• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Question regarding Non-Tumble hitstun

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
I was testing Squirtle's low percent throw options against fox. Without going into too much detail (as this isn't the point), the sliding from Squirtle's dash grab can allow followups where normal standing throws won't let anything get going. So I was considering options to follow up on fox when there weren't enough frames to do a dash grab (I could grab, but it wouldn't be a chain grab since it wasn't a dash grab with sliding). So at 15% from a dash grab, I could get an ftilt. At that percent, ftilt does not knock down. I wasn't expecting enough frames to do anything, but I was surprised when after reaching the ground, Fox continued his hitstun on the ground. Once it was over, then he went through 4 frames of empty landing lag. Normally (?), if you land during non-tumble hitstun, you go through empty landing lag regardless of how many frames of hitstun were left. I also know the Falco's down air does this, most notably seen in the fox mu in his low percent combos where he dairs before it knocks down and is able to get a shine because they are still in stun on the ground.

Does anybody know when this happens and when the landing lag cancels hitstun?

AuraMaudeGone

Smash Ace
If I understood what went on from the post, It doesn't work like that. Fox is still vulnerable to being hit regardless of being in hitstun throughout your exercise, so you hit him.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Its nothing about if I can hit Fox, its that him hitting the ground doesn't cancel the hitstun. He suffers all the of the hitstun, then goes into empty landing. For example, if fox were to asdi down marth's sour spot dtilt at like 20. Fox goes through hitlag, then immediately goes into empty landing, canceling all hitstun. Also, if I hit him at say 0 (with a hitbox that does 8 percent, 20 bkb, 40 kbg). He is supposed to go through 11 frames of hitstun. He goes through 3.

Magus420

Smash Master
If you're hit with a nontumble hit after the 10th frame of knockback of a previous hit, the nontumble hitstun isn't canceled on landing. Same timings as when knockback between multiple hits can stack pretty sure.

You can see it with Falco's low damage shine d-air on Fox by varying the timing between the shine and the d-air. If you do air shine -> immediate JC d-air it will hit within the 10th frame of the shine's KB so the KBs will not stack (d-air will send full speed downward), and the d-air nontumble hitstun will cancel on landing. Delay the JC d-air a bit instead so the d-air hits after 10 and the KBs will stack (d-air will send much slower downwards by stacking with the upward shine KB), and the d-air stun will not cancel on landing.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
This works with knockback angles that don't stack, too. As ROB I can dthrow-> fair (most characters) or dthrow-> dash attack (spacies) at low percents against DI away, and they'll fall to the ground and remain in hitstun for the full duration, then go thru the additional 4-6 frame landing animation. This is really good for punishments.

Last edited:
Top Bottom