• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Addressing Controller Passing Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunchaser007

Smash Journeyman
Is it ok to hand your controller to your teammate in a teams match during tournament if a person is brought down to a 2v1 situation?

One night a group of friends and I are playing some team friendlies and somebody hands their controller to they're teammate because he's very good in 2v1 situations. After doing so they win the match and an argument starts about the question above. I have talked to a few pros about this situation and there have been mixed opinions on this subject. I'll tell you my point of view and I'd like the people on the forums to put in their opinions as well. In my opinion this is a subject that need a rule set.

In my opinion I believe that controller passing should be legal because it's a team effort. You have 2 players, controllers, and characters per team and the person you are handing off to is a part of that team. I know that if i were in a finals match where $400 was on the line and I was put in a 2v1 situation and I wasn't quite comfortable /w the matchup but my teammate was then I might be inclined to hand off the controller.

::Debate Started::

spike9407

Smash Apprentice
I personally don't think you should be allowed to. Mainly because it is the person who was playing that should be playing. I doubt they woul allow it.

Spot

Smash Cadet
Well, I wouldn't just forbid it, but I don't think it's a very good idea. It seems more fun if each player keeps their own controller. I don't have any real reasons for why I think that, so I guess it's best left to a vote.

PrinceZane

INNsomniac
BRoomer
Someone asked me about this. I didn't know there was a topic. Here's a copy of the conversation with my point of view. It's a bit long. Sorry...

*Edited* : zane, i have a question that needs to be cleared up
*Edited* : zane?
PrinceZane : sup
*Edited* : ok, a person dies and leaves his teammate in teams having to deal /w a 2v1 situation. Teammate 1 is better /w said character.....can teammate 2 hand off his controller to teammate 1 in that situation?
PrinceZane : no
*Edited* : it's not in the rules tho
*Edited* : no rule has ever been made against it
*Edited* : ever
PrinceZane : Yes it is
*Edited* : can you show me?
PrinceZane : It's called choosing a character :p
PrinceZane : Check out this scenario
PrinceZane : Me and you are in a 1v1
PrinceZane : I get up 2 stock vs 1 stock... can i pause, reset, change chars, we both sd to get the same stock count, and start the match again?
*Edited* : different situation
PrinceZane : No its not
PrinceZane : How is that different
PrinceZane : from 2 people picking the same char
*Edited* : b/c it's "teams"
PrinceZane : 1 person hides as a life counter
*Edited* : he's part of your team
PrinceZane : and then they just swap controllers when he dies
PrinceZane : basically giving someone 8 stock vs 2 4 stocks
PrinceZane : It's not a written rule, you're right...
*Edited* : it's a different situation entirely b/c it's not a 2v1.....this is where i'm coming from. It's called teams....2 people who are trying to achieve 1 goal. I don't understand why you wouldnt be able to hand off in the 2v1 situation
PrinceZane : Because the definition of teams is 2 people with separate entities cooperating for a common goal
PrinceZane : Now if teams had 8 total stock, and you shared life count
PrinceZane : then maybe you could do that
*Edited* : well you do share 8 stocks......you can steal lives
PrinceZane : you can't steal the last life
PrinceZane : which makes them independant
PrinceZane : rules are generally "all or nothing"
PrinceZane : if you could share all 8 lives, then yes, it might be considered
PrinceZane : but really, each character has 1 life a piece, with a pool of 6 lives
*Edited* : i think a rule needs to be set
*Edited* : it's a grey area in the game
PrinceZane : Honestly, it is... but I dont think many people even consider the option to make it very gray
PrinceZane : i would be very surprised if even 1/3 of the people said yes

If anyone needs elaboration, let me know

Uck

Smash Journeyman
For tournament play its already banned.There something called character selection.
When doing friendlies I would just say that its bad sportsmanship and laugh at the player for sucking so bad that he had to hand over his controller to his partner to try and win.Which I found odd that he did that because afterall its just a game.

If you do a tournament at home using MLG rules then it would be illegal.

blaargh198

Smash Apprentice
What about switching controllers during a match? Say you play marth, your partner plays fox, you switch controllers after a kill to try messing them up with your new characters? I would assume that would also be illegal, but since it's still 2 sets of 4 stocks per team instead of one guy with 8 stocks I wasn't sure.

180OP

Smash Journeyman
I guess it would be funny if it was done in friendlies like once, like a random moment.

tournament, it should not be allowed and probably is not. You pick your character and that's that.

It has never been done and never will be. Unless you attend those noob tourneys that play with items. check out UWgamers tourneys on youtube. too funny.

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
well what really happened was i was the 1 in the 2v1 and i beat the better player. as the strategy that was the best thing for me to do. get rid of the better player then pick apart the worse player. so i get rid of the better player and the he says "give me your controller" WTF. i beat him and put him out cause he was obviously a better player. they also played the same char so it was no different. Team effort my ***. thats Unethical cheating.

A) should be banned in tournaments and made as a actual rule cause if that ever happens to me in a tourney i will probobly kick someone ***.
B) its incredibly unethical. if you are lame enough not to be able to beat me 2v1 the just get the heck on.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Why not pass your controller to someone better than you for 1v1's too? YOU are playing, Teams or not. Your teammate has been defeated, which means, he's out of the game. He can't help anymore.

cowboyardee

Smash Journeyman
For friendlies, obviously, whatever -- do what you want.

But if, like you said, there's $400 dollars on the line, if an opp team tried this type of ****, there's gonna be major problems.

Cheating with money on the line = playing with fire
&
handing your controller to your teammate in a 2 v 1 = cheating shamelessly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom