• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A study of relative position: Anther vs. Needle of Juntah

Dojo Sam

Smash Cadet
A common response to the question, “What makes players good?” is, “They win a lot.” But for any of us who’ve ever received that answer, we know it’s vague at best. I want a more specific answer to this question, myself being someone who would like to become a proficient smasher.

I’m going to start with the obvious traits of good players, then, including the facts that 1) they create advantageous positions from which to attack and 2) they seize the initiative when they have the advantage.

Do you ever have those times in your matches during which you know you have a positional disadvantage, i.e., you know that whatever you do, your opponent can still kick your *** in that given situation? Happened (and still happens) to me all the time, and I became tired of not knowing why that is. Coincidentally, I started watching a lot of videos of pro smashers duking it out with each other and I realized that I experienced the exact same feelings during their matches. I’m pretty sure all of us can sense when someone has the advantage and when someone doesn’t. I’m looking for a way to quantify positional advantages and disadvantages. Why? Because it makes sense to believe that traits of good players can be studied and learned. If we have a way of quantifying and studying the ebb and flow of positional advantages throughout a match, we can find out exactly what good players are doing and what bad players aren’t. It makes sense to say that if someone can keep a positional advantage throughout an entire match, that person will have a much easier time winning.

The best I could come up with was the following rather un-specific system. I’m going to refer to position as “relative position” because then I can be lazy and abbreviate it to RP. Oh, and “relative position” makes sense because the strengths and weaknesses of your position depend on what your opponent does. (If you’re hanging on the ledge but your opponent is dead, you’re not really at a disadvantage, now are you?) But mostly because I’m lazy.

Positional advantage = Positive relative position = +RP
Positional disadvantage = Negative relative position = -RP
No positional advantage/disadvantage = Neutral relative position = nRP

Yeah, I know it might be stupid to go all in-depth and technical with this relative position stuff. But I find it easier to work with these than without them.

OK, so if I’ve wasted your time with that big wall of text above, then I’m sorry for wasting your time. You can stop reading and flame me if you want. If you think I’m a nut but kind of get what I’m talking about, I’ll go more in-depth with this “relative position” stuff below.

So I’m going to take a look at a match between two of my favorite smashers, Anther and Needle of Juntah. By the way, before I begin: No, I do not claim to be a great player, and no, I do not claim to possess anywhere near the skill either of these players have. Both of these smashers would decimate me if we played, and I’m sure many other smashers would decimate me likewise. I’m not trying to criticize either smasher; I’m only trying to discuss positional advantages and disadvantages.

Anyway, throughout this match you’ll see the ebb and flow of what I call relative position. Throughout each and every second there’s some sort of change in relative position, and I’ve tried to comment on each second. (And yes, to prove my point, that whole discussion you see down there is based on only around the first 30 seconds of the match. Crazy, right?) I could be way off with my assessment of various situations, and that’s fine – I think all this requires a little bit of subjectivity. I’m just doing this so you get a picture of what this discussion is about.

This is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzr-sTcejMs

All RP calls are made in relation to G&W’s position. PLEASE DON'T READ THE WHOLE THING -- YOUR HEAD MIGHT FALL OFF

0:03: nRP. G&W is not putting Pikachu on the defensive by dashing first, and Pikachu can’t take advantage of G&W’s initial dash.

0:04, as Pikachu starts his dash animation: -RP. Both characters are in dashing animation and the spacing is too close for G&W to safely execute a SH’d aerial. G&W may be able to execute a reverse aerial rush if he executes right at this split second, but that’d be difficult given how quickly Pikachu starts dashing.

0:04, once both characters are right next to each other: -RP. G&W and Pikachu are way too close, giving the positional advantage to Pikachu. Coincidentally, G&W doesn’t thrive on really-close quarter combat – he is far better when he’s able to dictate the spacing and jump in with a fair or bair.

0:06: -RP. Pikachu is directly below G&W, allowing him to get the u-air jump on G&W. G&W can gamble with a dair, hoping to hit Pikachu if Pikachu decides to go higher than the platform. However, Pikachu knows that realistically G&W is only able to use a d-air at this exact moment, and should be expecting it. So G&W has limited options, and it might not be the best idea to attack from a compromised position. G&W should probably find a way to dissipate the negative RP before launching an attack of his own. That most likely entails getting safely back onto the ground.

