• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A WINNER IS STAR MAN! Vote for Star Man (Pro Wrestling) for SSB4 DLC!

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Hailing from Mexico? Weighing 220 pounds. Star Man, the Super space-traveller!

What game is Star Man from and who is he?
Star Man is from the video Pro Wrestling for the NES. Programmed and designed by Masato Masuda, it features 7 original pro wrestlers (who were influenced by real life wrestlers) and they wrestle for the V.W.A. Championship. After winning it, the wrestler defends the title, until fighting Great Puma for the V.W.F. title. By winning, the player become the interpromotional V.W.A./V.W.F. champion (NWA/WWF, clever huh?). It ranked 172nd in Nintendo Power's greatest Nintendo games. Pro Wrestling's poor translation also resulted in an internet meme (hint, it's in the title of the thread). So if you've used this, you have contributed to the legacy of this game.
Star Man hails from Mexico (maybe?). Standing at 6'3" and weighing in at 220 pounds. His signature moves are Somersault Kick and Flying Cross Chop. He comes from the tradition of lucha libre. His mask is more than just a mask. It is his face and his identity.

Playstyle and Moveset:
Ground Speed 6/10: Star Man has the above average speed.
Air Speed 7/10: Star Man excels in the air and moves rather well.
Size 7/10: Star Man is about the height of Captain Falcon
Weight 6/10: Star Man has the weight of a cruiser weight (about Mario weight)
Fall Speed 6/10: Star Man falls at a little faster than normal speed.
Jump Height 6/10: Star Man has above average jump
Traction
8/10: As a pro wrestler, Star Man has great traction.
Star Man is a semi grappler due to his grappling ability and speed. He hails from Mexico, but uses a mixture of strong Japanese style and a little bit high flying from Mexico. Due to his height, he isn't as much of a high flyer as luchador. Star Man was originally patterned after Mil Mascaras, so naturally much of his patterning comes from Mascaras' spiritual successor, his nephew Alberto Del Rio. But most of the moves were taken from the game anyway.

Standard Movements:
Idle: Stands in fighting stance with fists up ready to punch
Idle Animation 1: Adjusts mask
Idle Animation 2: Backflips in place
Running Animation: Runs with arms at side
Knocked down: Body and arms flat with legs bent slightly upwards
Crouched: Normal crouch
1st Jump: Similar jump to Little Mac's first jump
2nd Jump: Front flip but looks like Adrian Neville's 450 Splash

Normal Attacks:
AAA: Kicking combo: Star Man hits a right handed punch. Then a right leg kick. then left leg kick. back right leg jump kick (savate kick). The kicking combo is very common in pro wrestling: Justin Gabriel Kick Combo
Up tilt: European Uppercut: Star Man hits any opponents above him with a European uppercut: Antonio Cesaro's Swiss Death
Down tilt: Low kick. While crouching, Star Man hits with a standard low kick.
A tilt: Drop Kick: Star Man kicks and does a standing drop kick with a flip, so he can resume his stance after the kick. Randy Orton's Dropkick
A Running: Super Kick. Star Man kicks the opponent's chin with his right foot Dolph Ziggler's Superkick

Smash Attacks:
Forward: Enzuigiri: Star Man does a standing Enzigiri with his right leg. ADR's Enzuigiri
Up: Backflip kick: Star Man does a standing backflip kick. If it hits them, he also jumps off them to complete the flip. Daniel Bryan's Backflip
Down: Sweep Kick: Star Man does a full spin sweep kick. Gabriel's Sweep Kick

Grabs:
Grabs with both arms. If it's a smaller opponent, he bearhugs them while holding them up.
Pummel: Headbutts while holding the opponent.
Forward Throw: Irish Whip. Star Man throws the opponent as if he was doing an Irish whip, but it works like a throw: Irish Whip
Back Throw: Scoop Slam: Star Man lifts the opponent up and does a scoop slam to the ground behind him: CM Punk's Scoop Slam
Down Throw: Piledriver: Put opponent between his legs then lifts him up so he is upside down and spikes his head in the ground. Bully Ray's Piledriver
Up Throw: Monkey flip. While standing, Star Man falls backward and does a monkey flip. Kofi Kingston's Monkey Flip

