• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Addiction, Withdrawal and the Inherent Curse of Threes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
chiaro said:
Ugh, this topic is so depressing...
well, just add some SALSA. :colorful: :rotfl: :estatic: :colorful: :demon: :colorful: :estatic: :rotfl: :colorful:

Zapdos275 said:
Weed:
Pros_
Getting high makes you: interesting, more social...
Well, I have my own theory about that. I kind of think that it makes a person more intensely themselves for a short time. As I am a nervous, akward creature, it made me more nervous and akward, but also brought out my creative side more strongly...and I'm not sure but i think it might enhance human telepathy...possibly.

But maybe it's all psychological, as in, if you THINK it will make you more sociable, then it will. For me, I didn't believe it would, and so, it didn't.

Anyway...on topic, I'm now telling myself i should quit caffiene so as to get rid of those dark circles under my eyes, but...Well I've had a pot of coffee and two Dr. Peppers today...you get my point.

Tipo mastr

Smash Lord
telling people that my name is pronouced "Typ
Look, you guys are trying to prove a point you can't prove. We are talking about marijuana. An illegal drug. Smoking it is against the law. My last words on this topic are these: It's not worth it! Your life would be a lot more interesting and a lot less depressing if you just didn't bother with drugs in the first place.

Oh and cyris_P, good luck w/ the drug problems.

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
A crummy world of plot holes and spelling errors
Tipo mastr said:
Look, you guys are trying to prove a point you can't prove. We are talking about marijuana. An illegal drug. Smoking it is against the law. My last words on this topic are these: It's not worth it! Your life would be a lot more interesting and a lot less depressing if you just didn't bother with drugs in the first place.

Are you saying that you never plan on doing anything illegal in your life? Have some fun college years dude. Doing marijuana once will not make you an addict and ruin your life. It's kind of like alcohol, it's good in moderation, but if you do it too much you become a moron. However you will only be told about the people who ruined their lives with it and think that that's what happens right away. Weed can help make a boring day more interesting. I'm not saying that you need to do it all the time to keep interest in life but once in a while it's a fun thing to do.

By the way, do you live under a rock? "Well, I don't know who the hell bob marley is, so there." God ****.

Cyris_P

Smash Journeyman
So can sweetener, food, exhaust, water, sun, lack of sun, and random unfortunateness to boot. (Among others...)

Jim Morrison and Hendrix did a lot of durgs too, and they got death for it. But not every man would scream out "Mama! I wanna F*** you!!" or light their guitar on fire and trip out to the euphoric aura in the middle of a set.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Marley died of brain cancer. That's not typically caused by smoking but hereditary.

I find it really hard to believe you never heard of Bob Marley. I heard of Marley when I was 7, that would made you 2 and plenty newer movies have had his songs.

Also, sure weed is illegal, but I abused legal drugs for a long time. You can laugh, but the combinations of Nyquil and Sudafed or Benedryl is pretty heavy. I recall even doing codin a few times and I don't drink. Sure, Cyris needs support when kicking the habit, but don't get on us about how weed is all bad. I've known tons of smart people who smoked weed, nothing terminal with them.

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
I drank Diet Dr Pepper for ages, one a day (sometimes two). I finally decided to give it up since the caffiene wasn't needed, and espartame is, as far as I'm concerned, as bad as real sugar is for you. Sure, it won't make you fat, but there's nothing natural about it at all, and it's just flat out not healthy.
Luckily, when I quit, I didn't feel withdrawl at all really. I wasn't even more tired than I was when I was drinking them (caffiene doesn't effect me much). I'm starting to drink green tea instead - it's actually really beneficial to your health.

As far as drugs go, I'm just going to avoid them. Not because I think they're evil or something... I just don't want to be addicted to anything, thanks. I'll never smoke just because people who smoke near me piss me off. I loathe the smell of smoke. Both of grandmpas died before I was born because of smoking too, so that's motivation enough for me.

Most stuff like drugs and smoking really only make you feel better for the first couple of times - after that, you just do them so you can be normal again. Yay for withdrawl.

I prefer to become happy or relaxed on my own... I don't want to use drugs or smoking to do it when they have blatant side effects.

Oh, and alcohol is fine with me as long as it's used responsibly. I think it's just dumb and stupid to go waste yourself and be puking all over and have a hangover in the morning, and driving drunk is down right wrong. However, having a glass or two of wine a day, or having a beer, or even a shot or two of vodka or rum or something is fine by me. Just be responsible with your alcohol intake...