0:07, once Pikachu hits the ground: -RP. Pikachu starts dashing, is below G&W, and will soon be able to get the aerial jump on G&W. However, I do believe Pikachu landed just a hair too far away from G&W, thereby slightly relinquishing his positional advantage. Apparently little things like this matter a lot, as I’m sure every split second counts in a real competitive match.

0:08, when G&W is still above the platform: -RP, but just barely.

0:08, when G&W begins the bair: This is so freakin’ close that it’s really difficult to tell. If Pikachu were just a hair closer to G&W his attack would connect first, thereby keeping the advantage in RP. But it doesn’t – G&W’s bair connects first. So I’d have to say this is just barely positive RP for G&W. This decision is helped a lot by the fact that G&W’s attack actually connects.

0:09, once G&W lands on the ground and Pikachu starts the fair: I’m pretty sure G&W loses the advantage in RP here, because G&W lands right next to Pikachu as opposed to landing away at a safe enough distance to not be punished. Most probably G&W should have backed off after about two hits with the bair, because otherwise G&W and Pikachu would land on the ground at a distance too close for comfort (like they do here).

0:09, once Pikachu starts the d-smash: This could be nRP because it depends on whether or not G&W holds the shield long enough to protect himself from the d-smash. If he doesn’t, he’ll be -RP. If he does and shield grabs or something, he’ll be +RP. I think Pikachu would be +RP no matter what had he landed behind G&W, because a d-smash couldn’t be punished as readily.

0:11: -RP. Pikachu has the lower ground, and his fair would be stronger than G&W’s fair. I believe this is because G&W’s fair gets its power when G&W can jump in somewhat horizontally, while if G&W uses it vertically it’ll be more like a tap on the head. Maybe NoJ can confirm this for us. ;)

0:12, when Pikachu starts the fair: -RP, and this is why Pikachu’s position was advantageous. Pikachu was able to jump instantly and use a quick fair, while the path of G&W’s d-air was predictable. Pikachu knew where G&W was going and was able to launch a well-timed attack exactly because he got to see what G&W did first. This happened in a split second, but I’m pretty sure Pikachu wasn’t just guessing here.

At 0:13, when Pikachu is about where the platform is, I’d just like to make an observation. If Pikachu had landed on the platform instead of going through it, he would have lost a bit of RP. That’s because G&W could land right before the ledge and space himself correctly so that Pikachu would not be able to attack him. From a consolidated position, G&W could then launch attacks of his own. You know what they say: You can’t throw punches on your heels. G&W has been almost exclusively “on his heels” the whole match up to here, so giving him a break now would be a mistake. Pikachu would have to stop for a split second (from landing on the platform) and then decide what to do, giving G&W a chance to equalize the RP. However, Pikachu didn’t land on the platform. I think Anther intuitively grasped that he would lose a bit of his advantage if he landed on the platform, so he decided to get back onto lower ground to keep his advantage.

0:14, when G&W starts the fair: -RP. I say this because G&W is attacking out of the air; this attack might not have been -RP had G&W started from the ground and launched his fair. Attacking out of the air means G&W can only land within a certain range of the ground, and Pikachu can take advantage of this fact. He could roll behind G&W, he could walk slightly out of G&W’s fair range and take advantage of G&W’s landing lag, he could hyphen smash if he’s fast enough, etc. In short, Pikachu has multiple options, while G&W has one: land on the ground with lag from the fair. Contrast this to a G&W fair starting far away enough from the ground. Pikachu can’t hyphen smash because he can’t get under G&W; furthermore, he can roll and can walk out of the fair range, but he can’t punish G&W afterwards if G&W spaces correctly.

Observation at 0:14: Pikachu is actually hit with a bit of recoil, not allowing him to take advantage of the landing lag from G&W’s fair. So maybe walking out of the fair range would have been better than shielding.

0:14, when both characters land on the ground: I think G&W has equalized the RP here. Both characters aren’t crazy close to each other, and Pikachu doesn’t have any dangerous or wildly unpredictable attacks he can launch at G&W. At this exact moment G&W has a wide variety of options, and this might help create a clearer definition of RP. Maybe more options (unpredictable path) = better RP and fewer options (predictable path) = worse RP? Right now, G&W might be able to pull off a dash attack or a quick fair, or he could turn back a little and jump in for a bair.