Aerials:
Nair: Flying crossbody: Adrian Neville's Flying Crossbody
Fair: Drop Kick: Zack Ryder's Top Rope Dropkick
Bair: Savate kick: RVD's Savate Kick
Dair: Diving knee: Seth Rollin's Diving Knee
Uair: Pele Kick: Finn Balor's Pele Kick

Specials:
Neutral: Front suplex: Star Man grapples the opponent and immediate does a standing suplex. MM at 0:58
Up: Somersault kick: Star Man jumps in the air and does his first signature maneuvers. It hits anyone within the spectrum of the somersault. Star Man at 0:20
Forward: Flying cross chop: Star Man's other signature maneuver. He does not need to run forward unlike his real life inspiration. He simple flies in the air and hits a cross chop. Can be use for recovery, but leaves in a recovery state. MM at 2:14
Down: Standing headscissors takedown. Star Man counters any physical strike by grabbing the attacking part and performing a headscissors to take the opponent down. MM at 1:09

Final Smash:
Cross Chop of the Century!
Based of the Kinnikuman finisher: Muscle Millennium. Star Man starts off by doing a standard signature somersault kick. anyone hit by this move is about to be instant KO'd. If it misses, the move does not proceed. After which, the players find themselves inside a wrestling ring (even if they are at the Ring stage) much like Captain Falcon. Star Man jumps on to the ropes and uses them as sling shot. He flies toward the opponent and hits the with a cross chop. Then they immediately go back to the normal stage and fly off into oblivion. Muscle Millennium from KG

Taunts:
Up: Star Man pulls out a mic and starts to talk but stops and puts it away before he can say anything.
Forward: Star Man points at his opponent.
Down: Star Man gestures to the crowd for support.

Entrance: Star Man walks forward from a ramp and titantron to stage.

Win poses:

A WINNER IS YOU! pose with arms stretched above head.

Arms crossed with Championship belt across waist.

Pulls out championships and gestures toward audience.

Music:
In Match
Match Start
Ending Theme
Win Theme

Art of Star Man

Custom Star Man figures

Star Man in game.

Support Icons:

Arguments:
Star Man could be added as a retro and surprise character. His style is unlike anything currently in the game. He and the Amazon are the most well known and liked from the game. Star Man is a fan-favorite from the game, while Amazon is probably the heel, also increasing Star Man's chances over his other wrestlers. The game itself sold well, according to vgchartz, it has sold 2.4 million copies world wide. It's a well received classic game. It's final boss is known as one of the hardest in video game history. Here are a few arguments against Star Man and his fellow wrestlers. Unlike most nintendo NES games, this game hasn't been rereleased for the virtual console. The game was developed by Nintendo and Try Company, Ltd, while being published by Nintendo making it more of a second party release. The characters themselves have rarely appeared over the years. However, the Amazon did make a cameo in WarioWare: Twisted!, so Nintendo probably owns the characters. The series has yet to receive any trophies or stickers to my knowledge in Smash, which is probably the greatest mark against a possible character from the series. He also happens to share his name with the similarly named Starman. There are three other Starman who made it into Smash as stickers from three different series (Mario, Kirby, Mother/Earthbound).

Funny Video: Star Man and Little Mac are Friends!

Daniel Bryan apparently likes Star Man! http://gonintendo.com/stories/242397-wwe-superstar-daniel-bryan-talks-nintendo-love-of-pro-wrestling

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
Interesting. Can you tell me why he's better than the Amazon? I've always heard more reference to him than to Star Man.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Interesting. Can you tell me why he's better than the Amazon? I've always heard more reference to him than to Star Man.
Both characters are the only usable characters in the game. I like the design of Star Man better. As a pro wrestling fan, Star Man's connection to Lucha Libre as a Masked Mexican wrestler makes him more appealing to me, and also makes him a better fit for Smash. The theatrical side of lucha libre fits well with Super Smash bros. It relies on explosive, crowd pleasing moves. The fast pace nature of it would make Star Man a more fast paced wrestler. Masked wrestling is also widespread amongst wrestler in Japan. Some of the most famous Japanese wrestlers wear masks, including Jushin Liger and Ultimo Dragon. The best thing about masked wrestler is that there is increased stakes when they wrestle due to their mask. Masked wrestlers can put their mask on the line for a chance at a prestigious title or against another masked wrestlers. These are the some of the most heart wrenching matches, because the mask is the wrestler's identity. Once they take of the mask, they can never take it off (usually, excluding Rey Mysterio). So to put their entire careers on the line basically for these matches. These matches are called luchas de apuestas, or matches with wagers.

