• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A lot like Mewtwo???

S0X

Smash Cadet
Ok so I have been looking at a lot of Brawl stuff but barely any of Lucario. I know a lot of people are dissapointed that mewtwo isn't in brawl but Lucario seems like a pretty cool Pokemon. Ive never played the pokemon game he is in so I know nothing about him.

Well the point of this post was to check if Lucario is a like Mewtwo (i mean in Brawl)
Mewtwo was a great character for casuals and had a unique moveset. Does Lucario keep this moveset or does he have his own?

Discuss

Traceur Assassin

Smash Cadet
lucario is really not like mewtwo at all. id say the only similarity is the enrgy ball the both have which is the b move and the fact that when they use their forward smash attacks their hands are covered in an aura of sorts. also the down smash. mewtwo was a psychic pokemon while lucario is a aura/steel pokemon.(i think.:)) apart from that they are completely different characters. lucario seems to be a good character to use in brawl. he combos well and has very nice recovery abilities. plus his attacks increase as his damgae increases so that is also a plus. people that say that he is a clone are just ignorant and can not obviously see the apparant differences. all they see is "energy ball= mewtwo clone." also for the record, even though this is my opinion, mewtwo was not that great compared to the other characters in melee. he was ok to pick up and fool around with at first but eventually got dropped and not used and became unpopular, which is the main reason he is not in brawl!! good call sakurai!!!

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
To answer the OP's question-- yes, Lucario is like Mewtwo in many ways. The basic framework for the character was obviously derived from Mewtwo, as they share more than a few similarities between their movesets. It doesn't take a huge stretch of the imagination to call him the "replacement" for Mewtwo.

With that said, Lucario is not even close to what you might call a "clone". He is quite unique and his general feel and most of his moves are totally original.

JJBro1

Smash Journeyman
the fact that you dont know him proves my point that mewtwo deserves to be in before lucario. Alot of people who've played pokemon dont know who the hell lucario is, EVERYBODY know's mewtwo. He was like the ultimate pokemon and is a staple in the series.

Nibwoddle

Smash Apprentice
the fact that you dont know him proves my point that mewtwo deserves to be in before lucario. Alot of people who've played pokemon dont know who the hell lucario is, EVERYBODY know's mewtwo. He was like the ultimate pokemon and is a staple in the series.
Your logic fails. What's it matter? Everyone knows Lucario now. His movie was the reason he got in, and that's the same case wiith Mewtwo.

IrishSheikah

Smash Journeyman
Lucario is seperate from Mewtwo people! We've all seen the vids! He is nothing like that fetus-like creature Mewtwo. He is not mean't for Brawl or any Smash game for that matter!

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Lucario is "inspired" by Mewtwo's Melee moveset. They have similar smashes, similar aura balls, similar n-air, and Extreme Speed is Teleport just with Lucario visible while performing it.

Layupfreak

Smash Ace
Lucario is how Mewtwo should have been made.
LOL not really. Mewtwo does not look like a fighter, he should have been more heavier and more PSI attacks instead of tail. but still that tail was great for comboes.

Synt4x

Smash Rookie
I'm more concerned with how he moves than his smash attacks. Mewtwo was pretty slow, and... floaty, for lack of a better word. Lucario looks like moves more like... Falco, i guess, than Mewtwo.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Lucario is LIKE M2, a lot like him(really floaty, similar attacks, pokemon, etc...).

Rane

Smash Rookie
lucario is really not like mewtwo at all. id say the only similarity is the enrgy ball the both have which is the b move and the fact that when they use their forward smash attacks their hands are covered in an aura of sorts. also the down smash. mewtwo was a psychic pokemon while lucario is a aura/steel pokemon.(i think.:)) apart from that they are completely different characters. lucario seems to be a good character to use in brawl. he combos well and has very nice recovery abilities. plus his attacks increase as his damgae increases so that is also a plus. people that say that he is a clone are just ignorant and can not obviously see the apparant differences. all they see is "energy ball= mewtwo clone." also for the record, even though this is my opinion, mewtwo was not that great compared to the other characters in melee. he was ok to pick up and fool around with at first but eventually got dropped and not used and became unpopular, which is the main reason he is not in brawl!! good call sakurai!!!
There is no aura type. Lucario's fighting/steel. That's kind of like how when Ike was announced everybody was saying that because he had blue hair and a sword, he is a Marth clone.

