• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Question To Any Japanese Smashers here.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Is there any particular reason 80% of Japanese players I come across leave the room before we even fight? Dont think I'm accusing or generalozing anyone here, maybe you know someone who may do this, but seriously, I had an instance where I was waiting for a match for 7 minutes because I kept getting Japanese players who backed out the second they entered. I stopped counting at the 15th player until an American player showed up and battled. This happens a lot.

I mean, I can GUESS why, maybe they're hesitant about the quality of the connection/opponent since I will openly say that American players tend to have the higher ratio of bad connections and dirty players (You know I love you guys though, really), but I just wonder if there's some reason that may have been mentioned here or there.

Sorry if any of my wording here came off as offensive, I'm horrible with word choice. :4diddy:

nubilepoopile

Smash Cadet
I don't think I've ever had a connection issue with a Japanese player, actually. I notice too, because I figured that's the reason they always quit out. I think Japanese gamers might just generally dislike Western gamers. :/

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
The most likely reason is that they do not want to chance playing someone out of their region due to lag concerns. I guess try to avoid times when Japanese players are abundant online.

Kai_64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kai9001
I've had some Japanese players stay for at least one game. I hardly ever have lag against them. But I would imagine it has to do with lag concerns

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
They leave due to latency. They're obviously going to get a better connection if they fight someone in their own country instead of going outside of it. I've lagged against Asian players and I'm sure they have lagged against me. Not everyone, but some.

link2702

Smash Champion
honestly I do this against most japanese players myself anyway. For the reasons others have already stated, its far more likely that you'll run into lag issues dealing with japanese players(or players from any other country) then if you play people from your own region.

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
I think japanese people have amazing online connections. Almost every match i play with a japanese is lag free and half of the matches i play against american people are laggy as hell.

I believe japanese are used to 99% lag free matches because they only play with other japanese. They probably consistently get laggy matches with americans and thus think I'm never playing with an American again.

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
I'm not Japanese but I'm close to Japan. I rarely play FG but when I do, I try to play mainly with Japanese players because the lag is not as bad as when I'm against someone from NA/EU. As a result I usually drop out if my opponent isn't from Japan.

Another reason is that I find Japanese players to be more entertaining to play with than players from other regions.

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
The other day when I went in team For Glory I got matched with three japanese players, who were all 'ready' I might add, and one by one they dropped from the match lol.

I actually do remember a time closer to when Smash initially launched and I got matched in a room similarily above, three japanese players with me as the last to join, and everyone stayed. The match ran smoothly with no lag whatsoever and every game they would all ready up quickly. And for several matches no one would leave haha. The matches were pretty fun and challenging too.

Though it's been a long while since I've experienced a match like that with japanese players since usually most drop out/can't connect etc.

puffypalutena

Smash Cadet
NNID
PuffyPalutena
3DS FC
1736-0501-7736
I'm not Japanese but I'm close to Japan. I rarely play FG but when I do, I try to play mainly with Japanese players because the lag is not as bad as when I'm against someone from NA/EU. As a result I usually drop out if my opponent isn't from Japan.

Another reason is that I find Japanese players to be more entertaining to play with than players from other regions.
It's the complete opposite for me, the Japanese players I get are hell, I swear. Like, 60% of the Japanese players I get are classic FG Little Macs. Downright disrespectful and roll-happy. Am I just unlucky? I live pretty near Asia and wow, I get Japanese players most of the time, and they are horrible, laggy, spammy and disrespectful. However, some nice ones do come around time to time.

Last edited:

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
It's the complete opposite for me, the Japanese players I get are hell, I swear. Like, 60% of the Japanese players I get are classic FG Little Macs. Downright disrespectful and roll-happy. Am I just unlucky? I leave pretty near Asia and wow, I get Japanese players most of the time, and they are horrible, laggy, spammy and disrespectful. However, some nice ones do come around time to time.
Interesting perspective. As you could imagine it's opposite for me.

MaxBowser

Smash Rookie
I always assumed it was because they think we're going to suck and are unworthy opponents. I don't usually have any lag when I have fought them.

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
Also, from my experience, more than half of japanese players i fight are all tourney level skilled players and only like 1 in 10 american players i fight are that skilled. And most americans i fight play like 5 year olds

Its no wonder japanese dont want to bother with us

Last edited:

Optimuspom

Smash Rookie
NNID
Optimuspom
Also, from my experience, more than half of japanese players i fight are all tourney level skilled players and only like 1 in 10 american players i fight are that skilled. And most americans i fight play like 5 year olds

Its no wonder japanese dont want to bother with us
well tell that to 98% I face in smash/splatoon...and I totally own them they are actually easier but they lag its not lag spikes...more like delay during the game

Valterria

Smash Rookie
well tell that to 98% I face in smash/splatoon...and I totally own them they are actually easier but they lag its not lag spikes...more like delay during the game
Well japanese players prefer to play when u are at your best, game lag is alway issue for them.

They do test their lag when it starts. If they see the lag, u see them just jump off

So yes we got common enemy the Lag

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
It's weird how people say that they've never had lag troubles facing people from overseas. In my experience, though not laggy, I have some serious latency issues when facing players that are overseas.

Coro_

Smash Apprentice
I do think it's usually the lag that is the reason for them backing out. I have friends with a JP 3DS and game, and they usually get the JP players to stick around.
As of late I've had less people back out, though

Zionaze

Smash Ace
I fixed the problem of Japanese people leaving the room by changing my name to a symbol rather than a word so that they become unsure if they should leave or not :V

Valterria

Smash Rookie
well yup that's the way to trick some japanese.

But they tend to realize when they start running to jumping towards u.

after that. A instant U-turn! :laugh:

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
Today, I experienced the "50 Japanese entering and leaving before you actually get a match" thing.
In one moment of their entering and exiting dance, they changed their name to ”にほんじん,” which, to me, implied the meaning, "Japanese only," and left. That statement itself was very telling.

So I just put a Japanese word as a tag and then managed to get a few matches with some Japanese people. The surprising thing was there was barely any lag, and with the few that lagged, it was not very bad.

Last edited:

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
This happened a lot to me, I swear I saw like 8 Japanese players in a row leave so fast I swear they just shut their 3ds off. I didn't get why, I just thought they were *** es or little kids, But you opened my mind about why they might be disconnecting.

LMarucha

Smash Rookie
NNID
LMarucha
I fixed the problem of Japanese people leaving the room by changing my name to a symbol rather than a word so that they become unsure if they should leave or not :V
:laugh: I should try that, actually!

LMarucha

Smash Rookie
NNID
LMarucha
From my experience, many times they leave but I played against some Japanese players. The connection is random, from bad to good just like with western players. I've noticed most Japanese players are nice, though. Most of the trolls are normally players that speak English. Maybe my luck just happens to be that way and it was actually different for other people.

LMarucha

Smash Rookie
NNID
LMarucha
Today, I experienced the "50 Japanese entering and leaving before you actually get a match" thing.
In one moment of their entering and exiting dance, they changed their name to ”にほんじん,” which, to me, implied the meaning, "Japanese only," and left. That statement itself was very telling.

So I just put a Japanese word as a tag and then managed to get a few matches with some Japanese people. The surprising thing was there was barely any lag, and with the few that lagged, it was not very bad.
Was it like a random word or a random symbol that you placed for a tag?

Top Bottom