• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Reminder for Recovering - use B-AIR!

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
I debated whether to post this, and then then decided that someone probably does not know. Credit to Ulveo...

Using Aerials For Recovery: VIDEO PROOF ~

VIDEO PROOF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qAVsFk9Eug

I would assume this is common knowledge, but I rarely ever see this done by anyone except high level players. And to be quite honest with you, a lot of high level players don't do it either, hence why I am posting this. This method of recovery aid improves your chances of survival significantly, and may help your character to live anywhere from 8-12% longer than normal.

If you are struck with an attack and sent flying, using an aerial attack will help slow down the momentum you're being carried at and help you to avoid being tossed into the blastzone. This is done by allowing you to regain control of your influence in the air.

Facts:

1) The faster the aerial used, both on start up frames and cool down frames, the better. If a characters Fair and Bair have the same start up at lets say Frame 5, but the Fair ends at Frame 18 while the Bair ends at Frame 26, the Fair is the optimal choice to use. On the flip side, if both aerials were to end at the same Frame rate, but the Fair started sooner, you would want to use the Fair as your aerial of choice.

2) Specific aerials are not required for a particular direction you are sent towards. If you are sent straight upwards, you would use the same aerial attack to help you survive for that character as if you were sent straight side ways. Direction does not matter, just the aerial you use, which as stated above, should be your fastest for start up and cool down frames.

3) You should only use the aerial once. During the time an aerial is used, you are helpless, and being carried in the same trajectory you may die from. Once your aerial attack finishes, you can regain control of your influence, as well as the ability to perform any other action in the air, in order to help you live. However, if you spam the aerial and use it more than once, you will extend the amount of time you are unable to control your character, and may go into a blastzone as the result.

4) Aerials with momentum altering traits do not offer you any special benefit whatsoever as opposed to other aerials. During the time you are lingering in hit stun, these aerials lose any special characteristic they have normally, such as Lucarios stalling Dair, or Toon Links fast fall Dair. Because of this, they may work the same or worse compared to other aerials which might in fact be faster. Point is, if you have a faster aerial to perform, do not use them.

5) Aerial attacks and Air Dodging are the only actions you can perform while sent flying. This also means that Specials cannot be used until you have regained control, and thus cannot be used the way aerials can.

6) Jumping helps to stall momentum (more so with certain characters than others) the same way your regular aerial influence does. Thus in certain circumstances, it can be useful and sometimes necessary in order to survive an attack that would otherwise kill you, along with your aerial attack. However, it isn't always necessary, and should only be used if your character is capable of returning to the stage or if you would die otherwise.

7) Air Dodging sucks. Don't use it.

Point being? USE YOUR AERIALS FOR RECOVERY. Remember that old habbit we all had back in March where everyone used Airdodging immediately after attacks hit you because you thought it did something? Replace that with aerials and you're good to go.

I decided to watch this match and see if any top-level smashers use this. Apparently, they do.

Basically, use Kirby's b-air (fastest aerial) once to regain influence over Kirby. According to the post, this helps Kirby survive about 10% longer than usual.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Yeah, I was gonna say, isn't back air faster? I generally use fair too, but that's only because my front is usually facing the stage, and I thought you had to c stick the opposite direction from the blastzone, but I guess I was wrong. I also have that airdodge habit, and I don't know why. But lately I've mostly been doing aerials directly after being hit...which can be a bad thing to do if you're at a low %.

A couple questions...does it matter if you use the C-stick, or is it the same effect as hitting A? Obviously if Bair is Kirby's best one to use, the cstick is the waaaaay better option since you'll have to tilt the control stick towards the blastzone using A.

Also, I read somewhere that if, for example, you got knocked upwards, you would want to DI left or right, whereas if you got knocked horizontally, you would want to DI up (or down?) while using your aerial? This goes hand-in-hand with this topic, right?

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
b attacks cant be used until after hitstun is over. A bair will end your hit stun early giving you the ability to jump earlier and have more control over your movement in the air. And asidoh those are generally correct but just remember you want to DI yourself so you go towards the corner of the blastzone for maximum survival.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
x_x not you too...

And B moves don't work right away, it says it right in the quote of the first post

edit: here it is:
5) Aerial attacks and Air Dodging are the only actions you can perform while sent flying. This also means that Specials cannot be used until you have regained control, and thus cannot be used the way aerials can.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
I should probably change the title if b-air is faster.

Does anyone have frame data for those two moves?

PinkMarshMallow

Smash Apprentice
Bair ( Lag: Short/Medium/Short) but Uair (Lag: Short/Short/Short)
both have short start values and short end lag - you can check this at T!mmy guide
now all we need is some testing =.=

chaos_

Smash Journeyman
i was using f-air recovery for marth i think its better than metaknights tornado

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
uair and bair seem really close but I am pretty sure that bair is faster. Uair takes awhile for the hitbox to fully sweep around.

And now that you edited the original post my first post seems dumb lol...

zippo074

Smash Cadet
THANKYOU! I always do this, and people think I'm completely ******** or my wi-fi has crazy lag or something because I'm bairing Like right beside the boundary line back to the stage... I never knew it actually worked as in chances of recovery.

Top Bottom