• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Adeleine, the Miracle Painter (& Ribbon?): Sorry for the wait... but the wait continues.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You mean Mass Attack, right?

Though that's more a fanservice bit than canon thing, so IDK.
My mistake, mixed up games. That mini game did use several things from the anime, be it cameo's and even a background if I recall.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I'm happy to know that Adeleine is finally out! Can't wait to play as her!
In the meanwhile, as I feared, the picture in the first post became broken too, and now it won't let me replace it... if I replace it, it becomes broken instantly.
I hope the Smashboards staff will fix this issue because pretty much every picture in the site is becoming broken recently...

Other than that, I'm hyped about the release of Adeleine!

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm really annoyed because I can't play. The switch I'm using is messed up somehow.

I haven't used it in a month, and it won't charge

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
OMG, spoilers, SPOILERS!
That secret room with "ADELEINE RIBBON" written in star blocks, that Pop-Star world map remix (from K64)! It's too good!!!!!!!!
THE BONUS PICTURE AT THE END OF GUEST STAR!!!!!!! I'm exploding right now. Ribbon and Adeleine chatting and laughing together, or doing high five, is nothing compared to it, in terms of cuteness. It's also a nod to the true ending of Kirby's Dream Land 3.

Now I want to see if the new characters have stone transformations (they should), and the new puzzle thing.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
As someone who has played the update, can I just say that Adeleine and Ribbon are great? I'm not convinced they're quite as broken as Rick and Kine and Coo, but with the fact that they take slightly more damage in mind (luckily the damage is reduced on higher difficulties) they can do quite a bit of quick damage! Ribbon's Fairy Dance makes decent work of enemies and chips away at bosses, but they can easily be cheesed with the power of Ado's Painter! Sadly I'm convinced the AI can't use her effectively.

I've also seen a stone transformation of Ribbon and Adeleine with picnic supplies and another 64 photo with them as the emphasis! There must be more, as well, because I haven't even revisited the special gold statue or heard of any secret room yet!

It's fascinating how much my opinion changed on Star Allies! I had no interest in the game at first; now I completely feel justified in purchasing it!

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
After Bandana Dee gets in, I’ll be all in for supporting Adeline.

64 was my first Kirby game, I loved how much was put into it just with it’s amount of content, and remains one of my all-time favorite games.

With that said, I’d love to be added to the list, she’d be fantastic.
D4745B04-C4BC-4304-BC4E-1D1A709B6D87.jpeg

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
There is one thing I want to bring up about Adeline, and it is a big factor when it comes to Smash(Idk if all I am about to say is 100% correct, it's just what I recall). Sakurai is of course the creator of Kirby, but he had little to do with the Dark Matter saga, so Adeline is not one of his creations. In fact, Sakurai was very much against having a human character in the Kirby games(I think that is part of the reason it took so long for Adeline to come back). When it comes to Adeline being in Smash, Sakurai's possible old grudge might be her biggest hurdle. Of course, he could be over it by now, but you never know.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I just saw Adeleine paint Octocon from the anime!! Honestly, I really can't tell if this is simply a neat little callback to the show, it's hinting at a new anime (Hopefully, one that DOESN'T do away with the game elements like Adeleine), or if more major elements from the anime will brought over to the games at some point.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Adeleine does have some fun moves in Star Allies but I do have some problems with the character, which may just come down to balancing reasons. Without some problems the characters would be quite broken.

I use the dash attack a lot and Adeleine's dash SUCKS. Not to mention while Crystal Shards is a nice reference to Kirby 64, I do not like the move at all. Paint acts similar to water on certain enemies and I end up flying up and hitting things with Crystal Shards instead of Paint. Not to mention the Crystal Shards move isn't very strong.

Summoning enemies - especially the boss characters, being able to get stars and food, and stuff are fun

But, in this update I got to say that Doroach was the character I have the most fun with.

D

Deleted member

Well, I stumbled over this and thought it might interest you guys. Seems like Adaline's model has been ripped by someone. Still seems to be unfinished with the paintbrush, palette, etc missing. As someone who does a bit 3d stuff at the side, I'm pretty excited about this model. I'm so happy to see her back after nearly 20 years and in glorious HD to boot. Just hope it gets released soon-ish.

Oh, as for Smash Bros, I certainly wouldn't mind her, in fact, I'd love to see her. She's one of the few characters left that I want that aren't deconfirmed yet. A character with a playstyle based around summoning monsters could be really neat and I don't think Smash has anything like that right now? Closest might be Rosalina, though she's more of a puppet fighter and Zelda's down-B. Also she's cute.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Adeleine does have some fun moves in Star Allies but I do have some problems with the character, which may just come down to balancing reasons. Without some problems the characters would be quite broken.

I use the dash attack a lot and Adeleine's dash SUCKS. Not to mention while Crystal Shards is a nice reference to Kirby 64, I do not like the move at all. Paint acts similar to water on certain enemies and I end up flying up and hitting things with Crystal Shards instead of Paint. Not to mention the Crystal Shards move isn't very strong.

Summoning enemies - especially the boss characters, being able to get stars and food, and stuff are fun

But, in this update I got to say that Doroach was the character I have the most fun with.
Well, I like the character, though I agree that she has some gameplay problems, I noticed it since when they released the character trailer that shown her complete moveset.
Watching some gameplay online, I noticed that many people have problems at figuring out how to use the summons, and at the end, they just spam fairy dance and the crystal gun all the time.
There is huge room for improvement still, it's by no way a problem of the character, it's how she's implemented, and I believe that if she appears in future games they can improve her.

Some fast suggestions I can make right now are: don't slow down movements when you are using the crystal gun, and don't slow down horizontal speed when doing Fairy Dance; the dash attack should give you a minimum speed boost, and they should add a couple of basic slash moves, maybe a charged one that releases a big amount of paint particles.
As I said in a previous comment, I think that the way of summoning bosses should be different, instead of waiting until the wanted bosses appears on the canvas, you should be able to change them with the directional input when you are still holding the attack button; something like Shulk's Monado Arts in Smash Ultimate should work well, you see the drawing of the bosses around Adeleine, and with the direction you select the wanted one.
I think that the boss drawings should last 3 hits (with at least 1 second of invincibility between each hit), not just one, and the damage taken when riding a boss should be transfered to Adeleine, but halved. This way, riding a boss would also work as a temporary armor and there would be an additional reason to do it (an additional move for Kracko also wouldn't waste).
Also, I think they should give different bosses to her if summoned underwater (for example, Sweet Stuff in place of Kracko, Acro in place of Waiu, and I don't know who in place of Ice Dragon, someone with ice element).

Then there are visual changes that I would do, but this is optional:
They should reference somehow the fact that in KDL3 and K64 there were moments when Adeleine moved in stop-motion (when drawing during the bossfights).
When riding a boss, she shouldn't stay in that position all the time, she should give orders to the boss by moving the paintbrush, like in Kirby 64 when she's hidden behind the canvas and a summon is on the stage.
The summoned creatures, or at least the bosses, should be 3D; maybe give them a special shader so that they still seem hand drawn, but the model should be 3D, because mixing 2D and 3D looks a bit awkward...
I think that underwater she should wear a diving mask similar to how Kirby did in the GBA games.

Anyway, while I like to criticize and give suggestion, I'm not disappointed with the actual character, at all, and I'm still happy she finally returned.

Well, I stumbled over this and thought it might interest you guys. Seems like Adaline's model has been ripped by someone. Still seems to be unfinished with the paintbrush, palette, etc missing. As someone who does a bit 3d stuff at the side, I'm pretty excited about this model. I'm so happy to see her back after nearly 20 years and in glorious HD to boot. Just hope it gets released soon-ish.

Oh, as for Smash Bros, I certainly wouldn't mind her, in fact, I'd love to see her. She's one of the few characters left that I want that aren't deconfirmed yet. A character with a playstyle based around summoning monsters could be really neat and I don't think Smash has anything like that right now? Closest might be Rosalina, though she's more of a puppet fighter and Zelda's down-B. Also she's cute.
I was waiting the high poly model from Kirby 64 to be released, though they released the high poly models of every character except Adeleine for some reason. I wanted it in order to animate it and show my smash moveset with the model, though I realized it's not that simple and it's probably faster if I make some hand drawn animations instead (I did one for a grab move once). So yeah, I'm happy that the model has been ripped, though I don't need it anymore.

On a side note: do you want to be added to the supporter list?

