• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Warning: Equipment with Negative stats

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Up until now, for custom tournaments, the quickest way to check to see if someone was using (tourney-illegal) equipment was to simply look at the icon in the corner of a player's portrait. I'm of course referring to the icon that shows boots for speedy equipment, a fist for attack equipment, a shield for defensive equipment, or a mix of those three for hybrid builds.

It has generally been thought that if this icon was blank and white, then the player wasn't using any custom equipment, only custom moves. Sadly, this is not the case, as it's possible to be using equipment and still get that white, blank circle.

While it's true that most equipment will increase your stats more than decrease them, that's only true most of the time and not all of the time. Some equipment that has really potent positive side effects (such as Improved Launch Ability or Explosive Perfect Shield) tends to have a small increase in one stat and a large decrease in another.

If you equip two or three such items in such a way that you have negative stats for Attack Defense and Speed, you'll end up with the blank, white icon. This way, you can have some pretty nice bonuses that no one will ever see unless they check your customization screen. Considering that money and pride are often on the line when it comes to tournaments, the temptation to cheat might become too much, especially if cheating is this easy.

For the Wii U version, the solution to this is pretty obvious: Make sure any Wii U machines have all of the custom moves but delete all of the equipment. You can do this by selling off the equipment or feeding it to amiibos or.. whatever.

For tournaments using the 3DS version, I'm not really sure how to check this except by looking at each individual player's 3DS and custom move set-ups... or by simply turning customization off.

This is posted just a heads up for any TOs who want to run custom tournaments. It's too bad we don't have a "custom moves only" mode since that's what we'd all prefer, but it doesn't look like we have that choice.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Not to put down the purpose of the topic but...I thought this was already known?

If it was, my apologies, but I wasn't aware of it. I was only aware of people using the blank icon to tell if equipment was being used, not that it was possible to hide your equipment simply by having negative stats.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I mean, sure this is possible, but who would actually do it? It's not hard to catch. You have a right to check your opponent's build which might be asked at any time, and if these effects manifest themselves in the fight in obvious ways, the opponent will definitely ask after the fight to check which is not a situation the cheater has any way to avoid. If you get caught doing this, you're pretty much auto-DQ'd from the event, and a lot of TOs will ban you from future events as well for trying to pull that kind of extremely flagrant cheating. An honest competitor wouldn't do it on principle, but I don't think a dishonest competitor would do it either just because it's not worth it to try.

Shog

Smash Ace
Or the simplest solution is to put your Custom movesets from a 3DS version which unlocked everything and can't be edited, alongside a name like "1122" so that both player know which moves gonna be used

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
This is easier on the WiiU version where the full profile GUI (non-shortcut version) lists equipment effects under moves.

This includes the 3DS transfer screen.

It's not an issue at all.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Too bad we don't have a "Equipment: Off" option.
My 1v1 event will just have Customization: Off until that gets patched.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
This is easier on the WiiU version where the full profile GUI (non-shortcut version) lists equipment effects under moves.

This includes the 3DS transfer screen.

It's not an issue at all.
I honestly thought this was known from the start. I think its kind of funny how this 3DS only problem is being pointed out 6 days from the wii u release.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I honestly thought this was known from the start. I think its kind of funny how this 3DS only problem is being pointed out 6 days from the wii u release.
IIRC there was a bit of noise about the differences and their implications before the 3DS release, but yeah it seems everyone forgot about it in the meantime.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I mean, sure this is possible, but who would actually do it? It's not hard to catch. You have a right to check your opponent's build which might be asked at any time, and if these effects manifest themselves in the fight in obvious ways, the opponent will definitely ask after the fight to check which is not a situation the cheater has any way to avoid. If you get caught doing this, you're pretty much auto-DQ'd from the event, and a lot of TOs will ban you from future events as well for trying to pull that kind of extremely flagrant cheating. An honest competitor wouldn't do it on principle, but I don't think a dishonest competitor would do it either just because it's not worth it to try.
This is a good point. I doubt that something like increased launch power would simply go unnoticed, especially among serious competitors.

Top Bottom