• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advanced Techniques?

Hakkat

Smash Apprentice
Do you think there will be any advanced techniques? I am pretty sure there will be no wavedashing, but what about dash-dancing and L-canceling? I am also hoping for character-specific techniques, such as Fox/Falco's drillshine and Pika's QAC.

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
I'd be shocked if Dash Dancing wasn't there, and really do want L-canceling (and Wavedashing), but I doubt that'll make it.

Also, a Brawl styled foxtrot had better be there, now that tripping is absent, and DACUS would be nice.

D

Deleted member

I bet that some Advanced Techniques will surface when we play the games more.

I do hope that L-Cancelling does return... but I doubt that will happen.

Hakkat

Smash Apprentice
yeah, I REALLY want dash-dancing, because I main Pika, and my DD proves very helpful when I play Pika. I was hoping for wavedashing too, but I highly doubt it. I also think L-canceling won't make it, which is sad :(

However, I hope they don't make a type of auto-Lcancel. That would suck. And yes, I hope Dacus returns, it was actually one of the good things about Brawl.

P.S. Is tripping confirmed to 100% NOT be in Smash 4? That would be awesome!!! Tripping was terrible.

D

Deleted member

P.S. Is tripping confirmed to 100% NOT be in Smash 4? That would be awesome!!! Tripping was terrible.
Sakurai said that tripping was removed. I think he most likely means random tripping.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Alright so here is what i think could return. imo
1. wavebouncing
2. glide tossing
3. DACUS
4. I believe L-canceling could come back or reduced aerial lag, seeing this game has 64 esque feel to me, (minus crazy hit stun and air dodges and wall teching)
5. Reverse-b
6. Boost grab
7. The Ledges are no longer magnetized, i've noticed you can't grab unless your facing foward. (see the sakurai video)
8. Hopefully the tethering is better
9. Obviously teching will be easier to do than brawl.
10. Obviously DI'ing (tho that comet thing is odd)
11. Dash dancing (yes ALL tripping is gone)
12. Hopefully u-smash/upb outta shield and dropping shield while at the same time going down the platform.
13. Fast-falling...lol (it won't be that floaty)

Now just add more hitstun and there ya go... good game. Now the thing I don't see coming back is wavedashing/landing and I think we'll still get the brawl shields.

D

Deleted member

THANK YOU SAKURAI!

but what's the difference between tripping and random tripping?
In Brawl, you can forcibly trip someone by attacking or using a banana peel while random tripping is, like the name suggests, you randomly trip 1% (2% if you're Luigi) of the time when you dash.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Crouch & Dash cancelling. Dash dancing I would like to come back but can live without.

Medaka444

Smash Apprentice
Unless there's ever a time when L-cancelling is less than optimal, I hope it doesn't return. Better to just greatly reduce the lag on aerials.

Hitstun better be like what it was in the first two games. Wavedashing definitely won't return, given that - I think - air dodges are identical to Brawl air dodges. I expect DACUS, dash~Up-smash cancel, and others and really hope for B-sticking. The others, I don't know enough about.

Hakkat

Smash Apprentice
I would like to see DACUS :) I like to DACUS, it feels very rewarding and useful, it even makes Ganon feel like he has some mobility (aside from down-b) in Project M. I would love to DACUS with Pika, just another technique to add to his already amazing movement techniques! ^_^

Accf124

Smash Journeyman
Wavebounce and dash dance please. Also pivot grab would be kinda nice.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
There's a lot of wishful thinking here. Ascended glitches are not exactly in sync with Sakuari's design approach.

We could see some new techs that fall through the development cracks, but I wouldn't hold my breath with any existing ATs given the franchise history.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
All this talk but then, sakurai sends updates to remove these "mistakes"; my biggest fear plus maybe buffing and nerfing... Noooooooooo

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
In one of the trailers, you can see a Link doing a Breversed arrow. Maybe it'll get taken out later in development, though.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Oh and in sanic's trailer, mario did a pivot grab

Edit: Oh I saw link doing a b-reversed arrow, its on the develepor's direct after showcasing the wii fit trainer

El Duderino

Smash Ace
Made an account just to post this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_z4u74cHUU
0:11 in the trailer. Keep an eye on Pikachu. Doesn't it look like he's Dash Dancing to you?

Not really. Now this is dash dancing
(frame perfect btw). Pikachu is just changing run directions, there's no indication yet that you'll be able to turn on a dime, or at least closer to it.

Remember tripping is just one obstacle in the way. Brawl also introduced much stricter conditions for changing directions, making dash dancing even less practical.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
Does sakurai ever listen to the competitive community? I mean I get that he doesn't want it to be a fully hardcore game and I respect that. But still. And do my eyes deceive me? Is that hitstun in sonic's trailer or bad DI/late recovery?

BSP

Smash Legend
We can't discern anything about hitstun cancelling from Sonic's trailer. There is hitstun for sure, but we don't know if the players are trying to cancel it ASAP.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The hitstun seems to be very similar to Melee's hitstun. Good.
We could see some new techs that fall through the development cracks, but I wouldn't hold my breath with any existing ATs given the franchise history.
Teching (including on the ground, walls, and ceiling) will most definitely return, along with probably gliding, wall clinging, etc.

