• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Warrior of Light! Black Mage for Super Smash Bros.! (#BlackMage4Smash4DLC!))

Burruni

Smash Hero
Here's my move set
In all honesty, I took a fair bit of inspiration from Project M's interpretation of :4lucas: .

Stats
Height: Around :4luigi:

Weight: 85 = :4zelda:

Walk/Run Speed: 1.632 = :rosalina:

Jumps/Air Speed: 2, Floaty fall speed, 1.18 = :4greninja:

Grab Range: 5.5 = :4charizard:

Animations
Entrance - A large classic FF Crystal appears and then is shattered, revealing Black Mage inside.

Walk: Black Mage slowly steps forward, staff held out.
Run: Black Mage hovers slightly off the ground, basically the same as :rosalina: or :4palutena:

Guard: Black Mage holds up his staff in a guard, arms crossed

Side Step: Black Mage blinks out of existence for a moment.

Roll: Blinking forward or back in a brief dash with a faint after image, akin to Mirror ability's dash in Kirby.

Taunt 1 - Black Mage poofs into his classic 8-bit identity like a cut-out before returning to normal.

Taunt 2 - Black Mage points his staff in the four cardinal directions, erupting with a small burst of water, fire, wind, and then a small boulder at east, west, north, and south respectively.

Taunt 3 - Black Mage pumps his arms up and down in the air, akin to the classic FF 1-6 victory animations.

Victory 1 - Black Mage floats triumphantly on his wand like the typical caster on a broom

Victory 2 - Black Mage channels a small magical circle in his hands before popping out small, 16 sprite versions of a Moogle, Chocobo, and Cactaur which all do the retro two-frame victory animation.

Victory 3 - Black Mage twirls his wand in his hands before stabbing the base onto the ground, striking a pose.

Loss - With head tilted down to where the brim of the hat obscures the face, Black mage slowly claps.

Standards
Jab Combo: Simply magically manipulating the staff into two clean smacks before a stronger golf swing to finish.

Dash Attack: A small lunge with the staff spinning out to extend his hitbox.

To be fair, not a lot of new ground here. All Staff based.
F-Tilt: :4bowserjr:

D-Tilt: :4palutena:

U-Tilt: :4bowserjr:

F-Smash: Wind-Up hockey swing with staff

D-Smash: Runes burst with magical power by Black Mage on either side, functions similar to :4megaman:'s Flame Storm.

U-Smash: Small Aero vortex (Akin to :4villager:/:4mewtwo:)

Ledge Attack: Black Mage flips onto the stage with a heel drop

Get-Up Attack: Black Mage spins up to his feet, staff spiraling around him.
Aerials

N-Air: :4palutena:'s staff twirl.

F-Air: Limited explosion from an extended staff

B-Air: :4zelda:'s thunder kick

D-Air: :rosalina:'s with a magical rune

U-Air: Ice fractal overhead

Grab & Throws
Grab & Pummel: Black Mage binds a Toad-ed enemy in magic rings, the rings... wring the toad on pummel. (In the same relative bounds of :4gaw: turning the grabbed targets into one of the small balls)

F-Throw: Charges up a small dark blast that launches the toad, target is returned to normal once blasted.

B-Throw: A simple magical backwards throw, un-Toad'd after the toss finishes.

D-Throw: Black Mage sets up the toad like a volley ball before spiking it into the ground with his staff, target returns to normal once hit with the staff.

U-Throw: Raises staff and a rock spire erupts underneath the toad, reversing the status ailment on impact and launching the target into the air.
Specials

B: Spellblade - After a channeling of around 3 seconds, Black Mage enchants his staff to increase the damage of his next 3 Smash attacks and imbues an elemental effect onto them, F - Blizzard , U - Thunder, D- Fire (cosmetic more than an actual effect, charges will be spent if the attack misses, of course).

