• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A use for the down+B in a combo.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Perform the aerial juggle of u-airs, to down +B in the direction of where they are and do the warp attack. It should kill them off the top of the screen. And the move has decent knockback for Meta Knight. Its more useful when they are directly above you, because if they are to the side of metaknight, you can do shuttle loop instead. But, overall this move can kill someone off the top of the screen easily.
So, is the Down+B still for noobs? Not anymore. :psycho:

Shears

Smash Master
wouldnt your opponent be able to airdodge or DI when you begin to use the downB? its not a very fast attack and the time it takes should give a skilled player the opportunity to escape, or even attack you. the downB doesnt have a large hitbox so its going to be tough to hit.

good idea, it will take alot of practice and downB mastering to land the hit, it will look cool and be a quick kill, but i dont think it will be as practical as an upB or even the tornado. i mean ive thought of trying to use the downB at the end of a combo when ive knocked them too far to reach with any A attack but i feel the drill rush, tornado, or shuttle loop will be a better choice. get a vid up though, it will look wicked sweet.

GiantKiller

Smash Cadet
Never been able to pull this off myself. The second I do, it's going in a combo vid.

While this should never be a go-to kill move, as it would become predictable and therefore extremely avoidable/punishable after the first or second time, there's nothing wrong with keeping it in your bag of tricks (assuming you can actually get it to work).

-GK

Skazryk

Smash Apprentice
They could air dodge, but usually if you do it well enough then you should be able to get it in before they are able. or if you cannot do it and they are still able to dodge then wait till they are finished and then time it to hit.

Shears

Smash Master
i think youre better off using the upB, neutralB, or forwardB to KO over the top instead of the downB. honestly theyre all easier to hit, theres less of a chance they could airdodge or counter it, and it will have more knockback and a better chance to KO. downB still seems useless to me.

ollenberger121

Smash Apprentice
upB ...PEH.....that move is so randome when trying to kill off the top ...never recomend it to anyone....... now the nB.....thats the one with awsome priority rite ? ...and that last hit that knocks em of the top ,insta win ...but that downB never thought of it brainwashed that its usless...

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Well it is hard to hit with. I did manage to pull it off in a metaknight ditto match. And the u-air to down+B combo doesnt work as great as I thought it did. Your opponent would need high %. 100% or higher for you to pull that combo off since u-air doesnt have much knockback. It is awesome to pull it off but you would have to be a master at prediction to pull it off. I use this move mostly for spacing.

Synerate

Smash Cadet
I personally love the Down B, it just akes some time to master, off wifi. I wouldnt do it too much on wifi unless i was certain to how far and when to use it ^^

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
@CaliburChamp: You could try timing a Down-B in place so that you hit them as they fall back into you. It would be much easier to hit with at lower percentages.

It's a nice idea, but I think the point that it's difficult and easy to dodge has already be stated enough. It's usually much better to use a Tornado if you really want to pop them off the top. Generally, however a fair/nair or Shuttle Loop to edge guarding is the best follow up.

R3v3nant

Smash Cadet
It would be difficult to land it just right and downB is too slow to hit them before they regain control and can just air dodge. If you are able to do this consistently post it on Youtube in a combo vid.

El_Komosutro

Smash Journeyman
the only consistantly practical use i've found for the down-b is for it's stall properties on the edge. it's few invincibility frames combo with the ledge invicibility and instant sweet spot for some real jerk off time.

If you want to hit with the down-b, use it as your opponent is about to land. So for a combo, I'd say low percent dair to down-b, maybe? Ground will protect you by stuffing attacks meant for you and causing lag from your opponent trying to hit you. You can also do it early to force an air dodge, but they can hit you. Or you can do it late to stuff the start up of almost any attack (besides sheildgrab) or escape route.

I know shears will probably say that it won't work with good players,(he says it in many threads where down-b is mentioned) but the good players actually have to practice punishing this (which only a few will do) before finding a viable way of punishing this strat (especially if you use it rarely). Because you have too many options for them to risk an attack, especially when they are at high percents and you aren't. Besides, who really uses down-b anyway, this is just how I hit with it when I feel like being a jerk...

Laterz...

Shears

Smash Master
downB doesnt work against good players!!!!!! jkjk

i do use it, but very sparingly, only to space myself out or try and get around a shielding dedede and land a grab or usmash, almost never for attack. even with those options i still rarely use the downB. the good players, will know how to punish it and will catch you when you use it if you dont use it just right. ive tried faking out chillin with it, he just knows how to read it too well and if i dont get it perfect he gets a free smash.

RazeveX

Smash Ace
if you want to kill, up B is your best shot. neutral B is good against CERTAIN CHARACTERS and CERTAIN PERCENTS, but if they happen not to be at those percents, any decent player can di out of the tornado and meet you on the ground while you are in fall special. Characters like jiggs and luigi are hell to keep in the tornado.

but if you want to combo, fair and bair do nicely.

Top Bottom