• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

about the newcomers if they are locked or initial?

katanagash

Smash Apprentice
I'm not very certain if the new characters announced are available from the beginning or if they have to be unlocked somehow. Right now these fighters I am positive are available from the start:

Pit
Meta Knight
Zero Suit Samus(by final smash)
Wario
Snake
Diddy Kong
Ike

The other people so far I suspect might be hidden. I have also included a reason to why I think so(but I could be wrong)

Pokemon Trainer(because of his unique 3 fighters as 1 quality)
Lucas(since he probably rivals Ness' ability)

EPX2

Smash Ace
Zelda and the Ice Climbers were two of the most unique characters in Melee, and they were starters. I'm fairly certain that every single character who's been revealed thus far, excluding Snake, is a default one. It wouldn't make much sense for Sakurai to reveal the secret characters before the game is out.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
It wouldn't make much sense for Sakurai to reveal the secret characters before the game is out.
you mean like every single other fighting game in existance?

really, it would be a lot better if sakurai just revealed the entire roster before the game came out. its not like we're not going to be spoiled by the strategy guides and the japanese players anyway.

EPX2

Smash Ace
you mean like every single other fighting game in existance?

really, it would be a lot better if sakurai just revealed the entire roster before the game came out. its not like we're not going to be spoiled by the strategy guides and the japanese players anyway.
lol @ you making vast generalizations

You personally not caring about finding out the entire roster before the game's out =/= everyone feeling the same way. Why would Sakurai reveal the entire roster this long before the game's release? Can you imagine how much less of a surprise factor Mr. G&W would've had if we found out about him two months before Melee was released?

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Well I believe Snake's been confirmed to be an unlockable, but the recent slew of Snake updates might mean something or it could just mean that Kojima and Konami are done working on their part of Brawl and are showing off what they did :p

tirkaro

Smash Champion
lol @ you making vast generalizations

You personally not caring about finding out the entire roster before the game's out =/= everyone feeling the same way. Why would Sakurai reveal the entire roster this long before the game's release? Can you imagine how much less of a surprise factor Mr. G&W would've had if we found out about him two months before Melee was released?
even if my opinions cant change everything, I still ask, whats the big deal? you'll be just as surprised seeing the character on the site as you will unlocking them. I seriously dont understand people who want to be "surprised". you're basically going to ruin the convinience of knowing the entire roster so that you can be surprised for a couple of minutes? wtf?
seriously, smash is the only fighting game that keeps thier characters so annoyingly secretive, and its people like you who are part of the problem. if you dont want to be spoiled, just dont go on the site.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Snake is known for certain to be an unlockable - Sakurai mentioned in his journal that it was only appropriate for him and all other 3rd-party "guest" characters to be such. The others we simply don't have so much as a clue about. They might be starters, they might be unlockable; we have no way of knowing. Personally, I'd expect more veterans and fewer newcomers on the starting roster, so I'd speculate at least some of the newcomers are unlockable, but theres no more factual basis for that than for any other speculation on the matter.

Zevox

EPX2

Smash Ace
even if my opinions cant change everything, I still ask, whats the big deal? you'll be just as surprised seeing the character on the site as you will unlocking them. I seriously dont understand people who want to be "surprised". you're basically going to ruin the convinience of knowing the entire roster so that you can be surprised for a couple of minutes? wtf?
seriously, smash is the only fighting game that keeps thier characters so annoyingly secretive, and its people like you who are part of the problem. if you dont want to be spoiled, just dont go on the site.
People like me? What in the eff are you talking about? I couldn't care less about finding out the entire roster before the game is released, so please cut out your ridiculous assumptions, as I've not, in any way, even suggested otherwise. I'm not the type of person who's bothered by things like that. I'm merely saying that it'd make no sense for the entire roster to be released before the game is.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
People like me? What in the eff are you talking about? I couldn't care less about finding out the entire roster before the game is released, so please cut out your ridiculous assumptions, as I've not, in any way, even suggested otherwise. I'm not the type of person who's bothered by things like that. I'm merely saying that it'd make no sense for the entire roster to be released before the game is.
sorry, your post made it seem you were like that.
but I personally believe it would make more sense to reveal the entire roster before the game. most other fighting games do that, and sakurai said himself that he would like to reveal the entire roster himself because all the game's secrets will be revealed once the game hits japan.