---------------------

I'm working on an Adeleine & Ribbon moveset involving more crystal based moves, I will publish it when I'm ready.
So far, I can reveal that B+forward is the crystal gun (yes even on land, though Ribbon still lifts her temporarily), B+up is a rocket-like move by using the crystal, and B+down is a circular field of light that when hits an opponent, will hit him with a laser (a reference to the true ending of Kirby 64); B neutral is obviously Ado's Painter and there are several things you can draw with it (but only Ice Dragon is rideable).

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, I like the character, though I agree that she has some gameplay problems, I noticed it since when they released the character trailer that shown her complete moveset.
Watching some gameplay online, I noticed that many people have problems at figuring out how to use the summons, and at the end, they just spam fairy dance and the crystal gun all the time.
There is huge room for improvement still, it's by no way a problem of the character, it's how she's implemented, and I believe that if she appears in future games they can improve her.

Some fast suggestions I can make right now are: don't slow down movements when you are using the crystal gun, and don't slow down horizontal speed when doing Fairy Dance; the dash attack should give you a minimum speed boost, and they should add a couple of basic slash moves, maybe a charged one that releases a big amount of paint particles.
As I said in a previous comment, I think that the way of summoning bosses should be different, instead of waiting until the wanted bosses appears on the canvas, you should be able to change them with the directional input when you are still holding the attack button; something like Shulk's Monado Arts in Smash Ultimate should work well, you see the drawing of the bosses around Adeleine, and with the direction you select the wanted one.
I think that the boss drawings should last 3 hits (with at least 1 second of invincibility between each hit), not just one, and the damage taken when riding a boss should be transfered to Adeleine, but halved. This way, riding a boss would also work as a temporary armor and there would be an additional reason to do it (an additional move for Kracko also wouldn't waste).
Also, I think they should give different bosses to her if summoned underwater (for example, Sweet Stuff in place of Kracko, Acro in place of Waiu, and I don't know who in place of Ice Dragon, someone with ice element).

Then there are visual changes that I would do, but this is optional:
They should reference somehow the fact that in KDL3 and K64 there were moments when Adeleine moved in stop-motion (when drawing during the bossfights).
When riding a boss, she shouldn't stay in that position all the time, she should give orders to the boss by moving the paintbrush, like in Kirby 64 when she's hidden behind the canvas and a summon is on the stage.
The summoned creatures, or at least the bosses, should be 3D; maybe give them a special shader so that they still seem hand drawn, but the model should be 3D, because mixing 2D and 3D looks a bit awkward...
I think that underwater she should wear a diving mask similar to how Kirby did in the GBA games.

Anyway, while I like to criticize and give suggestion, I'm not disappointed with the actual character, at all, and I'm still happy she finally returned.

I was waiting the high poly model from Kirby 64 to be released, though they released the high poly models of every character except Adeleine for some reason. I wanted it in order to animate it and show my smash moveset with the model, though I realized it's not that simple and it's probably faster if I make some hand drawn animations instead (I did one for a grab move once). So yeah, I'm happy that the model has been ripped, though I don't need it anymore.

---------------------

I'm working on an Adeleine & Ribbon moveset involving more crystal based moves, I will publish it when I'm ready.
So far, I can reveal that B+forward is the crystal gun (yes even on land, though Ribbon still lifts her temporarily), B+up is a rocket-like move by using the crystal, and B+down is a circular field of light that when hits an opponent, will hit him with a laser (a reference to the true ending of Kirby 64); B neutral is obviously Ado's Painter and there are several things you can draw with it (but only Ice Dragon is rideable).
No other character in the game can do other attacks while under water so I don't see why Adeleine would be able to. They are all restricted to one attack. Some can use that attack directionally

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah, definitely, Sorry if that wasn't clear enough. I think she'd be very nice to see and I'm pretty nostalgic for the Dark Matter trilogy to begin with and would like to see more of that in Smash.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
No other character in the game can do other attacks while under water so I don't see why Adeleine would be able to. They are all restricted to one attack. Some can use that attack directionally
I don't know, I think it would be fun to have a way to implement water mounts, especially if, according to my suggestion, mounts are used as armors to compensate her weakness to physical damage (in order to give her a chance to keep an "armor" all the time and not only in some sections of the game).
Also Elline doens't seem to have problems at painting underwater.

Maybe make painter/Ado's painter her basic attack (usable underwater) and the slash as B+direction (not dash) instead? And map something else on B+down, such as I don't know, a new move involving the crystal. In this case, it would be nice if every creature summoned is different, and it's a water type enemy (the octopus thing may stay).

D

Deleted member

Sadly I can't really talk about anything Star Allies related because I skipped the game due to a multiplayer focused game not being worth it for me, Which is a shame because it seems really focused on fanservice with all the guest characters, bringing back fan favorites like the animal trio, Marx and Adeline. I will admit it's a really gorgeous looking game though.

Also speaking of gorgeous, there are news about the ripped model:
Seems like it's complete, weird transparency issues aside and should be released soon-ish. Also I find it interesting that they changed Ribbon's wings from white to a light pink in Star Allies.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Adeleine (B) moveset because I'm bored.
(B): Quick Draw
A canvas appears behind Adeleine and she quickly draws a mob that she commands to attack. Depending on the mob, the attack varies. These mobs include:

Waddle Dee: Runs forward, jumping occasionally.
--
Waddle Doo: Tuns forward, and sometimes stops and fires a magical beam from its eye. Can deal decent damage if the beam connects.
--
Wheelie: Drives very fast, running and pitting anyone it hits until colliding into a wall, which in then explodes.
--
Sword Knight: Immediately dash attacks forward, sticking any enemy it hits onto its sword, then slashes upwards, smashing them away.
--
UFO: Very rare. Zooms around the stage, targeting opponents with its strong laser attack.
---
(B)>: Flail
Adeleine runs forward, swinging her brush around frantically. Can destroy most incoming projectiles and when she hits an opponent, they take little damage and are pushed away. When hitting a wall, she is temporarily stunned.
---
(B)v: Canvas Hide
A canvas appears behind Adeleine and she quickly hides behind it. She can then do any of the following.
--
Press the (B) button to kick it down, pitting anyone hit by it and pushing away anyone near the sides of it.
--
Hold the (B) button to cancel into Quick Draw.
--
Press the evade button to simply come back out.
--
Press (A) to jump onto the canvas, which makes it a temporary platform.
--
Press any of the taunt buttons to perform a small tantrum (Kirby 64).
---
(B)^: Ribbon
Ribbon grabs Adeleine and the two ascend. You can freely move around the stage, however keep in mind that it doesn't last forever.
BTW I fully support Adeleine and Ribbon together in one Moveset. After playing Star Allies and seeing how much she could add, I personally believe that it would make Adeleine as a playable character that much better.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Some days ago I updated the opening post, I added new informations and changed some parts that I didn't like,
Since English is not my primary language, it's possible that there are errors or parts that could be written better, if someone of you is interested enough to read it and see if there is something that should be improved, it would be appreciated, though, I won't force you to do it.
Another issue is the supporters list. I checked the whole thread, and a bunch of people have been added in the list because they made a post in the thread, but there is no confirmation that they are actual supporters. What do you think I should do?

Back to Adeleine, I made a moveset, not a Smash moveset but a Kirby moveset for Star Allies; I tried to imporve it by adding more moves.
It required me some time because I wanted to make it fit the pause layout from the game, and to group the moves based on their theme.