Side+B: Firaga - Black Mage shoots out a small ball of flame that increases in speed as it travels horizontally, only stopping once off screen or when it makes contact, 1 at a time. When making contact, it explodes doing minor damage but knocking any character slightly into the air with the proximate force of :4bowserjr:'s mechkoopa.

Down+B: Blizzaga - Black Mage summons a series of thin ice crystals in front of him which increases in height and power with subsequent strike, stopping at 5. Has a 1 second delay between each crystal raising but the pillars linger for .25 seconds. Knock-back is straight up and full trail goes about half the distance of battlefield. Height is based upon the closest ground to the spawn distance, making it useless off stage. (Starts around :4pikachu:'s height, barely stronger than a jab to being able to strike someone standing at the top platform of Battlefield with around the damage of an uncharged smash attack).
Up+B: Thundaga - Chargeable akin to :4diddy:, Black Mage charges a thunder cloud by his feet (as he falls) before launching straight straight up into the air, leaving him in a helpless fall. Thunder Mage is electrified during the launch and will damage any characters he passes through, with the damage and armor of it decreasing over the duration of the launch.

Final Smash: Flare - Black Mage erects a summoning circle which engulfs any standing atop it (:4greninja:) and are subject to the short cinematic of the iconic ultimate black magic.

Victory Theme:
Did anyone expect anything else?

Last edited:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Thanks, KS! I've only played Smash casually until these past few months. I'd love to go to some tourneys though! I'm a big fighter fan and Sm4sh is quickly becoming one of my favorites. I never knew it was so technical! If the BM miraculously gets voted in expect to see alot more of me.
I myself have never really been able to play competitively either, but that was mostly due to Brawl's poor online and the fact that I could never go to any tournaments. However, I do understand most of the mechanics and hopefully I can one day attempt at playing on the competitive side. But enough of that, it is a little off topic anyways.
Here's my move set
In all honesty, I took a fair bit of inspiration from Project M's interpretation of :4lucas: in Project M.

Stats
Height: Around :4luigi:

Weight: 85 = :4zelda:

Walk/Run Speed: 1.632 = :rosalina:

Jumps/Air Speed: 2, Floaty fall speed, 1.18 = :4greninja:

Grab Range: 5.5 = :4charizard:

Animations
Entrance - A large classic FF Crystal appears and then is shattered, revealing Black Mage inside.

Walk: Black Mage slowly steps forward, staff held out.
Run: Black Mage hovers slightly off the ground, basically the same as :rosalina: or :4palutena:

Guard: Black Mage holds up his staff in a guard, arms crossed

Side Step: Black Mage blinks out of existence for a moment.

Roll: Blinking forward or back in a brief dash with a faint after image, akin to Mirror ability's dash in Kirby.

Taunt 1 - Black Mage poofs into his classic 8-bit identity like a cut-out before returning to normal.

Taunt 2 - Black Mage points his staff in the four cardinal directions, erupting with a small burst of water, fire, wind, and then a small boulder at east, west, north, and south respectively.

Taunt 3 - Black Mage pumps his arms up and down in the air, akin to the classic FF 1-6 victory animations.

Victory 1 - Black Mage floats triumphantly on his wand like the typical caster on a broom

Victory 2 - Black Mage channels a small magical circle in his hands before popping out small, 16 sprite versions of a Moogle, Chocobo, and Cactaur which all do the retro two-frame victory animation.

Victory 3 - Black Mage twirls his wand in his hands before stabbing the base onto the ground, striking a pose.

Loss - With head tilted down to where the brim of the hat obscures the face, Black mage slowly claps.

Standards
Jab Combo: Simply magically manipulating the staff into two clean smacks before a stronger golf swing to finish.

Dash Attack: A small lunge with the staff spinning out to extend his hitbox.

To be fair, not a lot of new ground here. All Staff based.
F-Tilt: :4bowserjr:

D-Tilt: :4palutena:

U-Tilt: :4bowserjr:

F-Smash: Wind-Up hockey swing with staff

D-Smash: Runes burst with magical power by Black Mage on either side, functions similar to :4megaman:'s Flame Storm.

