• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Sub-Reddit Smash poll shows interesting results for the Smash Ballot.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
What is this fascination with Shovel Knight? Not trying to be rude or anything. I'm genuinely curious.
2 words.

Artsy omni.

He made Rayman, bandwagoners ensued.

He made shovel knight recently, so take a guess. Not the only reason but i didn't see SK hype until after he made that so its my guess.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
Ice Climbers are in the top 8 :colorful:
Also I do wonder what characters consist of the "Other (please specify)" section...

Brocolli123

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4897-6887-1972
Wow people are stupid, most are these are awful. who the thought that Layton and phoenix weight would fit in smash. As for people wasting their vote on a character in a previous game, they won't be as good in smash 4 than the other games, and it is unlikely we will get this again, so why vote for something we already have. Waluigi? He is an assist trophy so he won't be put in. The only sensible one is bayonetta.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Wow people are stupid, most are these are awful. who the thought that Layton and phoenix weight would fit in smash. As for people wasting their vote on a character in a previous game, they won't be as good in smash 4 than the other games, and it is unlikely we will get this again, so why vote for something we already have. Waluigi? He is an assist trophy so he won't be put in. The only sensible one is bayonetta.
I would add K Rool and the other sensible newcomers to that list.
Also, hello.

Last edited:

Omar_25

Smash Superstar
I'm completely fine with top 5 of that list. Though I would much rather see K Rool than shovel knight, it would still be cool to see him in smash 4.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'm extremely satisfied with the top 15 on this list except Bayonetta *holds up flame shield*, because she's a little too sexual for Smash. So if we get the top 15 except her and "Other", then that'll be a 65 character roster, and I'll still want more. :p

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I'm extremely satisfied with the top 15 on this list except Bayonetta *holds up flame shield*, because she's a little too sexual for Smash. So if we get the top 15 except her and "Other", then that'll be a 65 character roster, and I'll still want more. :p
Save your flame shield for another day.

I would be happy with about 10 of the top 20 lol.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Shantae at 1.43%

I'm fine with this.

Goku at 2%....ah...why does that not surprise me?

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
Wow, very interesting to see Shovel Knight on top! I think he's quite likely if he comes up pretty high on the real thing, Nintendo want to embrace indie games, and this would be a great way to do so. I haven't played the game myself, I probably should eventually, but I think he could be a really fun character for Smash. Still, I'm backing Dixie Kong, Banjo-Kazooie and Inkling! :D

Trav11111

Smash Cadet
I'm just happy Crono was on the list (very low but still on there). Chrono Trigger was such a great RPG. Even though he could be just another sword fighter, I think he could differ by putting in a lot of techs.

shovel knight hasnt even been released in japan. I'd say that is an extremely big kick to his chances.

isn't bayonetta owned by sega or something? *checks* well that seems like it would hurt too.

ice climbers have 3ds issues. snake is a huge unknown.

waluigi is an assist.

rayman is 3rd party as well

of their top 10 only 4 seem to have a chance :laugh: (im putting rayman and snake at no chance as I really dont see it as much as I want them)

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
Oh hey, this is my poll! If anyone still wants to take it, I'm continuing to collect responses from the link in my signature.

I've attempted to average out the results to that reddit isn't dominating them. You can see the top 25 here:
  • King K. Rool
  • Isaac
  • Wolf
  • Ridley
  • Snake
  • Inkling
  • Shovel Knight
  • Dixie Kong
  • Ice Climbers
  • Rayman
  • Banjo and Kazooie
  • Bayonetta
  • Paper Mario
  • Bandana Dee
  • Waluigi
  • Wonder-Red
  • Captain Toad
  • Roy
  • Geno
  • Bomberman
  • Impa
  • Krystal
  • Daisy
  • Sceptile
  • Chorus Men
And percentages, if you're curious. Again, still going on, so take the survey in my signature if you haven't already!

PokéMurio

Smash Apprentice
Nice to see King K. Rool have the lead. He has deserved every single vote.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I do wonder will Shovel Knight's sheer popularity win Sakurai over, combined with his indie game status making for a nice ironic situation to turn it around on him. Kinda like Wii Fit Trainer.

At least Isaac's quite high, glad for that!
Probably not since his game hasn't even been released in Japan. It's likely that his actual results on the poll will be a lot lower. Same for Rayman. As an aside, 40 percent of the 3DS version's sales were from Japan.