Adeleine & Ribbon 1 (Canvas and summons)
-press and release Y: Ado's Painter
-<up>,<down>,<left> or <right> during Ado's Painter: Boss Attack
-"Use Boss Attack to draw a boss and ride it into battle!"
-"Underwater, Adeleine will draw different creatures!"
-L/R: Canvas Cover

Adeleine & Ribbon 2 (Paintbrush moves)
-press and release Y when walking or in midair: Brush Slash
-walking or in midair, press and hold Y, then release: Colorful Splash
-<up>, then <down> + Y: Paint Wave
-dash + press and release Y / after Brush Rage: Brush Force
-dash + press and hold Y, then release: Brush Rage

Adeleine & Ribbon 3 (Ribbon combined actions)
-"Use the Twirl and Dance moves to grab items!"
-dash + Y in midair / Y after Fairy Dance: Fairy Twirl
-Y after Fairy Twirl: Fairy Dance
-hold Y during Fairy Dance: Floating Dance
-B in midair: Ribbon Flight

Adeleine & Ribbon 4 (Crystal moves and friend ability)
-Y during Ribbon Flight: Crystal Shooter
-<up> + hold Y: Crystal Rocket
-<down> + hold Y, then release: Pure Light
-<up> <down> during Pure Light: Beam Control
-Press and hold <up>: Al Fresco

Some comments:
Ado's painter now includes both the old painter and the boss summon, you need to select the bosses with Boss Attack, if you don't, the default is the usual Painter move; It can't be actived midair anymore, only on the ground and if you are not moving (or when swimming, underwater - Ribbon will hold a floating canvas for you). As I suggested some posts ago, bosses now are more durable, they survive to 3 hits and have invincibility frames when they are damaged, though the damage taken by the boss is now transfered to Adeleine, she's not invincible anymore... but it works as an armor, the damage is halved (or anyway reduced by a certain amount) when riding a boss, to compensate her low HP. Ado's Painter is now doable underwater and all of the summoned creatures (not bosses) automatically aim at the enemies once summoned (homing shots). As I said previously, when riding a boss, Adeleine shakes the paintbrush in the directions you select, as if she's giving orders to the boss (and she's more expressive overall).

"Press and release Y when walking" is an unconventional way of mapping an attack in a Kirby game: in the modern games (as far as I know), only the Smash Bros ability has this way of selecting a different move (and it's not "when walking" it simply say to hold the direction). Though, I think it's fine, it's not too complex.

Colorful Splash is a new move: it's similar to Brush Slash, though it's charged, and it has an huge hitbox that extends in the upper right (if facing right) side of the character. Useful to hit aerial enemies from the ground... perfect for fighting Kracko. Basically, the slash is so strong that Adeleine creates a cloud of paint particles and every enemy in the area is damaged.

Paint Wave is another new move. It's the attack from Checkerboard Chase, Adeleine slams the paintbrush on the ground and a wave of paint goes forward, hitting every enemy in the way. It doesn't do much damage, though it pushes the enemies (and projectiles) away, it clears the area so that Adeleine can summon a mount. Unfortunatelly it is only effective in a small range close to the ground, it won't work in air.

Brush Rage is like Brush Force, but Adeleine is invincible and goes through the enemies (instead of bouncing back), doing damage. It lasts about 2 seconds, then it automatically turns into the regular Brush Force: you can chain the 2 moves against a boss (you go through the boss with Brush Rage and then turn back and bounce on him with Brush Force). While charging Brush Rage, Adeleine will stop running for a while and rage, like in her old bossfights; during Brush Rage, Adeleine flashes a bit and some small clouds of smokes come out from her head; the face is also more red and more angry.
Additionally, both Brush Force and Brush Rage will give you a small speed boost compared to a normal dash; Brush Rage will give you a better speed boost though (but you have to charge it and it lasts for a very limited time, so it's not really faster, not that much).

Fairy Twirl and Fairy Dance are just the actual Fairy Dance, I gave them separate names because the two moves are slighty different.
Also, I changed it from up+attack to dash attack midair because I think it makes more sense (it actually preserves your horizontal speed)
Floating Dance is just a continuation of Fairy Dance that will make you glide a bit, you will land slowly, still keeping your horizontal speed: you can use it as an alternative to the ground dash attack to move in areas filled with small enemies more easily.
Fairy Twirl will make you gain some more height, Fairy Dance will make you float a bit more but you gain less height, the sum of Fairy Twirl + Fairy Dance + end lag will always result in a slight lose of height, so you can't fly with it.

Crystal Shooter is Ribbon's Crystal, basically the Crystal Gun (I changed the name because I added more crystal moves and I didn't want to add "Ribbon's" to all of them). It will not slow you down when shooting, also, for half second after shooting, it will preserve the facing, this way you can spam crystals and move back, still keeping your facing forward and attacking the enemies as you want (fight Zero in KDL3 to see how annoying it is when you want to move back a bit and Kirby changes facing).

Crystal Rocket works this way: as long as Y is pressed, Ribbon will ride the crystal like in the opening of Kirby 64: as you release, the crystal will disappear and Adeleine will come back. Where does Adeleine go? It's simple: into a star portal. When you press Y+up, a circular aura of light will clear the close area from enemies, then the star portal will appear and Adeleine will disappear into it; the portal will turn into the crystal, and Ribbon will ride it. You fly just like the Missile ability in Amazing Mirror (you control it with the analog stick/directions). Walls won't block it, they will just change your angle or make you turn around if you are going into it perpendicularly. When you release Y, the light will clear the area again, and the crystal will turn into the portal again, Adeleine is back. If you hit the enemies while flying with the crystal, you will damage them, though the crystal will take damages too. If you overuse it, it will break and Adeleine will get some damage. So, you must be careful, and it's better not to use it against bosses, as they can attack the crystal and break it.

Pure light makes the crystal appear and charge it with light energy. When it's charged, it will shoot a laser for 3 seconds. If you interrupt the move before it's charged you will need to start again from the beginning, it won't preserve the charge. You can activate it in air, though you will still fall to ground once it's charged, so it's definitely a ground move. With Beam Control you can move the laser up and down to aim, and it will bounce on surfaces like the actual Laser from several Kirby games, with the right angle depending on the direction. It's a reference to when Queen Ripple is hit by that laser form the crystal, and Dark Star is released from her.

Ribbon Flight and Ribbon's Crystal (now called Crystal Shooter) are in 2 different pages, despite one move mentions the other; it's not the best solution, though in Triple Deluxe, the Fire Ability does it for a move, so I think I can accept it.
Shield moves are usually listed at the end of the moveset, though in this case it was hard to make it fit at the end, so I decided to place it in the first page along with the other canvas related moves. Again, not the best solution, but I didn't want to make more than 4 pages.

What do you think? :)

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
About the supporters list, I think it's safe to assume that anyone posting here saying positive things about our Adeleine wouldn't mind finding their name on the list :) so i would not worry :)

And about your Star Allies moveset, all i can say is you put a lot more thought into that anyone else i know; great job! :bee:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Simon Belmont, K Rool and a bunch of Echo fighters... that's... fine I guess.
A lot of deconfirmed popular characters too, such as Ashley and Shovel Knight...
What I liked the most of the Direct was that you can turn off the stage hazards, and I also liked some Assist Trophies, especially the MOON (it made me laugh a lot honestly, it will be a lot of fun XD).

So?
I think we can safely assume that Adeleine is deconfirmed as an assist trophy, since Nikki already does what Adeleine should (and they are also similar characters).

This means that she's either a newcomer, or a simple trophy, or neglected as (almost) always -.- I hope she's a newcomer, though the competition is high, most of the Dream Friends could become new fighters if Sakurai wants, Adeleine is one of the many.
On the bright side there is the support that came from the fans on Twitter; on the dark side, there is that other Kirby character who's getting all the attention from the fans and that I dislike a lot, that's probably going to steal the spotlight from other more consistent characters once again due to high request. Our only hope is that they will add more than just 1 newcomer, and even in that case, she has strong competitors, such as Marx, Magolor, and to an extent even Dark Matter, Daroach and Susie.
Maybe they can do an exception for Adeleine in order to satisfy the long time fanbase? After all, Adeleine is the only character with a separate artwork in the gallery in Star Allies, every other character shares it with the rest of the wave... this means that Adeleine is a special Dream Friend, right?

P.S.: due to laziness I haven't made the AdeRibbon moveset for the opening post yet, but I'll do it soon, I just need some more motivation. Yeah, AdeRibbon, like those who say RosaLuma, why not? XD

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
That casual AT Ashley reveal hit me hard but I'm not ever giving up on supporting her. I still retain my hope for Adeleine over Bandana or Marx as well. Maybe the pureness of her kawaii factor will help ease my pain with her in the base roster while I wait for Ashley DLC :kirby:

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
Hey, with my heart crushed with Ashley AT, I decided to throw in my next support to my equally favorite Nintendo character, Adeleine.

Before, I was really skeptical about her chances in Smash. She can't even get in her own game, so how can she ever get in SMASH. However, my hopes for her in Smash increased massively since the last Star Allies update, where she became playable! That update tells me that Nintendo is acknowledging her popularity. So now, I'm really hoping that she gets in as a new Kirby rep! Also it will help me get over the Ashley deconfirmation

Last edited:

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Simon Belmont, K Rool and a bunch of Echo fighters... that's... fine I guess.
A lot of deconfirmed popular characters too, such as Ashley and Shovel Knight...
What I liked the most of the Direct was that you can turn off the stage hazards, and I also liked some Assist Trophies, especially the MOON (it made me laugh a lot honestly, it will be a lot of fun XD).

So?
I think we can safely assume that Adeleine is deconfirmed as an assist trophy, since Nikki already does what Adeleine should (and they are also similar characters).

This means that she's either a newcomer, or a simple trophy, or neglected as (almost) always -.- I hope she's a newcomer, though the competition is high, most of the Dream Friends could become new fighters if Sakurai wants, Adeleine is one of the many.
On the bright side there is the support that came from the fans on Twitter; on the dark side, there is that other Kirby character who's getting all the attention from the fans and that I dislike a lot, that's probably going to steal the spotlight from other more consistent characters once again due to high request. Our only hope is that they will add more than just 1 newcomer, and even in that case, she has strong competitors, such as Marx, Magolor, and to an extent even Dark Matter, Daroach and Susie.
Maybe they can do an exception for Adeleine in order to satisfy the long time fanbase? After all, Adeleine is the only character with a separate artwork in the gallery in Star Allies, every other character shares it with the rest of the wave... this means that Adeleine is a special Dream Friend, right?

P.S.: due to laziness I haven't made the AdeRibbon moveset for the opening post yet, but I'll do it soon, I just need some more motivation. Yeah, AdeRibbon, like those who say RosaLuma, why not? XD
I'd say K Rool may have been a long shot if not for the vocal fan demand. He was probably contending with the heroes from the DK series, as well as from other series as well. Plus, much like Adeleine, until now his references were strangely scarce.

So I'd wager Adeleine has a chance of appearing... the question is, how much? I don't know about that... Nikki using the living sketches gimmick damages the percentage, but if there's one thing I learned from Star Allies, it's that dreams can come true even if they're originally designed not to. In normal circumstances, it might not mean anything... but the Bomber and Kawasaki items concern me into fearing that Ultimate will suffer from the exact same problem 4 did: a strong negligence of Kirby content outside of Sakurai's works. If Kirby does end up getting biased content, I hope the majority will notice this time. A lot of people seem to have brushed the problem away due to a common Kirby rep quota.

I suppose time will tell whether or not this game will be worth the wait for me. I did finally get what I was seeking, so I'd imagine as long as Adeleine stays in a safe scenario, I'll be fine.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I doubt Nikki hurts Adeleine's chance honestly... Nikki is an assist trophy, if she was a playable character then maybe, but in this case, Adeleine can still be a newcomer with Nikki as an assist.
I'm more concerned about the Bomber and Kawasaki thing honestly. I noticed that too, but well, let's wait and see.

Anyway, if Adeleine will be neglected and she won't appear as a newcomer nor as an assist, then, as bad as it may look, we can still request her for DLC.

Now, I finally completed the Adeleine & Ribbon moveset. I have absolutely no idea if it can work balance-wise, I wrote it in an hurry, so I don't know.
It includes some ideaas from the moveset I made for the old thread, though I removed the Canvas/Rainbow curse references and replaced them with Ribbon's Crystal.

<entrance>: The crystal from Ripple Star appears from the top of the screen and flies down vertically until it reaches the platform; near the platform, it slows down a bit doing a little bounce back, then it transforms into a star portal, and both Adeleine and Ribbon jump out from it. Just after coming out from the portal, the two character do that pose from the end of their victory dance in Star Allies, and the sound of a crystal shard is played in the background.

Most of Adeleine's moveset unleash paint particles. Paint works like the Inkling's ink, characters who get covered in paint become more vulnerable to physical attacks. Differently from the Inkling's ink, Adeleine's paint is rainbow colored.

<A>: It's Brush Slash from Kirby Star Allies. Adeleine slashes the paintbrush in front of her: at the beginning of the movement, she rubs it on the palette a bit, so it carries all the paint and releases it in the air just the moment after. This move has an hitbox on the paintbrush that launches enemies away doing some additional damage, a large hitbox where the paint is released, that has less throw power than the paintbrush itself but does more damage and covers the enemy with paint, and a small range of paint particles that doesn't damage the enemy but it covers with paint as well.
<A>+<A>+<A>...: Adeleine chains more slashes in different directions, and at the end she just shakes the paintbrush left and right very fast, similar to what she does during her dash attack. This move becomes weaker as you use it, because the paintbrush will run out of paint and if you perform it for long enough, only the paintbrush hitbox will remain active.
<forward>+<A>: Another simple slash, though this time Adeleine does a step forward in the process, extending the range; it's also a bit more vertical, so it also covers 45° above a bit.
<up>+<A>: Adeleine faces at the screen and moves the paintbrush from left to right with an happy face. The animation is made in a way that it resembles that animation from Kirby 64 when she joins Kirby in the adventure, the same move that is also used in her victory dance in Star Allies. During this attack though, she does it a lot faster and with more energy, and she holds the paintbrush a little more above than usual, so that she actually hits enemies who come from above. As usual, paint particles are released with the same structure as before.
<down>+<A>: nothing special, just another slash, this time it's close to the ground and can be performed faster (though it's weaker and has less paint range).
<dash>+<A>: Her iconic despearate attack from the end of her bossfights. It's a bit different from Brush Force in Star Allies: this is the only character with a dash attack that can be charged. The moment you activate it, you can release it to make it start instantly, or you can hold A to charge it and make it faster and more powerful. It's also useful to confuse the enemy and do surprise attacks. When you hold the button, Adeleine does a rage animation, and becomes more angry the more you charge the move. The actual move works similar to Luigi's dash attack, with the difference that it doesn't carry the enemy, it instead makes you bounce back (stunned a bit) when you hit an enemy, and the enemy is launched away; a fully charged dash attack can be quite powerful.

<forward smash>: It's like her forward attack, though it's stronger and releases more paint.
<up smash>: It's like her regular up attack, but stronger. She does a little jump in place to extend the range, and release more paint.
<down smash>: Adeleine rotates in place balancing herself on 1 foot, as if she's dancing. In the process, she draws a circle on the ground. A small amount of paint is released during the move, especially at the beginning (forward) and at the end (backward) when Adeleine stops herself from spinning, doing a dance pose and holding the paintbrush backward. The paint released on the platform will stay on the floor for a limited time, similar to the Inkling.

<midair>+<A>: the second attack of Fairy Dance from Kirby Star Allies; Adeleine and Ribbon dance in air holding their hands and revolving on themselves. The attack is weak, but it does constant damage and stuns; it also lets you float a bit (you fall slowly for a limited time frame).
<midair>+<forward>+<A>: It's still similar to Brush Slash, but in air.
<midair>+<backward>+<A>: Adeleine performs a twirl. In the meanwhile, Ribbon orbits (horizontally, similar to Daroach's Doc summon) around her with a crystal shard in hands (also revolving on herself): when Ribbon moves behind Adeleine, the crystal shard shines in an orb of light, covering Ribbon as well; Ribbon does damage until the light orb around her disappears.
<midair>+<up>+<A>: the first attack of Fairy Dance from Kirby Star Allies; Adeleine holds the paintbrush up, while Ribbon orbits around her, creating wind that makes her jump up a bit. In Smash, the moment when Adeleine slams the paintbrush up does a decent amount of damage, though, after that frame, the damage done is weak; on the other hand, the move still deals the paint effect on opponents.
<midair>+<down>+<A>: Adeleine kicks down with both feet. It's a weak move, but it's very fast and has very little lag.

<grab>: Adeleine "hugs" the opponent blocking him, Ribbon also grabs the opponent from a different angle, trying to stop him as well.
<grab>+<A>: While the opponent is grabbed, Adeleine slams the opponent with her right arm, trying to not release him. Ribbon simply holds the opponent and does nothing else.

All the throws start with Adeleine releasing the grab and drawing something on a canvas (that appears in that moment), while Ribbon launches the opponent up a bit taking some time. When the opponent falls back to the ground, the drawing made by Adeleine is summoned and it will attack the opponent. The canvas then disappears.

