• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A little help modding? ^^;;;

WhiteMaiden

Smash Rookie
Good evening to you all!!

I am sure you receive plenty of these threads or requests, so I apologize if this proves a bother.

I recently began dabbling in modding Melee after discovering Crazy Hand, GCR, Achilles' 20XX, and the DRGN's Melee Mod Manager. Love every single one of those projects/programs!!! Thank you all for such useful tools and all of your hard work :D I am still trying to get used to many of the program's features, especially in crazy hand, and have been reviewing the syntax described in other threads such as Itaru's "New Melee Syntax School", but I am afraid that much of it is over my head at the moment x_x;;; I am sure that I could get the hang of it if I went over it for several hours similar to a school code project xDD And I will eventually! But I still feel as though I need some help on a few things and was hoping for any advice/pointers!

I suppose you could say I am also looking to "rebalance" melee in a way, but it is little more personal and subjective than objective, and I plan on keeping a changelog as well as crediting the proper people/project in case I do end up seeing their version of a character as the most balanced.

Anywho though! The following changes are something I am currently looking into and need help with:

-Having Captain Falcon's/Ganon's Side B tether to the stage's ledge similar to Fox and Falco's Side B. I have gone into subactions and explored anything that might stick out, but no luck so far D:

-Removing L-cancelling. This might seem a little strange at first, but I feel that rather than injecting code to auto l-cancel every aerial, I would prefer to have L-cancelling altogether be removed from the game and manually predetermine the landing lag frames myself. Therefore, is it possible to remove l-cancelling from every character? I assume it would be since some of Mr. Game and Watch's moves cannot be l-cancelled.

-Removing chaingrabbing by having the second[repeated] grab "stale" in a way. Since regular attack moves stale after repeated inputs, I was wondering if it was possible to remove chaingrabbing by having the second grab become "stale", or in reality just allow for the opponent to DI out and escape more easily. This would prevent easily abused chaingrabbing without removing a character's followup options out of throws.

-Removing wobbling. I understand some people enjoy this mechanic, but for me it is just not fun and not something I would like in my version of Melee as I believe it is not fun for either player and even takes away from possible IC hand off plays D; Anywho, is there any possible way to have it so that either Nana will not perform a repeated action after a certain period of time of the opponent being grabbed, or have it so that the opponent can break free instantly after a certain period of time.

There are also other stuff I have in mind, but these are a start more or less! ^^;;;

The Cape

Smash Master
Good evening to you all!!

I am sure you receive plenty of these threads or requests, so I apologize if this proves a bother.

I recently began dabbling in modding Melee after discovering Crazy Hand, GCR, Achilles' 20XX, and the DRGN's Melee Mod Manager. Love every single one of those projects/programs!!! Thank you all for such useful tools and all of your hard work :D I am still trying to get used to many of the program's features, especially in crazy hand, and have been reviewing the syntax described in other threads such as Itaru's "New Melee Syntax School", but I am afraid that much of it is over my head at the moment x_x;;; I am sure that I could get the hang of it if I went over it for several hours similar to a school code project xDD And I will eventually! But I still feel as though I need some help on a few things and was hoping for any advice/pointers!

I suppose you could say I am also looking to "rebalance" melee in a way, but it is little more personal and subjective than objective, and I plan on keeping a changelog as well as crediting the proper people/project in case I do end up seeing their version of a character as the most balanced.

Anywho though! The following changes are something I am currently looking into and need help with:

-Having Captain Falcon's/Ganon's Side B tether to the stage's ledge similar to Fox and Falco's Side B. I have gone into subactions and explored anything that might stick out, but no luck so far D:

-Removing L-cancelling. This might seem a little strange at first, but I feel that rather than injecting code to auto l-cancel every aerial, I would prefer to have L-cancelling altogether be removed from the game and manually predetermine the landing lag frames myself. Therefore, is it possible to remove l-cancelling from every character? I assume it would be since some of Mr. Game and Watch's moves cannot be l-cancelled.

-Removing chaingrabbing by having the second[repeated] grab "stale" in a way. Since regular attack moves stale after repeated inputs, I was wondering if it was possible to remove chaingrabbing by having the second grab become "stale", or in reality just allow for the opponent to DI out and escape more easily. This would prevent easily abused chaingrabbing without removing a character's followup options out of throws.

-Removing wobbling. I understand some people enjoy this mechanic, but for me it is just not fun and not something I would like in my version of Melee as I believe it is not fun for either player and even takes away from possible IC hand off plays D; Anywho, is there any possible way to have it so that either Nana will not perform a repeated action after a certain period of time of the opponent being grabbed, or have it so that the opponent can break free instantly after a certain period of time.