Tipo mastr

Smash Lord
Eric_The_Red said:
Also, sure weed is illegal, but I abused legal drugs for a long time.
Hmm... have you realized that abusing legal drugs is illegal? legal drugs are those that are not shown to harm your body THAT much when used in moderation.

Eric_The_Red said:
I find it really hard to believe you never heard of Bob Marley
First of all, I am not what you would call culturally "educated" I have no TV service, so I wouldn't know anything you might have seen on TV. I also do not listen to "modern" music. As far as culture goes, I'm not involved, and never want to be.

Furthermore, I hate the smell of alcohol. My mom even offered me wine one, and I refused because it smelled so bad. I also absolutely abhor the scent of tobbaco smoke. Mind you, certain types of smoke do smell kinda good, but not enough to inhale in a regualar basis.

Tipo mastr

Smash Lord
I am not culturally"educated" because I don't want to be. And, I think it was a good decision to not get us TV service. (we can't get free service b/c we live in a valley. the only way we could watch TV would be cable, and when I was very young, my parents didn't have enough money to get TV. Now we could, but now my mom doesn't want to get it because of the **** on TV these days). I read, play video games, go on the computer, I have a hobby, and mostly I think I am pretty satisfied with my life. TV would probably change my life for the worse.

And, incidentally, TV is one of those things that makes kids want to try drugs.

Oh, I forgot to comment on something:

Are you saying that you never plan on doing anything illegal in your life?
I may end up doing things illegal when I grown up, but they certainly won't be for destroying my body. What is there to gain from marijuana? NOTHING!

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
Bud, there's a reason people are arguing with you and not JMY (who is also against drugs). It's because you are acting like you're better than us and we should follow what you say. You talk down to us. You, having no experience with Marijuana, do not know whether or not it will ruin our lives. You've only been told about the marijuana addicts in the so-called "Truth" commercials. They don't say anything about the moderates. You say that pot impairs your decision-making skills, well so does alcohol and that's legal.

As for it not being legal, it could be because people can grow it easily. The government is swayed (run?) by lobbyists (such as BIG TOBACCO OH NO) who would not have anything to gain if people could easily grow marijuana. If there was no way for the average American to grow it, I bet that Big Tobacco would be all over the government for it to be legalized. Money makes the world go round.

Bahamut

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Bahamut3585
Oy vey. There are some poorly educated people out there. For their sake, and for your viewing pleasure, may I present:

A brief history of Bob Marley

Robert Nesta Marley was born on February 6, 1945, to an 18 year old Jamaican woman and a 50 year old white British quartermaster. Raised by his mother, he moved to Kingston, Jamaica in his late teens, settling in the slums. He was fascinated by the music he could pick up on American radio stations. Bob quit school and began his career in music, getting involved with a number of smalltime bands and gigs. Eventually he would marry and form his own group, "The Wailers"

Bob Marley, early years

Bob Marley focused much of his music on Rastafarianism (read up on the religion of Rastafari <----there), centering his lyrics on the themes of spirituality and social acceptance. Bob Marley and The Wailers eventually moved to London and cut their first internationally-sold reggae record, 'Catch a Fire.' From there he would make many more records, and would eventually become the most famous Jamaican artist to date.

At one time, a ghetto war went through Marley's house, and Marley was wounded in the gunfire. Rather than cancel his appearance, Marley played his scheduled concert set the very next day.

One of Bob Marley's many records

Bob Marley and the Wailers won international acclaim as they continued to tour the globe. However, shortly after an American tour with Stevie Wonder began, Bob Marley became seriously ill. Three years earlier, in London, Bob hurt a toe while playing football. The wound had become cancerous and was belatedly treated in Miami, yet it continued to fester. By 1980 the cancer, in its most virulent form, had begun to spread through Marley's body.

He fought the disease for eight months, until losing the battle on May 11, 1981. Marley was given an official funeral by the Prime Minister and people of Jamaica, and his body rests in a mausoleum in his birthplace of Nine Hills.

(Source) Read that site for all your Bob Marley needs.

The website fails to mention that Marley, along with the majority of Jamaicans, was an avid user of marijuana. However his messages of equality and pacifism still remain the same, and his music, indeed the genre of reggae that he popularized, lives on today.