<forward throw>: Adeleine summons a Pacto (an oval yellow creature with round eyes and pointed teeth, basically a mix of Pacman and a Chain Chomp from Mario); the Pacto bytes the opponent, then releases him, launching him forward.
<backward throw>: Adeleine summons a Zebon (a semi-transparent blob that works similar to a cannon) that eats the opponent and shoots him backward/down: the opponent bounces on the ground and flies away.
<up throw>: Adeleine summons a Tick (a round white enemy with a red spike on the top and a cute face; when Kirby is above them, they change the cute face to an evil face and the spike becomes a lot longer and more dangerous): the spike hits the grabbed enemy and launches him above.
<down throw>: Adeleine summons an I^3 (a green-ish block with an eye on the side facing at the screen; basically acts like a Twomp from Mario) that falls on the opponent, doing huge damage.

<B>: A canvas appears, and Adeleine draws on it. Midair, the move can't be charged, and instead of the regular canvas, a smaller version of it appears: Ribbon holds it in order to let Adeleine to draw in air. When you draw in air, you fall very slowly and your horizontal movements are canceled (though the drawing times are very short and the move has long endlag so you can't abuse of it). Each summoned small enemy counts as a projectile, and it explodes in paint on impact with a character.

not charged drawing:
by default, Adeleine draws a Waddle Dee on ground, and a Bronto Burt in air.
If you select a direction (up, down, right, left) after activating the move but before Adeleine draws on the canvas, you can select different things (you see the options appearing all around Adeleine, in a similar way as the Monado Arts of Shulk). This only works when you are on land; midair you can only summon a Bronto Burt. By the way, you can only have up to 3 small enemies on the stage at the same time, if you draw a new one, the oldest explodes.
-no direction: Adeleine summons a Waddle Dee: it walks forward. Occasionally it may slow down a bit and do a little jump.
-forward: Adeleine will draw a Batamon: it works like a waddle dee but it runs faster and doesn't jump.
-up: Adeleine will draw a Bronto Burt: if summoned on land, it will fly up first; when it reaches a certain height, it will start flying forward with a wave-like trajectory, going slighty up and down. If summoned midair, it will start with the wave trajectory from the beginning instead.
-down: Adeleine will draw a Bouncy: it will slowly move forward, covering some vertical space as well by bouncing.
-backward: Adeleine summons an item.
if you select backward, you will draw an item instead!
Usually it's food, and it lets you recover a small amount of %, though it can randomly be a different item or even a maxim tomato! There is a limited selection of items that Adeleine can summon, not every item is avaliable. Keep in mind that you must grab the healing items before your opponent steals them to you. If you eat an healing item, the chances to get another one are decreased for a while, and it may happen that you will summon Mr. Saturn a lot of times instead. The item that you will draw is random, though you can see it before summoning it, from the GUI around Adeleine when you activate the move.

charged drawings:
If you charge the move, you can draw a boss! You can have only one boss at time, if you draw a new one, the previous one explodes in paint; summoning a boss also makes any of the small enemies explode as well. All the bosses are smaller than their real versions, they are just a bit bigger than Adeleine, except for Whispy that's a bit bigger maybe.
-no direction: Pon & Con. Pon & con jump out from the canvas and run in two different directions. Who goes left and who goes right is random, and how many of their sons will follow them is also random (0 to 4), though they are very fast and explode as soon as they touch a character or a wall, or recive damage somehow.
-forward: It's Ice Dragon! Adeleine rides it and she can perform the same moves she can do in Kirby Star Allies. Ice Dragon lasts for 5 seconds, then explodes. It can be destroyed with enough damage, and Adeleine can still takes damage while riding it, she only ignores the knockback (only if Ice Dragon survives after the hit). The moves are performed by pressing the directional input and A, while B will make Ice Dragon explode in a cloud of paint instantly. Many features such as shield and grabs don't work while riding Ice Dragon. Ice Dragon's moves are powerful but a bit laggy, since Adeleine must give orders to him and he has to react.
-backward: Adeleine summons a Whispy Woods. It works as a wall, though you can go through it with a dodge. It's behavior is random: occasionally it will blow some air and push characters away (including Adeleine); other times it may shot those air puffs that do some damage (opponents only), or create some apples that work like in that Melee stage. It's useful as an obstacle to slow down opponents and keep them at a distance, but it doens't do much damage by itself. It's about as big as Villager's tree, and it spawns behind Adeleine. It stays on the stage for 10 seconds unless it's damaged enough.
-up: Kracko. It goes above Adeleine and stays in place the whole time. It defends the area with his rotating lightnings and if an opponent walks under it, it will shoot a lightning down or slow down them with some rain (that only stuns, doesn't do any damage). It lasts for 5 seconds like Ice Dragon, and it can be defeated more easily than Whispy.
-down: Magman from Kirby 64. It appears as a small blob of lava crawling on the ground. If an opponent walks on it and the platform is large enough, Magman will come out from the floor, launching the opponent right above himself. That's all what he does, then it disappears... it's basically a trap with fire elemental effect. It lasts 10 for seconds or until someone falls into the trap; can't be defeated.

<left/right>+<B>: Ribbon lifts Adeleine and let her fly a bit; in the meanwhile, Adeleine shoots crystal shards with the crystal gun. Even if you activate this move on land, Adeleine still floats with Ribbon, close to the ground. This move acts similar to Bowser's fire breath, when you use it, then you need to wait until it recharges. You can shoot up to 5 crystals at time, then the move becomes weaker and will let you shoot only 1 crystal at time, until it slowly recharges again. Each crystal shoot will let you fly for 0.5 seconds, so if you shoot all 5 crystals at once, you can fly for 2.5 seconds (though you fly slowly). While flying, you have free control of the movements, you can move Adeleine and Ribbon with the directional input; as the fly time ends, the characters will simply fall. The move has an huge endlag that's canceled once you land on a platform. The fly is not interrupted as long as you chain the crystal shots fast enough, and it preserves the facing (if you shoot the first crystal facing left, all the other crystals will be shoot left too, until the fly is interrupted). The 5 crystals are represented near to the character's icon in the GUI, so you can always see for how long you can fly.

<up>+<B>: Adeleine enters a star portal and the crystal appears. Ribbon flies aboard the crystal for a while, then the crystal transforms itself into the star portal again, and Adeleine comes back. The moment when the star portal appears (both at the beginning and at the end of the move) it has an hitbox, because it summons an orb of light that does some damage in the process. While flying, you can do some damage by ramming into the enemies, though they can hit the crystal as well, and if the crystal is broken, Adeleine will get damage and fly away. This move is inspired by the opening cutscene of Kirby 64 and the scenes of the story when the characters travel from planet to planet using the crystal.

<down>+<B>: Adeleine slams the paintbrush on the ground, generating a wave of paint that carries the opponents away for a while. This move doesn't do much damage, it's useful to keep the opponents at a distance (it works similar to water moves). Though, it gives the paint status to the opponents. If activated in air, Adeleine will freefall with the paintbrush downward until she hits the ground, then the actual move starts; enemies hit by the paintbrush while falling, still get some weak damage. This move is inspired by the minigame Checkerboard Chase from Kirby 64.

<shield> Adeleine holds the palette in front of her.
<dodge> Adeleine's dodge is clumsy. The in-place dodge is regular, while the side dodge is slower and has less invincibility frames than most dodges from other characters. Though it's special: when Adeleine dodges a player, she stuns it the time necessary to deal a simple attack! She basically bumps into the opponent and makes him/her lose balance a bit. If there are no players though, the one who loses balance is Adeleine herself, and the effect is similar to a missed dash grab (inspired by the minigame Bumper Crop Bump from Kirby 64).

<edge climb>: Ribbon helps Adeleine climbing the ledge by pulling her arm.
<edge attack>: Adeleine climbs the ledge, in the meanwhile, Ribbon performs an attack similar to the midair backward attack to clear the space close to the ledge. Ribbon can't be attacked, but Adeleine can.

<final smash>: Adeleine and Ribbon summon the crystal. The crystal shoots a laser just in front of itself; if it misses, it disappears in a fraction of second, but if someone if caught up by the laser, that player will stay stunned for a couple of seconds, getting its health drained by the laser. It does huge damage and leaves the opponent in broken shield status, but it has no knockback, so you must go close to the opponent and hit him with a smash attack in order to kill him. If performed midair, the opponent will first fall to the ground, then stay in broken shield status; if there is no ground, it's a free stock. You can only attack 1 enemy at time with this move, but opponents who move through the laser when another opponent is under the attack, get some % of damage too and are stunned a bit as well (still a weak attack compared to what the target is getting). Use this carefully because opponents can easily steal your kills. This move is inspired by the true ending of Kirby 64.
(I wanted to make this something like, Adeleine draws an awesome boss such as Zero2 or something, rides it through the stage and creates massive destruction, but since Smash Bros Ultimate made the final smashes simpler and removed the transformations, I decided to use the crystal instead).