There are also other stuff I have in mind, but these are a start more or less! ^^;;;

So let's see:

For Falcon and Ganon:
In Move Logic gos to the moves below (131 for both) and change the collision logic to what I have pasted there. This will make their non hitting side Bs go to the ledge.

Falcon: Collision 131: 80 0E 50 D8
Ganon: 131 Collision: 80 0E 50 D8

Stopping Wobbling:
Stop Infinite Grab Combos v2
[Glook]
C208EE48 00000006
887D2226 70630020
4082001C C01D1A4C
C02296F0 FC000840
4C401382 40820008
38000000 2C000000
60000000 00000000

This creates an issue with Ganon's UpB when it grabs grounded opponents, but I have a fix in the image I posted.

Essentially I changed the graphic in the Up-B Hold loop to another hitbox. The way this works is that the tiny hitbox on his head does the general looping on the opponents and the other larger hitbox makes Ganon hit others in teams or FFAs like before.

As for L Cancelling:
In PiCo.dat you can change these:
0xA0C4 00000007 7 l-cancel, frames before landing to hit L/R/Z
0xA0C8 40000000 2 l-cancel, animation speed division

I would change the first to 0 and the second to 1

You so funny

Last edited:

WhiteMaiden

Smash Rookie
So let's see:

For Falcon and Ganon:
In Move Logic gos to the moves below (131 for both) and change the collision logic to what I have pasted there. This will make their non hitting side Bs go to the ledge.

Falcon: Collision 131: 80 0E 50 D8
Ganon: 131 Collision: 80 0E 50 D8

Stopping Wobbling:
Stop Infinite Grab Combos v2
[Glook]
C208EE48 00000006
887D2226 70630020
4082001C C01D1A4C
C02296F0 FC000840
4C401382 40820008
38000000 2C000000
60000000 00000000

This creates an issue with Ganon's UpB when it grabs grounded opponents, but I have a fix in the image I posted.

Essentially I changed the graphic in the Up-B Hold loop to another hitbox. The way this works is that the tiny hitbox on his head does the general looping on the opponents and the other larger hitbox makes Ganon hit others in teams or FFAs like before.

As for L Cancelling:
In PiCo.dat you can change these:
0xA0C4 00000007 7 l-cancel, frames before landing to hit L/R/Z
0xA0C8 40000000 2 l-cancel, animation speed division

I would change the first to 0 and the second to 1

You so funny

Eeee!!! Thank you so much! I have gone through and applied most of it, aside from Glook's code[is it gecko? Still fumbling around with the mod manager on how to insert my own codes and overwrites xD], this works very well and solved an issue I was having where the L-cancel always on code would sometimes not execute an L-cancel on a move at random for some odd reason, or even mess with an auto cancel now and then. Eliminating L-cancelling altogether has fixed this completely so far!

There is only one issue regarding the change in Falcon/Ganon's collision values to have the side B grab ledge, and that it causes the landing lag to become static and default to its original value [or at least not able to be altered from Crazy Hand's options anymore]. It is not a major problem and I assume there is a workaround I am missing, but it would pose an issue if I wanted to alter the values later o:

Otherwise, thank you so much once again! You have been amazingly helpful! C: And even though I know the post above you is a quick snark, I am still flattered that UnclePunch posted a message :D Love his work with 64 mods for Melee.

The Cape

Smash Master
Eeee!!! Thank you so much! I have gone through and applied most of it, aside from Glook's code[is it gecko? Still fumbling around with the mod manager on how to insert my own codes and overwrites xD], this works very well and solved an issue I was having where the L-cancel always on code would sometimes not execute an L-cancel on a move at random for some odd reason, or even mess with an auto cancel now and then. Eliminating L-cancelling altogether has fixed this completely so far!

There is only one issue regarding the change in Falcon/Ganon's collision values to have the side B grab ledge, and that it causes the landing lag to become static and default to its original value [or at least not able to be altered from Crazy Hand's options anymore]. It is not a major problem and I assume there is a workaround I am missing, but it would pose an issue if I wanted to alter the values later o:

Otherwise, thank you so much once again! You have been amazingly helpful! C: And even though I know the post above you is a quick snark, I am still flattered that UnclePunch posted a message :D Love his work with 64 mods for Melee.
The collision change for side B miss is for UpB, they now share landing lag with that.