0:15, when Pikachu runs backwards: Again, I think this is Anther’s intuition kicking in. He decides, consciously or subconsciously, that RP has been equalized (and possibly even shifted in G&W’s favor). So he goes to find an advantageous position from which to counterattack.

At 0:15, if you pause right when you hear the sound for Pikachu’s Thundershock, you’ll notice that G&W has already started the bair. Which is bad for G&W, because G&W is a bit too far for his bair to connect. If he goes forward, he’ll likely get hit with a negative RP again because Pikachu can take advantage of his landing lag.

Beginning of 0:16: nRP, but a precarious situation for both characters. They’re not close enough to attack at the moment, but there’s not enough distance between them for complete safety. Generally it’s the first person who makes an aggressive move forward that gets the advantage in RP. Anybody who SH fairs forward first, though, might be at a disadvantage because the opponent can take advantage of the landing lag. If someone walks forward too far, the opponent could run in extremely quickly for a grab or a hyphen smash. If someone moves backward, his opponent could seize the initiative. Like I said, a precarious situation.

0:16, during G&W’s fair: -RP, because G&W’s fair misses (highlighting the precarious situation beforehand) and Pikachu is able to get a Thundershock off.

0:19, when G&W starts the bair: Probably -RP, because Pikachu is technically too far away for the bair to connect. If G&W decides to move back and not go forward with the bair, Pikachu might be able to rush in and take advantage of the landing lag.

BUT, at 0:19 Pikachu runs into the bair and goes flying a little. Now it’s +RP for G&W. He’s on solid ground on a lower level than his opponent and his opponent is attempting to recover from the knockback. Coincidentally, the match takes a bit of a turn at this point.

0:20, once Pikachu is on a lower level than G&W: +RP. However, I think this is only because Pikachu is at the edge of the stage. If I imagined a floor Pikachu could land on, I think Pikachu would have been able to launch a counterattack because he would be on firm ground.

0:23, after Pikachu gets hit with the d-smash: NoJ has dissipated the disadvantage in RP and currently has positive RP. The initiative has shifted to his side. Over the next 10-15 seconds, he capitalizes on the shift of RP and is able to bring damage percents to about equal (57%, 50%) at 0:36.

POSSIBILITIES:
Is it generally better to at least equalize RP before launching an attack of your own?

Common sense: Generally, if your opponent is behind you, you are at a negative RP.

Common sense: Generally, if you are at the edge, you are at a negative RP.

Well, that’s it. My main goal with this is to see if there's any way to explain through concrete terms to an inexperienced player why he or she should perform a certain action instead of just saying, "Play a lot of Smash." Constructive criticism is invited, and intelligent discussion is appreciated.

showmeyagoose

Smash Cadet
this is really smart but no one is going to understand it, if people care enough to improve their reactions they should read this

TriforceCore

Smash Apprentice
It sounds like someones trying to get into the smash back room, lol jk man. Buut seriously what you did is impressive because you where the outside person looking in as opposed to the controlling person who has to undoubtedly do all this in their heads in a matter of nano-seconds. On a side note I think thats is what makes a "good" player.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
You're actually very right about the impact of positional advantage. Oftentimes the ability to maintain positional advantage is just as important, if not moreso than, technical ability. As far as what makes good players good, the things they understand are things that should actually be part of basic competitive play, but are never seen until much later, because they're so much more subtle. I'd say the top three, in no particular order, are DI, spacing and position.

I think it was forward who did a positional analysis of another match in Melee not too long ago.

Waggles

Smash Apprentice
Good post, it seems like I think about thinks like this subconsciously, but have not been able to qualify it as you have. Thanks for the insight

comboking

Smash Master
this is true you can spam 1 move and win 50 matches but that doesn't mean your better

the person who is trying to play like a pro is better because he is not acting so cheap!