<up taunt>: a short version of the victory dance: Adeleine dances a bit and at the end she winks.
<left/right taunt>: Adeleine and Ribbon do the high five scene.
<down taunt>Adeleine grabs a sketchbook and does something while Ribbon is watching interested and confused. At the end, Adeleine shows the drawing at the screen, it's a cute drawing of Ribbon, ribbon starts laughing, a bit embarassed. In 1v1 matches, there is a chance that Adeleine will draw a portrait of her opponent instead, and Ribbon will clap happily instead of laughing.

<idle animation 1>Adeleine adjusts her hat and hits her dress with her hands a bit as if she wants to remove some dirt/dust.
<idle animation 2>Ribbon flies around Adeleine a bit, and she follows her with her eyes.
<idle animation 3>Adeleine rubs the paintbrush on the palette to grab some paint, slighty moving the head left and right with a calm and happy expression.

<near edge animation>: Adeleine looks down the ledge. At first she's a bit scared, her hat jumps a bit over her head, then she changes expression and starts looking down with an interested and impressed sight, as if she's amazed by the landscape.

<victory animation 1>The victory dance from Kirby Star Allies
<victory animation 2>Adeleine is on a wooden log, surrounded by the animal friends (including the Dream Land 3 ones) and Gooey. She finishes her drawing, then she shows it to the camera with an happpy face, and the crowd claps at her. The drawing is a group portrait of, indeed, the animal friends and Gooey.
<victory animation 3>It's the picnic scene from Kirby 64, with the exception that Kirby and King Dedede are missing for obvious reasons. Adeleine and a (regular) Waddle Dee eat food (the same food from K64) and Ribbon is in the middle of them, watching (there is other food on the floor, on the picnic cloth). Adeleine jumps up and does a small victory dance (still with the sandwich in hand) and she becomes the focus of the scene, with Ribbon still visible, waving off at the screen.

<lose animation>Adeleine has a sad face, looking down, and Ribbon is near her, trying to comfort her; you can see Ribbon talking but nothing is heard.

Any feedback is very welcome.

Last edited:

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
I doubt Nikki hurts Adeleine's chance honestly... Nikki is an assist trophy, if she was a playable character then maybe, but in this case, Adeleine can still be a newcomer with Nikki as an assist.
I'm more concerned about the Bomber and Kawasaki thing honestly. I noticed that too, but well, let's wait and see.

Anyway, if Adeleine will be neglected and she won't appear as a newcomer nor as an assist, then, as bad as it may look, we can still request her for DLC.

Now, I finally completed the Adeleine & Ribbon moveset. I have absolutely no idea if it can work balance-wise, I wrote it in an hurry, so I don't know.
It includes some ideaas from the moveset I made for the old thread, though I removed the Canvas/Rainbow curse references and replaced them with Ribbon's Crystal.

<entrance>: The crystal from Ripple Star appears from the top of the screen and flies down vertically until it reaches the platform; near the platform, it slows down a bit doing a little bounce back, then it transforms into a star portal, and both Adeleine and Ribbon jump out from it. Just after coming out from the portal, the two character do that pose from the end of their victory dance in Star Allies, and the sound of a crystal shard is played in the background.

Most of Adeleine's moveset unleash paint particles. Paint works like the Inkling's ink, characters who get covered in paint become more vulnerable to physical attacks. Differently from the Inkling's ink, Adeleine's paint is rainbow colored.

<A>: It's Brush Slash from Kirby Star Allies. Adeleine slashes the paintbrush in front of her: at the beginning of the movement, she rubs it on the palette a bit, so it carries all the paint and releases it in the air just the moment after. This move has an hitbox on the paintbrush that launches enemies away doing some additional damage, a large hitbox where the paint is released, that has less throw power than the paintbrush itself but does more damage and covers the enemy with paint, and a small range of paint particles that doesn't damage the enemy but it covers with paint as well.
<A>+<A>+<A>...: Adeleine chains more slashes in different directions, and at the end she just shakes the paintbrush left and right very fast, similar to what she does during her dash attack. This move becomes weaker as you use it, because the paintbrush will run out of paint and if you perform it for long enough, only the paintbrush hitbox will remain active.
<forward>+<A>: Another simple slash, though this time Adeleine does a step forward in the process, extending the range; it's also a bit more vertical, so it also covers 45° above a bit.
<up>+<A>: Adeleine faces at the screen and moves the paintbrush from left to right with an happy face. The animation is made in a way that it resembles that animation from Kirby 64 when she joins Kirby in the adventure, the same move that is also used in her victory dance in Star Allies. During this attack though, she does it a lot faster and with more energy, and she holds the paintbrush a little more above than usual, so that she actually hits enemies who come from above. As usual, paint particles are released with the same structure as before.
<down>+<A>: nothing special, just another slash, this time it's close to the ground and can be performed faster (though it's weaker and has less paint range).
<dash>+<A>: Her iconic despearate attack from the end of her bossfights. It's a bit different from Brush Force in Star Allies: this is the only character with a dash attack that can be charged. The moment you activate it, you can release it to make it start instantly, or you can hold A to charge it and make it faster and more powerful. It's also useful to confuse the enemy and do surprise attacks. When you hold the button, Adeleine does a rage animation, and becomes more angry the more you charge the move. The actual move works similar to Luigi's dash attack, with the difference that it doesn't carry the enemy, it instead makes you bounce back (stunned a bit) when you hit an enemy, and the enemy is launched away; a fully charged dash attack can be quite powerful.

<forward smash>: It's like her forward attack, though it's stronger and releases more paint.
<up smash>: It's like her regular up attack, but stronger. She does a little jump in place to extend the range, and release more paint.
<down smash>: Adeleine rotates in place balancing herself on 1 foot, as if she's dancing. In the process, she draws a circle on the ground. A small amount of paint is released during the move, especially at the beginning (forward) and at the end (backward) when Adeleine stops herself from spinning, doing a dance pose and holding the paintbrush backward. The paint released on the platform will stay on the floor for a limited time, similar to the Inkling.

<midair>+<A>: the second attack of Fairy Dance from Kirby Star Allies; Adeleine and Ribbon dance in air holding their hands and revolving on themselves. The attack is weak, but it does constant damage and stuns; it also lets you float a bit (you fall slowly for a limited time frame).
<midair>+<forward>+<A>: It's still similar to Brush Slash, but in air.
<midair>+<backward>+<A>: Adeleine performs a twirl. In the meanwhile, Ribbon orbits (horizontally, similar to Daroach's Doc summon) around her with a crystal shard in hands (also revolving on herself): when Ribbon moves behind Adeleine, the crystal shard shines in an orb of light, covering Ribbon as well; Ribbon does damage until the light orb around her disappears.
<midair>+<up>+<A>: the first attack of Fairy Dance from Kirby Star Allies; Adeleine holds the paintbrush up, while Ribbon orbits around her, creating wind that makes her jump up a bit. In Smash, the moment when Adeleine slams the paintbrush up does a decent amount of damage, though, after that frame, the damage done is weak; on the other hand, the move still deals the paint effect on opponents.
<midair>+<down>+<A>: Adeleine kicks down with both feet. It's a weak move, but it's very fast and has very little lag.

<grab>: Adeleine "hugs" the opponent blocking him, Ribbon also grabs the opponent from a different angle, trying to stop him as well.
<grab>+<A>: While the opponent is grabbed, Adeleine slams the opponent with her right arm, trying to not release him. Ribbon simply holds the opponent and does nothing else.

All the throws start with Adeleine releasing the grab and drawing something on a canvas (that appears in that moment), while Ribbon launches the opponent up a bit taking some time. When the opponent falls back to the ground, the drawing made by Adeleine is summoned and it will attack the opponent. The canvas then disappears.

<forward throw>: Adeleine summons a Pacto (an oval yellow creature with round eyes and pointed teeth, basically a mix of Pacman and a Chain Chomp from Mario); the Pacto bytes the opponent, then releases him, launching him forward.
<backward throw>: Adeleine summons a Zebon (a semi-transparent blob that works similar to a cannon) that eats the opponent and shoots him backward/down: the opponent bounces on the ground and flies away.
<up throw>: Adeleine summons a Tick (a round white enemy with a red spike on the top and a cute face; when Kirby is above them, they change the cute face to an evil face and the spike becomes a lot longer and more dangerous): the spike hits the grabbed enemy and launches him above.
<down throw>: Adeleine summons an I^3 (a green-ish block with an eye on the side facing at the screen; basically acts like a Twomp from Mario) that falls on the opponent, doing huge damage.