Tipo mastr

Smash Lord
telling people that my name is pronouced &quot;Typ
I didn't gain any insights from that article you wrote. Except that Bob Marley himself smoked pot. And that rastafari wbepage didn't load. But honestly, I really doubt that more than 25% of americans know of that religon.

And okay, I do admit I was being a bit condecending(SP?).

Edit: Okay, I got it to load, but that little part on marijuana being the "wisdomweed" has been disproved, hasn't it?

Bahamut

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Bahamut3585
See, Tipo, what you need to do is absorb some of Marley's wisdom about acceptance. It's not like these people are smoking immediately around you, and it's not like their actions are hurting you in any real way, so why not just let them be?

Cyris_P

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I'm gettin a little pissed off at all this naivety. Isn't there some way to ban Tipo from this thread?

I probably know more about the pain of pregnancy than he does about stimulating substances...

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Tipo, if you are joking, then cut it out. Seriously, there is no way you can think a RASTAFARIAN IS A RELIGION OF SOME SORT!

It's people from Jamiaca or people who dress like that. Bob Marley is the most well-known musician after Clapton and the rockers. That's crazy, stupid if you NEVER heard of him.

Bahamut

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Bahamut3585
The Beatles, Elvis Presley, and Michael Jackson are more widely known, as far as record sales go . . . but yeah, get culturally educated and obtain (in your own way) some Marley.

BTW I forgot about Marley II: Ziggy Marley. Yeah, he's not bad either.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I'd rather conform than be completely stupid to anything current.

That's foolish thinking to believe that not being cultured is a good thing.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
'Course I've heard of him, I'm just saying it's irrational to be attacking someone under the premise that they don't care about what's considered popular. At that point you're attacking someone for not liking what a lot of other people like/think other people should like. In the end, you have everyone thinking the same thing for no reason other than disagreeing makes you shunned.

Just saying, I'd rather learn things that actually matter (or even genuinely interest me) than force myself to keep up with all the hilarity of Chappelle's Show and who just got booted off American Idol.

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
Good for you, man, do what you want to do. No one is telling you to scream "I'm Rick James, *****!" It's just that he talks down to us, and acts like if he doesn't know it, no one does. Most people have heard of Bob Marley. Not all of them care about him or his music. Most people have heard of Rastarianism. Not all of them know what it's about. He has heard of neither, and therefore thinks that no one else does. I admit that I've been less than fair to him because of his knowledge of pop culture. But hey, I'm not a perfect person. I can be a prick, I know it. What angers me most though is that he's been very condescending. (which he has admitted. Kudos to you man) He has no experience with marijuana but thinks he knows all the facts.

Tipo, we disagree on the subject of marijuana and I don't think anyone will be able to sway you. Good for you, it's your choice to avoid it. Weed does have its cons and if you think they outweigh the pros, stay away. You are entitled to your opinion and you can make your own choices. But please, do not say that it will ruin your life if you have never tried it. As with alcohol, you can be a moderate marijuana user. It can only ruin your life if you use it too much.

Tipo mastr

Smash Lord
Look, as for the culture things, I was literally born to be the nerdiest of the nerds. I don't know or care much about anything culture wise. And forgive me for saying this, but frankly, there's nothing you guys can do about it. I was born to hate pop culture.

And Ocso, your right. I should just let you learn from your mistakes. If you smoke pot, its your body thats being destroyed and I don't and shouldn't have anything to do with that. I you enjoy smoking pot or doing other drugs, well, do it at your own risk.

And lastly, a shout out to Cyris_P and all people trying to quit smoking or drinking or whatnot.

Cyris_P

Smash Journeyman
Culture is so rampant and widespread that you'd have to live in a box under a rock in a cave on Mars not to be a part of it. And there's no way that culture is the doorway to conformity. In fact, it's quite the opposite.

Take Video games for example, Smash Bros particularly. This game is so unique in that players craft custom combos depending on how they play and whom they play. This customizability makes Smash Bros a medium for not only experiencing art, but creating it as well. Then there’s all of us who play it, love it, and make it part of our lifestyle; that’s culture right there. Furthermore, we’ve all come together to not only discuss this game, but every aspect of life outside this game. We are a culture of culturists.

Then there’s the fact that smashers are a vast minority, so playing this game hardly leads to conformity. Also, this game is one of millions of cultures that exist in the world, each of which has a general rule where the more you learn about it, the deeper it becomes, and the more independent you become as a result.