Kirbizard

Smash Cadet
2 words.

Artsy omni.

He made Rayman, bandwagoners ensued.

He made shovel knight recently, so take a guess. Not the only reason but i didn't see SK hype until after he made that so its my guess.
Definitely a major contributing factor to a snowball effect on the character's popularity. Although, he only chose to make Shovel Knight after so many people suggested him in the first place. He hadn't even played the game himself until he started that particular project.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I hope third parties don't make it for consideration, as awesome as some of them may be. There are some that are iffy/ debatable/ controversal and I would just like those possibilities left out.

Would be nice to see those Brawl guys like Wolf and Ice Climbers return.

Plus those first/ second party big players like King K. Rool, Ridley, and Isaac.

Heck theres even mid-card first party characters I wouldn't mind like Impa, Krystal, Ray MK, etc.

P.S. I sincerely doubt Bayonetta's chances since Thaja from Fire Emblem had her trophy removed.

P.P.S. Can't stand band wagon characters, they just become so pretentious and annyoing, I just roll my eyes.

Last edited:

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
Waluigi is an assist trophy in Smash 4 why are people voting for him he has no chance? Seeing Shovel Knight is really annoying me hope they pass on all non Nintendo characters that are not veterans. King K. Rool, Isaac, and Bayonetta would be interesting but I still hope he chooses Wolf over the rest. Ice Climbers has no chance either people he already stated he couldn't get it to work on the 3DS.

Trav11111

Smash Cadet
Waluigi is an assist trophy in Smash 4 why are people voting for him he has no chance? Seeing Shovel Knight is really annoying me hope they pass on all non Nintendo characters that are not veterans. King K. Rool, Isaac, and Bayonetta would be interesting but I still hope he chooses Wolf over the rest. Ice Climbers has no chance either people he already stated he couldn't get it to work on the 3DS.
Yes he did, but from what I understand they were good to go on wii u. With more time and dedication I bet the development team can get the Ice Climbers working.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
This is just all wrong though. How do you even say that?

0ni

Smash Rookie
shovel knight hasnt even been released in japan. I'd say that is an extremely big kick to his chances.

isn't bayonetta owned by sega or something? *checks* well that seems like it would hurt too.

ice climbers have 3ds issues. snake is a huge unknown.

waluigi is an assist.

rayman is 3rd party as well

of their top 10 only 4 seem to have a chance :laugh: (im putting rayman and snake at no chance as I really dont see it as much as I want them)
Snake is a huge unknown ? Freaking metal gear has a huge fanbase , and the whole metal gear series selled 33 Millions copys in the world .

Last edited:

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
Yes he did, but from what I understand they were good to go on wii u. With more time and dedication I bet the development team can get the Ice Climbers working.
I wonder if Sakurai tried having the second ice climbers run in 30 fps like Pikmin and maybe have the 3D disabled while Ice Climbers are used.

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
What a boring top 10. The most interesting is Bayonetta.

Shantae needs to get in. She just has too much potential.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I was surprised when I first heard it. Shovel Knight is a great game though. So I can see the appeal. That said, I wouldn't exactly call him the most fitting in spite of how much I like his game. Got to keep in mind that he's a recent character that's so far only popular in the west. Kind of hard to justify that with other Nintendo characters, and third parties with closer ties to Nintendo on the whole.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Oh hey, this is my poll! If anyone still wants to take it, I'm continuing to collect responses from the link in my signature.

I've attempted to average out the results to that reddit isn't dominating them. You can see the top 25 here:
  • King K. Rool
  • Isaac
  • Wolf
  • Ridley
  • Snake
  • Inkling
  • Shovel Knight
  • Dixie Kong
  • Ice Climbers
  • Rayman
  • Banjo and Kazooie
  • Bayonetta
  • Paper Mario
  • Bandana Dee
  • Waluigi
  • Wonder-Red
  • Captain Toad
  • Roy
  • Geno
  • Bomberman
  • Impa
  • Krystal
  • Daisy
  • Sceptile
  • Chorus Men
And percentages, if you're curious. Again, still going on, so take the survey in my signature if you haven't already!
Is this up to date? I am sure there were more votes after your post was posted.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Theres probably going to be like 5 thousand 8 year olds who want goku, even though he was in like 2 Nintendo games that are released on all consoles.