The Amazon is a fine character too. As Star Man is based on Mil Mascaras, I feel that the Amazon is based on foreign brawlers (in Japan) such as Abdullah the Butcher and Bruiser Brody. As hardcore wrestlers and brawlers before it was cool, they are a bit more violent and underhanded, which fits just slightly less in Smash. Although actually within game the Amazon and Star Man have most of the same moves other than their signatures,

The series tradition for Smash is for heroes to get in first and then villains. Although both get pops in game, Star Man with his acrobatic style is more likely to be a babyface (pro wrestling term for good guy), while the Amazon uses biting, which is under handed tactic, making him more likely to be a heel (a villain). Also in Japan, many foreigners end up being heels against the babyfaces. Not necessarily all foreigners are heels, but the ones that use a style less like the Japanese strong style have a tendency to be heels (hence brawlers). Abdullah the Butcher spent his entire career as a heel, so it stands to reason the Amazon was one too. On the other hand, Mil Mascaras spent almost all his career as a face.

So in short:
Masked wrestlers are cooler and have a greater connection to wrestling as a whole and Japanese wrestling.
The Amazon's basis used violent tactics that do not fit for smash. Star Man's wrestling style fits smash better with its theatricality and explosive nature.
And heroes tend to make it over villains in Smash. In the context of wrestling, Star Man is a hero and the Amazon is a villain.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'd be happy with Starman and/or Amazon appearing as Assist Trophies... Damn it, why won't Nintendo release Pro Wrestling on Virtual Console?!

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Gonna revive this to see more opinions about Starman. A wrestler would be interesting, but would he always rely on grabs?
Thanks for reviving the thread. I put a lot of work into it so it's great to see it get some responses. From his origin as well as his wrestling background (he's a masked luchador from Mexico), he would probably use that type of wrestling style. Which means more fast paced action and striking moves.

Wrestling has changed since the 80s, so he would be a faster character to resemble it's pace today. As mentioned in the OP, Star Man appears to be based on the legendary Mil Mascaras, so I patterned his style after his spiritual successor, current WWE wrestler (as well as his nephew) Alberto Del Rio. Star Man's signature maneuver is the same as Mascaras's signature move.

From what I understand about his influence in pro wrestling back in the day, Mil Mascaras popularized the lucha libre style all across the world. To put it simply, luchadors tends to be faster, more agile wrestlers who rely on aerial attacks rather powerful slams. So I don't believe he would rely on grabs given the wrestler he's based on and the style of wrestling he uses.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
I was considering making a standalone thread for the Amazon, but then I saw how low this sunk so I really didn't think it was worth it. Personally, I think the Amazon/Star Man issue is similar to Hippo/Mac. The villain is easily more recognizable than the hero and has more potential moveset-wise, however the hero is...well, the hero.

In this case, though, both characters haven't appeared in quite a long time making those roles somewhat null. While Mac is likely to get in now because of Punch-Out!!'s revival, if that game wasn't made and Mac wasn't an AT, King Hippo would probably be the PO!! rep that fans are clamoring for. The Amazon could appear in Smash with vicious techniques and utilize the wrestling motif that you described in the OP. However, The Amazon could be more cartoony and exaggerated, which gives him the edge over Star Man - and never mind his obviously neutral special/pummel in the form of biting on his foe.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I was considering making a standalone thread for the Amazon, but then I saw how low this sunk so I really didn't think it was worth it. Personally, I think the Amazon/Star Man issue is similar to Hippo/Mac. The villain is easily more recognizable than the hero and has more potential moveset-wise, however the hero is...well, the hero.

In this case, though, both characters haven't appeared in quite a long time making those roles somewhat null. While Mac is likely to get in now because of Punch-Out!!'s revival, if that game wasn't made and Mac wasn't an AT, King Hippo would probably be the PO!! rep that fans are clamoring for. The Amazon could appear in Smash with vicious techniques and utilize the wrestling motif that you described in the OP. However, The Amazon could be more cartoony and exaggerated, which gives him the edge over Star Man - and never mind his obviously neutral special/pummel in the form of biting on his foe.
I think the Amazon is awesome too (I love a good heel) so you should make a thread. Starman technically might not even the first protagonist, as Hayabusa, who also has a thread, would probably be the game's main protagonist. I just like Star Man's design better and love luchadors.

