• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A vid of my Mario, help needed.

Miss Confetti

Smash Rookie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh9ztg6Bi5s

My first smash video, a friendly match.
Mario[Miss Confetti] vs. Link[Onion]
Any suggestions on what I should do and what not to do?
^_^ I need critizing.
Also, I'm currently working on wavedashing and such, I just don't use them in battle unless I can actually nail them.

jerry3333

Smash Cadet
don't roll, jump instead to go out of the sheild
don't use taunt with mario
grab more
more fireball
try some spikes

Pine

Smash Ace
lol oh boy where to begin....

dont cape for an edgeguard in that case...not really great vs link
you dont wavedash...
you dont shorthop...
you dont upair blindz...
i think b4 we critique your MARIO you need to learn advanced tactics....

work on those things and then we can see how your mario is...

Zackular

Smash Cadet
First off, I'd say try not to roll as much. There are better ways to edge-guard Link than with the cape, as well. Your method of approaching seems like something to work on, too. Also, second stock, when Link was recovering towards the stage backwards, instead of caping before the forward smash, you should have positioned a sweet-spotted, charged forward smash. No down tilts, either. You need to wave-dash/land more, too.

All in all, practice and you'll definitely improve. I'm sorry for the harsh criticism XD (This is my first time trying)

mario-man

Smash Lord
Okay, here is some qualified adviced. LOL (not really, but whatever)

L-cancel. It is vital. You seem to ShortHop pretty consistently so you could immediately start shffling once you learn l-canceling.

Roll ALOT LESS than you do. In fact, I never do it unless by accident. Too much lag time makes you vulnerable.

Oh, you need to fastfall too.

Don't forward throw or back throw. Down thro or up throw instead. Once you get L-canceling down, those throws can set up combos which are essential to Mario being succesfull at an advanced level. Your Mario is pretty good. Just keep practicing and you'll get it eventually. If it's any consolation, I've only had this game since Christmas and I've already mastered almost every one of these things. :)

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
I shall now repeat what others have already said, because I can.

Less rolling, especially around link. Link's up-B>rolling.

Fast-fall your aerials. You often got punished for your short-hop Nair approach because you did not fast-fall. Though it should be said that the Nair is a great approach move; so good job on using it. Nair basically turns you into a flying meatball of priority.

L-cancel, wavedash, waveland, dash-dance, Jump-cancel grabs, jab-grabs are some of the techs that you need to work on squishing into your game. Get a decent feel for most of them and then record another video to critique; and we should then be able to give you more substantial advice.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Space yourself with wavedashing. Opponents like Link whose hitboxes are mostly separate from their bodies must be approached strategically if you want to succeed. Namely, they must be taken by surprise (hit before they can react, or by a blow they hadn't predicted), struck when vulnerable (i.e., an attack subsequent to one which renders them stunned [a combo]), or simply tricked into creating an opening (a missed standing up-b, for example, could result in a dash-in for a JC'ed grab).

I also agree with everyone else. L-cancel. And not only your SHed aerials, your full jumped aerials as well. Caping is not effective unless timed to connect in the middle or very late into a recovery move. Bairs and forward/down smashes are probably a better option as edgeguarding tools.

Hmm; yes: do some more grabbing.

And try tactics like -

WD into smash.
Dash, Jump Cancel, Upsmash/grab.
Multiple up tilts then juggle with SH'ed uairs.
Use the fireball.
On recovery, Down B (tornado), Cape, Second Jump, Up B, probably in that order too.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Thx for sayin that ChivalRuse. I meant to say it. Learn how to incorporate the tornado for recovering.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
dont cape for an edgeguard in that case...not really great vs link
It doesn't work that great as an edge guard but it does set up Link for a Fsmash...

I know the Mario vs Link match-up quite well so once you get some more of the advanced techniques down I will be able to give you more advice look forward to seeing future vids

Tujex

Smash Ace
I'm probably just going to say what everyone else has said but...

-Try to short hop your aerials a lot more. Most of my Mario's offense comes from SHFFL'd aerials.
-Use the Bair a lot more when trying to keep the opponent off the edge. The cape is good for stopping certains characters recovery (Like C.Falcon, Fox.Falco, and Ness for example)...but against characters like Link it isn't going to be much help.
-Try not to roll as much. Rolling is okay in certain situations...but spot dodging and wavedashing will allow you get a lot more out of your Mario both defensively and offensively.
-I tend to use my Fair a lot to setup combos, and to Spike opponents when they set themselves up for it. Don't try to force this move though...cause if you miss the L-canel your done for.