As for everything else, I imagine the team will just streamline L-cancelling to where there is less aerial lag to make all the crappy characters not suck in the air.
but what's the difference between tripping and random tripping?
The difference between being on fire after running through a burning building and spontaneous combustion.
One has a cause and effect and makes sense, and the other is out of nowhere and makes no sense whatsoever.
Unless there's ever a time when L-cancelling is less than optimal, I hope it doesn't return. Better to just greatly reduce the lag on aerials.
This. All of this I agree with and I think will happen.

However, I will say that in the off chance we get a Tekken character, expect them to wavedash! :laugh:

BSP

Smash Legend
The hitstun seems to be very similar to Melee's hitstun. Good.

As far as I know, Brawl's hitstun = Melee's hitstun, except you can cancel Brawl's early. Unless we know the players in the trailer are trying to cancel the hitstun, which I don't know how we could, we don't know what the hitstun system is like.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
As far as I know, Brawl's hitstun = Melee's hitstun, except you can cancel Brawl's early. Unless we know the players in the trailer are trying to cancel the hitstun, which I don't know how we could, we don't know what the hitstun system is like.
I'm no expert on hitstun data (especially for Brawl), but yea, the cancelling part is the huge difference.

And yeah, it does give off that more Melee level of hitstun vibe; not just in this video, but in the Mega Man reveal clips and especially in the Mega Man vs. Mario match as well.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
So long as we got teching and short hopping.
I bet someone will find out how to moonwalk while shooting lemons with megaman,
the gamepad is a very complex controller, if they add customizeable controls they're bound to slip up.
Imagine, SSSSS: Stylus Shorthop Smash Slide Shake.
Swipe the stylus across the screen while shorthopping into a forward smash while shaking the controller to slide and reduce landing lag by .034 frames.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
the gamepad is a very complex controller, if they add customizeable controls they're bound to slip up.
Swipe the stylus across the screen while shorthopping into a forward smash while shaking the controller to slide and reduce landing lag by .034 frames.
Honestly the gamepad will probably just play like a wii u pro controller... Except with a screen =P

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I believe sakurai stated that there will be no touch controls involved in either version.
@ TT I'm going to be annoyed if there is no combing in smash 4, didn't sakurai say he wanted it to be between melee and brawl? so why the hell would he keep brawl's lack of hitstun?

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I believe sakurai stated that there will be no touch controls involved in either version.
@ TT I'm going to be annoyed if there is no combing in smash 4, didn't sakurai say he wanted it to be between melee and brawl? so why the hell would he keep brawl's lack of hitstun?
Dude, seriously I was just joking about the touch controls.
Besides, Sakurai said he wouldn't include touch controls if it gave player's an unfair advantage over other controller types. It, wouldn't be unfair and it isn't really necessary. I mean I can see how it'd be nice to swipe your right thumb on a 3ds screen like a c-stick so you can Bair attack. There's really no reason to not include touch controls. More importantly, Sakurai says alot of things. Like how he didn't think an animal crossing rep would make sense in a fighting game but now we got the villager in smash 4.
Brawl's hitstun was the same as Melee's, except that your opponent could cancel it by air dodging. If they don't input anything the hitstun is the same.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Dude, seriously I was just joking about the touch controls.
Besides, Sakurai said he wouldn't include touch controls if it gave player's an unfair advantage over other controller types. It, wouldn't be unfair and it isn't really necessary. I mean I can see how it'd be nice to swipe your right thumb on a 3ds screen like a c-stick so you can Bair attack. There's really no reason to not include touch controls. More importantly, Sakurai says alot of things. Like how he didn't think an animal crossing rep would make sense in a fighting game but now we got the villager in smash 4.
Brawl's hitstun was the same as Melee's, except that your opponent could cancel it by air dodging. If they don't input anything the hitstun is the same.
Yeah its kinda hard to tell if someone is joking by just text

Anyways, I said lack of hitstun, not brawl hitstun is different than melee's. I just hope that it won't be canceled out so easily with an air dodge because imo this new smash game needs combo's, without them it would be a kind of a let down for me. (again)

and imo I don't think touch controls are happening, sakurai isn't that flip-flopish.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Since this game is looking to be an almost carbon copy of brawl minus tripping, expect all the aforementioned things that were present in brawl.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
You do know Brawl's hitstun is actually the same as Melee's but there is a coding error that allows you cancel it?

Anyway, you weren't paying attention to Sonic comboing Luigi.

If you're talking about that D-Tilt -> U-Tilt combo, Sonic can already do that.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
If you're talking about that D-Tilt -> U-Tilt combo, Sonic can already do that.
I thought with proper DI that you couldn't do it on floaties. I'm used to happening to me since I play Fox and all lol

Anyway, that string went: Dtilt>Utilt>Bair. Unless the developers aren't testing for the same coding error again, it looked like the Bair was inescapable.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I thought with proper DI that you couldn't do it on floaties. I'm used to happening to me since I play Fox and all lol

Anyway, that string went: Dtilt>Utilt>Bair. Unless the developers aren't testing for the same coding error again, it looked like the Bair was inescapable.

It may have been either Luigi was at a somewhat high % or they possibly increased the hitstun. Its hard to tell really if they let him get hit or not by the B-Air.

Top Bottom