• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Adol Christin's Journey Towards Smash (Cold Steel 3 on Switch!?)

ZelDan

Smash Master
Huh, was YsIX Ps4 only up til now? Thought it was already out on PC for some reason. Good to know regardless.

Also somewhat nice timing for me too. Right now I'm on the middle of Toal's route in Origins (last of the 3 I have to do) and after that the only Ys game I have to play is Ys VIII. Assuming YS VIII is more on the longish side like Memories of Calceta and Ys VII, beating the game could put me close to early June.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Huh, was YsIX Ps4 only up til now? Thought it was already out on PC for some reason. Good to know regardless.

Also somewhat nice timing for me too. Right now I'm on the middle of Toal's route in Origins (last of the 3 I have to do) and after that the only Ys game I have to play is Ys VIII. Assuming YS VIII is more on the longish side like Memories of Calceta and Ys VII, beating the game could put me close to early June.
Yeah it's a longer game.

It took me almost 60 hours to finish it with the true ending, doing all the sidequests and exploring everything.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Yeah, you're gonna want as much time as possible to sink into Ys VIII. I played it almost to 100% completion - Only thing left to do are the Beast Raids and Hunts (The latter of which are the most annoying parts of the game, thank frick they're optional) and the bonus dungeon, and it added up to about 55 hours. It was by far the biggest game in the series when it released, though I'm not sure how IX compares.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
those are words that just make me think "hooo boy..."

The way to get the true ending isn't too dumb or permanently misseable or anything is it?
The true ending requires Adol to reach a high-enough Reputation, which is increased by pretty much just being a completionist. It's easily filled by finding all the castaways, finding all the chests and landmarks, filling out the entire map, basically just exploring. The only truly missable content is the sidequests, and the game tells you how close they are to being unavailable, too. Basically, just do any sidequest that's marked as urgent before progressing with the story.

There's a more detailed, non-spoilery guide that should explain things here.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
those are words that just make me think "hooo boy..."

The way to get the true ending isn't too dumb or permanently misseable or anything is it?
As long as you do the things SharkLord listed you're fine. You need like at least 196? reputation to get the true ending, and by the end of the game I had more than that. At first I was worried as well but in the end it wasn't a problem. I just did all the sidequests, explored almost everything so I would not miss castaways, and more.

It's really worth it. If you have specific doubts once you're playing it you can ask your questions if you want.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
I made a few more Ys IX custom tracks for Smash:

The Cave of Groan
Knock on NOX
Welcome to Chaos
Norse Wind

(Also made Gens d'Armes and Eternal Sunshine from Ys VIII Super Ultimate, but these are set to be online in my Youtube channel in a few days. I'll post them once they are available :) )

I want more awesome music to add to my Smash Ultimate, can you guys recommend me some non-Ys Falcom music? Kick ass music like Valestein Castle, Black Wings and Cloaca Maxima.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

The Cave of Groan
Knock on NOX
Welcome to Chaos
Norse Wind

(Also made Gens d'Armes and Eternal Sunshine from Ys VIII Super Ultimate, but these are set to be online in my Youtube channel in a few days. I'll post them once they are available :) )

I want more awesome music to add to my Smash Ultimate, can you guys recommend me some non-Ys Falcom music? Kick ass music like Valestein Castle, Black Wings and Cloaca Maxima.
Easy
After an entire game of experimental, ambient orchestral, Falcom couldn't ignore their roots and created one of the purest Falcom tracks imaginable

SNEKeater

Smash Master

The Cave of Groan
Knock on NOX
Welcome to Chaos
Norse Wind

Maybe some Trails music?

A arranged version of Sky FC's battle theme:

Silver Will is a mandatory track as well:

Fate of the Fairies from Sky SC:

Azure Arbitrator from Trails to Azure:

Blue Destination from Cold Steel II:

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the replies! Some of these are exactly what I'm looking for, others not so much (but are cool as well). Thankfully all of them exist on Smashcustommusic.net, so I don't have to make myself :) PLEASE GIMME MOAR!!11!

I heard the Sword of Justice version of Evildoer before (I didn't remember it but my YouTube did lol), Gotta put that one on the game too :upsidedown:

Everytime I make a CPU Tournament I use Scars of the Divine Wings (Super Arranged Version) for the finals, and it always leads to an epic showdown:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Adol's being discussed on the new Character Exploration Thread! Feel free to come down there, chat about Adol in Smash, and explain the series to those not in the know!

