• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New SSB Brawl Review

dmauro

Smash Cadet
I've written a not-terribly long Super Smash Bros. Brawl review/critique. This is written from the point of view of someone that never played Melee competitively, but loved it as a party game. I wrote this because I felt like most reviews from the usual suspects failed to address Brawl as a fighting game and because most of the intelligent discussion happening here is from professional/competitive Melee players.

If you don't feel like clicking the link, I'll give you the short of why I like Brawl so much:
1) The removal of advanced techniques and toning down of the top tier Melee characters allows non-Melee players to join the fray before the Brawl competitive play get taken to the next level as new advanced techniques are discovered.
2) The new characters are really interesting to me, especially since I could never find a character in Melee that really clicked with me.
3) The lower gravity makes the edge guarding game more fun and accessible for newcomers.

So I hope you'll read the review and comment on it, but please keep in mind that, for instance, when I don't hold fault with the game for having combos it's not because I don't appreciate that Melee players feel combos should be a part of the game, it's because I feel combos impede the enjoyment of the game for casuals/semi-competitive players such as myself.

Thanks.

edit: Dont' pay attention to when my friend introducing the review says I am the best Brawl player. It's just that I've been playing steadily since the Japanese release so I can mop the floor with my friends.

Edds

Smash Ace
hmm good for europe i guess but most people on this board should know about brawl from the 1st day.

dmauro

Smash Cadet
The write up is written as an introduction for the less informed (I still know plenty of people that haven't bought this game yet, but like fighting games and will be very swayed by this write up), but I think there are some arguments for what are the games strengths that might be interesting for some people on this board.

Top Bottom