I agree neither character is likely due to the lack or appreciation shown by Sakurai and Nintendo for the game, but the Amazon did make an appearance in Wario Ware Twisted I believe, so that's something. In all honesty the Amazon does have an edge over Star Man, but either character's inclusion would make me very happy. I made this thread to appreciate the character (and pro wrestling) so making the Amazon a thread is a great idea.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Shameless bump. I think Star Man would be a good idea for an obscure retro character, rather than going for the obvious picks. I would love to see a reveal trailer with Little Mac in the middle of a boxing match with Donkey Kong, then Star Man climbs over the ropes, leaps into the air and does the Flying Cross Chop on both of them. Plus I'm in dire need of a wrestler in Smash and I doubt Hawlucha will be in smash 4.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I love the OP for it. But we some Puro related stuff in there for the Japanese wrestling fans

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I love the OP for it. But we some Puro related stuff in there for the Japanese wrestling fans
Don't know what OP stands for or what Puro is lol. I was thinking about Japanese wrestling being incorporated but he's a luchador. Its a Mexican style. I think if someone like the Amazon was added then some more Japanese style of wrestling would be present.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Don't know what OP stands for or what Puro is lol. I was thinking about Japanese wrestling being incorporated but he's a luchador. Its a Mexican style. I think if someone like the Amazon was added then some more Japanese style of wrestling would be present.
OP is original post and Puro is a term for Japan Wrestling

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Personally, if I designed him, he would be just a copy of Alberto El Patron, considering Starman's based on Mil Mascaras, Alberto's uncle.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Personally, if I designed him, he would be just a copy of Alberto El Patron, considering Starman's based on Mil Mascaras, Alberto's father.
That's why I gave him some more high flying based moves. Also you didn't have a piledriver, which is something he does in game so I added that. And a superkick. Cuz you know, its a superkick.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Hey, just dropping by to say that I support a newcomer from Pro Wrestling. I think Star Man should be the rep for this series, but I'd be happy with any of the wrestlers from this series.

Thanks again for the support you gave us on our page mate! In my eyes, the more Nintendo franchises included in Smash, the better. :)

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Hey, just dropping by to say that I support a newcomer from Pro Wrestling. I think Star Man should be the rep for this series, but I'd be happy with any of the wrestlers from this series.

Thanks again for the support you gave us on our page mate! In my eyes, the more Nintendo franchises included in Smash, the better. :)
Thanks for the support. I can only really imagine Star Man and Amazon getting in. Fighter Hayabusa and the rest are pretty generic.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I feel that Nintendo should make another Pro Wrestling game but like really corny like WWE Allstars (The game that got me into wrestling and also really fun).

Last edited:

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I feel that Nintendo should make another Pro Wrestling game but like really corny like WWE Allstars (The game that got me into wrestling and also really fun).
That would be pretty slick!

Nintendo has a TON of IPs that they could use to make a new game. There's Custom Robo (though they might need to get Noise on this), Pro Wrestling, Star Tropics, Golden Sun (once again, they need Camelot for this), Chibi Robo, F-Zero, Metroid, and so on.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
That would be pretty slick!

Nintendo has a TON of IPs that they could use to make a new game. There's Custom Robo (though they might need to get Noise on this), Pro Wrestling, Star Tropics, Golden Sun (once again, they need Camelot for this), Chibi Robo, F-Zero, Metroid, and so on.
I feel like Star Man should make a cameo in Punch Out!! I mean I'm pretty sure they are in the same universe.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
That's why I gave him some more high flying based moves. Also you didn't have a piledriver, which is something he does in game so I added that. And a superkick. Cuz you know, its a superkick.
Must have been the WWE fan in me kicking in. Just assumed piledrivers were banned.

I would love it if you could turn any match in Smash into a Superkick Party.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Last edited:

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Don't worry, it's a nice job
Thanks mate! :)

Thanks dude, btw do you wanna support our stunning superstar.
Sure (though I am supporter #6 on your list of supporters)! I do think he would be a great addition to the roster as he would be a representative for Wrestling, which is an art not explored by the Smash games yet.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Thanks mate! :)

Sure (though I am supporter #6 on your list of supporters)! I do think he would be a great addition to the roster as he would be a representative for Wrestling, which is an art not explored by the Smash games yet.
Look at my edit lol. I forgot.

So what do you think of my edited moveset of Jaytalks original moveset.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Top Bottom