SNEKeater

Smash Master

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Last edited:

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Got a few more from Ys IX:

Here's all the Ys & Falcom songs I modded into my Smash Bros. I didn't upload all of them because I priorize the tracks I "made", bt if anyone want to see any of these in action, just ask me :)

Bold are fan covers

--Ys I & II / Chronicles--
Palace of destruction
Theme of Adol (is it from Ys I?)
Tower of the Shadow of Death
First Step Towards Wars
Solomon's Shrine (Gametal)

--Ys III / The Oath in Felghana--
The Strongest Foe
the Strongest Foe (PC Engine)
The Boy's got Wings (Dr. Manhattan)
Ilburn Ruins (The Collected Ys Music of Ancient and Modern Times)
Ilburn Ruins (Hellion Sounds)
Shock of the Death God
Valestein Castle
Be Careful

--Ys IV / Memories of Celceta--
Underground Ruins
Seeking the Vanished Mask
The Foliage Ocean in Celceta

--Ys VI--
Release of the Far West Ocean (M-H)
Mighty Obstacle
Mighty Obstacle (Sword of Justice)
Ernst

--Ys Origin--
Scars of the Divine Wing (Super Arrange Version)
Genesis Beyond the Beginning
Silent Desert

--Ys Seven--
Vacant Interference
Vacant Interference (Sword of Justice)
To Reveal the Way to Go

--Ys VIII--
Sunshine Coastline
Red Line -21-
All-out Attack
Deadly Temptation
Gens d'Armes
Gens d'Armes (Ys VIII Super Ultimate)
Next Step Toward the Unknown
In Side my Head
Eternal Sunshine
Overcome the Rocky Path

--Ys IX--
Cloaca Maxima
Glessing Way!
Monstrum Spectrum
Norse Wind
Knock on NOX
the cave of Groan
Welcome to Chaos
Crossing A/A
Wild Card
Desert After Tears

Medley:
Ernst + Final Battle (Ys I) (Sword of Justice)

--Non-Ys--
The Fate of the Fairies (Sora no Kiseki)
Silver Will (Falcom jdk Band 2008 Spring)
Conflicting Passions (Ao no Kiseki)
Destruction Impulse (Ao no Kiseki)
The Azure Arbitrator (Ao no kiseki)
The Azure Arbitrator (Ao no Kiseki Evolution)
Belief (Sen no Kiseki)
Belief (Super Arrange)
Intense Chase (Zero no Kiseki)
Evildoer (Xanadu Next)
Evildoer (Sword of Justice)

Last edited:

agamemenon

Smash Rookie
Got a few more from Ys IX:

Here's all the Ys & Falcom songs I modded into my Smash Bros. I didn't upload all of them because I priorize the tracks I "made", bt if anyone want to see any of these in action, just ask me :)

Bold are fan covers

--Ys I & II / Chronicles--
Palace of destruction
Theme of Adol (is it from Ys I?)
Tower of the Shadow of Death
First Step Towards Wars
Solomon's Shrine (Gametal)

--Ys III / The Oath in Felghana--
The Strongest Foe
the Strongest Foe (PC Engine)
The Boy's got Wings (Dr. Manhattan)
Ilburn Ruins (The Collected Ys Music of Ancient and Modern Times)
Ilburn Ruins (Hellion Sounds)
Shock of the Death God
Valestein Castle
Be Careful

--Ys IV / Memories of Celceta--
Underground Ruins
Seeking the Vanished Mask
The Foliage Ocean in Celceta

--Ys VI--
Release of the Far West Ocean (M-H)
Mighty Obstacle
Mighty Obstacle (Sword of Justice)
Ernst

--Ys Origin--
Scars of the Divine Wing (Super Arrange Version)
Genesis Beyond the Beginning
Silent Desert

--Ys Seven--
Vacant Interference
Vacant Interference (Sword of Justice)
To Reveal the Way to Go

--Ys VIII--
Sunshine Coastline
Red Line -21-
All-out Attack
Deadly Temptation
Gens d'Armes
Gens d'Armes (Ys VIII Super Ultimate)
Next Step Toward the Unknown
In Side my Head
Eternal Sunshine
Overcome the Rocky Path

--Ys IX--
Cloaca Maxima
Glessing Way!
Monstrum Spectrum
Norse Wind
Knock on NOX
the cave of Groan
Welcome to Chaos
Crossing A/A
Wild Card
Desert After Tears

Medley:
Ernst + Final Battle (Ys I) (Sword of Justice)

--Non-Ys--
The Fate of the Fairies (Sora no Kiseki)
Silver Will (Falcom jdk Band 2008 Spring)
Conflicting Passions (Ao no Kiseki)
Destruction Impulse (Ao no Kiseki)
The Azure Arbitrator (Ao no kiseki)
The Azure Arbitrator (Ao no Kiseki Evolution)
Belief (Sen no Kiseki)
Belief (Super Arrange)
Intense Chase (Zero no Kiseki)
Evildoer (Xanadu Next)
Evildoer (Sword of Justice)
Great work, Wild Card is intense! May I request modding a stage with Erosion of Madness from Sen no Kiseki III, aka Trails of Cold Steel III? Thanks!

