• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Virgin tourney goer...tips?

theGreatDekuTree

Smash Journeyman
this forum is tourney discussion, so i thought it would be on topic if all the (non-*******) smashers would give me any word of advice when i go to my first tourney next month.

i know it is late, brawl is around the corner, but really, i dont care.
if people still care about melee, and i do, then we will get together and smash.

ive played all smash games, i am a master of various techniques in melee that can save my *** big time. (short hop, fast fall, r/z cancel, wavedash/landing, chaingrabs, ledge hop, edgeguarding, etc)
heres my few questions...

is there anything i should expect that you didnt when you went to your first tourney?
it is a good sized tourney, 30 people is average there i hear.
also i hear (with tourneys in general) its obviously a stock match, but usually 3 stock or 4?
someone tell me, when you play social matches or "warmups" are these stock matches too?

do you see alot of *******s at tourney? (annoying kids that you just want to ****)

how do you select levels when VSing someone, are you allowed to pick your character after they pick theirs? (counterpick?)
basically in your experience, how do levels and character selection work.

my info: i will play as whoever i can use to counter act my opponent, but if i have to pick first i will play Jiggs, Ganon, Shiek, and Luigi.

if anyone else can add some info i'd thank you,
and if thanks is not rewarding enough,
think if you give me advice it will make you seem alot more wise and experienced.....
(even if i am just as experienced)
but dont be an ***.

(btw this is an east coast tourney)

Sensai

Smash Master
The best advice I can give you is to keep your head high. You're going to do pretty poorly if it's your first tourney...just know that you have plenty of other tourneys to go to and get better at.

Also, they're 4 stock matches. All of them. 8 minute time limit.

S2

Smash Lord
Have fun. Winning isnt' everything and at your first tournament your basically guranteed to lose. I've been to plenty of tourney's and I still get my butt kicked consistently.

Just remember, at this point you should go to have fun. You'll learn a lot by playing better players. Tournaments are fun, bring some friends and have a good time.

theGreatDekuTree

Smash Journeyman
alright, cool, i dont think i will lose EVERY match, i think i may face people who also havent been to tourneys before, but yeah against all the veterans its looking grim, i will just play as many matches as possible to get in practice...fanx yall

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
You probably would lose every match. I mean, I did. Unless the tournament is held at schools and half the players don't even know how to play........

theGreatDekuTree

Smash Journeyman
hah, no, is at a place called "castle golf" which i gather is like a....arcade i think?
yes after googling its like a young adult chuckie cheese haha, as in "mini golf, arcade, go karts(wtf)"

im only there for the smash, and once the smash has left, i to will leave with it.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Hold up, is this a Smashboards sponsored tourney? Or is this a local deal? If it's just a local tournament don't expect to be going up against anyone who knows anything. Utilize L-Canceling to win the speed battle against the inexperienced players and be sure to focus on mind-games. If you can do that then you should be fine if it's a local thing.

However if it's a bigger tourney, go there to learn. Get in as many friendlies as you can, and examine other player's playing styles and habits.

theGreatDekuTree

Smash Journeyman
Hold up, is this a Smashboards sponsored tourney? Or is this a local deal? If it's just a local tournament don't expect to be going up against anyone who knows anything. Utilize L-Canceling to win the speed battle against the inexperienced players and be sure to focus on mind-games. If you can do that then you should be fine if it's a local thing.

However if it's a bigger tourney, go there to learn. Get in as many friendlies as you can, and examine other player's playing styles and habits.

i do use L canceling, especially if im going to use ganon (if i dont there is no hope for survival)
this tourney will have good people at it, it is a big tourney, dont know if its "sponsored" honestly.

the only thing i truly hate is that it is the day before brawl comes out, too bad i couldnt go to more before brawl....i will still go to them in the future if i can though.

edit: btw.... COMPANION CUBE FTW!

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I suppose sponsored wasn't the right word. But if it's been advertised on Smashboards...

And ok, PM me and let me know how you did. ^_^ And yes, Companion Cube will not stab you.

Top Bottom