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
bro this is reallyl really helpful. i started watching the better players like this. its all about being in a positive or neatural postion.

u said that the opponenet behind u is usually negative position but for me its all about it!!! lol toon links short hop bairs

but yeah good thread i will def. improve

comboking

Smash Master
0:06: -RP. Pikachu is directly below G&W, allowing him to get the u-air jump on G&W. G&W can gamble with a dair, hoping to hit Pikachu if Pikachu decides to go higher than the platform. However, Pikachu knows that G&W is only able to use a d-air, and should be expecting it. So G&W has limited options, and it might not be the best idea to attack from a compromised position. G&W should probably find a way to dissipate the negative RP before launching an attack of his own. That most likely entails getting safely back onto the ground.

yah but the game and watch could move over in thin air and Backair or ForwardAir(depending on which way he is facing) his opponent! this might not work against a smart person but it might work

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Spacing and positioning are without a doubt the most important components of Smash. DI of course is up there too. If anything I think understanding your spacing and positioning is actually more important in Brawl than it was in Melee because you have less control over your movement. In melee it was possible to dash dance to effectively space your moves as well as of course wavedashing. Both of these as well as other manuevers allowed you to control your approaches more and to more easily avoid being punished. In brawl on the other hand, once you begin an approach you're pretty much commited and your movement choices overall are very limited as a whole. In addition, the defensive player has an advantage over the aggressive player due to the very small shield lag and the incredible spamming abilities in Brawl. Studying the pros is a great way to become a better player. I would also suggest new players go back and watch some melee pros as there are a whole lot of lousy brawl vids out there that aren't worth watching because they were released when the game was so new and people were just learning it. KDJ is one of my favorite melee players because he plays so intelligently and is very careful of his spacing.

SketchHurricane

Smash Ace
It's true, jocking for position is the universal factor in all fighting games. If you notice, G&W started using safe fade away aerials after realizing that standing side by side with Pika is mostly a disadvantage (due to Dsmash insanity). He also started staying completely out of Thunder range after that first KO.

But although your on to something with this positioning thing, the real measure of a top player, IMO, is adaptability. That is why NoJ won that match. He got worked on the first stock, but adapted for the win.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
this is true you can spam 1 move and win 50 matches but that doesn't mean your better

the person who is trying to play like a pro is better because he is not acting so cheap!
Playing like a pro doesn't make you the better player. Winning makes you the better player. If winning involves spamming one move, then so be it.

Dojo Sam

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Much appreciated.

It sounds like someones trying to get into the smash back room, lol jk man..
haha, well, I definitely wouldn't mind... :D

Oftentimes the ability to maintain positional advantage is just as important, if not moreso than, technical ability.
That makes sense, actually. I mean, you could have the best technical ability in the world, but you can't utilize that ability if you can't position yourself correctly to use it. Both go almost hand-in-hand, though, IMO, because if you're a good technical player you can usually buy yourself the positional advantage. But here's an interesting question: Is it better to be the best positional player in the world or the best technical player in the world?

yah but the game and watch could move over in thin air and Backair or ForwardAir(depending on which way he is facing) his opponent! this might not work against a smart person but it might work
Very true. Ah, the beauty of Smash.

Studying the pros is a great way to become a better player. I would also suggest new players go back and watch some melee pros as there are a whole lot of lousy brawl vids out there that aren't worth watching because they were released when the game was so new and people were just learning it.
Agreed 100 percent. I think a lot of skills from Melee are transferable to Brawl, especially the ability to position yourself correctly. Yeah, the physics are different in Melee, but all of its concepts of initiative and spacing are extremely similar to those of Brawl.

It's true, jocking for position is the universal factor in all fighting games. If you notice, G&W started using safe fade away aerials after realizing that standing side by side with Pika is mostly a disadvantage (due to Dsmash insanity). He also started staying completely out of Thunder range after that first KO.

But although your on to something with this positioning thing, the real measure of a top player, IMO, is adaptability. That is why NoJ won that match. He got worked on the first stock, but adapted for the win.
Yeah, NoJ made a really good comeback. I also noticed he started using the d-tilt and smashes more often -- very smart.

I've been thinking about this a bit, and I actually see this pretty often. One character starts out really hot, and then the second character is able to equalize and sometimes even win. Is this a psychological thing? Is it purely an adaptive thing? I am waaaaay not sure about this, but it could be possible that some characters have inherent positional advantages at the beginning of the match (like if both characters are standing on flat ground at the beginning of a game). What might also be a factor is how characters usually have different damage percents throughout the game. Like, one would respawn and the other would have 50 percent already. Sometimes the person with 50 percent runs off to the edge of the stage, giving the respawned character a positional advantage, I guess?