agamemenon

Smash Rookie
Oh yea, if you do the request, since McBurn has fire powers, it might be fitting to include a bunch of fire users in the match, like Roy, Pyra, Incineroar, Captain Falcon, etc.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Great work, Wild Card is intense! May I request modding a stage with Erosion of Madness from Sen no Kiseki III, aka Trails of Cold Steel III? Thanks!
Actually I meant chosing from that list lol but here's is it anyway:

Also, the last two songs, one I "made" and other a suggestion, I'll maybe upload more from that list later, just to show:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I hate to say it but I think Adol is dead in the water after Kazuya. Just because they would've used purple or white or something for the background instead of red if Adol was next. We have Ys IX on Switch/PC in a few weeks though & that's something I've been looking forward to for months now so I'm pretty happy.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I hate to say it but I think Adol is dead in the water after Kazuya. Just because they would've used purple or white or something for the background instead of red if Adol was next. We have Ys IX on Switch/PC in a few weeks though & that's something I've been looking forward to for months now so I'm pretty happy.
To be fair Steve-through-Pyra were each varying shades of greenish-blue, and a lot of the time it wasn't the first color you'd expect from them. They could just find a lighter shade of red for Adol, or just abandon the red entirely in favor of silver for his sword (And possibly his armor too, depending on the design used).

In other news, check this out

D

Deleted member

To be fair Steve-through-Pyra were each varying shades of greenish-blue, and a lot of the time it wasn't the first color you'd expect from them. They could just find a lighter shade of red for Adol, or just abandon the red entirely in favor of silver for his sword (And possibly his armor too, depending on the design used).

In other news, check this out
I mean, Steve was blue, Seph was grey, and Pythra were green. All very different and the first choice for said character (green is Pythra’s core crystal color and the only real unifying option that works for both of them). Kazuya could’ve easily been purple for his belt & devil form, but there’s no universe where Adol isn’t red given that’s his entire shtick. It’d be like if Sonic didn’t have a blue background. The only time a color hasn’t been the first choice in the DLC thus far was Terry, but blue is still half his design and there was no way Joker wasn’t going to use red. Plus Adol is kind of obscure to begin with.

I would preorder Ys IX but my birthday is coming up so I’m saving it as a little treat for myself lol.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'm going to get YsIX on PC probably. I got 1-8 on PC so it just feels more fitting.

Also I checked out the post-game optional dungeon in Ys VIII and goddamn someone really thought just dropping armies of spongey enemies would be a good time apparently. Ended up getting glitched and stuck in some area after getting halfwayish through I think and have to start back at the beginning now. Guess I better become save crazy next time through. Geez.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Remind me, was Ys 8 particularly important to IX? If so, I'll wait a while before opening my preordered copy
Apparently there's a moment mid-game that basically requires you to know what happened back in Ys VIII so yeah, I'd say it's pretty important. There's also a sidequest that's heavily linked to VIII and you'll probably want to have played through that if you want what happens to land properly.

agamemenon

Smash Rookie
supposedly, official zero and ao kiseki localizations (no idea if they're licensing the geofront script or creating one from scratch) will be announced tomorrow. the only thing left to confirm from the "leak" would be the trails of cold steel spirit event.

there's only one more character left, but we'll see!

SNEKeater

Smash Master

supposedly, official zero and ao kiseki localizations (no idea if they're licensing the geofront script or creating one from scratch) will be announced tomorrow. the only thing left to confirm from the "leak" would be the trails of cold steel spirit event.

there's only one more character left, but we'll see!
Yeah. Epic Games Store has "leaked" it.

Not only the Crossbell games but also Hajimari no Kiseki and Nayuta.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I've been asking a few questions about Ys in the general newcomer speculation thread, and SNEKeater SNEKeater said that I should ask any other questions I have here, so that's what I'm doing.

I bought Ys chronicles on steam, and it seems to have quite a lot of options.

Firstly, the description implied the base difficulty is easier in this version but can be changed to the original, so as a newcomer, should I choose the original or new difficulty?

The music can also be changed between the original, a midi version, and a rearrange. Which one would you guys say is the best? (I'm fine with all 3 styles if they're done well).

And finally, should I choose the original or new art? I'm assuming the new art is higher quality, but I usually prefer older artstyles over a more modern anime style.

Thanks.

(Also, I'd be happy with a Ys character in smash just for the music from the songs I've heard.)

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I've been asking a few questions about Ys in the general newcomer speculation thread, and SNEKeater SNEKeater said that I should ask any other questions I have here, so that's what I'm doing.

Firstly, the description implied the base difficulty is easier in this version but can be changed to the original, so as a newcomer, should I choose the original or new difficulty?