<B>: A canvas appears, and Adeleine draws on it. Midair, the move can't be charged, and instead of the regular canvas, a smaller version of it appears: Ribbon holds it in order to let Adeleine to draw in air. When you draw in air, you fall very slowly and your horizontal movements are canceled (though the drawing times are very short and the move has long endlag so you can't abuse of it). Each summoned small enemy counts as a projectile, and it explodes in paint on impact with a character.

not charged drawing:
by default, Adeleine draws a Waddle Dee on ground, and a Bronto Burt in air.
If you select a direction (up, down, right, left) after activating the move but before Adeleine draws on the canvas, you can select different things (you see the options appearing all around Adeleine, in a similar way as the Monado Arts of Shulk). This only works when you are on land; midair you can only summon a Bronto Burt. By the way, you can only have up to 3 small enemies on the stage at the same time, if you draw a new one, the oldest explodes.
-no direction: Adeleine summons a Waddle Dee: it walks forward. Occasionally it may slow down a bit and do a little jump.
-forward: Adeleine will draw a Batamon: it works like a waddle dee but it runs faster and doesn't jump.
-up: Adeleine will draw a Bronto Burt: if summoned on land, it will fly up first; when it reaches a certain height, it will start flying forward with a wave-like trajectory, going slighty up and down. If summoned midair, it will start with the wave trajectory from the beginning instead.
-down: Adeleine will draw a Bouncy: it will slowly move forward, covering some vertical space as well by bouncing.
-backward: Adeleine summons an item.
if you select backward, you will draw an item instead!
Usually it's food, and it lets you recover a small amount of %, though it can randomly be a different item or even a maxim tomato! There is a limited selection of items that Adeleine can summon, not every item is avaliable. Keep in mind that you must grab the healing items before your opponent steals them to you. If you eat an healing item, the chances to get another one are decreased for a while, and it may happen that you will summon Mr. Saturn a lot of times instead. The item that you will draw is random, though you can see it before summoning it, from the GUI around Adeleine when you activate the move.

charged drawings:
If you charge the move, you can draw a boss! You can have only one boss at time, if you draw a new one, the previous one explodes in paint; summoning a boss also makes any of the small enemies explode as well. All the bosses are smaller than their real versions, they are just a bit bigger than Adeleine, except for Whispy that's a bit bigger maybe.
-no direction: Pon & Con. Pon & con jump out from the canvas and run in two different directions. Who goes left and who goes right is random, and how many of their sons will follow them is also random (0 to 4), though they are very fast and explode as soon as they touch a character or a wall, or recive damage somehow.
-forward: It's Ice Dragon! Adeleine rides it and she can perform the same moves she can do in Kirby Star Allies. Ice Dragon lasts for 5 seconds, then explodes. It can be destroyed with enough damage, and Adeleine can still takes damage while riding it, she only ignores the knockback (only if Ice Dragon survives after the hit). The moves are performed by pressing the directional input and A, while B will make Ice Dragon explode in a cloud of paint instantly. Many features such as shield and grabs don't work while riding Ice Dragon. Ice Dragon's moves are powerful but a bit laggy, since Adeleine must give orders to him and he has to react.
-backward: Adeleine summons a Whispy Woods. It works as a wall, though you can go through it with a dodge. It's behavior is random: occasionally it will blow some air and push characters away (including Adeleine); other times it may shot those air puffs that do some damage (opponents only), or create some apples that work like in that Melee stage. It's useful as an obstacle to slow down opponents and keep them at a distance, but it doens't do much damage by itself. It's about as big as Villager's tree, and it spawns behind Adeleine. It stays on the stage for 10 seconds unless it's damaged enough.
-up: Kracko. It goes above Adeleine and stays in place the whole time. It defends the area with his rotating lightnings and if an opponent walks under it, it will shoot a lightning down or slow down them with some rain (that only stuns, doesn't do any damage). It lasts for 5 seconds like Ice Dragon, and it can be defeated more easily than Whispy.
-down: Magman from Kirby 64. It appears as a small blob of lava crawling on the ground. If an opponent walks on it and the platform is large enough, Magman will come out from the floor, launching the opponent right above himself. That's all what he does, then it disappears... it's basically a trap with fire elemental effect. It lasts 10 for seconds or until someone falls into the trap; can't be defeated.

<left/right>+<B>: Ribbon lifts Adeleine and let her fly a bit; in the meanwhile, Adeleine shoots crystal shards with the crystal gun. Even if you activate this move on land, Adeleine still floats with Ribbon, close to the ground. This move acts similar to Bowser's fire breath, when you use it, then you need to wait until it recharges. You can shoot up to 5 crystals at time, then the move becomes weaker and will let you shoot only 1 crystal at time, until it slowly recharges again. Each crystal shoot will let you fly for 0.5 seconds, so if you shoot all 5 crystals at once, you can fly for 2.5 seconds (though you fly slowly). While flying, you have free control of the movements, you can move Adeleine and Ribbon with the directional input; as the fly time ends, the characters will simply fall. The move has an huge endlag that's canceled once you land on a platform. The fly is not interrupted as long as you chain the crystal shots fast enough, and it preserves the facing (if you shoot the first crystal facing left, all the other crystals will be shoot left too, until the fly is interrupted). The 5 crystals are represented near to the character's icon in the GUI, so you can always see for how long you can fly.

<up>+<B>: Adeleine enters a star portal and the crystal appears. Ribbon flies aboard the crystal for a while, then the crystal transforms itself into the star portal again, and Adeleine comes back. The moment when the star portal appears (both at the beginning and at the end of the move) it has an hitbox, because it summons an orb of light that does some damage in the process. While flying, you can do some damage by ramming into the enemies, though they can hit the crystal as well, and if the crystal is broken, Adeleine will get damage and fly away. This move is inspired by the opening cutscene of Kirby 64 and the scenes of the story when the characters travel from planet to planet using the crystal.

<down>+<B>: Adeleine slams the paintbrush on the ground, generating a wave of paint that carries the opponents away for a while. This move doesn't do much damage, it's useful to keep the opponents at a distance (it works similar to water moves). Though, it gives the paint status to the opponents. If activated in air, Adeleine will freefall with the paintbrush downward until she hits the ground, then the actual move starts; enemies hit by the paintbrush while falling, still get some weak damage. This move is inspired by the minigame Checkerboard Chase from Kirby 64.

<shield> Adeleine holds the palette in front of her.
<dodge> Adeleine's dodge is clumsy. The in-place dodge is regular, while the side dodge is slower and has less invincibility frames than most dodges from other characters. Though it's special: when Adeleine dodges a player, she stuns it the time necessary to deal a simple attack! She basically bumps into the opponent and makes him/her lose balance a bit. If there are no players though, the one who loses balance is Adeleine herself, and the effect is similar to a missed dash grab (inspired by the minigame Bumper Crop Bump from Kirby 64).

<edge climb>: Ribbon helps Adeleine climbing the ledge by pulling her arm.
<edge attack>: Adeleine climbs the ledge, in the meanwhile, Ribbon performs an attack similar to the midair backward attack to clear the space close to the ledge. Ribbon can't be attacked, but Adeleine can.

<final smash>: Adeleine and Ribbon summon the crystal. The crystal shoots a laser just in front of itself; if it misses, it disappears in a fraction of second, but if someone if caught up by the laser, that player will stay stunned for a couple of seconds, getting its health drained by the laser. It does huge damage and leaves the opponent in broken shield status, but it has no knockback, so you must go close to the opponent and hit him with a smash attack in order to kill him. If performed midair, the opponent will first fall to the ground, then stay in broken shield status; if there is no ground, it's a free stock. You can only attack 1 enemy at time with this move, but opponents who move through the laser when another opponent is under the attack, get some % of damage too and are stunned a bit as well (still a weak attack compared to what the target is getting). Use this carefully because opponents can easily steal your kills. This move is inspired by the true ending of Kirby 64.
(I wanted to make this something like, Adeleine draws an awesome boss such as Zero2 or something, rides it through the stage and creates massive destruction, but since Smash Bros Ultimate made the final smashes simpler and removed the transformations, I decided to use the crystal instead).