JJBro1

Smash Journeyman
Your logic fails. What's it matter? Everyone knows Lucario now. His movie was the reason he got in, and that's the same case wiith Mewtwo.
how does my logic fail? Mewtwo is more important to pokemon than lucario ever will be and he deserves his spot over him. The reason why alot of people know mewtwo and not lucario is because he's well known and important.

redshift71388

Smash Apprentice
Mewtwo was a great character for casuals and had a unique moveset. Does Lucario keep this moveset or does he have his own?
It shouldn't matter anyway, if you're looking for a 'Mewtwo replacement'. Nobody should be playing Lucario just because they were good with Mewtwo in Melee. People didn't play Mewtwo for his move set. He was hard to use and weak from a competitive standpoint. No, people played him because of his character. He was familiar and popular from the Pokémon games. Even if Lucario had Mewtwo's moves, without the character, it has lost all appeal. Unless of course people were fans of Lucario anyway. So in that sense, Sakurai completely killed a unique character and left him without a replacement.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
how does my logic fail? Mewtwo is more important to pokemon than lucario ever will be and he deserves his spot over him. The reason why alot of people know mewtwo and not lucario is because he's well known and important.
How is Mewtwo important to Pokemon? His only real role in any game was being the 'last Pokemon.' And most people know Lucario and Mewtwo; the ones who only know Mewtwo are the ones who've only played Smash.

Mewtwo and Lucario both had a movie of their own, btw.

Eisenherz

Smash Journeyman
No, we do NOT need over 9000 1st gen representatives, especially overrated ones like Mewtwo.

You can't pull that "but he was original omg!1!1" crap because I've been a Pokemon fan ever since R/B/Y, and I never liked Mewtwo. Lucario is my #1 favorite.

Wow, I'm just glad Sakurai made the right decision, that's all.

redshift71388

Smash Apprentice
Well that is mostly your opinion. You can expect other people like JJBro1 to think differently.

Although there is no use for anyone to say who should've been in, because it's too late.

Dark Paladin X

Smash Journeyman
Lucario does not look like Mewtwo. Mewtwo is psychic Pokemon and Lucario is fighting/steel Pokemon and can easily kick Mewtwo's bee hind. If you want a comparison, take:

What makes Chuck Norris and Lucario similar is they both master martial arts, both are quick and agile, relatively popular, and can take down anyone really easily. The only difference is that Lucario is the only one who can master the Aura and Chuck Norris can't, and Lucario lacks a meme. In my opinion, if Lucario were to face Chuck Norris, Chuck Norris would be fried in less than a minute.

Other than that, Lucario is more like a "Pokemon version of Chuck Norris."

Eisenherz

Smash Journeyman
Lucario does not look like Mewtwo. Mewtwo is psychic Pokemon and Lucario is fighting/steel Pokemon and can easily kick Mewtwo's bee hind. If you want a comparison, take:

What makes Chuck Norris and Lucario similar is they both master martial arts, both are quick and agile, relatively popular, and can take down anyone really easily. The only difference is that Lucario is the only one who can master the Aura and Chuck Norris can't, and Lucario lacks a meme. In my opinion, if Lucario were to face Chuck Norris, Chuck Norris would be fried in less than a minute.

Other than that, Lucario is more like a "Pokemon version of Chuck Norris."

Quoted for truth. They also can both slam revolving doors, and can have both feet on the ground and kick *** at the same time.

redshift71388

Smash Apprentice
Lucario does not look like Mewtwo. Mewtwo is psychic Pokemon and Lucario is fighting/steel Pokemon and can easily kick Mewtwo's bee hind.
Yea... You have your type matchups mixed up. Psychic destroys fighting types. Steel, not so much, but neither of those are effective against psychic types. And types aside, Mewtwo is much stronger statwise than Lucario. I highly doubt a Lucario could ever bring down a Mewtwo, let alone 'easily'.

Eisenherz

Smash Journeyman
Yea... You have your type matchups mixed up. Psychic destroys fighting types. Steel, not so much, but neither of those are effective against psychic types. And types aside, Mewtwo is much stronger statwise than Lucario. I highly doubt a Lucario could ever bring down a Mewtwo, let alone 'easily'.
Dude, DARK PULSE.

redshift71388

Smash Apprentice
Dude, DARK PULSE.
Yea? That hardly settles anything. You say it like Mewtwo can't learn any moves effective against Lucario. Aura Sphere is super effective against Lucario, and Mewtwo can learn that. Psychic can do considerable damage to a Lucario as well.

I'm just presenting facts, but you're arguing simply because you're a Lucario fanboy and you hate Mewtwo for whatever reason. But that doesn't change the fact that Mewtwo is a stronger Pokémon in the Pokémon games, and a Mewtwo raised to competitive status would destroy a Lucario raised to competitive status nine times out of ten.

Xnpio

Smash Cadet
Last time I checked, this a SSBB discussion.. save the pointless arguments over who would win in a pokemon battle for another place.

Eisenherz

Smash Journeyman
Yea? That hardly settles anything. You say it like Mewtwo can't learn any moves effective against Lucario. Aura Sphere is super effective against Lucario, and Mewtwo can learn that. Psychic can do considerable damage to a Lucario as well.

I'm just presenting facts, but you're arguing simply because you're a Lucario fanboy and you hate Mewtwo for whatever reason. But that doesn't change the fact that Mewtwo is a stronger Pokémon in the Pokémon games, and a Mewtwo raised to competitive status would destroy a Lucario raised to competitive status nine times out of ten.

Yep, and you're a Mewtwo fanboy.

Who cares? We all know who got in and who didn't make the cut.

redshift71388

Smash Apprentice
Yep, and you're a Mewtwo fanboy.

Who cares? We all know who got in and who didn't make the cut.
Well that's odd, I don't remember ever showing any preference towards either of them, but whatever.... I'm perfectly aware of who is in the game, and who ended up being a better Smash fighter. I was talking about the Pokémon games, as you started this with your Dark Pulse comment, so don't blame me for getting off track. But no matter, there is no need to drag this on.

corpse_humper

Smash Cadet
His movie was the reason he got in, and that's the same case wiith Mewtwo.
No, it's not.

Mewtwo got in Melee because:

It was originally slated for ssb64.
It was extremely popular at the time.
It was the original legendary and villian of the pokemon series (not counting team rocket of course)

Lucario got in because:

That was who gamefreak was promoting at the time they were creating the roster.
They wanted a non-1st gen pokemon to cater to the more recent fans

Nothing to do with they're movies.

Mewtwo does not look like a fighter,.
umm, if you haven't noticed neither does most of the brawl roster...

How is Mewtwo important to Pokemon? His only real role in any game was being the 'last Pokemon.' And most people know Lucario and Mewtwo; the ones who only know Mewtwo are the ones who've only played Smash.

Mewtwo and Lucario both had a movie of their own, btw.

Two things:

Cinnibar Mansion

And for people only knowing him through smash I would like to bring up the fact that 10.23 million copies were sold of the first gen of pokemon ( R/B/G) and this isn't even counting FR/LG

This is all for the off-chance you're not joking btw... (Mewtwo had 3 btw ;))

In my opinion, if Lucario were to face Chuck Norris, Chuck Norris would be fried in less than a minute.

I've never read such blasphemy in a single sentence. May God have mercy on your soul.

No, we do NOT need over 9000 1st gen representatives, especially overrated ones like Mewtwo.

You can't pull that "but he was original omg!1!1" crap because I've been a Pokemon fan ever since R/B/Y, and I never liked Mewtwo. Lucario is my #1 favorite.

....................That's nice....

Dude, DARK PULSE.

That maybe does a little more than half if you knew anything about the meta-game. Even with that, Mewtwo out speeds lucario every time.

And yes you are a lucario fanboy (No, not the good kind).

