• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A way to "Quantify" your player skill

jet56

Smash Journeyman
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1059i0QQOkHQAJhBwUCoCRUEysxEokTTFRdqF7a-3lgg/edit#gid=0
Hey guys, this is something i wanted to get out there for the smash 4 community. a way of measuring your player skill, in all facets of the game possible. let me know what you guys think, or if i should edit or clarify something in the doc. Enjoy!

A description of the skill levels:
Casual (1-100)- you don't play the game competitively, or if you want to or do, you don't have the skills to compete with most other competitive players.
Tournament Fodder (101-150)- In short, you are going 1-2 or 0-2 in bracket. even if this is not the case, you wouldn't do well at all at higher levels of play. (its also possible you do quite well at your local level but rate yourself this. it might be then that your region isn't that strong.)
Local Level Competitor (151-200)-At this level of play, you are known and do well at your local and state level, getting top 8 pretty consistently at your weeklies. when people scroll through the bracket, they typically recognize you and keep an eye out on where you are and how you are doing. However, you struggle against top players in your state, and are having difficulty taking sets off of top 20 players in your region.
Top State level (201-250)-At this point, you are considered one of the best in your state, and are only contested by top 20 players. its possible you may not be top 20, because your region is particularly strong (Texas, SoCal, etc.), but you would still make noise at your state tourneys. At this level, you should be getting out of pools out of regionals.
Pro Level (251-300)-One of the Best. you don't have to be well known to be at a pro level, as its possible you haven't had the chance to play at larger tournaments yet. By this point, you should be seeing top 32 at nationals, and typically top 8 at regionals. In your own region or state, you should be a top 3 player, but its dependent on the strength of your region.

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I'm a huge sucker for lists and list making. I'll definitely be taking an extended look at this at some point. Very cool.

GeflGabe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeflGabe
3DS FC
4141-7244-4594
Switch FC
SW-7469-5871-5880
Looks like i'm tournament fodder. I must train harder.
Got 125 pts.

Last edited:

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
117 points. Yay, Tournament Fodder... Two months ago I was better in every way, I played this morning against a friend of mine and oh god I'm so bad now. I really need to train.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Now I want a scouter that measures how good of a smash player someone is lol.

I got 197 so I am a local level competitor apparently. I'll admit I probably gave myself to much credit in some categories and it should be much lower if I was evaluated by someone else, hell I've never even been to a tournament yet. I always felt like despite being unable to practice against good players all the time (I have only the 3DS version cause I do not own a Wii U) I played really well and could do really well at locals after going to them a few times.

I would guess the amount of points I SHOULD have at the way I currently play should be around 125-130 points. Honestly my two biggest flaws as a player in this game is overestimating myself and not focusing on the match when I should be by thinking about other things or talking about unrelated things to my opponent while I am playing against them.

jet56

Smash Journeyman
Glad this is getting some views and generating discussion. the main purpose of this was to see where you stand in retrospect to the competitive smash scene, and then to ask yourself if you are satisfied with where you stand or not. it was also a way to pinpoint exactly where your flaws are as a player are, and to focus on them.
personally, i gave myself a 224, and it shows, as i am hovering around the top 20 area in my state.

MarMarTheGreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dylannumar2
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
175 but I need to know what you mean with Average? Like your average sm4sh player?

I am ranked Silver on Anthers which has a ranking system but I am new so I could defly get higher if work was put into it.

jet56

Smash Journeyman
175 but I need to know what you mean with Average? Like your average sm4sh player?

