• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advanced Techniques

Orichalcum

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering which ATs you guys would think of beeing usefull for a ZSS. I have recently found glide tossing as quite good (she has such a good slide) but haven't really implemented into my gameplay yet so im unsure. Also i haven't been using much ATs with ZSS so just tell me what you would think of to improve please

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Recoil Specials are the main thing. Glide Tossing is also very useful. In general, B-reversals pop up in useful situations as well. Pivoting is useful for dsmash, too.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I don't use B stick to B stick. I just call it that because "wavebounce" is a ******** name.
Well, b-stick means b-stick. I'm pretty sure the "cool people" are all calling it Recoil Special, anyway. I mean, I am, and I'm cool, right?

Snakeee

Smash Master
I started using the glide toss backwards it's pretty useful and fun. What you do is have your back to the opponent, press to roll forwards, and press the C-Stick in the direction behind you (towards the opponent)
This works pretty well sometimes especially if the opponent is in your face.

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
I started using the glide toss backwards it's pretty useful and fun. What you do is have your back to the opponent, press to roll forwards, and press the C-Stick in the direction behind you (towards the opponent)
Okay thank you.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
What is this sticking of the B you speak of?
B-sticking is generally understood to mean: operating under a control scheme in which the C-Stick is set to "special." It makes several moves easier to perform, such as short hop reverse aerial rush, recoil special and Lucas' Zap Jump.

Often times, "b-sticking" will be used to refer to the use of any of the techniques first discovered through the control scheme.

Bouse

Smash Ace
Hrm, I might try this. I just changed my controller setup a little bit, so my setup right now (including the b-stick)
A=normal
B=Special
L=Shield
R=Grab
Stick=Special
I still use the dipstick for jumping but tbh it doesn't seem to change my gameplay that much when I switch it out to x/y.

Oh, and for recovering I've actually gotten her side b to hit the opponent and the ledge at the same time. Dunno if that'd be useful to anyone.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
This seems as good a place as any to bring this up, but I was wondering what my fellow ZSS mains thought of theSecond Jump Recovery, and its potential uses for ZSS. As expected, any ZSS aerial except dair can be used with this technique.

Obviously, with Zamus's super high second jump, this isn't going to be the next SHFFL, at least not for us, but I think it could be useful for following up falling uairs and whatnot. We'd have to spend time learning it and testing its uses, but we might as well try to think of potential uses now.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
This seems as good a place as any to bring this up, but I was wondering what my fellow ZSS mains thought of theSecond Jump Recovery, and its potential uses for ZSS. As expected, any ZSS aerial except dair can be used with this technique.

Obviously, with Zamus's super high second jump, this isn't going to be the next SHFFL, at least not for us, but I think it could be useful for following up falling uairs and whatnot. We'd have to spend time learning it and testing its uses, but we might as well try to think of potential uses now.
BUT, because of ZSS' high second jump, imagine the amazing U-air juggling you could potentially pull off at mid-range percentages.

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
Ive actually been able to successfully impliment that (as far as Im aware) unnamed AT done by holding Y while flip-jumping in order to give you a great horizontal or mediocre vertical boost by footstooling a char, projectile or anything else.
No lie.
When you do it, youll get 1 of 2 reactions.
1, If they have never seen/heard of it: "WTF just happened????"
2, if they Have seen/heard of it: "WTF just happened????"
Oh wait, theyre the same...
Its great for mindgames if you can do it well.
And once you feel it may be becoming predictable, it can instantly lead into a neutral B that you can charge while youre soaring away from your opponent and theyre (hopefully) dashing to punish you.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Ive actually been able to successfully impliment that (as far as Im aware) unnamed AT done by holding Y while flip-jumping in order to give you a great horizontal or mediocre vertical boost by footstooling a char, projectile or anything else.
No lie.
When you do it, youll get 1 of 2 reactions.
1, If they have never seen/heard of it: "WTF just happened????"
2, if they Have seen/heard of it: "WTF just happened????"
Oh wait, theyre the same...
Its great for mindgames if you can do it well.
And once you feel it may be becoming predictable, it can instantly lead into a neutral B that you can charge while youre soaring away from your opponent and theyre (hopefully) dashing to punish you.
I don't mean to be rude, but, you're like the 15th person to come in proclaiming that you've discovered this. It's ZSS' version of the zap-jump, essentially.

