with it, because his range allows him to zone better.

Link is widely considered the better of the 2, but TL is also quite good.

Tohfoo

Smash Cadet
When I was playing friendlies with a Toon Link as Link, I consistently won projectile fights. Link's boomerang and bow are much, much faster than Toon Link's.

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
I think they are pretty similar, but I would say Link has the advantage of not having his recovery move nerfed to hell. Otherwise I think they can both be played in similar fashions with obvious tweaks here and there. I am pretty sure Toon Link is a little better in the air where as Link is better on the ground, but don't quote me on that. I dropped Toon Link when I switched from Brawl to PM and I while I like Link I don't use him enough.

Baeklays

Smash Cadet
One disadvantage of Link going up againist Toon Link is Link's weight and speed. Toon Link has a better weight and speed than Link, but Link wins over projectile match up.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
The only thing link has on tink is range, as long as you exclude uair. Tink has better kill moves, they send at better angles and are generally safer. Tink also has a better recovery, being able to bomb jump multiple times, while link only gets one, and that's only if doesn't stale his up b. Tink probably has a better combo game because he's faster, and his projectiles are better as well.

Honestly, hate to say it, but there really isn't much of a reason besides preference to pick link over toon link.

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
Honestly I love link in this game because of his sword game. Up B tosses people soooo far, It always seemed like link's boomerang is more useful, for me as a player anyway, because I'm able to spam it easier, and when it hits the opponent it goes right back into his pocket so you can blast them with it over and over (especially when they're trying to get back on stage). I don't enjoy how toon link shoots to the ground, but thats because I've been using link's down a and 2nd down a bump up (you know, when link hits someone, then he bumps up and is allowed to hit them a second time) for great tactical advantage. I feel like toon link is trying to rack up % with projectiles then finish with sword, while link is really trying to kill you super hard. But keep in mind, I'm just a loudmouth scrub who only just went to his first pm tournament last week, and took 33 out of 33, and its just a weekly in massacusetts (smashing grounds at game underground) so.... yeah, My money is on Mr.Pickle, or anyone else here who isn't me.

Thor

Smash Champion
The only thing link has on tink is range, as long as you exclude uair. Tink has better kill moves, they send at better angles and are generally safer. Tink also has a better recovery, being able to bomb jump multiple times, while link only gets one, and that's only if doesn't stale his up b. Tink probably has a better combo game because he's faster, and his projectiles are better as well.

Honestly, hate to say it, but there really isn't much of a reason besides preference to pick link over toon link.
TL's recovery isn't better - the bomb jump doesn't send that far and is pretty telegraphed - Link also has stronger bombs for it (meaning he gets more height) and a better distance up+B when doing a bomb jump simply isn't an option (Sheik can needle the bombs, Pit can arrow them... heck I've seen a Yoshi throw an egg on a bomb to gimp). Not sure but Link may have the longer tether.

Link hits harder and his rang is better than TL's projectiles in general - the bombs TL has may be somewhat better due to multi-hits but they don't set up much better (or any better at all) than Link's rang, and Link can put his rang out way more. Link's KO moves may not have the best angles or whatever, but they hit harder to make up for it - and he has more of them, if I'm not mistaken.

Unlikely, but Link's dair also has no chance of accidentally meteor-smashing a floaty/fastfaller you wanted to KO off the top. And dthrow properly combos into up+B, which is a kill setup on spacies and other fast-fallers, and can get good damage on other characters at other percents - TL doesn't have that option (he has kill setups with uair I think, but Link has those too, and on big stages you might really want the up+B for a KO off the sides instead, like Dreamland). Up+b also semi-spikes which is basically a free stock if it connects on most people who are coming back from offstage and don't have tethers (or if you already hit them out of tether).

Link's uair is generally not that unsafe - sure his dair isn't great, but it's been sped up and it can be combo'd into just as well.

I don't think TL's uair is longer than Link's...

Also, Link lives longer. Small thing, but it matters. And I think his grab is longer than TL's as well, which can matter in various situations (this should mean Link has an easier time shieldgrabbing a Marth fsmash and maybe even a Peach dsmash).

Last edited:

Beorn

Smash Journeyman
Listen to what oracle has to say in this video. Link has so many limits and problems when compared to toonlink. Safety, kill power, Speed, Movement, Combo game, gimp game, projectile game, recovery,oos options I could go on. Toon link is better at all of these things. Toonlinks grab,throws, range, and weight are literally the only things worse than link and a lot of this is negated by being much faster and safer. Link is just not a very good character while toon link is. Especially in 3.5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79dkXvwCZzM&index=19&list=UUuBhMqosgW-ECZjJZ9pv0Dg

Last edited:
Top Bottom