• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advancing the Diddy Kong Metagame

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
@ N N4N3RZ you made the frontpage bruh! Good job!

These videos are amazing. Diddy is still the best character in the game, easily! HOO HAH NATION FOR LIFE! :4diddy:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530

These videos are amazing. Diddy is still the best character in the game, easily! HOO HAH NATION FOR LIFE! :4diddy:
Not easily, but I'd say it's between Sheik and Diddy (In my personal opinion I'd say Sheik is better but that's up to each individual for now, until the metagame further develops in a few years)

LuLLo

Smash Ace
As far as I know, all the things he explains in the video are already known, and it doesn't help develop the meta further. A simple thread with "use bair instead of fair and usmash instead of fsmash at some places" would have been enough. Not really worth watching.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Not easily, but I'd say it's between Sheik and Diddy (In my personal opinion I'd say Sheik is better but that's up to each individual for now, until the metagame further develops in a few years)
This was exactly the same case as before actually. Even before the nerfs, some people -including M2K- thought Sheik was better to. But Sheik now literally lost all KO power with the 1.06 patch, and even though Diddy has considerable less strenght in the air, he´s still got killer ground moves. Some people now speculate Pikachu to be better than both, but I still think Diddy is best.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Nice. I just feel it's sick that some people actually stop using Diddy because the hoo hah is gone. If they need an "op" or very good and easy combo to use a character, something is wrong. I like Diddy a lot more the way he is now.

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
But after the patch 1.06 he was nerfed - the hoo-hah combo so many players relied on doesn't work anymore.
It does though. Same thing as before, just simply deals less damage and knockback and will probably kill like 30%-60% later than before.
He's still dumb. Not as bad as before but he's not suddenly a terrible character like people think.

Goes to show that if a character doesn't have braindead kill potential and/or good mobility people will think the character immediately sucks. smh

Last edited:

Tokis

Smash Cadet
NNID
SmashB_Tokis
3DS FC
1478-3110-1670
I WANT NESSES DOWN GRAB COMBO TO WORK AGAIN :ness::dk:

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
it's nice to see that Diddy Kongs now have to actually work for the win.

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
Nice. I just feel it's sick that some people actually stop using Diddy because the hoo hah is gone. If they need an "op" or very good and easy combo to use a character, something is wrong. I like Diddy a lot more the way he is now.
Yeah, it's pretty pathetic. The fact that people flock to the EZ braindead character to win, instead of using someone they actually like, feel comfortable with, and want to put some good time into perfecting is just really sad.

TimeMuffinPhD

PhD in time travel and muffins.
NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
Plz guis do copy this to evry1un you see toever. Sakurhino is gonna be makking a KILL LIST for all diddly mains the NEXT PATCH!!!?? Just watch out guis. (if you don't copy this to every1un you see, the fesh pince of blair will come and get u). <<<<< Don't google that in the utubes xD

Last edited:

N4N3RZ

Smash Journeyman
I honestly have no idea who this is and is actually surprising to see my channel up here on the front page. Very much appreciated but trust me guys. I do not know the author :O

Smasher-LTIMT

Smash Cadet
NNID
battlefront157
3DS FC
2165-7609-0420
Well, it was Nerfed :/ the thing I can say it the Hoo Hah combo can be done, but its weaker, and only works up to about 100% on heavy weights, 85% on medium weights, and 70% on Light weights (I observed this with different characters, it stops working at a certain %, so most heavys stop around 100%, except for Bowser, he stays till about 110%, Jigglypuff gets out fastest, being the lightest, more knock back, less time for you to land a hit) Diddy may of been the best, but most relayed on the Hoo Hah combo :/ I used it, but only a few times per round, very helpful move! :D

Cree

Smash Cadet
NNID
NL-Michi
3DS FC
4613-9307-3814
My opinion, the patch didn't do **** to Diddy. He's still broken, and so is Rosalina and the other top fighters.
I don't even see people state Rosalina is Top 4, leave her out of the ¨broken character¨ list. ;-;

Sgt-Sol

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sol-Bird 64
3DS FC
2681-1465-2550
You guys wanted diddy nerfed, now he can juggle the s*** out of you woth grabs. Makes him even more a combo monster. #DiddyDaBest . Now he's just plain stupid with juggles

David Galanos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apost1e
I think he's still just as good just has to think differently at cercent percents. I think up throw combos are good to use to not just hoo hah. edge guarding should be more prevalent with side b and jumping back with it trying to react to a recovery. At high percents is really when his meta changes because you cannot rely on up throw up air or hoo hah unless it's past 140 or 150. You have to use his banana to connect a smash attack, or get a leg trump, edge guard, something like that, like a normal character lol. Literally the only drastic change is that you can't really on throw combos to kill, seriously if you dropped diddy then it's just like, c'mon lol. It's possible that Sheik is better than him, possibly even luigi? But I do think he is guaranteed top 5, all depends. He could be top 3, depends what you think of pikachu and rosalina.

Kid_Carlton13

Smash Cadet
NNID
KidCarlton13
3DS FC
0447-6623-7476
Diddy was fine w/ me gave me no problems going against him. People just complained when he rose to the top instead of learning the matchup.