U-Smash: Small Aero vortex (Akin to :4villager:/:4mewtwo:)

Ledge Attack: Black Mage flips onto the stage with a heel drop

Get-Up Attack: Black Mage spins up to his feet, staff spiraling around him.
Aerials

N-Air: :4palutena:'s staff twirl.

F-Air: Limited explosion from an extended staff

B-Air: :4zelda:'s thunder kick

D-Air: :rosalina:'s with a magical rune

U-Air: Ice fractal overhead

Grab & Throws
Grab & Pummel: Black Mage binds a Toad-ed enemy in magic rings, the rings... wring the toad on pummel. (In the same relative bounds of :4gaw: turning the grabbed targets into one of the small balls)

F-Throw: Charges up a small dark blast that launches the toad, target is returned to normal once blasted.

B-Throw: A simple magical backwards throw, un-Toad'd after the toss finishes.

D-Throw: Black Mage sets up the toad like a volley ball before spiking it into the ground with his staff, target returns to normal once hit with the staff.

U-Throw: Raises staff and a rock spire erupts underneath the toad, reversing the status ailment on impact and launching the target into the air.
Specials

B: Spellblade - After a channeling of around 3 seconds, Black Mage enchants his staff to increase the damage of his next 3 Smash attacks and imbues an elemental effect onto them, F - Blizzard , U - Thunder, D- Fire (cosmetic more than an actual effect, charges will be spent if the attack misses, of course).

Side+B: Firaga - Black Mage shoots out a small ball of flame that increases in speed as it travels horizontally, only stopping once off screen or when it makes contact, 1 at a time. When making contact, it explodes doing minor damage but knocking any character slightly into the air with the proximate force of :4bowserjr:'s mechkoopa.

Down+B: Blizzaga - Black Mage summons a series of thin ice crystals in front of him which increases in height and power with subsequent strike, stopping at 5. Has a 1 second delay between each crystal raising but the pillars linger for .25 seconds. Knock-back is straight up and full trail goes about half the distance of battlefield. Height is based upon the closest ground to the spawn distance, making it useless off stage. (Starts around :4pikachu:'s height, barely stronger than a jab to being able to strike someone standing at the top platform of Battlefield with around the damage of an uncharged smash attack).
Up+B: Thundaga - Chargeable akin to :4diddy:, Black Mage charges a thunder cloud by his feet (as he falls) before launching straight straight up into the air, leaving him in a helpless fall. Thunder Mage is electrified during the launch and will damage any characters he passes through, with the damage and armor of it decreasing over the duration of the launch.

Final Smash: Flare - Black Mage erects a summoning circle which engulfs any standing atop it (:4greninja:) and are subject to the short cinematic of the iconic ultimate black magic.

Victory Theme:
Did anyone expect anything else?
Looks wonderful!

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
It's been a while since I last posted here, but I think I know something that would help bolster support for our favorite Warrior of Light.

Send your requests to have Smashified! do their take on Black Mage! Remember, they are only going to consider doing him if there's enough vocal support for him as a fighter. If you don't use Twitter, do it on their deviantart page if you wish.

Finally I found this thread. This guy is one of my mains in SSF2, and if Square-Enix ever gets a rep in Smash, Black Mage would be my choice. Add me to the support list.

https://twitter.com/smashified/status/615511088688336897

Seen all those Slime requests in Omni's current voting round makes me wish that Black Mage have more of a following. Those Super Smash Flash 2 mains better get out of the habit of waiting for the next demo and help us!

I don't understand why so many people want Slime to be Smashified. Nothing against him, but I mean, his design is very simple, would it even look different compared to normal Slime artwork?

