• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A pointlessly positive perspective on switching

Ukemi

Smash Apprentice
You know, as much as we hate it, Sakurai nailed switching as far as adapting the Pokemon Trainer to Smash. We all hate how our Pokemon can't last forever, and how switching gives the opponent a free hit. Well, isn't that something that is true of the original game?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
you don't have to use your entire pokemon team against a single wild pokemon. you don't have to swap in a set order, either.

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
Actually, the Pokemon's moves should get stronger when they are fully fatigued. Ever since 3rd gen, every starter has an ability that multiplies its grass/water/fire attacks (depending on which starter obviously) by 1.5 when it has 1/3 or less of its HP left.

DemonFart

Smash Lord
ugh at least give the pokeymanz super armor frames while switching.

the way it is now is horrible. why sakurai what do u have against pokeymanz!!!!

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
Stamina wasn't in the Pokemon games. In Pokemon, your opponent couldn't predict you switching and start charging a move to punish you either.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Actually, the Pokemon's moves should get stronger when they are fully fatigued. Ever since 3rd gen, every starter has an ability that multiplies its grass/water/fire attacks (depending on which starter obviously) by 1.5 when it has 1/3 or less of its HP left.
it annoys me that they gave PT's Pokemon the exact opposite of their in-game abilities and gave it to Lucario, who does not have any ability resembling Aura (other than Reversal, but that's an attack, not status effect).

Ulevo

Smash Master
Pointless thread. Why bother complaining? Just deal with it. Stick to the appropriate Pokemon per match up at the start, and only switch if you feel it is absolutely necessary when an opening is provided.

If anything, you should consider it an advantage for having the option to switch, rather than it being a disadvantage believing you have to. You don't have to, and the majority of the time, you're better off switching automatically when your Pokemon die.

It sucks, but this board should be geared towards better things than discussing/whining about the overly obvious.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
how many threads do you see whining? a year into the game we accept it, although that doesn't mean we don't recognize how ******** the mechanic is.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
i thought this was going to be a serious post about the positives of forced switching, which i am way too lazy to write out and have always hoped someone else would "get it"

if tourneys allowed manual switching/no stamina hacks i wouldn't use it.

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
i thought this was going to be a serious post about the positives of forced switching, which i am way too lazy to write out and have always hoped someone else would "get it"

if tourneys allowed manual switching/no stamina hacks i wouldn't use it.
I wouldn't accept Manual switching ever, but no stamina hacks would be a consideration for me. I probably wouldn't do it though if it required more time.

Syrus_Draco

Smash Apprentice
Pokemon was always about pitching pokemon against each other 1v1 without switching, just having them fight head on to the death! But when it comes to PVP you switch all the time.

Naturally if you get hit when you switch then you're doing it wrong. As a trainer you need to pick up your opponent's pokemon and throw them out the window giving you enough time to switch.

Naturally.

blueshirt314

Smash Cadet
Dang, he should have made it so that you can switch to any Pokemon just by hitting left or right during that switch.

Blitzmidfielder

Smash Journeyman
I don't whine about Stamina. I do think that it was a pretty dead-on punishment per switch thing. The set order thing does bug me, but that would just eat up moveset with multi-switches.

Top Bottom