• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

About tilts..

Skink

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I'm new here. Was just wondering about the proper way to execute a tilt. Usually whenever I try I end up doing a smash attack, and the only really reliable way I've found to do it is to take a step forward first, and that kind of defeats the purpose. Do y'all have any recommendations on this? Like the proper imprecise timing necessary to use a tilt?

Skink

Smash Apprentice
Ah sorry, there's so much overlap in content in the many boards that I wasn't really sure where to put this.

Rh1thmz

Smash Journeyman
I used to have this problem way back when. What I do to execute tilts is use this philosophy:

Tilt = "tilt" the control stick about half way over in the desired direction + A (except for d tilt, which would be where you just smash down on the stick to duck and then press A)

Smash= "smash" the control stick all the way over in the desired direction + A

Hopefully, that will help.

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
The easiest way to get in the habit of tilting vs smashing is to not move the control stick all the way over. Go into practice mode with Sheik and practice Ftilt juggles. It will help you break the habit of smashing it.

Tilt-sticking is also a very good alternative, as MenoUnderwater pointed out

Barge

All I want is a custom title
its just like walking, walk left/right + a, walk distance on control "up" and press A for utilt

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
Tilts can be done with the joystick not pressed the whole way, or if you've already "buffered" the joystick into a certain direction with some previous movement or attack and you are holding it there.

Practice doing tilts by not moving the joystick all the way to the end of its range for each direction you tilt in. For down tilts, just duck first then hit A. Tilt-sticking may seem like a good idea but not everyone is going to have your setup saved on their Wii. Get used to playing tilts in the default controller setup.

I assume you're on GC controller?

Peeze

Smash Master
Its understandable to find it difficult to tilt, since your goin hard the whole game, then to tone down your finger mashing to tilt.
Like Meno said tilt stick, which is the easiest(cheapest?) alternative.
Or just practice, that way in places where you cant change the controller layout your good to go like taco bell.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Just to add something, tilt-stick makes jab canceling a breeze since you can just hold down crouch while jabbing with the c-stick.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
LOL!!! Seriously though, if you use a character who lives off jab canceling you might want to consider using the tilt-stick.

Everence

Smash Apprentice
tilt sticking is good, but i found that when i wanted to do a up-tilt in succession, it'd sometimes cause me to jump. after picking up snake i've found tilting a lot more easier without tilt sticking.

Top Bottom