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I don't understand why so many people want Slime to be Smashified. Nothing against him, but I mean, his design is very simple, would it even look different compared to normal Slime artwork?
Because Dragon Quest fanboys think their game deserves more representation for being more "Nintendo" than Final Fantasy. While they are completely ignoring the fact that there are many characters to choose from (Black Mage, Ninja, Moogle, Terra, Kefka, Bartz, ect) since they been on a Nintendo platform before.

Some of the more common arguments I see is that Slimes are amorphous and can stretch any part of their body to attack or fight. I just don't see the appeal in that thing either and Suu is the superior slime in my book.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Because Dragon Quest fanboys think their game deserves more representation for being more "Nintendo" than Final Fantasy. While they are completely ignoring the fact that there are many characters to choose from (Black Mage, Ninja, Moogle, Terra, Kefka, Bartz, ect) since they been on a Nintendo platform before.

Some of the more common arguments I see is that Slimes are amorphous and can stretch any part of their body to attack or fight. I just don't see the appeal in that thing either and Suu is the superior slime in my book.
Daily Life with Monster Girl viz nov on 3DS when?

Though when it comes to Smash 5 I'm making a Black Mage thread day 1 and damned if I'm not gonna raise up an army!

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'm honestly okay with Slime if it ever gets in, actually. The fact that Ryu is playable alongside Mega Man in this game shows me that 3rd party representation means nothing to Nintendo/Sakurai, so long as they have some credible history in their gaming libraries, and both Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest have some impressive pedigrees.

Speaking of Smashified, I heard that Geno is going to be done next by those people. While I'm ambivalent towards the guy at best, I'm hoping that our requests will be taken into serious consideration for next time. I know that they favorited my message when I asked them to do Black Mage on their twitter page.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I'm honestly okay with Slime if it ever gets in, actually. The fact that Ryu is playable alongside Mega Man in this game shows me that 3rd party representation means nothing to Nintendo/Sakurai, so long as they have some credible history in their gaming libraries, and both Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest have some impressive pedigrees.

Speaking of Smashified, I heard that Geno is going to be done next by those people. While I'm ambivalent towards the guy at best, I'm hoping that our requests will be taken into serious consideration for next time. I know that they favorited my message when I asked them to do Black Mage on their twitter page.
It won't be Geno.
The clues are
"Goku Hair."
"Boots."
"NOT a silent protagonist."
Considering Isaac's been in high demand since the start, a folder of his files were caught during the Travis drawing, and that he fits all of these (speaks plenty in The Lost Age & Dark Dawn).... he's far more likely to fit it than Geno.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It won't be Geno.
The clues are
"Goku Hair."
"Boots."
Considering Isaac's been in high demand since the start, a folder of his files were caught during the Travis drawing, and that he fits all of these (speaks plenty in The Lost Age & Dark Dawn).... he's far more likely to fit it than Geno.
Inb4 it's actually Crono in the end. :troll:

Nah, that would be a real **** move if it was him instead of Isaac.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
It won't be Geno.
The clues are
"Goku Hair."
"Boots."
I actually haven't heard of this until now. I only read something about Geno being done soon, but it looks like I was wrong.

To keep things on-topic, I've been entertaining the idea of Black Mage having color schemes that resemble the other traditional Final Fantasy classes as alternate costumes. We could have:

• Black Mage default (basically the look from the original NES game)
  • Fighter/Warrior of Light (dark-blue all around with gold and khaki linings)
  • Thief (dark-green with khaki linings)
  • White Mage (white, with the same red-triangular linings as their robes)
  • Red Mage (red with gold linings, and the band on their hat is pure white)
  • Monk (dark perwinkle robes and hat, the band is red much like the monks' headbands in the original game)
  • Summoner (green and yellow robes, much like the ones in FFV. There could even be a horn protruding from their hat.)
  • Samurai (red and dark-grey, similar in a way to Bartz's in FFV).
There were others that I could think of like the Dragoon, but I couldn't picture them like I did with these classes.