I feel so much better now :)

As for the topic at hand:

They share very similar hit boxes
Up smash and side smash are basically the same
lucario's >b works in the SAME way that Mewtwo's did (No it's not comparable with Samus')
lucario's ^b is a visible version of Mewtwo's
lucario's jump and falling animation is the same as Mewtwo's
lucario's tilts are also very similar to Mewtwo's

Not clones but close enough to be called Luigified
(Well IMO anyways >.>)

RickettsZ22

Smash Cadet
I hope he is not like mewtwo, and i don't think that he will be because, M2 kinda sucked as a fighter, he looked more like a graceful animal doing flips and jumping around and you just had ot watch the first couple time that you played him. I hope that lucario isn't all slow and floatly like m2 was, i really really hope not.....

infernovia

Smash Ace
And you're obviously a biased Mewtwo fanboy. Your opinion means nothing to me. Lucario got in over Mewtwo, and there's nothing you can do about it.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/

^ Go to smogon, a competitive pokemon website pretty much void of any smash related activities, and tell them that Lucario is better than Mewtwo. If you aren't willing to take our word for it because of our bias towards Mewtwo, then atleast ask the people who are known to play pokemon competitively and devote most of their time to master the game.

The only thing I can see that Lucario does better than every other pokemon is reversal (Edit: to clear this up, steel resists sandstorm and toxic which allows reversal to be used more effectively). And he is too slow for it to be any use.

But anyway, I think that the people who have been comparing Lucario to Mewtwo definitely have a valid point. Edit: never mind.

Eisenherz

Smash Journeyman
http://www.smogon.com/forums/

^ Go to smogon, a competitive pokemon website pretty much void of any smash related activities, and tell them that Lucario is better than Mewtwo. If you aren't willing to take our word for it because of our bias towards Mewtwo, then atleast ask the people who are known to play pokemon competitively and devote most of their time to master the game.

The only thing I can see that Lucario does better than every other pokemon is reversal (Edit: to clear this up, steel resists sandstorm and toxic which allows reversal to be used more effectively). And he is too slow for it to be any use.

But anyway, I think that the people who have been comparing Lucario to Mewtwo definitely have a valid point. Edit: never mind.

I really don't care. Mewtwo got his *** booted out of Brawl, and that's what matters.

Smogon is full of crybabies anyway.

infernovia

Smash Ace
.... Well then, don't make posts that makes you seem like you have an understanding of pokemon. Or, if it doesn't matter anyway, then don't post about it at all.

Eisenherz

Smash Journeyman
.... Well then, don't make posts that makes you seem like you have an understanding of pokemon. Or, if it doesn't matter anyway, then don't post about it at all.
We were talking about BRAWL (I'd still take Lucario over Mewtwo in the Pokemon games, but this isn't a Pokemon forum, and people need to realize this.)

All the Mewtwo fans really need to direct their sorrow elsewhere, like on a Mewtwo fan forum or something. It's getting annoying.

@Zook: Right on, Lucario ftw.

Like I saw someone post earlier, psychic powers utilize aura. Mewtwo may have psychic powers, but Lucario actually controls the aura it uses. Lucario would render Mewtwo helpless, then just because he's such a badass, he would go in close and whoop the holy hell out of Mewtwo.

dguy6789

Smash Lord
I suppose I will step into this argument, for lack of anything better to do in this Lucario section at the moment.

Lucario is not as cool or as awesome Mewtwo, and that is that.

If you know anything about the pokemon anime, you will know that Mewtwo basically could have controlled the world, but let everyone live because he changed his mind at the last minute. He is one of the few villains who actually could have done whatever he wanted. Lucario on the other hand, had trouble fighting off little enemys in that one movie, and ended up sacrificing his life to save a tree. If Mewtwo was in that movie, he could have defeated all of the enemies in it at the same time without breaking a sweat.

It also isn't very effective to make up something about psychic powers using aura. Psychic powers use the power of the mind. Aura just has to do with life force. If M2 and Lucario were to fight, M2 could rip him in half or turn him into a pretzel in an instant. Lucario has no such ability. M2 could also create massive hurricanes. What can Lucario do; throw little aura balls, see living things with his eyes closed, and use martial arts. Mewtwo uses psychic power, which technically gives him absolute control over the mind of his enemy. He could make Lucario forget who he is. He could pick lucario up just keeping there for as long as he wanted.

Also, repeatedly saying that Lucario got into Brawl while Mewtwo did not has nothing to do with this argument of Mewtwo being superior to Lucario.

All of this said, I do think Lucario is very cool.

Top Bottom