• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A shocking development

Volt@ge

Smash Cadet
NNID
Selybe
3DS FC
5112-4219-4625
Hey Smashboards, Volt here! I'm an avid Pikachu player (if it wasn't already blatantly obvious :p), and a smasher who's only recently really gotten into the true player vs player end of the spectrum.

I didn't play Smash 64, but bought Melee upon release, as it seemed like a fantastic game on a console that I continue to love to this day. I played a bit with friends in my neighbourhood, but was vastly unaware of the competitive scene, merely playing it as a party game, Hyrule and Pokéballs ahoy! (shock horror.)

Along came Brawl, this time aware of the competitive aspect to the franchise. Unfortunately, most of the friends that I'd played with in my area had moved on, no longer interested in such a game. That coupled with the poor online play left me with many hours of play against Level 9 Donkey Kong. On FD nonetheless, because clearly I was so good at the game. ;)

I learned about Project M, but again. I've never even thought about attending a tourney, there was nothing near me to enter, so I could do nothing but knock about AI (I'd now expanded to Donkey Kong AND Marth, I'm so versatile). I got down my basic techniques, QAC was especially fun, and I'm still mourning the (mostly) loss of it now.

Then came Smash3DS, and with it the first chance I got at a proper online experience. Well... only if you literally sit on top of your router, but online nonetheless! I sped through the unlockable characters doing nothing but For Glory, the 3DS controls coming mostly natural to me. I was never a technical player, I'd had no real reason to be, so I didn't feel particularly held back by the handheld's controls.

Pikachu in hand, I quickly realised that I'm absolutely terrible. AI are predictable, they seldom adapt, if at all. Against real players, even the simplest of mix ups completely threw me. It didn't faze me though, and I'm still going at FG with hopes of improving. After about a week I've climbed from my initial 30% winrate, to about 45%, so I'm happy. My reads are improving but my hands still like to ignore me. I can tell from a mile away when that Shulk is going to vision, but god help me if I'm able to play around it. It's frustrating, but all part of the curve I suppose.

I picked Pikachu because I love the combo, momentum oriented playstyle; he's remained pretty true to it over the years. I'm struggling at times to net the KO with him, and whilst his kill options feel somewhat nerfed, I'm sure the fault is more with the play than the character himself.

All in all, I've decided to join Smashboards as I improve at the game, and perhaps take it a bit more seriously with regards to developing my play. Having likeminded people to talk with is always nice. :bee: And with that, nice to meet you all!

Tl:dr, hi, I'm here and I'm bad, nice to meet you.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Welcome aboard, hope ya have a good time :3

If it makes you feel better, I have a huge hard time playin against Pikachu. But all in all, I'm sure you'll improve....

if I may, though....why only Level 9 DKs? XD

Volt@ge

Smash Cadet
NNID
Selybe
3DS FC
5112-4219-4625
Cheers. ^^

Haha, if only, personally Villager is a nightmare, although mostly due to my own ineptitude. That said, with Pika's KO potential being a bit eh, and Villager being completely ungimpable, that might be my issue. :p

Poor DK, the AI didn't make particularly good use of his air game or DI, that combined with his relatively laggy ground options and huge hitbox made walking all over him pretty easy as Pika, and by extension made me feel like I wasn't total garbage at the game. :D

Needless to say I was. D:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I dont think so. A lot of us are stuck at the same level: We own casual players, but we cant hold a candle to true competitive guys.

What's your FC?

Last edited:

Volt@ge

Smash Cadet
NNID
Selybe
3DS FC
5112-4219-4625
Knew I forgot something, will stick it on my profile. It's 5112-4219-4625. ^^

BellaLunaWolf

Smash Cadet
NNID
BellaLunaWolf
3DS FC
5026-4611-0782
Yooo! Another Pika main! Hi there and welcome to the community.
I'm new here, too. :pikachu:

Volt@ge

Smash Cadet
NNID
Selybe
3DS FC
5112-4219-4625
Haha, hai! ^^

Thanks and welcome yourself. We should go for some dittos some time. :p

BellaLunaWolf

Smash Cadet
NNID
BellaLunaWolf
3DS FC
5026-4611-0782
Okay! I added your 3DS friend code. If you'd like to schedule some matches, feel free to send me a PM.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Im gonna add both yall cuz I never know when I'm gonna need practice against yellow mouse guy. XP

Volt@ge

Smash Cadet
NNID
Selybe
3DS FC
5112-4219-4625
Added the both of you also. ^^ I would say we could try and get some done today but currently my ISP is having a fart in my area and my connection is sporadic, wouldn't want to waste anybodies time with a spotty connection, even though my latency is mostly fine.

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
I absolutely adore Pikachu in Brawl, and in Smash 4 he's pretty fun too despite his nerfs, changes and general difficulty with killing people. I'd love to play some matches though!

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I'd be more likely to be free on wednesday or thursday. :3

Oh and I find it interesting how Pikachu has gone from S tier to A tier to B tier, and he's likely C-tier.

Volt@ge

Smash Cadet
NNID
Selybe
3DS FC
5112-4219-4625
I loved Brawl Pikachu too, QAC was such a fun dynamic that could be worked deep into the combo game. Watching somebody like Axe, QAC so fluently that it can actually be used in lieu of walking/dashing, it was just magical to me.

Feel free to add and shoot me a PM if you want to go for some rounds. ^^ As I mentioned previously, my connection is a bit spotty currently but should (hopefully) be fixed within the next two days. Whenever really. :p

Edit: Tbh, my knowledge on the competitive scene is pretty limited, but personally I wouldn't put him below B tier. I feel like, should customs be tournament legal, it could up his game significantly, just with Heavy Skull Bash alone. Thunder Wave (or whatever it's being coined) is pretty solid, too.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
What's QAC? x.x

Also, it's marvelous to me how amazing Pikachu was in Smash 64.

The thunder tho. Too OP.

Volt@ge

Smash Cadet
NNID
Selybe
3DS FC
5112-4219-4625
QAC stands for Quick Attack Cancel/ing. Essentially in Brawl and Project M, there's a certain frame window during landing out of a Quick Attack (into the ground or a platform) in which you can input a jump or aerial command, and Pikachu would execute it completely lag free, obviously resetting his jumps and QA usage. It afforded him absolutely insane mobility with regards to follow ups and mind games.

In smash 4 the ability to QAC on flat ground, as far as everyone seems to know is gone. However, if you land near the edge of a platform or the stage, it functions as it used to, allowing a lag free follow up out of the landing. So to an extent it's still possible, although slightly more situational. Sloped platforms also allow it as normal, as seemingly it does for other techs for different characters. :p

Thunder was glorious, rip Thunder. D:

Last edited:

BellaLunaWolf

Smash Cadet
NNID
BellaLunaWolf
3DS FC
5026-4611-0782
Hehe.. yeah... I think they nerfed Thunder because kids were spamming it too much or something. It used to be a fairly decent kill move at certain percentages, but just ain't the same anymore. I don't mind the decrease in power, however the height of thunder being decreased messes me up sometimes. I still have to get used to spacing it correctly, lest I miss because of its shorter height and leave myself open to counterattack from above.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
It also smashes now, rather than send someone flying.

Also that sounds SO cool.

.....I kinda wanna try it, even though I fail.

-_skinny_-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3668-9841-7290
Hello :) I didnt read anything past the gist :D
being bad means you have a reason to be better :) got whoop some donkey!

Last edited:
Top Bottom