Geno Boost

Smash Master

Geno is going to be shown in smashified live omni said "the smashified live will be for a Mario character" and he said in the gamexplain video that he is planning on remaking Geno and Bomberman

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
A Black Mage can represent Square Enix (The Square half) nicely as well as several others. I didn't vote for the mage and I don't plan on multiple votes, but I do support the idea of Square Enix getting a character. I'll say the Black Mage has my non-voted support.

@ AustarusIV AustarusIV I like your Summoner and Samurai costume ideas by the way.

TGChig

Smash Rookie
I think that black mage could use his SSF2 moveset, as that has been proved to work and be legitimate.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Quite an impressive OP you have there.

I think I'd like to offer my support for Black Mage. As far as Third Party characters go, I think he'd be one of the most logical choices considering how massive Final Fantasy is to gaming, and on a more personal level, I just love the idea of having a traditional Mage being playable. :bee:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The Kutthroats have set out to draw their character thanking Iwata for all he has done.

We invite you to do the same.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
It isn't much sadly, but I drew this quick picture of Black Mage mourning Iwata's death as soon as I heard the news.

RIP.png

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
48% yes? we can do better!

B.H. and DD

Smash Apprentice
Can you put us on the support list. Black Mage is our second most wanted behind Shantae and we would LOVE it if he got in as DLC. We also noticed this board is pretty dead. If you want to get more supporters I HIGHLY recommend you draw lots of pictures of Black Mage on Miiverse. There are still a lot of people who haven't voted so we have to make sure we sway them to vote for Black Mage! We should also spread the word on popular forums like Reddit, Gamefaqs, and other places like YouTube and Twitter.

Last edited:

B.H. and DD

Smash Apprentice
We should help him get more known. I think Miiverse and Twitter would be great places to get more votes.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
We should help him get more known. I think Miiverse and Twitter would be great places to get more votes.
Given how cancerous Miiverse can be, I really want to avoid that place. Then again, any site could be considered "cancerous". Twitter doesn't seem like a bad idea though, so it could be worth a shot.

:094:

TylerBlackRunIt

I'm from YouTube
3DS FC
2509-3601-8302
I just got finish uploading my top 10 third party characters for smash... if square enix get a rep in smash it should be (Black Mage & Hero/Slime). :4megaman::4ryu:

B.H. and DD

Smash Apprentice
Given how cancerous Miiverse can be, I really want to avoid that place. Then again, any site could be considered "cancerous". Twitter doesn't seem like a bad idea though, so it could be worth a shot.

:094:
Actually, I'm in Miiverse often and If you post really good pictures of your most wanted often, you would be surprised on how quickly it catches on. Honestly, Miiverse and Twitter hands down have the least jerks. It's also where majority of the fan base hangs out. There's a lot to gain by making him popular on Miiverse and Twitter. We have 1 month which is more than enough time to get Black Mage popular! I know it's just a game, but having Black Mage playable would make me happier than words can ever describe.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Actually, I'm in Miiverse often and If you post really good pictures of your most wanted often, you would be surprised on how quickly it catches on. Honestly, Miiverse and Twitter hands down have the least jerks. It's also where majority of the fan base hangs out. There's a lot to gain by making him popular on Miiverse and Twitter. We have 1 month which is more than enough time to get Black Mage popular! I know it's just a game, but having Black Mage playable would make me happier than words can ever describe.
What you said is practically true in regards to Miiverse. And besides, the only bad sides of it is the Smash character communities (due to excessive trolling on the stage), Wii Fit U (completely as off topic and bad as the old Smash community, and basically all communities for bad low budget third party games (Especially the Spongebob and Pac-Man pages).

B.H. and DD

Smash Apprentice
Miiverse is kind of weird. All I know is that the more people know about a character, the more likely they will vote and spread the word. If we can get Black Mage to become a trend in the month of September, we will have a fan base as big as Shantae! Not a lot of people are against the idea either, so we can't let this chance slip by us.

Top Bottom