• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Review of Controllers, and how they Affect Diddy

Seppoku

Smash Cadet
What controllers do you use? This is my short critique of the controllers that I have used and my quick review of them...

We will start with the first GC controller I owned, a Gamestop corded controller... they are generally produced by MadCat and have a 5 year warranty. They run approximately 16.99 in the store. These controllers are more durable than some of the others, however the first thing to give was the analog stick. They feel more bulky, take up more room in your hand, and are generally less responsive. The buttons are harder to press down, which makes shielding with Diddy slightly harder than some of the other ones.. Furthermore, to hit a direction for your glide toss with the C stick requires you to REALLY move the Cstick. The Pros: it should last at least 6 to 8 months with daily play, will move the direction you use it.
Cons: less sensitive, bulky, harder to land fast arials, shield, and dribble.

Second Controller I bought was another Madcat, but this one was more compact, clear, and had grips on both sides. I bought this from Gamestop again and it cost me 19.99. This controller was corded, and worked quite well for a while. The buttons were closer together and the movement was more smooth. Shielding and grabbing were a lot easier. However, the first time i dropped this controller was the first time the grips popped off and left me in the dust. This one comes with a warranty of 5 years as well (but keep in mind that you have to pay for shipping and handling both ways and it is usually just cheaper to buy another one).
Pros: faster movement, Easy dashing and dribbling, looks cooler
Cons: will break...fast

The Third controller: Gamecube Micron Wireless 2.4 GBZ controller. 16 dollars @ amazon This is the smallest GC controller I've found to date. The movement sensitivity is spot on. It runs on some double A's, and will auto turn off in 5 minutes without action... this is sometimes a bad thing b/c if you hit the direction key before it comes back on... your character will move in that one direction without stopping.. the same is the case if you plug it in while holding the direction key. Furthermore, the controller will not work in the stage selection screen. This controllers Cstick will not work for more than a week... So dribbling and Glidetossing will be next to impossible to control.
Pros: best for quick movements, chaining arials, ground game, small and easy to carry
Cons: breaks too quickly, uses batteries, C Stick SUCKS

I've used a Gamestop controller similar to the 3rd controller mentioned and as soon as I opened it out of the box I was having issues with the thing. The controller sucked up batteries at an unbelievable rate, and by the time i finished with one session of play i'd have to replace them.

Final Controller: Standard Issue GC controller by Nintendo. 19 dollars on Amazon The only one that has actually been worth the buy. Drawback is, its very big.. Harder to land faster moves when the buttons are more spread out. Least it works and won't give you trouble in the middle of any match..

thoughts?

DFEAR

Smash Hero
the original nintendo gcn controllers. i buy a new controller once my c-stick/L starts getting springy

ice_cream_man

Smash Journeyman
Springy? Like it snaps back to neutral to quick? Or do you mean less springy? I've had my controllers for about 3 yrs and they're fine.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
yea i met less springy like when i press L it sometimes just doesnt back back to neautral cuz i like pressing it hard in the non "thats what she said" kinda way. but now iv taught myself to not abuse my controller haha

kam11

Smash Rookie
The Third controller: Gamecube Micron Wireless 2.4 GBZ controller. 16 dollars @ amazon This is the smallest GC controller I've found to date. The movement sensitivity is spot on. It runs on some double A's, and will auto turn off in 5 minutes without action... this is sometimes a bad thing b/c if you hit the direction key before it comes back on... your character will move in that one direction without stopping.. the same is the case if you plug it in while holding the direction key. Furthermore, the controller will not work in the stage selection screen. This controllers Cstick will not work for more than a week... So dribbling and Glidetossing will be next to impossible to control.
Pros: best for quick movements, chaining arials, ground game, small and easy to carry
Cons: breaks too quickly, uses batteries, C Stick SUCKS

CrAzYdRuNk

Smash Cadet
I notice how most of your controllers are 3rd party. You might want to try getting some used 1st party, because those last longer and work better.

I have a Wavebird for casual play, and of course the original wired ones for more serious/tournament play.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
Use the first party ones obviously. If you have the money for the white ones then get one of those. They are sexy. I got one :]

Tachyon

Smash Cadet
Cedar Hill, Texas and Hawkins, Texas (college)
This topic title has lied to me. I read this thinking that it would be about GC controller, Nintendo Classic controller, Wiimote solo, and Wiimote+nunchuk controllers. Instead it's about Third party controllers, mostly mad catz, and how they suck. Out of all the bad Third party controllers mad catz has a reputation for being made of immense fail.

Oh well. There goes my discussion about Wiimote+Nunchuk.

_clinton

Smash Master
This is a very nice read...even if it is common knowledge IMO...and useful info for any character

I've gotten a certain GC controller for $10 before...fun fact...it sucked (The 2nd day the control stick was too annoying) I'll add to this when I get home...

Top Bottom