But I'm only mediocre at best XD. But these are things people taught and showed me back when I started playing with Mario.

Miss Confetti

Smash Rookie
..sheesh.. I got alot of advice.. now I gotta crack down and get workin.
thanks to everyone for all the advice too.
erm.. a/s/l..
13, female, residin' in VA Beach.
Eh, I haven't been playin' for long, but chyeah.

Eggz

Smash Hero
erm.. a/s/l..
Ouch, too bad. No Eggz McLovin for you. LOL

Just watch a lot of videos of pro Marios liek...me? Yeaaaah.

Watch vids of

Green Mario, Eggz, Silv, Brown Mario, and The Cape

Don't ask whos better, Green Mario and I are tied for best Mario, Silv, Brown Mario, and The Cape are basically retired. No one else has shown much tourney experience to prove otherwise. xD

mario-man

Smash Lord
Don't ask whos better, Green Mario and I are tied for best Mario, Silv, Brown Mario, and The Cape are basically retired. No one else has shown much tourney experience to prove otherwise. xD
Now Eggz, c'mon let's not give undeserved credit here. xD
Sure, Green Mario is good, but man, Silv is the only one that I can see is almost as good as you. Maybe GM needs to record and post some new vids.

Oh, and don't forget me!!! I'm almost as good as Silv. :)

EDIT: Oh, you said he was basically retired, so I doubt that he would record and/or post more vids. LOL EDITEDIT: NVM, I'm going in circles in la cabesa

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
erm.. a/s/l..
There is actually a pretty decent tournament scene in the VA Beach area as far as I know. (I haven't been to any of them personally, because I don't like driving for 5 hours.)

So if you can convince your parents that it is okee-dokee or have them go with you, there are plenty of experience-building tournament opprotunities.

Miss Confetti

Smash Rookie
I'm getting better slowly..
Soon I'll probably post another another vid with my friends.
I'll probably start going to tournaments to get experience with fighting with other people.. I usually watch my friend's tourneys so I'll just go with them.

Eggz

Smash Hero
Now Eggz, c'mon let's not give undeserved credit here. xD
Sure, Green Mario is good, but man, Silv is the only one that I can see is almost as good as you. Maybe GM needs to record and post some new vids.

Oh, and don't forget me!!! I'm almost as good as Silv. :)

EDIT: Oh, you said he was basically retired, so I doubt that he would record and/or post more vids. LOL EDITEDIT: NVM, I'm going in circles in la cabesa
I was better than Silv like a year ago by a good margin, and considering how much I've improved since then, I don't think Silv could stand to like any top players any more. He just hasn't got the metagame developed for it. His Mario is **** at comboing, but hes not the best at thinking and reading people. He is probably 3rd best Mario though LOLOLOL

Tujex

Smash Ace
Meh, I'm going to start going to the biweekly's with Iori and the crew here in TN. Hopefully I'll be able to get some vids while I'm there to post so you guys can rate my mario XD

mario-man

Smash Lord
I was better than Silv like a year ago by a good margin, and considering how much I've improved since then, I don't think Silv could stand to like any top players any more. He just hasn't got the metagame developed for it. His Mario is **** at comboing, but hes not the best at thinking and reading people. He is probably 3rd best Mario though LOLOLOL
Yer da 2nd best an Im da bets. I'm bttr then U Eggzeronious.

*Laughs loudly into his arm*

When is your freaking combo vid comin out man. It's been like a year.

Eggz

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure it HAS been a year. Wow. I just recorded an hour and a half last night against a falco, I dont know when I'm getting that.

I'm recording more sometime this week hopefully, I dont know. give it another month?

-PM-

Smash Ace
eggz if you wait another month im gonna dropkick a grandma and blame it on you =P

and unknown all that was, was an example of how to throw fireballs up air then fsmash... thats about it =P

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
hmm, you sound a little young to be going to tourneys...i hope your parents will take you..tourneys are fun..i just don't know if i'd feel safe if i were your parents sending you out alone. I'd offer to take you myself except i don't think your parents should be giving you off to strangers .

anyways, since i plan on taking a crew of people from W&M to tourneys in the area that semester..maybe i'll see you at one..

however, the only way i can see you getting to go to tourneys is if you have an older friend of the family or if your parents will take you. Maybe ask for it as a birthday present or something.

Miss Confetti

Smash Rookie
yeah, i have an older cousin and friends i go with, i dont think id be able to go alone.
yesterday i battled my friend's link and i beat him ^_^
this advice really does help and stuff. i forgot to record it though.. er..

Top Bottom