• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

About Dox's approachs..

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
What do most Doc players use? I never really watch any doc players..though I have played Cavemans and a few others not really worthy of mention but I usually Shffl an Uair into a Dsmash...I almost never get shieldgrabbed and it seems like a really good approach to me especially while pill rushing. I see other doc players though go in with nairs or they wil just jub or try and get a grab in after a pill or something like that so just wondering what most people do. Oh and I am not really a Doc player I use him in friendlys only not tournys...though he is probably my 4th or 5th best character.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
My main approach varies. When playing my brother, I approach with shuffled n-airs because I know I can cancel into a spotdodge downsmash... and I don't really try against him until he really aggravates me.

When playing Marths my approach is spamming pills while working my way back and forth. Then at some point of my approach I just full pill-->waveshield and grab.

Against some people I just dashdance, wavedash, and throw pills and then just n-air through/over them and then immediately start b-air-ing.

Qualifying Statements: I'm not sure how good I am
--------------------------I only play the same 6 people over and over, and 3 of them are much lower skilled than I am. This leads to being sloppy.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
mmmk. Where are all the doc players?

Dyse

Smash Journeyman
Doc player in the house!!!

This is fun and quite effective: do a stalled dash dance away from your opponent, then as fast as you can, wavedash backwards to a bair. The stall will keep them at ease, so the quite turnaround wavedash will catch them completely off guard. Fun? indeed.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Doc player in the house!!!

This is fun and quite effective: do a stalled dash dance away from your opponent, then as fast as you can, wavedash backwards to a bair. The stall will keep them at ease, so the quite turnaround wavedash will catch them completely off guard. Fun? indeed.
Wow um no...Yeah that is a good approach and then maybe you can even SHBWL but your reasonings are wrong...no good player will be at ease when you are dash dancing AT ALL..why would they be? They would have to be horrible...When someone is dashdancing you don't know what they are going to do and should always be on guard.

And want to MM at EVO? If I didn't already MM you I mean lol. How about a Doc ditto then..My 5th best vs your main? Or you could MM one of these characters if you don't want to Doc ditto: Fox, Samus, Marth, Falco, Shiek...

Dyse

Smash Journeyman
lol I'll MM you. You may choose your characters to play with. It does not matter to me. We can MM at the March 3rd tourney in San Antonio if you go to that. If not, I'll mm you at Evo.

Oh, and the point of the stalled dash dance, is that it is only ONE change in direction. You don't really DD at all. You just do it once instead of back and forth. That is the point.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Approaches... approaches approaches... such a touchy subject with me.

Honestly, I approach with Nairs mostly. However, I like to let my opponent do the approaching. Keeps me in control moreso. I do so with pill spam, of course.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
lol I'll MM you. You may choose your characters to play with. It does not matter to me. We can MM at the March 3rd tourney in San Antonio if you go to that. If not, I'll mm you at Evo.

Oh, and the point of the stalled dash dance, is that it is only ONE change in direction. You don't really DD at all. You just do it once instead of back and forth. That is the point.

I am not going to the march 3rd tourny.. How much do you want to MM for? How about $10? If thats too much $5 is fine though. 3/5 MLG? I will probably play as Doc first match just to see how well my doc does against doc mains and then switch to some other characters depending on how good you are..if they doc dittos are fun I will probably just stay doc though :). And do you know if your Doc is better then Pnuemas?

Snakebite

Smash Journeyman
Up tilting has awesome priority and has some sideward range to it aswell, but I Feel its a good camping move for counter attacking other characters when they decide to go arial against you.

As far as apporach goes How do people feel about forward tilting?
It seems to be one of the quickest and easiest follow ups to pill spaming and has decent range.

Ray$

Smash Apprentice
All the Approach's are match specific, Depending on what character your playing vs. Pill rushing is def one of the basics you can use against (almost) any char and get close enough to take advantage of Docs close range game. You still needs to remeber -It's all about the mindgames!- You can learn how to rush in or do whatever tactic you like, but putting it to practical use in matches against good opponents is key.

Example - With my style of play, vs Space animals its a very defensive style of approach. Double jump pills to escape shffl'd anything, into Dair / FF'd Nair. If they get too noticable of the idea, I switch it up to a short ground game with more speed to mix it up enough where they have to adapt to the new playing style. Your approach must always vary to add to the mindgame, so you have to mix up your game.

You always need to take into consideration the level of skill your opponent has. Some people will fall for dumb mindgames and others will just counter with ease. Always be patient and watch his gameplay a bit so you can understand what he trys to do.
I've Learned to make up new approaches and retreats depending on the match-up to confuse and take my opponent out of his norm.

It's all about the mindgames.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yep...Mindgames are too good. Just like Isia.

hhliveson

Smash Cadet
before you start to approach you should throw a pill or two and see how your opponent reacts. if they like to hide in their shield, then you know to WD downgrab after you spam a few pills. if they try to counter the pills, then you may want to consider to either WD f-tilt or SH any air. just keep in mind to switch up either how you pill or maybe use an air attack as an opener.

alcheato

Smash Ace
I'll usually start with some pill spam and work my in. If they set themselves up for the easy grab, I'll go for it, otherwise I'll approach with nair or dair on characters that don't have great reach, or try and triangle jump right behind them and grab.

Top Bottom