Now I think we're forgetting about the most important character to add, and that's my boy, Pokemon Trainer. Now I was thinking, that instead of having Kanto Starters, how about a region I feel gets almost no love, Hoenn. You give us Grovyle, Mudkip and Blaziken and we'll be good. Similar moveset to the old Pokemon trainer, but fresher.
Please..no more pokemon...and this is coming from a huge pokemon fan.

Unless its dragonite :)

CaptainZer0dew

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CaptainZer0dew
3DS FC
1564-3473-0907
Trudat, especially since all the Charizards I've seen do nothing (Because I see no Charizards anywhere ;-;)

BanginAnglin

Smash Rookie
people vote waluigi, shovel knight, and inkling for God's sake and not Banjo Kazooie, the only true character deserving a spot

Braydon

Smash Ace
1.5% voted for Abraham Lincoln

I detect a high rate of trolls in this poll.

CaptainZer0dew

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CaptainZer0dew
3DS FC
1564-3473-0907
*OFF TOPIC I KNOW*
How is codename steam, I played the demo and I found the aliens took too long for their turn.

Back on topic,
I voted for
Ice Climbers
Snake
Wolf
Young Link
Chrom
and (Jokingly) Shrek

Last edited:

ChainArmour712

Smash Cadet
Theres probably going to be like 5 thousand 8 year olds who want goku, even though he was in like 2 Nintendo games that are released on all consoles.

Now I think we're forgetting about the most important character to add, and that's my boy, Pokemon Trainer. Now I was thinking, that instead of having Kanto Starters, how about a region I feel gets almost no love, Hoenn. You give us Grovyle, Mudkip and Blaziken and we'll be good. Similar moveset to the old Pokemon trainer, but fresher.
Nah, some nice ideas there but I gotta go up to bat for my avatar pic Red!

I guess putting in a different Pokemon Trainer could work, but the thing is that Red is undeniably the most famous of the player characters of the series, both to fans of Pokemon and more casual gamers. Not only was Red the first player character choice, but he is the only one to reappear in subsequent generations as anything more than a passing quote. He's a respected and extremely powerful trainer in the series as a whole and not just one generation, and the fact that he appears at all in HGSS and BW2 is evidence of his fame and importance over the other player characters. This makes him special since besides some recurring trainer npcs like Cynthia, Cheren, and Steven there's not much that carries over between the different stories of Pokemon. Red is an important exception to this trend.

Also in popular culture at large, there's much more common and pop cultural knowledge about Red than any of his successors. Just type in google "Pokemon Trainer" then a space and Red is the fourth option that comes up! He has the most fanart and his battle theme is one of the most popular Pokemon songs. Also, besides being first one and the only player character to return, he is popular as well due to his similarities to Red from the anime (in the public eye, since they are far from the same person). The influence of Red on Ash is even apparent today, with Ash's hat in the current anime being a slightly modified version of Red's cap in FRLG and Brawl. Red is even the focus of lots of the satire comics and videos that people put out on Pokemon in general. So you have the most game appearances combined with the most cultural influence and recognizability, and it's clear at least to me that Red was chosen as the PT in Brawl for very good reasons.

That's not to say another trainer couldn't work, but I wouldn't want it at the cost of Red's spot for the reasons mentioned. Alas, the Pokemon Trainer concept won't appear again at least until the next games due to technical limitations so the discussion's moot really. And to be honest, I do prefer having 'Zard as his own fighter as it gives him more competitive viability via Flare Blitz. Also, it emphasizes Zard's proud nature and control over it's own destiny much like in the anime. And as much as I liked the unique play of Squirtle and Saur, it's kind of hard to justify giving them roster spots even over other pokemon like Lucario and Jiggs.

With all that said, I really want PT Red back in some capacity next game, and was sad when he didn't get an assist trophy, entering/victory animation for Zard, stage hazard, something to recognize a series veteran more than just a trophy. (Wolf did get those badass codecs ya know) If I had a choice, I'd either make him a playable character in his own right or just have him stand by and watch Zard or another pokemon fight like he did in Brawl. I guess if you really wanted you could change the trainer along with the costume color or something like that. But I did want to take the time to explain why Red was selected over the other trainers and why he remains the best potential human representative from the Pokemon universe.

Top Bottom