• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advanced Techniques?

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
You do know Brawl's hitstun is actually the same as Melee's but there is a coding error that allows you cancel it?

Anyway, you weren't paying attention to Sonic comboing Luigi.
That's where you see the brawl hitstun exactly.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd prefer if there wasn't anything more advanced than Ukemis (techs). If you can't pull it off with less than 2 buttons and a control stick it doesn't belong in a Smash game. And advanced techniques should be more than an instant win against people who don't know about the technique card. L-Canceling is a pretty bad example of this.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
I must have missed the part where Luigi canceled the hitstun? Mind showing me when that happened?
The moment you see him bare right in the air before the final kick, that's when he can likely just mash air dodge and be fine. It did the same in brawl.

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
I still haven't gotten used to MorbidAutism liking all my posts yet.
Make it stop.
*Altruism
MorbidAltruism

On all these notes about all of these things based on videos, early versions of brawl ran on melee's engine, things like l-canceling had been confirmed. Things could easily change

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
*Altruism
MorbidAltruism

On all these notes about all of these things based on videos, early versions of brawl ran on melee's engine, things like l-canceling had been confirmed. Things could easily change
For better or for worse.

Westinbestin

Smash Rookie
If we all remember well that when brawl came out we still were just as excited to get to know the mechanics of that game too, then we will all start to fall in love with the new Meta created in the new smash. Regardless of the lack of Tech skill and lack of Advanced techniques in the game of Brawl, I know every one of you have played it and wanted to get good at it at some point or another and then went back to melee or PM. ( which i do) So even if it isnt up to our expectations (Meleewise) it still is gonna be amazing honestly!

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
The return of L-Cancelling... now THAT'S an idea!

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
I'm no expert on hitstun data (especially for Brawl), but yea, the cancelling part is the huge difference.

And yeah, it does give off that more Melee level of hitstun vibe; not just in this video, but in the Mega Man reveal clips and especially in the Mega Man vs. Mario match as well.
Yeah but come on we all know that match was scripted, the annoying announcer is what sealed that deal.
(Just to be clear we're talking about the match sakurai played with that one guy right?)

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah but come on we all know that match was scripted, the annoying announcer is what sealed that deal.
(Just to be clear we're talking about the match salutation played with that one guy right?)
That match was probably just Sakurai vs. Sakurai, and it probably was scripted, but still, even in the four trailers we've gotten (for each of the 3 newcomers plus Mega Man).
Still, every smash is unique in its own way
Smash 64: Super big stages, super crazy combos, super crazy fun.
Melee: Lots of techniques, lots of ways to approach things, lots of new techniques, lots of good balance, lots of small-ish combos, and lots of fun.
Brawl: "YEAH! CAMPING AND STALLING AND POKING ALL DAY LONG!!! WOOOHHH!!! TAUNT PARTY!!!" (an actual former top level Brawl player told me that, lol!)

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
That's true, sonics just stood out for me than the other ones.

Also, can't forget project M. It's like melee and smash 64 but with the craziest characters out of all 3 smash incarnations.

Small edit: which is why I love it so.

Top Bottom