GimmeAnFSharp

Smash Journeyman
Meta Knight, Pit, and PT are all on the box, so I think it's safe to assume they're starters.

Also, Tirkaro is right. Sakurai said he'd rather reveal the characters himself in a professional manner rather than have all the characters spoiled by a fan who got the game early a week before the actual release date.

burrito

Smash Lord
Snake is known for certain to be an unlockable - Sakurai mentioned in his journal that it was only appropriate for him and all other 3rd-party "guest" characters to be such.
Sakurai did say something along those lines, but he didn't say that Snake would definitely be an unlockable character, I think he has probably changed his mind since then. Snake could be a starter character, and I think he is.

EPX2

Smash Ace
Yes, you're correct in saying that Sakurai said he'd like to reveal the characters himself... however, he gave no indications as to when he'd go about doing this. I just cannot see why he'd reveal any secret characters, aside from Snake (who was revealed for a specific purpose), when there's still two months to go before the game is released.

GimmeAnFSharp

Smash Journeyman
Yes, you're correct in saying that Sakurai said he'd like to reveal the characters himself... however, he gave no indications as to when he'd go about doing this. I just cannot see why he'd reveal any secret characters, aside from Snake (who was revealed for a specific purpose), when there's still two months to go before the game is released.
I can agree with you that he'd get all the starters out of the way before he starts introducing hidden characters. But I think it's safe to assume he'll reveal at least a few hidden characters (probably returners, at the very least) before the game's release date. I'm sure he might leave out the the most secret of characters out until post-release in the hopes that by some chance no one reveals them to the world beforehand.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
Meta Knight, Pit, and PT are all on the box, so I think it's safe to assume they're starters.

Also, Tirkaro is right. Sakurai said he'd rather reveal the characters himself in a professional manner rather than have all the characters spoiled by a fan who got the game early a week before the actual release date.
I don't beleive the final box art has been revealed yet. Anyway I think that all characters that represent their own franchise, excluding 3rd party characters, will be starters. So, for example Pit and Lucas who represent their own franchises and will likely be the only ones from their games will be starters, whereas characters like Pokemon Trainer and Metaknight who's franchises would already be represented, and would be unlockable, you know what I mean?

EPX2

Smash Ace
I can agree with you that he'd get all the starters out of the way before he starts introducing hidden characters. But I think it's safe to assume he'll reveal at least a few hidden characters (probably returners, at the very least) before the game's release date. I'm sure he might leave out the the most secret of characters out until post-release in the hopes that by some chance no one reveals them to the world beforehand.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I think. All of the starters would likely be revealed before he goes and starts revealing those that must be unlocked. Seeing as how there's still a few veterans that are obviously returning but have yet to be confirmed (Captain Falcon, especially), I just can't see any of the already-announced characters being unlocable - aside from Snake.

Saku

Smash Cadet
Reasons as to why Sakurai would be crazy enough to release information about characters other than immediate playables:
1) He's Sakurai.
2) He wants to be the first to crack the egg.
3) Because there's not much else that's interesting to talk about.
4) To raise hype, by introducing certain characters (especially the 3rd party characters, which I'm absolutely sure he'll reveal before the game's release no matter what).
5) Because he's Sakurai.

Important reasons as to why Sakurai'd do it:
1) Because he's Sakurai.

Anyway, so far the only unlockable seems to be Snake, with Metaknight and Ike possibly joining him.

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
The currently revealed characters with the exception of Snake are probably starters, with Captain Falcon probably being the only unrevealed starter left, everyone else revealed will more than likely be unlockable
but Sakurai does have a way of making sure everyone is wrong about everything

Top Bottom