DJ Arson

Smash Rookie
This video is extremely important to the meta game of Smash 4. Diddy defined the meta pre-patch and shaped the game early in its life (Smash 4's meta is still new and it has plenty of time to change). To see what he is capable of now is very important, even if your not Diddy.

These two videos only cover what grab set ups he is capable of at 0 and what his "new" kill options are. 60% of the match is missing, what Diddy can do mid-game and what position he'd have to be in to advance the game state.

Meta videos are crucial, especially videos on the best characters. There is a reason why they exist and its because of just that, they are the best (customs aside). As a player you should accept how the game is and what you as a player can do with it. There won't be a Wii Fit Trainer or Bowser video because objectively, they aren't that good. This isn't to say you can't be good with them but you need to put the time into that character and what they can do in these situations to "elevate them" to the meta game.

If people keep complaining that things should get patched because "its too good" then the game will never be on a competitive level.

Use the videos to learn the match up and to see what your main can do against it otherwise you're never going to get better with your character or at the game for that matter.

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
There won't be a Wii Fit Trainer or Bowser video because objectively, they aren't that good. This isn't to say you can't be good with them but you need to put the time into that character and what they can do in these situations to "elevate them" to the meta game.
At the pace the meta is starting out it'll probably take a good while till we get any substantial progress.
Most people are flocking to the easy characters so we aren't getting much exposure on the uncommon characters (which are also usually and ignorantly considered bad), and even if high level players barely touch those characters, other people aren't coming together to do much to develop their character's meta.

The only character that I've seen some good progress on is Shulk (who I main). Even though almost no one plays him in tournament, some of us in his community sub and Skype group keep trying to figure out a ton of helpful tech and whatnot for him. I think that type of thing needs to be applied on a grander scale for the rest of the cast, specifically the underused characters.

Maybe when characters are explored more people will stop being shallow-minded and jump the gun on how bad or good a character is.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
HAH-OOH
I believe the B O Y S will discover Wavepeel in a few months
How about his other techniques from the MySmashCorner video, were they patched?
Is there a "true" Diddy main, aside from Jtails?

Last edited:

DJ Arson

Smash Rookie
At the pace the meta is starting out it'll probably take a good while till we get any substantial progress.
Most people are flocking to the easy characters so we aren't getting much exposure on the uncommon characters (which are also usually and ignorantly considered bad), and even if high level players barely touch those characters, other people aren't coming together to do much to develop their character's meta.

The only character that I've seen some good progress on is Shulk (who I main). Even though almost no one plays him in tournament, some of us in his community sub and Skype group keep trying to figure out a ton of helpful tech and whatnot for him. I think that type of thing needs to be applied on a grander scale for the rest of the cast, specifically the underused characters.

Maybe when characters are explored more people will stop being shallow-minded and jump the gun on how bad or good a character is.
It's very easy to emulate top players and what they do but players can and usually are very bad at understanding why they do it. Players chose Diddy because "Oh. D-throw, U-air, U-air? Easy." And it was super easy and consistent, which is fine. It was okay that Diddy was capable of this because it could be played around or against if you know what about that combo makes it so good.

Shulk is a very interesting character to me (this wasn't on the patch notes but my friend Strike ( http://smashboards.com/members/strikeblade.303705/ ) and I have noticed that Shulks overall animation speeds as been slightly increased, this is just a thing I would like to know if anyone else had noticed.)
He's less about combos and more about spacing and capitalizing with the proper Minato arts (this isn't to say he doesn't have combos or set ups, but what about him is consistent)

I am all for exploring every character and what they are capable of, its very healthy for the Smash community and the game itself. People complaining about what a character can do, is poisonous to progressing the meta.

On a side note of mains: We all have one of course, but it is very important to have a second main. Characters have bad match-ups and players should strive to find a counter pick for the bad match-up your main has, rather than forcing your match-up to work. I personally think that a thought process like this is very proactive in that you learn all the characters and match-ups that character has, so you can have an "ideal" match. This of course isn't a new idea or anything but a lot of the narrow mindedness that comes from Smash 4 players is from players trying to get their one main to work against every character.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530

This was exactly the same case as before actually. Even before the nerfs, some people -including M2K- thought Sheik was better to. But Sheik now literally lost all KO power with the 1.06 patch, and even though Diddy has considerable less strenght in the air, he´s still got killer ground moves. Some people now speculate Pikachu to be better than both, but I still think Diddy is best.
Sheik still has bouncing fish and dtilt to uair. (also the ocassional airdodge read vanish) tho Diddy definitely has EASIER killpower.

Regardless of the case, both are amazing.

Villager is best character tho

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Funny how Shiek goes from the best character, to the second best character, to arguably the best character again through the course of the patches.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
HAH-OOH
I believe the B O Y S will discover Wavepeel in a few months
How about his other techniques from the MySmashCorner video, were they patched?
Is there a "true" Diddy main, aside from Jtails?
Yes me, but I ain't winning tournaments. I don't even own the game lol

Arc Quilava

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snowboos
3DS FC
0748-3092-2840
Switch FC
7015-6523-1723
I guess the designers want all of the characters in the game to be B Tier...?

Mochamico

Smash Cadet
NNID
FancyPancy
3DS FC
3437-4422-3883
I will never take anyone who plays Diddy Kong in a competitive way seriously.

Top Bottom