WhiteMaiden

Smash Rookie
The collision change for side B miss is for UpB, they now share landing lag with that.
Ah! Interesting. Is there any chance to be able to alter the landing lag of one's value without the other being affected? If not, that is fine, I will just leave it alone. I am ultimately just curious of course x) Thank you again!

Last edited:

The Cape

Smash Master
Ah! Interesting. Is there any chance to be able to alter the landing lag of one's value without the other being affected? If not, that is fine, I will just leave it alone. I am ultimately just curious of course x) Thank you again!
Not sure yet. I think there might be a better way to do this, but this is what I have found.

Likely if the animation is still the same you could use an FSM to affect it. Doubtful though as I think it's the special fall animation and then there is a bit that determines the amount of frames.

WhiteMaiden

Smash Rookie
Not sure yet. I think there might be a better way to do this, but this is what I have found.

Likely if the animation is still the same you could use an FSM to affect it. Doubtful though as I think it's the special fall animation and then there is a bit that determines the amount of frames.
I'll certainly tinker with it, thank you! C: I am not quite so certain how to implement Glook's Stop Infinite grabs code as an actual patch through DRGN's Melee Mod manager though. I could just use it as a dolphin code I suppose, but I am looking to have it as an actual hard patch.

Edit: Sorry, I am still new to all of this xDD I didn't even realize how much Crazy Hand had changed since I first downloaded it over a year ago[version 1.22].

Last edited:

WhiteMaiden

Smash Rookie
Copy and paste the code into MCM as a new code. I think it's a Gecko code

Hello hello again! Recently I have been attempting to mess with a few other character's Side B move logic and subaction data in order to have the moves tether to the ledge as well, though have been unsuccessful with certain characters such as Luigi. Would you perhaps be able to aid in that area once again? If not, I understand of course and still thank you for all your previous help C:

The Cape

Smash Master
Hello hello again! Recently I have been attempting to mess with a few other character's Side B move logic and subaction data in order to have the moves tether to the ledge as well, though have been unsuccessful with certain characters such as Luigi. Would you perhaps be able to aid in that area once again? If not, I understand of course and still thank you for all your previous help C:
What do you need?

WhiteMaiden

Smash Rookie
What do you need?
In particular, I just need some help trying to have Luigi's Side B tether to the ledge similar to how we have had Captain Falcon's do so. I have tried messing with the collision interruptions in the move logic to match the Up-B, but that doesn't seem to work. I then began messing around with the IASA and timers in the subactions thinking that the fact that Luigi's Up-B can only grab the edge after 27 frames might have something to do with it, but still no luck!

Last edited:

The Cape

Smash Master
In particular, I just need some help trying to have Luigi's Side B tether to the ledge similar to how we have had Captain Falcon's do so. I have tried messing with the collision interruptions in the move logic to match the Up-B, but that doesn't seem to work. I then began messing around with the IASA and timers in the subactions thinking that the fact that Luigi's Up-B can only grab the edge after 27 frames might have something to do with it, but still no luck!
I don't have it in front of me currently, but remember that you can only grab the ledge while falling. Therefore Luigi would have to be moving downwards in order to snap.

Also, are there more than one animations? I think initial, charge, launch, cool down, etc. It would be best on the cool down portion.

WhiteMaiden

Smash Rookie
I don't have it in front of me currently, but remember that you can only grab the ledge while falling. Therefore Luigi would have to be moving downwards in order to snap.

Also, are there more than one animations? I think initial, charge, launch, cool down, etc. It would be best on the cool down portion.

There appear to be 3 different stages:

A startup, a version when chargeing the Side B, and then the end. There are two nameless stages called [SpecialS(#x##)] but I haven't messed with those yet.

There are also 3 different versions of the Side-B animation in the subaction menu, but none of them seem to have what I am looking for[I think, I could be wrong].

Last edited:

The Cape

Smash Master
There appear to be 3 different stages:

A startup, a version when chargeing the Side B, and then the end. There are two nameless stages called [SpecialS(#x##)] but I haven't messed with those yet.

There are also 3 different versions of the Side-B animation in the subaction menu, but none of them seem to have what I am looking for[I think, I could be wrong].
The two S specials are normal and misfire. Appears you want the S Special End

WhiteMaiden

Smash Rookie

Indeed, I tried modifying the collision interrupt address to match the Up-B collision interrupt data:

But unfortunately, I either have the incorrect Up-B value or it is simply not working.

WhiteMaiden

Smash Rookie
Thank you for all of your help! I managed to jerryrig a workaround by using Fox and Falco's Side B End collision interrupt data: 80 0E AB CC

I might consider using this from now on when a tether doesn't behave properly x)

Top Bottom