• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A List of Viable Falcon Approaches

Sans Glutin

Smash Ace
Well as we all know, Captain Falcon is challenged somewhat in the department of approaching his opponents. I decided that it would benefit me (and hopefully some of you as well) to list usable Captain Falcon approaches here. Post any that you like that work well and I'll edit them into this post.

• Spaced nairs or bairs
• Falcon Kick
• Dash attack (Dash dance or fox trot into this to mix it up)
• When they're expecting dash attacks you can do dashing grabs or jabs.
• Autocancelled gimped knees followed by Up-B (YES! Combo), Jab (which can lead to grab), or Falcon Kick.
• Hyphen Up-Smash.
• Short Hop over opponent while airdodging -> Raptor Boost the other way as soon as you hit the ground.

Iwan

Smash Ace
I also like to short hop>airdodge over someone>raptor boost towards them. It works really well as a little mind game, and using that tactic increases the chances of the raptor boost actually hitting.

Another one is obviously the Falcon kick. It's probably his most useful approach overall, although I've seen a few players make great use out of defensively played, spaced sh'd nairs/bairs, which worked quite well.

Running A is also extremely useful...quite often you can pull of running A> Up Tilt> aerial pursuit. Dash grabbing can also work occasionally....and pivot grabbing works if you're feeling bold.

Lastly, a dashing up smash works quite nicely with falcon, because he gets so much sliding distance on it that you can take your opponent off guard quite frequently.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

BananaTrooper

Smash Journeyman
Yeah sorry, shoulda been clearer. I meant auto cancelled knees, so unless your opponent actively hops into it, it wil be wiffed. Also, grabs and the falcon kick work as follow ups as well.

BananaTrooper

Smash Journeyman
If you train em enough to expect dash attacks or dash grabs, dash into shield->shieldgrab/jab works well also.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
As pathetic as it sounds, spamming Utilt CAN be effective in certain situations due to its "walk" property. When I played my matches with ArtieBoy, I found that if I got him on the very edge of a platform and then spammed it, he couldn't really do much against it. For an example of what I mean by very edge I mean like the ends of the stage on the ground floor of Battlefield or simply the ends of Final Destination. You can space yourself out of the attack's range, then spam it and you'll "walk" into range automatically without allowing them to do much. It's not foolproof, but it can work in that situation and in a few others. I really am starting to like Utilt more and more as I use it more creatively.

Top Bottom