I am ranked Silver on Anthers which has a ranking system but I am new so I could defly get higher if work was put into it.
Hmm, ok ill describe a bit more accurately what i mean for each skill range. ill also include it in the op.
Casual (1-100)- you don't play the game competitively, or if you want to or do, you don't have the skills to compete with most other competitive players.
Tournament Fodder (101-150)- In short, you are going 1-2 or 0-2 in bracket. even if this is not the case, you wouldn't do well at all at higher levels of play. (its also possible you do quite well at your local level but rate yourself this. it might be then that your region isn't that strong.)
Local Level Competitor (151-200)-At this level of play, you are known and do well at your local and state level, getting top 8 pretty consistently at your weeklies. when people scroll through the bracket, they typically recognize you and keep an eye out on where you are and how you are doing. However, you struggle against top players in your state, and are having difficulty taking sets off of top 20 players in your region.
Top State level (201-250)-At this point, you are considered one of the best in your state, and are only contested by top 20 players. its possible you may not be top 20, because your region is particularly strong (Texas, SoCal, etc.), but you would still make noise at your state tourneys. At this level, you should be getting out of pools out of regionals.
Pro Level (251-300)-One of the Best. you don't have to be well known to be at a pro level, as its possible you haven't had the chance to play at larger tournaments yet. By this point, you should be seeing top 32 at nationals, and typically top 8 at regionals. In your own region or state, you should be a top 3 player, but its dependent on the strength of your region.

also, i don't want to put down anthers ladder, as it is much better than FG, but anthers doesn't have the highest skilled players on that site. the most notable is Denti, who is #2 in the Texas DFW region. yet he is below Twi, who isn't even on pr for his Texas region. this goes to show that while anthers do have high level players, the rankings aren't accurate, because it is based off of who plays, and online input lag factors into it. shiek, who is Denti's main, is much worse online, which is why Denti isn't ranked first, even though he is much better in an offline environment. Hope this Helps!

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
I haven't done the numbers yet, but tournament fodder is pretty much a perfect description of me. I've gone 1-2 at nearly every tournament I've been to, only deviating from that like once or twice.

Last edited:

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
The strange thing is that I went to two tournaments and I went 2-2 and 5-2 respectively. Maybe I was just incredibly lucky. My worst habit is I commit to much and often throw unsafe moves. And I'm quite bad at punish sometimes.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Dunning-Kruger basically ruins any statistical validity of self-assessment.

Percentile measures are the only valid competitive benchmark, but they are hard to measure in smash, especially outside top level. (People also have inconsistent frames of reference.)

jet56

Smash Journeyman
Dunning-Kruger basically ruins any statistical validity of self-assessment.

Percentile measures are the only valid competitive benchmark, but they are hard to measure in smash, especially outside top level. (People also have inconsistent frames of reference.)
haha not going to lie, i heard of the term "Dunning-Kruger" before, but had to google it to grasp the whole concept. while i do agree that you can't really put a number on "skill", this is meant more as a way to self-reflect on where you stand and what you need to improve on, and less on actually putting yourself on a 'scale' to see where you stand compared to others. that was what i was trying to accomplish with this, but perhaps it can be misinterpreted.

DavyChan

Smash Rookie
152. Local Level Competitor.

Spacing : 5
Pressure: 5
Reads: 5
Safety: 5
Creativity: 7
Execution: 7
Optimization: 8
Accuracy: 7
Awareness: 6
Punish: 5
Option Coverage: 5
Netting the stock: 5
MU knowledge: 5
Fundamental: 8
Stage Knowledge: 3
Player Strategy: 6
Mechanics: 8
Comfortability: 8
MU Mastery: 5
Utilization: 8
Ch. Execution: 4
Ch. Knowledge: 6
Advanced Techs: 2
Stages: 3
Ch. Versatility: 6
Exploitation: 3
Mindgames: 7

Mr. Potatobadger

Smash Apprentice
Kind of neat, I used this as a tool to assess what I need to work on. Regardless of accuracy, it helped me reflect. I got 197.

Riggen

Smash Cadet
NNID
15243BDRAE
3DS FC
1607-3148-7902
224? No That Cant Be Right... There's Something Wrong...

OR IS THERE

DUN DUN DOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

No Really That's What I Got... I Don't Understand... I CAN'T EVEN WAVEDASH OR L-CANCEL IN MELEE I'M SO BAD

Yeah... I Can't :GCX::GCDR::GCRT::GCY::GCDL::GCRT: Or Even :GCY::GCD::GCA::GCRT:

I SUCK RIGHT? I SHOULD BE LIKE 74 OR SOMETHING

But Alas... I Got 224 Anyway

Top Bottom