And Tipo, being a nerd is no excuse for ignorance. Every one of us on this site has love for a mixture of games, movies, computers, music, literature and many other things that fall under the classic definition of a nerd. Therefore, culture is almost a pre-requisite for nerdiness, you just haven’t realized it yet.

Anyways, all of this leads to my next point (and getting back on topic), which is the tendency to become addicted to lifestyle. Think of one thing you love and do a lot of the time, then ask yourself this: Could you live without it?

It's not just substances like booze, drugs, coffee, food, etc that are addictive. Many people also become addicted to daily events. Examples of this from my own life are television, video games, movies, and SmashBoards ;-)

This also raises other questions like: Which form of addiction is unhealthier? And which one is harder to quit?

Tipo mastr

Smash Lord
Cyris_P, you have made some great points there. The culture I was talking about was pop culture. And I believe Bob marley belongs to the pop culture, no? I just don't care about it. Now, yes I belong to the smash culture, and a culture that is even more of a minority.(see artwork emporium).

Now I think that booze and drugs are more dangerous, but certain lifestyles are dangerous. For instance, if you like to drive at excess of 100 mph, and are addicted to driving fast, yeah, soon you will crash and possibly die. It all depends what type of thing you are talking about. sure, smoking is dangerous, but skydiving is more dangerous. And in the same way, smoking is more dangerous than holeing up in a box under a rock in a cave on mars and reading for the rest of your life. :)

Vinnie275

Smash Master
Xdadepsak's Closet, along with Ender, Mkiller, and
Cyris_P said:
This also raises other questions like: Which form of addiction is unhealthier? And which one is harder to quit?
My old roommate stills owes me 474 US dollars in back rent that he spent about 25% on cigarettes and 60% on weed.

Nevertheless he'd share them both with me, weed willingly, cigarettes un-willingly. I enjoyed getting stoned and forgetting about all the **** heads I had to deal with that day. I didn't like waking up all night coughing up flem from second hand cigarette smoke.

So weed costs a lot of money, you should only spend a little money on it and smoke only so you don't piss off people that are trying to talk to you seriously.

Cigarettes are verily obviously harder to quit. I don't think I have to explain myself for that point.

I'd rather have cigarettes illegal and weed legal. Almost every person I know that smokes weed and grits agrees.
If cigarettes were outlawed, it'd probably help a moderate number of people quit over time.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Well, Marley is now a part of pop culture, through no fault of his own, but by the stupid teenagers who use his picture as a message for SMOKIN WEED LOLOLOL 420, rather than what he was really all about, which was the art and message (I think so, at least.)

Exovel

Smash Ace
Not to jump into this arguement, but notice that Zapdos said that he'd rather it happen, he never said it would.

Also, not to continue this assault of personalities, but here's my two cents. I don't smoke, drink, or do drugs. It's not my thing, but I know plenty of people that do them all (mostly co-workers). The point is, I'm surrounded by these things and still I don't talk down or be-little them for it... I just don't think it's right. Disagreement is one thing, being a **** about it is another. Doing drugs doesn't make you a terrible person, and doing it once doesn't make you a stoner. Also, as everyone else has said, drugs in moderation may not be great for your body... but it isn't an automatic death sentence either. Just be willing to accept the fact that some people do things you don't agree with. I have never tried smoking, drinking, or drugs (and never plan too, becuase I completely disagree with it)... but I'm not going to crucify those that have.

As for your "I hate pop-culture" bit, Tipo.... notice the fact that your on a computer, using the internet, talking about videogames. This is all pop-culture. Your more involved in culture than you understand. It's around you always, there's no hiding from it.

Lastly Cyris_P, good luck. I really mean it. I've seen so many more people fail than succeed. Those that fail keeping wishing they could quit, cursing their addiction. Those that succeed become a much better person as a result. I give you my best.

Tipo mastr

Smash Lord
Okay, let me rephrase my point. I don't do things most other people do, like listen to modern artists, or play grand theft auto. In otherwords, I'm not "cool".

I have already apologized for being condesending. I am sorry to offend anyone who may have been. There is no need for further attacking.

DarkRoom

Smash Ace
Zapdos275 said:
Cons_
****ING POLICE. **** POLICE. *******S.
**** police.
Po-po.
The fuzz.
I hate cops.
Parents might kill you
A lot of people look down on it (squares).

Booze_
Pros: Get laid!
Cons: There is none! Go get some taco!
ROFLROFLROFLROFLMAO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom