• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advance Ness Spike Guide

Advance Ness Spike Guide

Forever 9

Smash Cadet
NNID
ForeverNin9
3DS FC
3626-0399-4225
Forever 9 submitted a new guide:

Advance Ness Spike Guide - Advance Ness spike tactic.

Apparently you can spike down really fast.
It all has to do with spiking at the right time after shielding/grabbing in mid-air.
So it's advised to double jump, then shield (grab). Video below is by me, gives you a better sense to what I mean.

How to do it: *once in mid air* Shield (Grab works too) + Down + B
After seeing the...
Read more about this guide...

JML

Smash Cadet
Didn't know which thread to respond to. I don't really get how this is a spike lol. Is it not just a quicker dair? lol.
When you said in your video that you were going to spike someone on for glory, i expected an actual spike off the stage, not grazing them with a dair :\

Anyways, is this faster than a regular dair? Haven't checked. But interesting that you can do this with down B. Appreciate your effort though.

Forever 9

Smash Cadet
NNID
ForeverNin9
3DS FC
3626-0399-4225
Didn't know which thread to respond to. I don't really get how this is a spike lol. Is it not just a quicker dair? lol.
When you said in your video that you were going to spike someone on for glory, i expected an actual spike off the stage, not grazing them with a dair :\

Anyways, is this faster than a regular dair? Haven't checked. But interesting that you can do this with down B. Appreciate your effort though.
You can actually spike people when you're high in the air now, at a faster rate too lol, not sure why, but it's useful in some cases. But if you're fealing very bold you can try it just on someone off stage, thought it's tough to get the timing done. It is possible though. I'll be back with an update once I find a way to do this without risking much.

Jonkku

Lacks pick-up lines.
After trying a little, all it seems like to me is that dair cancels fast fall, and you just have to input it again after starting the move, if you want to FF-dair.

I don't know where you got down b from. Other than forgetting you customised controls maybe.

Forever 9

Smash Cadet
NNID
ForeverNin9
3DS FC
3626-0399-4225
After trying a little, all it seems like to me is that dair cancels fast fall, and you just have to input it again after starting the move, if you want to FF-dair.

I don't know where you got down b from. Other than forgetting you customised controls maybe.
Wow. I meant Down + A - biggest fail ever by me...

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
seems like a FF dair but yes, you must press Down again because Dair cancels the FF, also gotta be on falling animation to gain the most downward speed. Nothing to do with air dodge.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
This is simply a dair fastfalled, yes? You are doublejumping simply to gain enough height to get the dair out.

Hotenjin

Smash Rookie
Through trial and testing I found that it indeed has nothing to do with an air dodge, Putting it simply:

If you activate your Fast Fall before you activate your DAir, your DAir will cancel your downward momentum.
SO simply active your DAir first and then input your Fast Fall after.
pretty simple if your C-stick is set to smash.
Flick your C-stick down and then flick your Anlogue down. (one,two)

and of course to do this you will need to make sure that you input your DAir within the parameters of your jump arc where the Fast Fall mechanic can be initiated. eg. At the peak of your jump or when falling.

Activate your Fast Fall First, Then input your DAir, and then Input your Fast Fall A SECOND TIME during the animation of your DAir. (one,two,one)

You should be inputting your Fast Falls anywhere BEFORE Ness fully extends his leg to perform the attack.
Performing it this way is benefitial if you are using this attack from a double jump at maximum height.
The natural speed you perform this input method at will create a delay between your first Fast Fall and your DAir input.
This delay can be used to ensure that the active frames of your DAir are active closer to the ground during your decent, making this move more likely to hit an opponent waiting beneath you on the stage.

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
Does anyone know about the size/timing of the hitbox? I've pretty much given up on Ness' dair for the uair/nair just to avoid gambling.
I'd rather know just what happened to the move so I can make use of it!

Originally, it was one of the best moves in the game.

Even in Melee it was potent, if you could time it right. (They added much more startup lag.)

I don't have the hitbox information for Brawl, but it was still Ness' setup aerial, as it was in Melee.

I have no idea if it got narrower, a longer delay, or what, but it definitely has been completely changed.

Noa.

Smash Master
Yeah dair is practically useless now lol. The hitbox is awful. It's slow, and it's very hard to land the sweetspot.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Does anyone know about the size/timing of the hitbox? I've pretty much given up on Ness' dair for the uair/nair just to avoid gambling.
I'd rather know just what happened to the move so I can make use of it!

Originally, it was one of the best moves in the game.

Even in Melee it was potent, if you could time it right. (They added much more startup lag.)

I don't have the hitbox information for Brawl, but it was still Ness' setup aerial, as it was in Melee.

I have no idea if it got narrower, a longer delay, or what, but it definitely has been completely changed.
Everything got worse other than the speed. It's awful now, don't know what the hell to use it for other than lag cancelling other moves.
Weaker knockback, lower damage, placement sweetspot added, end lag increased, etc.

Dair tier list:
64 >>> Brawl > Melee >>> 4

In relevance to this thread, there are a lot of unnecessary steps here. All you're doing is fast falling a dair post execution. It's good to know about, but really didn't require a whole guide dedicated to it.

Last edited:

Hotenjin

Smash Rookie
I have to admit spiking with his dair in brawl was easy as hell but they made it almost completely useless in smash wii u. I think they tried to limit his strengths so that the playstyles of all the characters were more unique and individual. Ness can rack up damage pretty easilly with PK Fire and fairs alone, I assume they wanted to get rid of his Spike/Gimp potential seeing as he already finds it so easy to get characters to higher percentages, which in turn also sort of guarantees a KO due to his powerful backthrow. Up against an opponent at higher percentages Ness has a multitude of ways to get the KO so I think the goal was to make his dair more for combos rather than ANOTHER way to secure a kill. They really should tweek that sweet spot though.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
It sucks as a combo tool too. It doesn't lift people off of the ground until really high percents, has a ton of end lag, and is impossible to sweetspot on a moving grounded opponent.

Noa.

Smash Master
They nerfed a lot of spikes this game. Perhaps because they removed meteor canceling. They wanted to reduce the impact of that.

But Ness's dair was nerfed too far lol.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
+1, pretty hard to find an opening to combo if your Dair has a frame 20 hitbox AND it gives you 30 frames of cooldown no matter how you end it (besides the first frames)
if it was just one of them Dair would have a lot more potential but both of them combined?
maybe you can FH Dair a tall character but that's it, really.

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
I'd rather it need perfect, immediate, early frame timing with a ton of ending lag, than how it is now.
The character feels seriously handicapped as an aerialist with only 4 aerials.

Top Bottom