Bouse

Smash Ace
I tested it tonight, if you time your side b just right at the edge of the stage you can hit them with it and get a tether recovery. It's really annoying to get so it's useful but highly improbable to execute.
Not to mention you need to be on level with the stage which needless to say is pretty much not good times for Zamus.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
That's freaking awesome, I'm learning how to do this already now and I think i've figured it out! ^_^

Orichalcum

Smash Journeyman
Well i dont wanna hear about down b footstool and b sticking and stuff. Im kinda looking for "real" ATs/glitches whatever to work on. I got all the rest down and implemented glide tossing into my gameplay. Its very usefull. Thanks and keep it coming if you got any constructive.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Here is a video of the glide toss in action, though the sound desynchs just for a little bit, and I screw up a few times but you should get what i mean in the video.

Glide toss also works while throwing in the air and at the ground as well.
Not sure if anyone has tested this but while testing glide tossing you don't even need to be facing away from the opponent when throwing it at the ground.

This is pretty cool while testing with the freezie.

This could be useful in dealing with peach and diddy at times.
And possible snake if he doesnt cook his nades.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JE5GV4XK

As I was saying about the freeize I was facing towards the opponent and launched myself in a sliding fashion just like the glide toss.

Oh and the glide toss, you don't need to face backwards now how ever, just roll forward while facing them and let er rip and you will slide.

In that video however i was facing backwards.

If you do it forwards they will just expect you to toss your armor parts like you normally do.
But however they won't expect you to glide across the screen at them while doing so, while facing backwards would pretty much give it away.

Here is the video where I was testing with the Freezie.
I call it the freezie glide toss, since you are facing forward but it's still a glide toss reguardless.
This works with every item obviously.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OBAZFB95
Video Download in the highest quality that I recorded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvE8W1SHBYM&fmt=18
There is the yotube Link to the video

Orichalcum

Smash Journeyman
Yeah i got that glide tossing so lets not discuss this here and focus more on other techniques pretty please, thanks

Snakeee

Smash Master
I tested it tonight, if you time your side b just right at the edge of the stage you can hit them with it and get a tether recovery. It's really annoying to get so it's useful but highly improbable to execute.
Not to mention you need to be on level with the stage which needless to say is pretty much not good times for Zamus.
I actually do that a lot now, it's not really that hard though. Forward B just has so many uses. You can pretty much end anyone's edge guard off the stage with it too.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Yeah i got that glide tossing so lets not discuss this here and focus more on other techniques pretty please, thanks
Oh I know, I just thought I wanted to expand on it because I thought I found something pretty cool to do with it =/

Also, after testing all the characters
These characters have the FARTHEST Glide toss, Being on FD I tested at the end of it.

This is testing forward toss and the up toss

Furthest Forward Toss:
Pit
Zelda
Donkey Kong

Second Furthest:
ZSS
R.O.B.
Mr Game & Watch

By furthest I mean how far they go from the end to the center, but ZSS's seems just fine how ever in a way, since the others go TOO far, you might end up in the wrong end as ZSS with her distance can continue to keep pounding them head on with the toss as the other people would slide right past you and fail to continue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiLCUa8ql-0&fmt=18
Here is a video of it.

Ghost Slime

Smash Cadet
I know a specific killing combo that no one uses with ZSS.

At higher percentages, like 105%-120%, use her Down-Smash and short hop over the opponent and use a B-air on them. I can't count how many times I've performed this combo successfully. It's that easy.

Snakeee

Smash Master
I know a specific killing combo that no one uses with ZSS.

At higher percentages, like 105%-120%, use her Down-Smash and short hop over the opponent and use a B-air on them. I can't count how many times I've performed this combo successfully. It's that easy.
Um...I always do that lol.
But, something that I do that I haven't seen others do is space short hop B-airs. You have to do them on the way down, and it's actually pretty unpunishable if spaced right because you can't get grabbed. It's also pretty powerful, and sometimes even hits though a weak shield. Camping them sometimes puts the pressure on, and I often mix these with forward-Bs (and paralyzer shots) for my approach.

Top Bottom