<up taunt>: a short version of the victory dance: Adeleine dances a bit and at the end she winks.
<left/right taunt>: Adeleine and Ribbon do the high five scene.
<down taunt>Adeleine grabs a sketchbook and does something while Ribbon is watching interested and confused. At the end, Adeleine shows the drawing at the screen, it's a cute drawing of Ribbon, ribbon starts laughing, a bit embarassed. In 1v1 matches, there is a chance that Adeleine will draw a portrait of her opponent instead, and Ribbon will clap happily instead of laughing.

<idle animation 1>Adeleine adjusts her hat and hits her dress with her hands a bit as if she wants to remove some dirt/dust.
<idle animation 2>Ribbon flies around Adeleine a bit, and she follows her with her eyes.
<idle animation 3>Adeleine rubs the paintbrush on the palette to grab some paint, slighty moving the head left and right with a calm and happy expression.

<near edge animation>: Adeleine looks down the ledge. At first she's a bit scared, her hat jumps a bit over her head, then she changes expression and starts looking down with an interested and impressed sight, as if she's amazed by the landscape.

<victory animation 1>The victory dance from Kirby Star Allies
<victory animation 2>Adeleine is on a wooden log, surrounded by the animal friends (including the Dream Land 3 ones) and Gooey. She finishes her drawing, then she shows it to the camera with an happpy face, and the crowd claps at her. The drawing is a group portrait of, indeed, the animal friends and Gooey.
<victory animation 3>It's the picnic scene from Kirby 64, with the exception that Kirby and King Dedede are missing for obvious reasons. Adeleine and a (regular) Waddle Dee eat food (the same food from K64) and Ribbon is in the middle of them, watching (there is other food on the floor, on the picnic cloth). Adeleine jumps up and does a small victory dance (still with the sandwich in hand) and she becomes the focus of the scene, with Ribbon still visible, waving off at the screen.

<lose animation>Adeleine has a sad face, looking down, and Ribbon is near her, trying to comfort her; you can see Ribbon talking but nothing is heard.

Any feedback is very welcome.
This is art Ado herself would be proud of. Hats of to you my dude.
Also, here's a Smash Ultimate icon for Adeleine made by Pakky Pakky on the Newcomer Stock Icons Forum. He along with @KDMP have done some amazing work.
Adeleine Stock Icon.png

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
FooltheFlames FooltheFlames That's very nice, good job!

By the way, I'm working on something too... I'm not sure when I will complete it, but I'm working on a little animation to show the concept of a move.
I decided to modify my Adeleine & Ribbon moveset, though since I'm lazy I think that I won't edit the one that's already in the OP, maybe I'll make a new one if I came up with something worth enough.
Basically, I'm simplifying the canvas special, and I'm putting some paintings in the smash attacks to replace as many generic slash moves as possible.
I'm changing the down smash to Pon & Con (that's what I'm trying to show in the animation), and the summoned bosses (special move) are now remote controlled (Adeleine will hide behind the canvas and you control the boss, though she's not invulnerable, any hit is enough to cancel this move and make the boss disappear). Despite originally being a boss, Pon & Con is not consiered as a boss in this version of the moveset, they are summoned by a smash attack and disappear on collision.

I removed Magman, and Ice Dragon is not a mount anymore. The bosses are only Kracko, Ice Dragon and Whispy Woods, they are all laggy in controls, Whispy can only face left or right but he can't move. They still last for a limited amount of time and can be destroyed by damaging them enough.
If Adeleine is hit or the platform changes and she is not on land anymore, the boss disappears and Adeleine gets some endlag that can be punished. The bosses do some damage but they have low knockback (except Ice Dragon's stomp move).
The player can cancel the bosses at will by pressing B again, while the attacks are performed by A + directional input.
Being a B neutral move, it means that Kirby can copy it!

I'm also considering if it's a good idea or not to leave the easel on the stage and allow anyone (Adeleine included) to grab it and throw it at other players.

I think that allowing Adeleine to remote control the bosses is fitting with the character (because that's how all of her bossfihgts are) and unique, since no other character can do something like this so far, the closest is Rosalina's luma but it's not completely controlled by the player.
Maybe it would be a bit difficult to balance this, but I'm sure it wouldn't be impossible... give low knockback and put a lot of lag, it won't be that hard to dodge all the attacks and reach Adeleine. Also, characters who can throw projectiles would probably make this move very risky.
On a side note, it reminds me of Pitch + Spark in Kirby's Dreamland 3, and that's cool since Adeleine is there to represent the Dark Matter trilogy.

now I fear that this will stay as the last post for a long time and I can't post anymore...

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
If I remember, Adelaine is somewhat popular in japan right?
I don't know how much popular she is, but during the Smash Ballot, according to a poll made by fans to see the most voted characters in Japan, Adeleine was around position 50, slighty above Galacta Knight, and the 3rd Kirby character overall. Maybe she's not the most popular, but she is popular enough IMO.

Anyway, sorry for the late reply, I was finishing this:

adodownsmash.gif

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't know how much popular she is, but during the Smash Ballot, according to a poll made by fans to see the most voted characters in Japan, Adeleine was around position 50, slighty above Galacta Knight, and the 3rd Kirby character overall. Maybe she's not the most popular, but she is popular enough IMO.

That's amazing, did you say you made it? That's some skill and dedication right there in any case.

And I thought I saw a graph with votes that had Adelaine in it, and she wasn't that far in position at all. I can't find it right now though, dunno where I saw it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I saw people on diviant art wanting Adelaine in smash too. I think it runs in the artists XD

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
I saw people on diviant art wanting Adelaine in smash too. I think it runs in the artists XD
You are probably onto something with that! I do some art too, but im nowhere near as good as these guys (the art i keep posting up)
I just feel it in my heart for Adeleine; she's not the best, she's not the most popular, but she keeps on trying her best!

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Oh! I can't possibly take credit for this work... it was done by an artist named IttyBitt im pretty sure~

Those animations you did was nice work tho~
Oh IttyBitt, I already heard of that name... I can't remember where though... probably DA, something Kirby related? Anyway, it's ok!

Thank you!

If that's true, Adeleine actually has a chance... I mean, being in some Japanese charts, heavily requested on Kirby's official Twitter, and now some people on DA who want her... I'm starting to think that she's not that unlikely.

Apparently, Sakurai said during an interview (? I've read this in a comment here on Smashboards so don't quote me on this) that he had no idea that King K Rool was that popular and he was surprised that despite being an old character he still recived a lot of votes, so maybe Adeleine has this factor in her favor too, people voted characters such as Bandana Dee and Magolor, but that was during the Smash Ballot, when Return to Dreamland was the most recent game... as far as I know, Adeleine recived some votes too and has still some fans, despite being a forgotten and old character, so maybe Sakurai will give priority to this.
I think that what happend on Twitter is a bless for Adeleine, the fanbase was so vocal that HAL recognized it and referenced the fanbase in a Switch post, they know that she is requested and has a long-time fandom. All this raises the chances of having her in Smash (this may affect the DLC, since the Twitter thing is very recent and the roster was already decided).

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Apparently, Sakurai said during an interview (? I've read this in a comment here on Smashboards so don't quote me on this) that he had no idea that King K Rool was that popular and he was surprised that despite being an old character he still recived a lot of votes, so maybe Adeleine has this factor in her favor too
I think he said that sort of stuff for Geno, not K.Rool. I don't think we have ever really gotten Sakurai's in depth opinion on K.Rool.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think he said that sort of stuff for Geno, not K.Rool. I don't think we have ever really gotten Sakurai's in depth opinion on K.Rool.
If I remember correctly it was about K.Rool. I think hew knew about Geno because he's been wanting to put him in since Brawl.

I do think the ballot put Adelaine more in the light to be seen by Nintendo though, and I do think Japan probably voted a good number for her.
If it were up to me, I would add a LOT more kirby stuff and characters in the game, and I wish Sakurai would have bit more favoritism for his beloved Kirby series lol.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Oh sorry, I did some research and I found out that what I read was speculation (or whatever you want to call it), not an interview.
It was this thread and it was about K Rool, but again, I was confused, it's just a speculation of how King K Rool made it in Smash thanks to the fans.

Sakurai made some comments about Geno though, but Geno is still not in the game yet... hopefully he will, but while he's not in, we can't use him as an example (though he got that custume so...).

Last edited:
Top Bottom