• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A progressive scan Capture card

antpod

Smash Cadet
Does anyone know where I can find a capture card with progressive scan inputs? I just got a reg capture card, but playing non 480p on and 16:9 hdtv looks like ****. Thanks for help. ive looked everywhere but cant find one.

usea

Smash Ace
This question was never answered, but perhaps there is more information available now. I'm also interested in a capture card capable of recording 480p and 16:9 at 60fps. Does anybody have any information about such a card? Thank you :)

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ok, I'm digging up this thread because I'm also looking for a capture card capable of taking 480p. The problem here is that it's hard enough to find capture devices with break-out cables that have component input. And even then, the ones I've seen curiously omit 480p as a capture option. Apparently such devices do exist in the Japanese market, but of course I haven't found them.

Also, I highly doubt you'll be able to capture 16:9 in any kind of 480 resolution. The 853x480 resolution just doesn't exist in any kind of digital media (or if it does, it's highly nonstandard. Either way I've never seen or heard of it). Widescreen in 480 is always 640x480 in an "anamorphic" format, so that when stretched horizontally to fit a 16:9 display, the geometry is correct, although the act of stretching causes some loss of quality on the horizontal level.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
you can capture in HD formats w/ a professional capture card, but those cost more then you're ever going to spend. about 1 semester of school.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
None of the HD capture cards I've been browsing have 480p support. It's a curious omission, considering they support 480i.

With further searching, I've only found one example of a 480p capture card called the Earthsoft PV3. Problem: it's only marketed in Japan. Problem 2: the multi-input dongle seems to only take video inputs through D-Terminal. Whether it works with other break-out cables is anyone's guess. I can't figure out the product support in Japanese. I have asked around though and it's confirmed to capture 480p at 60 fps, and the result is 720x480 videos. Not sure where the horizontal scaling comes from.

http://translate.google.com/transla...esult&prev=/search?q=earthsoft+PV3&hl=en&sa=G

In all my searching of a 480p60 capture card, I've only found that one. I don't understand why 480p is skimped out on.

Killer Tree

Smash Journeyman
None of the HD capture cards I've been browsing have 480p support. It's a curious omission, considering they support 480i.

With further searching, I've only found one example of a 480p capture card called the Earthsoft PV3. Problem: it's only marketed in Japan. Problem 2: the multi-input dongle seems to only take video inputs through D-Terminal. Whether it works with other break-out cables is anyone's guess. I can't figure out the product support in Japanese. I have asked around though and it's confirmed to capture 480p at 60 fps, and the result is 720x480 videos. Not sure where the horizontal scaling comes from.

http://translate.google.com/transla...esult&prev=/search?q=earthsoft+PV3&hl=en&sa=G

In all my searching of a 480p60 capture card, I've only found that one. I don't understand why 480p is skimped out on.

I'm pretty sure all HD capture cards can do 480p

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
You probably won't find anything USB since component 480p@60hz is a lot of bandwidth.

Your best bet is the Blackmagic Intensity for $249 and get a Component to HDMI converter for like $80
The Intensity Pro takes analog for $349 but doesn't do 480p, only 480i. Odd, I know. If there's a 480=>720p hardware component upscaler, you can use that. A Component to HDMI converter should work for the Intensity if it does upscale to 720p.

Top Bottom