• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A little Wi-Fi clarification please

KingDiDiDiddy

Smash Apprentice
So when you do a random battle with random people will it always be a 4 person FFA or can you choose how many contenders per match?

I have seen many spectator matches of only 2 and 3 people so i was just wondering if their was an option to choose how many people you would like per match

Oh and how is the lag for this game compared to that of Mario Strikers? I seem to get a few games in MS where the lag is terrible and some where there is none at all. Most are nearly perfect with a few rough patches in the middle.

any help would be great

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
When you choose With Anyone, it will always attempt to get four people. If it can't get that many within some time limit, it will just start the match with what you have. You can't choose to play with less players.

pirkid

Smash Lord
You cannot choose to play with a set amount of characters, however if the system cannot find enough characters a 3FA or a 1v1 will occur.

Tgis also affects stage choose and item lists.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
So wifi lag is around less than half a second for long distance? That kinda sucks.
So, basically: don't get your hopes up.

:(

Spork-Ninja-Draken

Smash Apprentice
Well that sucks, I was hoping to be able to play with my American and Canadian friends with not that much lag but it seems I'm mistaken =/ oh well... I will Brawl on >>

pirkid

Smash Lord
So wifi lag is around less than half a second for long distance? That kinda sucks.
So, basically: don't get your hopes up.

:(
Trust me, it sounds bad, but it really isn't. The way it's played is just a bit different, and it won't affect gameplay very much.

Yes, it will try to connect to closest speeds if possible. Usually why it fails at finding someone if theri too far away.

RednaXale

Smash Apprentice
I'm a bit disappointed bout the connections + there only being FFA. Me and my buddy wanted to team up against some Germans.

William101

Smash Cadet
Hey, Can someone tell me how the Wifi Wii codes work? As I see there are people with there console code and then there game specific codes? Just wondering as Brawl will be my first Wifi game that I will own.

altir

Smash Apprentice
Hey, Can someone tell me how the Wifi Wii codes work? As I see there are people with there console code and then there game specific codes? Just wondering as Brawl will be my first Wifi game that I will own.
there is a wii code and a brawl code. if you swap brawl codes, you can play brawl "with friends" with them.

gringo66

Smash Journeyman
From what ive seen so far, im pretty dissappointed with the brawl online. i was def hoping they didnt mess it up. but when i heard that basic brawl with anyone hides info between u and other players i was pretty dissappointed. also hows the stock thing work? and level selection? and items? are there different variations that u can choose? and teams how does that work?

Evil E.

Smash Ace
NNID
Elmoyounasty
Those questions will be clearly answered with more definition in a few days
:p

Jem.

Smash Master
How are all of you that haven't even played it "disappointed" with wifi? You realize when Brawl comes out, you might be playing against your neighbor and dont even know it. AKA, the US version will actually be out, so you can play with closer people >_>. If it bugs you that much, just go to a tournament when there is one and pay money to play in the tournament and drive back home afterwards. Be thankful they even added an online option.

Supersmashbro125

Smash Apprentice
In "With Friends",The Host Chooses If The Match Is A Team Match,Stock Match,Time Match,Coin Match,What Items,And The Stage.Well,The Host Can Change The Match Into Whatever Kind He Wants I Guess.

In "With Anyone",All The Players Choose What Stage They Want to Play On,Items They Want To Use,And Whatever Else They They Can Choose In This Mode,And Then One Of Those Players Decisions Are Chosen Randomly,And You Play With The Options She/He Chose.

Ive Seen A Wi-Fi Match Between Japan vs. N.America Vs.Europe And There Was Hardly Any Lag.

gringo66

Smash Journeyman
How are all of you that haven't even played it "disappointed" with wifi? You realize when Brawl comes out, you might be playing against your neighbor and dont even know it.
First of all, i can say that im dissappointed with it even though i havent played it. i say this because of the information that they released. i am not pleased with the format that they have chosen and therefore leading me to say that i am dissappointed. im not tryin to aruge with anyone here, so sorry if it looks like i am.
In "With Friends",The Host Chooses If The Match Is A Team Match,Stock Match,Time Match,Coin Match,What Items,And The Stage.Well,The Host Can Change The Match Into Whatever Kind He Wants I Guess.

In "With Anyone",All The Players Choose What Stage They Want to Play On,Items They Want To Use,And Whatever Else They They Can Choose In This Mode,And Then One Of Those Players Decisions Are Chosen Randomly,And You Play With The Options She/He Chose.

Ive Seen A Wi-Fi Match Between Japan vs. N.America Vs.Europe And There Was Hardly Any Lag.
well now that i know that, i probably wont play with anyone as much as much as i thought i would. probably for fun though. it looks like i need to get some friendcodes. :chuckle:

Legendary Angel

Smash Apprentice
How are all of you that haven't even played it "disappointed" with wifi? You realize when Brawl comes out, you might be playing against your neighbor and dont even know it. AKA, the US version will actually be out, so you can play with closer people >_>. If it bugs you that much, just go to a tournament when there is one and pay money to play in the tournament and drive back home afterwards. Be thankful they even added an online option.
Fortunately I have six siblings to play with, so I'm covered as far as multiplayer is concerned ;). But at the same time, I'm like the undisputed champion in my family and I always wished for some more competition in Melee. The Wi-Fi addition to Brawl is a blessing to me, regardless of any lag.

What I'm saying is, screw the "less than half-second" lag crud. I'm just glad they even put it in, and like Jem said, if you can't suck it up, just go spend your bucks in tourneys to get your satisfaction.

HiIH

Smash Lord
WIMP

Just get friend codes.

Also I heard that two consoles with four players can engage in an eight player match. Is this correct?

MeleeFan25

Smash Cadet
ah, hate going to have to get friend codes just for team battle, but will still play brawl and online, but just a little disappointed

RaekNeSS

Smash Cadet
if you exchange wii codes with a friend, do you still have to exchange brawl codes? Do wii codes cover every game and brawl code just cover brawl.... or do you need both.

rikerboy

Smash Rookie
Well that sucks, I was hoping to be able to play with my American and Canadian friends with not that much lag but it seems I'm mistaken =/ oh well... I will Brawl on >>
Actually, the long distance lag only occurs in random matches. i have noticed that when playing with friends over in europe and japan, the gameplay is much smoother, and lag spikes are rare and reach half a second at most, but only for an extremely short time.

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
Everybody is compaining about the Brawl's online play against random people. There is no reason to complain because you'll hardly ever have to use it. With this forum's friend finder, you'll always be able to play stock matches if you wanted to. So stop complaining!

Top Bottom