• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Suggestion for the Strategy Pokedex -- Please Read and Comment

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
--Introduction--

It's been noted several times that the Strategy Pokedex has been growing slowly; there have been no updates in almost 2 months. The normal response to this is that we need to spend time testing different sets before we can make a thorough and accurate Strategy Dex entry. While this is true, I believe we should have at least some basic sets for the majority of pokemon so that new players can at least get some idea of how to use them. After all, something is better than nothing.

Now, I realize my idea will be disliked by many, and I'm sure that there will be some opposition to this plan at first. If you bear with me and read through this whole post, I believe we'll all be able to agree that this plan will help.

--The Plan--

The basic idea is to take sets from Smogon (and possibly some from Serebii), reformat them, and put them in the Strategy Pokedex. Now, before you all-out flame me, let me explain my reasoning. Doing so will provide basic sets, strategies, and ideas for people not familiar with the current metagame.

Now, I realize that these sets may not be perfectly up-to-date or the best possible options. However, we must consider the fact that these sets are certainly better than nothing. We're starting to generate impatience and possibly annoyance due to our slow pace.

Please read the next section, as it is very important to this suggestion.

--Anticipated arguments against this plan, and my responses--

We can do better than just taking sets from smogon.
Response: As I've said before, the sets are better than nothing. They will provide sets and strategies to players not particularly familiar with the metagame, and will also stifle the complaints about the slow pace of the pokedex. Plus, if we think that a particular part of the entry is inaccurate, we can always just edit it later. Even the sets we've already posted may become inaccurate as the metagame evolves, so we have to be prepared to edit any entry, regardless of whether it is from smogon.

This is a LOT of work. Who is willing to do this?
Response: I am. I've become less active in the Poke Center recently, and that is something I am ashamed for. I'm willing to undertake this responsibility in order to contribute to the community and become active again. I'm willing to accept help of course, but if none comes, I am willing to do all of the work.

But if you are the one who starts all the threads, how can we update them?
Response: I'll just accept PMs/VMs and do the updating myself.

Why can't the people just go to smogon themselves and look up the sets?
Responses: Evidently, many people aren't willing to go to alternate sites. I bet 90% of the questions in the Q&A thread can be answered by quickly looking through serebii/smogon/bulbapedia. But the questions still get asked anyway. I think the convenience and the fact that the sets are on this site will cut down on questions such as: "What are some good sets for this?" And again, it's better than nothing. Additionally, if we come up with new updates for the pokemon, it's much easier to just edit the existing post than make a whole new post. So it should also cut down on some future work that would have to be done if this plan was never executed.

--Conclusion--

I hope you'll see that this plan has many pros and no cons. The only con is that it will take a long time, but since I'm willing to do all of the work, you all won't have to worry about that con. "It's too much work" is not a valid argument. That said, getting some help would be nice. :)

Pros:
+Cuts down on useless questions such as "What's a good moveset for this pokemon?"
+Cuts down on complaints
+Better than nothing
+Cuts down on future work
+Makes the strategy dex look more well-developed

I hope you see where I'm coming from here. If you have some argument against this, please post it in the thread, and I'll try to explain my plan. :)

Also, even if you strongly disagree with my ideas, please do not flame me; I'd appreciate it if we can keep this thread civil.

If most people agree that this plan is good, I will start working on it. If it appears that nobody wants me to do this, I'll just leave the Strategy Dex as it is. If you do/don't want me to do this, please speak up! If nobody speaks up within a few days, I'll assume that nobody is against it, and start working.

WouW

Smash Lord
I don't know if you know, but reformatting sets from Smogon was our general task, not testing out everything on Shoddy or stuff.

So basically your suggestion is to do whatever we were doing but in a more JesiahTEG-will-be-annoyed way.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
As WouW said, it isn't a matter of having to test out things, it's a matter of no one having the motivation to do it.

Also, this whole thing is full of "better than nothing"s. If we're doing these in a way that we'll have to redo them eventually because we half-***ed them just to get them done, that's going to cause MORE work.

We should just start up some motivation for the project again, and maybe stop complaining about how inactive it is unless we plan to do something.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Well if the original idea was just to reformat the smogon sets, then am I not fulfilling the strategy dex's goal by doing this? Should I just start if that is the case?

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I'll help however possible. This does make sense, after all. And if nothing else, then we can use the 'standard' sets as a security blanket until we think of something better. I believe Mow said before that in some cases, Smogon has already achieved the ideal sets, so in that sense we might as well just use them; that way we aren't wasting time with those that are already being ideally used.

Top Bottom