• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A move new to me

Kenpachi

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone,

I figured out something new to me a while back in training mode. Now, just as a disclaimer, I did use the search function and i didn't have my question answered. Anyways, it has to do with d-throwing falco. It seems that by using the jab move after a d-throw (over 30%), falco will reset and land on his feet, making him open for another jab. This working better than a f-tilt because it keeps him lower to the ground, preventing an air attack.

If it worked perfectly like that, it would be a chain throw. But I would like to discuss it's weaknesses. Can falco shine out of the jab? Is DI a big enough factor here to provide a way out? I couldn't find these things out through experimentation because I am home away from OSU, my family members definitely do not count as sentient smashers, heh.

I'm sure that this is an old topic to some people, but its that knowledge i'd hope to draw from. Any discussion on this topic would be a great help to me. and for the record, i used "falco", "jab", and "chain throw" as my search key words. I learned the term "reset" from this search.

~Kenpachi

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You can do it to many characters. Hell, if Falco's at a high enough %, UTilt can get him out of tumble, as well.

brickman

Smash Lord
You are not addressing the issue that human DI. That only really works on computers, play some people and you will see, doesn't really work that often, or really at all.

Kenpachi

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the input guys. I figured it would be the DI that would mess something like this up. I should really just get better at tech chasing (i usually react the wrong way or react to slow and get attacked).

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If you're slow to the tech-chase, don't go for an attack immediately anyway. Do a dash-dance or pulse-walk to draw out their counter (a spotdodge or down-smash, usually), then punish it.

Jayp112089

Smash Rookie
good question wat the hell is a pulse walk if it steps my sheik game up ill use it in a heart beat like tonight ill work to perfect the SHFFL techniques with all her air moves but i dont mean to get off topic which AIR move would prove more useful with her SHFFL technique since her mini jump is way higher than all the other characters i thought possibly all her moves could be used in rapid succession with it and please if your a prick dont bother saying why didnt u use the search option

Kenpachi

Smash Apprentice
I got that question answered later, this is quite an old thread. anyways, a pulse walk is the process of dashing toward and enemy and wavedashing backwards to try and draw out an attack from your opponent. this term was coined by a fox player, apparently. either way, alot of people do this already without knowing what its called

Ares726

Smash Ace
I got that question answered later, this is quite an old thread. anyways, a pulse walk is the process of dashing toward and enemy and wavedashing backwards to try and draw out an attack from your opponent. this term was coined by a fox player, apparently. either way, alot of people do this already without knowing what its called
Actually, a thread a while back in this forum described a different type of pulse walking. It uses the same timing as dash dancing, but you dash the same way repeatedly. I'm not sure which one you're talking about though. Dash forward->wavedash back is way better than the other "pulse walk" in my opinion.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Actually, a thread a while back in this forum described a different type of pulse walking. It uses the same timing as dash dancing, but you dash the same way repeatedly. I'm not sure which one you're talking about though. Dash forward->wavedash back is way better than the other "pulse walk" in my opinion.
Are you thinking of Fox Trotting?

Ares726

Smash Ace
Are you thinking of Fox Trotting?
I believe Fox Trotting is dash canceling your dash (crouching to stop the animation), and then dashing again to maintain the initial dash animation. So a Fox Trot would be dash->crouch->dash->crouch->dash all in the same direction to stay in the initial dash animation. The pulse walk is basically the same thing, but at the thread creator described it, it was dash->dash->dash->dash all in the same direction.

Fox Trotting, dash forward->wavedash back, and "pulse walking" are all just different movement tricks.

LINK TO ORIGINAL THREAD

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
I believe Fox Trotting is dash canceling your dash (crouching to stop the animation), and then dashing again to maintain the initial dash animation. So a Fox Trot would be dash->crouch->dash->crouch->dash all in the same direction to stay in the initial dash animation. The pulse walk is basically the same thing, but at the thread creator described it, it was dash->dash->dash->dash all in the same direction.

Fox Trotting, dash forward->wavedash back, and "pulse walking" are all just different movement tricks.

LINK TO ORIGINAL THREAD
You don't have to down cancel to fox trot, you just have to dash again before the dash goes into the running animation. So basically all you have to do is dash -> dash -> dash -> dash. It works, because it works just like dash dancing, only you don't switch the direction you press the stick.

Top Bottom