But I'm getting just a little off-topic with that. On the issue of relative position, I'm really not sure what to make of it. Would there be any "rules" concerning positional aspects of the game? Is there a more specific way to describe positional advantages and disadvantages?

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
Man, all this sounds like to me is Chess analysis, and I'm all for it.

I have a real hankering to take another match, or maybe even the same one, and apply "tempo analysis" on it. It's the same thing as in Chess: if I pull out my Queen early, and you force me to waste a move pushing it back, you've gained a tempo, and initiative.

I wonder how this analysis would favor the defensive player.

This is off-topic on the surface, but I have to say thanks, I wouldn't have had the balls to do chess-like tempo analysis if this didn't go over so well.

That'll do Sam, that'll do.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
This entire post can be summed up with the following statement:

CAMPING IS GOOD

Thank you. That is all.

rofa

Smash Journeyman
lol, this post indeed made my head spin. having been there in person for the match, i can say that one of the things that joel seems to do so well is stay calm and devise on-the-fly strategies to win. on the other hand, anther uses crazy techniques that **** with people and get them off their game. two very different strategies, but both work well. I think part of the thing that makes these two so good is that they have these unique play styles.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Technical ability isn't going to be worth much in Brawl because there just plain aren't that many technical skills to learn. Most "Advance Techniques" are character specific and don't require the insane precision that say learning a technical Fox in melee did. Therefore your mental game is going to be more important than ever. Being able to adjust to the situation is always important. In my own game one thing I've noticed is that when I get ahead by a stock or two I tend to play worse in general. I think that it's a common mental reaction that when one thinks they're ahead they tend to relax mentally somewhat which can lead to comebacks by the opponent. Something to watch out for.

Dojo Sam

Smash Cadet
heh, sorry if the material was really dense. I tend to get carried away with my random writings. :laugh:

The OP is way to long and boring to read. I'll make an abridged guide of it.

"Joel is 2 good"

DONE
qft. Same goes for Anther, f'sho.

I have a real hankering to take another match, or maybe even the same one, and apply "tempo analysis" on it. It's the same thing as in Chess: if I pull out my Queen early, and you force me to waste a move pushing it back, you've gained a tempo, and initiative.

I wonder how this analysis would favor the defensive player.
I'd like to see an analysis like that. My guess is that the defensive player would be disadvantaged. IMO, there's nothing inherently wrong with a defensive style, but I think a defensive style tends to allow tricky opponents to force mistakes... which leads to a diminished ability to K.O. the opponent. Kind of like the fact that nobody can win in chess without going for the enemy king, I guess.

I think good Smash players know intuitively to fight for the initiative. Like, they know they're on the defensive but try to find a situation where they can reverse the situation.

I totally get what you're saying with tempo. Now, if there was a way to describe changes in this initiative... that would be awesome.

jubelio

Smash Rookie
One reason I like this game is that each character has their own hot spots as far as positioning goes. It reminds me of baseball cards in the early 90's that came with a graph on the back depicting where the batter had higher/lower hit and slugging %'s. While most characters share similar hot spots, I dont think any have completely identical ones. I tend to agree with the move away from technically difficult moves to execute because it gives rise to the importance of your character's hot spots and correctly matching them to your opponent's less defensible positions.

Regarding tempo analysis, it almost seems as though each character should have a tempo rating, as far as how susceptible to tempo mistakes they are. Some characters whiff an attack and open up a huge window that you can punish them in, other characters can do the same and escape without a scratch. Of course a lot of that would have to do with proper move selection, but there is still a difference from character to character. Even going further, a character with a slightly slower tempo rating has to be very careful about those punishable attacks. Look at G&W for instance and particularly his fair and almost every time it is used in the video, he must DI away from pikachu and thus retreat and surrender a small amount of tempo to his opponent or else lose some relative position. It seems like when choosing tempo vs position you would always have to choose position for brawl. Maybe the larger +RP you have, the more you can spend on an attack with a high tempo cost.

Apologies for being long-winded. this is a great thread, and please take my opinions with a grain of salt as I have very little competitive experience in this game.

Top Bottom