The music can also be changed between the original, a midi version, and a rearrange. Which one would you guys say is the best? (I'm fine with all 3 styles if they're done well).

And finally, should I choose the original or new art? I'm assuming the new art is higher quality, but I usually prefer older artstyles over a more modern anime style.

Thanks.

(Also, I'd be happy with a Ys character in smash just for the music from the songs I've heard.)
Tbh I don't remember that well the first part. I do remember different difficulty options of course but nothing about what you said. I only remember picking normal difficulty.

As for the music, go with the rearrangements. So you can hear arrangements like this one:

Originally composed by Yuzo Koshiro btw

About the art, both are good in my opinion, but I personally went with the new art, I liked it more. It's a bit more anime-esque I guess, but I think it still keeps the touch of the original art but with a more modern interpretation.

As for the game itself, it's not that long but is that kind of game where you'll find some parts of the adventure where you'll have to figure out the next step. There are always hints and all but the game, being a classic JRPG, doesn't hold your hand. Same for most bosses or some enemies by the way.

Still, the first two Ys games are very chill games in my opinion. Enjoy your time, and if you have more doubts or some problems with the game, ask us!

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Tbh I don't remember that well the first part. I do remember different difficulty options of course but nothing about what you said. I only remember picking normal difficulty.

As for the music, go with the rearrangements. So you can hear arrangements like this one:

Originally composed by Yuzo Koshiro btw

About the art, both are good in my opinion, but I personally went with the new art, I liked it more. It's a bit more anime-esque I guess, but I think it still keeps the touch of the original art but with a more modern interpretation.

As for the game itself, it's not that long but is that kind of game where you'll find some parts of the adventure where you'll have to figure out the next step. There are always hints and all but the game, being a classic JRPG, doesn't hold your hand. Same for most bosses or some enemies by the way.

Still, the first two Ys games are very chill games in my opinion. Enjoy your time, and if you have more doubts or some problems with the game, ask us!
That music sounds really good, if the rest of the soundtrack's as good as that I 100% have to pick the rearranged soundtrack. For the difficulty I'll just see what options there are when I start the game, and for the art I'll compare some of the portraits and stuff to see which I prefer.

Thanks.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
So, if the Cold Steel spirit board is real from the rumor/leak, then Adol is the last DLC fighter?
Not necessarily. The leak at this point I don't thinks it's real. And if it was, the guy didn't specify which character would be in Smash, just talked about the fighter being either Rean from Trails of Cold Steel or Adol. Who knows

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Not necessarily. The leak at this point I don't thinks it's real. And if it was, the guy didn't specify which character would be in Smash, just talked about the fighter being either Rean from Trails of Cold Steel or Adol. Who knows
It should also be noted that the "leaker" doesn't even know who it is, just that he thinks it's either Rean or Adol. It's also entirely possible we end up with Estelle - Not just in the context of the 99% fake rumor, just for Falcom reps in general.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Thanks.

I'd just do normal difficulty as the games can be especially harsh on higher levels, I personally prefer the rearranged version but I think this can be changed whenever you want as Oath in Felghana lets you switch the OSTs in the options and for graphics, I believe old style means the original games but I don't know for certain, new style is still sprite based in game

ZelDan

Smash Master
I've done normal mode with Ys 1-7 and Origins. I did decide to do Ys VIII on Hard mode and am doing Ys IX on hard mode now too.

I do kinda love how IX itself literally called one of its difficulty settings "unbalanced." Like damn, if the game itself is calling the game difficulty BS WTF would I want to subject myself to that?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I've done normal mode with Ys 1-7 and Origins. I did decide to do Ys VIII on Hard mode and am doing Ys IX on hard mode now too.

I do kinda love how IX itself literally called one of its difficulty settings "unbalanced." Like damn, if the game itself is calling the game difficulty BS WTF would I want to subject myself to that?
Falcom titles seem to like doing that, I remember some Trails games doing something similar by saying "May god help you" on the highest difficulty

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I'd just do normal difficulty as the games can be especially harsh on higher levels, I personally prefer the rearranged version but I think this can be changed whenever you want as Oath in Felghana lets you switch the OSTs in the options and for graphics, I believe old style means the original games but I don't know for certain, new style is still sprite based in game
I'll probably just go with normal difficulty then, I like difficult games but I haven't played many action rpgs.

For the art, the steam page said you could change the portraits between the original style and a modern style:

That's the example from the steam page.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I'll probably just go with normal difficulty then, I like difficult games but I haven't played many action rpgs.

For the art, the steam page said you could change the portraits between the original style and a modern style:

That's the example from the steam page.
Oh I assumed it would change the sprites too, good to know it's simply part of the options menu then

Top Bottom